Lefties shooting right-handed AR's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lefties shooting right-handed AR's

J. Parker
01-10-2011, 15:49
Are there any lefties shooting right-handed AR's? Any problems to think about?

~Thanks, John

Captains1911
01-10-2011, 15:54
Are there any lefties shooting right-handed AR's? Any problems to think about?

~Thanks, John

Well, I'm a rightie and have shot a buddies leftie AR several times, no problem at all. IMO leftie ARs are a gimmick.

mjkeat
01-10-2011, 16:41
Im a lefty and have been shooting right handed since I picked up a firearm over 25+ years ago.

MisterPX
01-10-2011, 16:55
Not a lefty, but shoot left handed about 25% of the time. No issues, except when you're rollover prone and the brass lands on your neck. ;)

Hedo1
01-10-2011, 16:58
I'm a leftie and own and shoot right hand AR's. No issues.

They're set up backwards as far as I'm concerned :) but nothing you don't get used to.

BBJones
01-10-2011, 17:24
I am RH but shoot long guns LH (left eye dominant and like to keep both eyes open) including AR's. No problems what-so-ever. You may want to get an ambi-mag release (Troy industries is my preference), and ambi-charging handle (I don't use one so no recommendations, but might in future). I prefer ambi-safteys so I would use one no matter if I was LH or RH.

I would not recommend anyone getting a LH AR. There is no point and you limit yourself in parts.

BigDaddyK
01-10-2011, 17:36
Yeah no problems for me either. Just practice the operation of it and you should be fine. I'd say it's about as easy for a lefty to operate as it is a righty.

Jon_R
01-10-2011, 17:48
Lefty shooting normal ARs for a while.

The only thing I change on them is I like the colt safety and put the lever on the right hand side so I can run it with my left thumb. The colt safety is cut so you can put it on either side.

I might try an ambi charging handle to see if I like it otherwise the rest is just standard setup.

RyanNREMTP
01-10-2011, 18:09
I shoot a right handed Colt left handed and the only problem I've encountered was the hot brass hitting me in the face or going down the back of my shirt. I solved that problem by buying a brass deflector from Brownells. It was cheap and fits onto the flat top. Since then no issues. Everything else I just practiced and trained so it's not an issue.

raven11
01-10-2011, 18:13
I'm a lefty and shoot right handed AR's with no problem

MrMurphy
01-10-2011, 18:43
I'm a righty, but i've shot M16s and M4's left handed when necessary. Except in some very extreme shooting positions, nothing to worry about. That case deflector is there for a reason.

vafish
01-10-2011, 20:15
My son is left handed, he has not problems at all shooting AR15's and AK47's left handed.

KK40384
01-10-2011, 21:23
I've noticed only one issue with a lefty (a friend of mine) shooting my AR this weekend. When he was shooting with the stock fully collapsed with a hat on, it would occasionally catch spent brass and smack him in the forehead. Happened once or twice a mag. Once he took his hat off he was good to go.

southpaw45
01-10-2011, 22:44
Im a lefty and I shoot a right handed ARs all the time. Never had any problems and never caught any brass in the face. It works so good for me that I thought they were designed for us southpaws. The only think I changed was to install an ambu saftey and charging handle latch..

CAcop
01-10-2011, 23:45
No problems for me. Ambi selector is nice but not mandatory. Ambi mag relase would be good for tac reloads. I suppose ambi charging handle would be nice too.

As it is with work the only thing they allow us lefties is an ambi selector and sometimes those aren't available so I just use a right handed gun.

DJ Niner
01-11-2011, 01:17
As long as the upper receiver has the brass deflector "bump" (highlighted in green, below), then you'll be good-to-go. Some older ARs (Colt SP-1s and other retro models) and thick-walled-upper-receiver varmint-style ARs don't have the brass deflector; if those are shot lefty, then the shooter may get some hot brass in the face.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5913/brassdeflectorhilighted.jpg

Add-on brass deflectors are available, or you can use a brass catcher that covers the ejection port and traps the empty cases in a bag or box.

AFPD118
01-11-2011, 07:23
Lefty i have shoot righty ARs sense my Army days, no problems. Both my Stags are right handed, hard to sell lefty guns, and not sure i would like one anyway :)

AK_Stick
01-11-2011, 07:35
I've taught several people, and dozens of soldiers to shoot left handed.

Its a non issue, as long as you've got a brass deflector.

drizzle
01-11-2011, 08:41
Anyone have a link to a LH charging handle?

Glockdude1
01-11-2011, 09:01
Anyone have a link to a LH charging handle?

http://www.dlsports.com/ar15_side_charging_handle/pics_011606_ar15_side_charging_handle_1_large.jpg

$288

http://www.dlsports.com/ar15_side_charging_handle.html

:cool:

Stinger260
01-11-2011, 09:23
I am left handed and Don't even think about it anymore it just comes natural now. I have never shot a left handed gun of any kind.

J. Parker
01-11-2011, 10:33
I really appreciate everyone's replies.....thanks much. Could I get some links for AR accessories? Brass deflectors, etc?

Of all the guns that have come and gone I've never had an AR. I'm picking up my AR in a day or two. I'm getting it from a long time gun trading buddy whom I trust. It's got a CMMG upper with a Mega lower and Magpul accessories. Flat top with removable rear open sight. I'm excited about it.:supergrin:

Once again thanks, John

RyanNREMTP
01-11-2011, 11:49
Here's a link for a brass deflector. Same brand I use. Never did understand why I'm one of the few ones that have hot brass hit me in the face and other places.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=363

You might need to be creative after putting it on the AR. Especially if you have optics or anything else mounted on the flat top. I had to move my optic a little further down but still works great.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj172/RyanNREMTP/100_2410.jpg

MrMurphy
01-11-2011, 12:18
The bump behind your brass deflector IS the brass deflector.

I'd be interested to see how you shoot, since shooting lefty i've never found a need for anything but the built in one.

RyanNREMTP
01-11-2011, 12:54
I know it has one already. It wasn't every single shot but maybe five out of a 30 round magazine. I got a nice second degree burn on my back where one spent case went down my shirt.

The only other thing I could do was pull the stock out the farthest it would go. But then I might get hit once or twice.

I've shot different brands of ammo in it: Monarch, S&B, Federal, Winchester. I can't recall right now which ones were the worse.

CAcop
01-11-2011, 13:05
http://www.dlsports.com/ar15_side_charging_handle/pics_011606_ar15_side_charging_handle_1_large.jpg

$288

http://www.dlsports.com/ar15_side_charging_handle.html

:cool:

I love that. I know my Mini 14 was designed for right handers just like AR-15s but it so much easier to work for a left hander because of that right side charging handle. Nevermind the centerline mag release and satey lever.

jem375
01-11-2011, 14:06
I'm a lefty and own both a left handed AR and a right hand one. Of course just about every lefty grew up shooting right handed rifles and do quite well with them but, it is silly to think a person shouldn't buy a left handed rifle if he or she wants to and it is available, why not?.. right now there are only a handful of AR's available for a left handed shooter if he wants one..

AFPD118
01-11-2011, 14:15
i plan to do a ambi safety, would be nice,(off safe with thumb, back on with trigger finger) i am so used to right handed ARs why switch now :)

itstime
01-11-2011, 14:16
The only problem for me is brass hitting me. I'm going to look into reversing the thumb safety on mine though.

jem375
01-11-2011, 15:48
Lefty i have shoot righty ARs sense my Army days, no problems. Both my Stags are right handed, hard to sell lefty guns, and not sure i would like one anyway :) You are right, hardly any lefties around to sell lefty guns to....:rofl:

BBJones
01-11-2011, 22:41
I'm a lefty and own both a left handed AR and a right hand one. Of course just about every lefty grew up shooting right handed rifles and do quite well with them but, it is silly to think a person shouldn't buy a left handed rifle if he or she wants to and it is available, why not?.. right now there are only a handful of AR's available for a left handed shooter if he wants one..

If you factor in the limited selection of makers and the limitation on parts, I do think it is silly. I think the vast majority opinion is that LH shooters do just fine on RH AR's. If someone deeply desires a LH AR, go for it.

For those of you getting hit in the face with brass, my only 2 guesses are: your AR does not have a built in brass deflector (kind of rare) or your stance is extremely canted. If the latter is the case, stand more square to the target to see if that solves the brass to the face (if you have an adjustable stock, shorten it up a bit to facilitate a more square stance).

Streetking
01-12-2011, 03:09
I've been shooting ARs and M16s since 1970 left handed. Nine years Army Infantry. I've owned many types of ARs. sure I've had some brass issues but nothing I couldn't handle. Adapt and overcome.

Minnow
01-14-2011, 16:30
I'm left handed and I don't complain when a firearms manufacturer produces anything left handed including AR's. I don't own one however and do fine with a standard rifle as that is what I'm used to...

ambluemax
01-16-2011, 09:13
I certainly have no problems shooting it as a left hander...but for competition purposes I want to get an ambi mag release and safety selector to eliminate excessive waste movements when racing against the clock.

RyanNREMTP
02-21-2011, 13:59
Bringing an old thread back, but I think I figured out my issue with brass hitting me all the time.

KalashniKEV
02-21-2011, 16:56
Bringing an old thread back, but I think I figured out my issue with brass hitting me all the time.

It'll come back sometime when you least expect it...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/ouch.jpg

(my neck)
:supergrin:

BBJones
02-21-2011, 17:08

Do tell...

My guess you stood very bladed while shooting.

mstennes
02-21-2011, 18:33
South paw here also, been shooting AR's since the late 70's, never a problem except my old SP1 without a deflector, than its not a big problem maybe one or two hot cases down the shirt. A buddy of mine bought a lefty Stag, friggen fugly and hard for me to get used to. I have learned to overcome the down falls, and to be honest really dont like the left handed bolt releases. I do however like the left handed safety.

RyanNREMTP
02-21-2011, 18:53
Do tell...

My guess you stood very bladed while shooting.

Actually I replaced the buffer spring in the stock with the old one. So far so good. I found out more next month at training if this was the culprit.

G23Adam
02-22-2011, 09:45
Brass Deflector: http://www.booniehat.org/ultra-force-boonie-hat-khaki-size-7-12/

DanS26
02-22-2011, 20:26
Most of you youngsters on this site have no idea. I shot military right handed firearms left handed.

I was drafted in 1969. My basic and AIG training was in Ft. Ord CA (long since shut down). They gave me an M16A1. I thought it was a damn nice rifle, except it spit hot brass down my shirt. I had to button up my shirt all the way to keep the brass out of my underwear. That worked OK except that the hot brass would leave circular burns on my cheek and neck. That's right, the brass would eject in such a manner that the brass tip would rotate in just the right angle to touch my cheek as I shot left handed. There was no such things as brass deflectors in those days. Drill sarg said just suck it up.

Now a days I don't put up with that sh**. Stag Arms is there for me and make a complete line of left handed firearms in the AR realm.

Wyoming
02-22-2011, 21:44
I'm a lefty that shoots both lefthand and righthanded AR's. I had a Colt CAR15 full auto for about 20 years that had no brass defector and the only thing I needed was an ambidextrious safety. I sold it to another lefty who kept it that way. I own a left handed STAG but don't shoot it as much as the right handed one. The reason has to do more with the trigger (I need to do a trigger job on it).

The reason is IF you put a ambi safety on a right handed AR everything else works out. The right handed charging handle is easier for me to use. It is straight back with the left hand trigger finger. The first time that I had to reach over and use two fingers I thought what a PIA.

Newer AR have brass defectors for us lefties. That is nice. I have three AR 10 and the same apply to them. My Rock River LAR have everthing ambidextrious and that is nice also but if I have an ambidextrious safety I'm can be happy. I have in stock extra ambi safeties for AR's and lefthanded safeties for Ruger 10-22.

The only thing I won't waste my time is right handed bolt actions unless they are two Springfields (1903 & 1903A3), a K98 my Dad brought home from WWII and a Winchester 22 (the first gun I ever fired) that are in my collection.

Gunnut 45/454
02-23-2011, 09:42
My wifes a lefty and she hasn't complain at all!! I fact I think she liking shooting the AR's to much!:whistling:

MedicOni
02-23-2011, 09:52
I shoot RH ARs just fine. The only rifle I want to get in LH is a nice bolt gun.