W.a.s.p? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : W.a.s.p?

G26man
01-09-2011, 17:43
Weapon Armored Surface Protectant is a metal treatment process CMMG uses on the bore, chamber, and barrel exterior of their LE models. It's similar to Glock's Tennifer process from what I understand and they claim it is more durable than chrome lining. I'm currently looking for a mid to low cost AR and I think I can get one of these rifles at less cost than what is typical for an AR with a chrome chamber and bore. Anyone have any experience with or particular knowledge of it? How about CMMG ARs in general?

I'm not concerned about reliability issues, etc. I just want a chrome or WASP bore for the less intensive maintenance it will require.

crazymoose
01-10-2011, 07:14
I know of plenty of people who are happy with nitrocarburized barrels (that's what Tenifer, Melonite, etc. are). As far as whether or not barrel life will be better or worse than chrome, I can't say, because so few people really shoot enough to wear out barrels. The only direct comparison I've ever seen of nitrocarburization vs. chrome was a military test of machine gun barrels. The chromed barrel came out on top. However, the chromed barrel also had a Stellite-lined chamber/throat area, which sort of makes the comparison meaningless. The throat is the first part of the barrel to go (and the part that kills any accuracy), so all we really know is that Stellite is better than nitrocarburized steel, and not how the latter compares to a totally chrome-lined bore.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

G26man
01-10-2011, 10:02
Thanks moose, good info.

farmer-dave
01-10-2011, 12:22
Here's a stupid question, does the wasp treatment make the inside of the barrel black or does it resemble something else.

remember911
01-10-2011, 17:16
Go with Chrome and park or S/S

G26man
01-10-2011, 22:24
Go with Chrome and park or S/S

Over WASP? What do you base your recommendation on?

crazymoose
01-11-2011, 00:39
Here's a stupid question, does the wasp treatment make the inside of the barrel black or does it resemble something else.

It will be more or less black.

One thing I strongly suspect that the nitrocarburized barrel has going for it is a resistance to gas port erosion (which is a big source of problems on AR's with carbine-length and shorter gas systems). Hot, high-pressure gas essentially slowly vaporizes the walls of the gas port in the barrel, widening it over time. This occurs at a higher rate in short barrels, and the problems manifest themselves more quickly, as the short barrels already operate at gas pressures well above what the direct impingement system was designed for. I have not tested my theory or seen tests, but I strongly believe that the nitrocarburized gas port will take significantly longer to erode and enlarge than a port on a chromed barrel (since the chrome is not applied to the port).
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

remember911
01-12-2011, 09:35
No one out there can tell me that wasp is better,and what reason is there for changing something that has worked for so many years. If you what wasp use it I will not. For a true flat black finish it has to be park.