HP Laptop charging jack problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HP Laptop charging jack problem

Big Dog Dad
01-09-2011, 15:04
I've got an HP laptop with a changing jack in the laptop itself that is going bad. If I just plug the charger in, it won't charge, but if I put some sideways pressure on the plug, it will charge. Does anyone know if this is something that can handled by the average computer tinkerer? I called Best Buy and they want about $130 to replace the jack. I live in the Pittsburgh area (south hills) if anyone knows a fair, reasonable, and most of all, competent repair shop that I could take this to if it's not something that I should attempt.

Mike

IndyGunFreak
01-09-2011, 15:18
It generally involves some soldering, complete disassembly of the laptop, etc.

It's not something a novice is going to want to undertake.

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/06/dc-power-jack-repair-guide/

Pierre!
01-09-2011, 18:05
It generally involves some soldering, complete disassembly of the laptop, etc.

It's not something a novice is going to want to undertake.

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/06/dc-power-jack-repair-guide/

I agree with Indy on this 100%!

You want to pay a fair price to get it fixed once and for all.... an inexperienced tech may not have a problem soldering the powerjack... but may bugger up the re-assembly!

That's gonna make a difference, especially with re-applying the thermal paste effectively.

Good Luck with this!

IndyGunFreak
01-09-2011, 18:18
Does $130 include parts and labor? If so, that honestly doesn't sound like to bad of a price. I'd find out what type of guarantee you get, etc.

I know you said its out of warranty, but have you contacted HP and asked them what they would charge if you ship them the laptop for the repair? You might find the price is similar, and I imagine the factory would have competent people to complete the repair.

CitizenOfDreams
01-09-2011, 21:05
Remember that nerd with thick glasses you used to bully in high school? He could fix it. :supergrin: