Sr556 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sr556

thecableguy
01-09-2011, 16:53
Anyone here own one? What do you guys think of them? I am considering picking one up someday and wanted to know what is the general thought on them.

mixflip
01-09-2011, 17:58
I like them but it had some deal breakers for me personally at that price point of $1500.

Here is the article I wrote up on it that points out those deal breakers. For the record I'd still buy one if the price was about $800? Keep in mind the features that I consider deal breakers arent necessarily negatives to others. Its a good gun regardless what my opinion is.

http://www.gunsandgearreview.com/2010/11/why-i-passed-on-ruger-sr556_26.html

thecableguy
01-09-2011, 18:37
Thanks for that review MIXFLIP. You do have some good points. i am going to look into the Stag and M&P that you pointed out also.

mixflip
01-09-2011, 18:44
No problem. Someone here recently picked up one for about $900? Thats a screaming deal that I'd jump on too. Like I said its a good gun if you fully understand the pro's & con's and are ok with them.

MCKNBRD
01-09-2011, 20:15
I don't know...I like the SR-556, and would love to have one; I just can't justify the cost of a new 5.56 (SR-556, ACR, SCAR...any of them). Of course, I'm not a tacticool-ninja-sniper-operator, so I look at things a bit differently.

They're reliable, solid, easy to shoot (and shoot accurate strings of rapid fire), and come with a lot of features not on other ARs.

They are heavy for a 16" gun and they feel more front heavy than DI ARs. ALL piston guns do. An amazing thing happens when you add heavy parts over the front of a rifle; it gets heavier, and more of that weight is generally around where those parts were added. Ergo, its front heavy. Not a bad thing for accuracy, at all.

The quad rail was designed for this gun; like most Ruger products, its overbuilt and heavier than it should be. If you don't like the fact that you can't take it off easily, well, you have to figure out if that factor is a deal-breaker or not. I don't know many folks that regularly take their forends off once they're installed, but its your call.

On the same line, the gas block is easy to keep clean and maintain; just turn the piston till it comes out and feel free to scrub away. If you just have to have the op rod and spring out, well, break out your pin punches and start hammering away. If you wear the roll pin out, well, get an appropriately sized bolt and substitute it.

The bolt carrier is also specific to the SR-556; the shrouded pin is STRICTLY for automatic rifles. The performance is not degraded, its not less reliable, its not bad at all, just different from the mil standard. But, you need to recall that it is NOT an M4 or M16; many things on it are better than the military requirements.

1:9 twist barrel? Well, considering that the vast majority of 5.56 ammo sold is 55gr and significant amounts of the varmint ammo are 10-20% LIGHTER than that, its not hard to see why the 1:9 twist rate is selected for the vast majority of civilian ARs. If you tried to shoot 40gr hollowpoint varmint bullet through the 1:7 twist, you're going to overstabilize the bullet (degrading accuracy) and likely fragment the jacket shortly after leaving the barrel due to centripetal force. 1:9 will shoot pretty much anything from around 40gr to around 70gr. If you go with 1:7, you're looking at 55gr to around 80gr. You've got to ask yourself, what are you going to shoot most? Cheap 55 & 62 grain stuff, or the high-end 70+gr stuff?

Cost is something you'll have to decide on; you get a LOT of stuff for the $1400ish that they run. I'll say that chrome plating the gas system, bolt, barrel and chamber, the Troy rail & sights, Hogue grip, nice carry case, 3x Pmags, and piston system add up to a pretty decent gun for that price. Is it the best AR ever? Nah, probably not. But if its got features you like, performs well, and is in your budget, pick one up.

Us folks on the interweb have our opinions; ultimately, you need to analyze your needs, wants, and budget, and choose accordingly.

Byrdman

For a home defense rifle, the 55gr does everything you'll need it to do. The SR-556 will be reliable, accurate, solid, and durable in that role, too.

nipperwolf
01-10-2011, 17:13
Take this fwiw;

http://ingunowners.com/forums/long_guns/126882-ruger_ar_customer_service_report.html

I know, it's only one report..........::supergrin:

He sent it in after only 1500 rounds due to buffer wear. Ruger replaced upper receiver, buffer tube & retainer, bolt carrier group, safety & detent, repaired: chamber & feed ramps. :shocked:

He got it back, fired 120 rounds. It's starting to show wear in the same place in the buffer. His thread could be an interesting thread to follow.

Again, take it fwiw. :supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
01-10-2011, 17:33
I like the flash hider on the Ruger,.........that's about all.

thecableguy
01-10-2011, 17:57
Wow. Humm something tells me to look elsewhere for a piston AR. What others do you guys recommend?

nipperwolf
01-10-2011, 18:04
Wow. Humm something tells me to look elsewhere for a piston AR. What others do you guys recommend?

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1301666

bowbender7
01-10-2011, 18:40
Had one, thought it was the cats meow, and then traded it for another DI gun. It was showing horrible buffer tube wear within 100 rounds.

Decided I'd rather have have a gun that wears well albeit a little more cleaning.

Actually bought it on impulse based on the mechanical reasoning and a good salesperson (am one myself). The reality is that DI works and disperses bolt carrier recoil in the correct fashion. Gas pistons work well when designed around being a gas piston platform. IMO

mixflip
01-11-2011, 01:27

Well since you asked I'll use this opportunity to plug my beloved Stag Model 8.

Instead of writing all the things I like about it and how it has been holding up to my abuse...check out my videos. Its alot easier since my typing skills suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1KJeSu1HdY review part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4J9ywkES5Q review part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frTrQwvBZo0 my latest after action report

You can also get a CMMG piston AR for the exact same price as the Stag the last I checked. S&W has one too for about $400 more than the Stag and CMMG. Everything else is gonna cost you bookoo bucks. Oh, ADDAX makes a top tier piston upper for $800 if top tier is a must? I am not hard core so mid tier was ok for me. If I were to do it all over again I might actually have gone with ADDAX? Their guns are sexy!