Dell Laptop help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dell Laptop help

Jay S.
01-09-2011, 19:03
Hoping someone can help me out here. My daughters Dell 1545 Inspiron laptop running windows 7 64bit has crashed and I cannot restart it. It started out locking up/freezing and now will not boot up. Before it completely crapped out it was getting boot errors and I tried to run the fix/mbr utility with no success. I now get a Boot sector not found error. I have tried to create a system recovery disk from my laptop which is the same model but I get an error with that as well. Is this a lost cause or is there any recovery software that I can download and boot from? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jay S.
01-09-2011, 19:15
Update: I was able to get to the Symptom tree to test the system. It failed the SATA Disk confidence test. I got an Error code 0f00:1344
Msg: DSK – Block 88448: can’t read replace disk. Looks like I'll have to put in a new hard drive and have Dell send me the Windows 7 install disk. Just a month out of warranty too. Damn.:faint:

wrenrj1
01-09-2011, 19:22
Yep, bad disk. Had this happen to my Dell Laptop as well. Go to BB or Newegg and buy another drive, make sure it's the right one for laptops. I had installed a Windows 7 upgrade to Vista prior to the crash. It's not too hard to fix, you just need your install disks. Also, the Dell website is a good resource. You can download drivers for your exact laptop based on serial number and transfer over to your laptop.

you do need another computer and flash drive to do so. I did it, you can...

IndyGunFreak
01-09-2011, 19:26
Update: I was able to get to the Symptom tree to test the system. It failed the SATA Disk confidence test. I got an Error code 0f00:1344
Msg: DSK Ė Block 88448: canít read replace disk. Looks like I'll have to put in a new hard drive and have Dell send me the Windows 7 install disk. Just a month out of warranty too. Damn.:faint:

Laptop hard drives... are usually pretty simple. Tigerdirect and Newegg will have better deals on 2.5in drives than BB. If you're not afraid of Ebay, you can find them NIB on there also (thats where I bought my current laptop HD)

IGF

havensal
01-10-2011, 14:24
Try formatting and reinstalling the OS first. I have had a couple of Dell laptops reciently that have done this.

The first running XP is still going strong after reinstall. That was probably 6 months ago.

The other is running fine after the second reinstall. I told them the next time just replace the HDD.

Every time the OS partition was gone, Raw. The other partitions were fine. :dunno:

I don't know if it was a bad Windows update or virus or what.

On the second laptop mentioned above I even managed to format and recover most of their files.

Jay S.
01-10-2011, 18:27
Try formatting and reinstalling the OS first. I have had a couple of Dell laptops reciently that have done this.

The first running XP is still going strong after reinstall. That was probably 6 months ago.

The other is running fine after the second reinstall. I told them the next time just replace the HDD.

Every time the OS partition was gone, Raw. The other partitions were fine. :dunno:

I don't know if it was a bad Windows update or virus or what.

On the second laptop mentioned above I even managed to format and recover most of their files.

I just ordered a 320gb hard drive from Tiger Direct but I will try that first. If it works, I will just keep the new HD as a backup.

gemeinschaft
01-18-2011, 10:13
So, what happened? Are you all sorted out now?

handyman
01-18-2011, 17:04
My friends dad is having is hard drive replaced today its also a dell.

Jay S.
01-18-2011, 18:53
So, what happened? Are you all sorted out now?

I did get it all sorted out but had a hell of a time with Dell. They kept me on the phone for over an hour and kept telling me that because the laptop was out of warranty, I would have to pay for the Windows 7 install disc. I argued that I understood that it was out of warranty and I did not expect them to replace my hard drive, but I had paid for Windows 7 when I bought the laptop (through Dell) and that the disc should have come with the laptop to begin with. Long story short, after several operators and transfers I got the disc overnighted to me free of charge. It was a snap to replace the hard drive and re-install the OS. My daughters laptop is up and running now. Thanks again to everyone for all of the help.

gemeinschaft
01-18-2011, 19:34
Awesome!

Is she running adequate Anti-virus? If not, I would suggest Avast. It is free for home users and much lighter than Norton. I have run it for years without issues.

BarrySDCA
01-18-2011, 19:37
if you are not up to fixing it yourself, I can higly recommend a company in san diego called "Portable Source". I have no interest in the company but know the crew from many years in the industry here. top-noch

sounds like you need to replace the hard disk and use the included rescue disks to install it again. you can still recover data from the old hard disk with a USB cable made for these things. I think they cost about $20 or so

BarrySDCA
01-18-2011, 19:38
oops...I should read completely next time. man these threads move fast

glad to see you got it fixed!

Jay S.
01-18-2011, 21:06
Awesome!

Is she running adequate Anti-virus? If not, I would suggest Avast. It is free for home users and much lighter than Norton. I have run it for years without issues.

I installed AVG on all of our laptops and just before her hard drive died noticed hers acting funny. I think she picked up a virus but I guess I'll never know. I now have the Avast suite on all computers. One subscription will cover three computers so it wasn't too bad.