Ruger 22/45 problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 22/45 problems

NRV Shooter
01-09-2011, 21:34
I shot my Ruger 22/45 last week and it FTF and FTE numerous times with old Winchester Wildcat ammo. I cleaned the gun per the instruction manual and shot it again yesterday with two year old Remington "Golden Bullet" ammo from a 550 round bonus pack. The first clip FTF about three times and FTE more than that. The second clip was worse than that so I parked it. Several times the slide didn't close all the way. One round FTF through three cyclings, with the appropriate "cook off" time between each cycle. Not pleasant!

I have not shot the gun in probably five years and never did shoot it much back then, but I seem to remember some of the same problems, which seems to me the reason I haven't shot it much in the last five years.

I am going to try some very fresh CCI ammo this week and see if it functions properly.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

DJ Niner
01-09-2011, 23:09
If it doesn't work MUCH better with CCI Mini-mags, then that will be a bad sign. It almost HAS to get better, though; in my experience, you initially picked two of the absolutely worse kinds of ammo available. There is a very good reason that those two are almost always left on the shelf when everything else is sold out. :supergrin:

You might check on the top-rear edge of the chamber for a burr caused by dry-firing; if there is a burr there, it will often interfere with both feeding AND extraction, causing the types of problems you are seeing. Put a drop of lube on the plunger/spring behind the extractor, in the slot on the right side of the bolt, to make sure the extractor is not binding up (same thing, will interfere with feeding/extraction). Gently work the extractor side-to-side with a fingertip to make sure the lube is distributed and the extractor is moving freely, but don't pull too hard or too far, or it might pop right out.

Final thing it a magazine check; is it malfunctioning with one magazine more often that the other(s)? If so, the mag(s) might be contributing to the problem. See the link below for more info:

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/10/mkii-magazine-tweak.html

NRV Shooter
01-10-2011, 08:47
Thanks DJ, I'll check for the burr and the lube. I have two magazines and I'll try both with some good ammo.

I know that ammo I used isn't the best, especially for an auto loader, but I had it lying around and just got back into shooting this gun so thought I would use what I had. I'll do the checks, correct any problems, and run some good stuff through it and see what happens. If it isn't any better I can always trade it on a Glock! Thanks again! :cool::cool:

NDGlock
01-10-2011, 14:15
I used to have a very problematic 22/45 mkIII. It had a polymer frame (is there any other option in the 22/45 line??) and would jam often, with different magazines.

I ended up selling it and now have a regular MKIII in Target config. It has been VERY reliable at around 600 rounds through it so far.

My issue was that it seemed the mag wasn't high enough in the 22/45. I would often get rounds jammed where the bullet would be lodged with a deep gouge in them against the bottom edge of the feed ramp.

I made sure the mags were fully seated and it look like the top round in the mags were up against the bottom edge of the feed lips. So, there was no binding in the mags to account for this.

I could have had a lemon but it was frustrating as it balanced nicely.

That said, I'm happy with the MK III, non-22/45 version.

FLSlim
01-10-2011, 14:46
ALL of my old model 22/45 FTF issues have been ammo related. I would start there--potentially the quick & easy fix. If that doesn't help, DJ 9er's possible fixes sure seem reasonable.

NRV Shooter
01-12-2011, 16:54
After checking for burrs (none there) and thoroughly cleaning an lubing the gun, especially the extractor, I ran 50 rounds of CCI MiniMag round nose through it today, using two different magazines, with absolutely no problems...just like a kitten lapping cream.

Thanks to all for the help!