Which TRP to get for $2k for everything [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which TRP to get for $2k for everything

u4ea
01-10-2011, 17:37
I've been on the fence about picking up a RO for a while now. I decided that I want to step it up to a TRP. Kind of a happy medium between the RO and the Professional. I can't narrow it down to which TRP model to get. I am thinking the Operator, but is there anything to think about? Does a rail with a light attached have ANY negatives like those seen with .40 Glocks and a light? I am sorry for asking this here, but I am hoping someone like Quack or bac can post some info and pictures to help me out. This will be a one stop gun for me, so I can't just buy one of each and decide which works out later like some of you big $$$ guys. :) Budget is 2k for the gun and any tweaking or modifying it needs to be 100% solid and accurate. I dunno if the TRP comes dialed in, or if it needs to be tweaked. I handled a RO and decided I'd just prefer a TRP. Maybe I will get a RO down the line, but I just want to step my game up this time.

Quack
01-10-2011, 17:39
me? no....i'll post in a bit :)

rsxr22
01-10-2011, 17:45
There are no known negatives to the operator. Many just dont prefer them because of the rail. If your going to be using it for target and HD, then the TRP OP would be a great option. If you want to compete with it, youll want to get just a regular TRP.
The only changes that I made to mine were: GI recoil assembly, Removed ILS MSH for S&A MSH, changed rear sight to 10-8, and changed grips for a more aggressive grip. Their definitely ready to go out of the plastic

u4ea
01-10-2011, 17:53
Thanks, rsx. Is an Operator around $1,600, or am I looking in the wrong places?

As for using it in competition, I am still a rookie at shooting. I've never even shot more than 300 rounds in one day, and the most times I've ever been to the range in a given month is probably 4. I am sure some you guys make it there probably 2-3x a week.

I will look around until I can find a brand new gun. I was contemplating not getting one, but that shooting in AZ inspired me that I do need a gun. Thanks guys!

u4ea
01-10-2011, 18:05
I hope I can find one locally and not have to order online.

Quack
01-10-2011, 18:23
OK....so what do you want out of the gun?
range, carry or HD?

the TRP that i have was less than $1500 used, but it had $710 worth of work done by the SACS. Nowlins barrel, slide/frame tightened, tools steel hammer/sear, 3.5# trigger job, refinish, and it's pretty close to a Pro. so if you find a pre-owned TRP, you can add a barrel, trigger job/parts and still be under $2000 and have a gun close to a Pro.
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1004737685_v9eqL-L-2.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Mobile%20Uploads/f597591c.jpg

for Home Defense, i was looking at a MC Operator over the TRP Operator for a few reasons, which were the standard barrel (TRP Op has Bull) and the sights (TRP Op has adjustable). when i was looking for a MC Op or LWT Op, i stumbled across the Pro Op for $1525. How could i say no? it's exactly what i was looking for in my HD gun along with the price that i was thinking (after having the MC Op checkered and refinished)

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1099073438_RFwCB-L.jpg

now if it's a range gun, i would get the RO and have some work done. I liked my Trophy Match, but it was stainless. in my experience, it seems that SS guns loosen up (or not as tight) quicker than steel guns. So with the RO, i would make a budget TGO-1 by adding a S&A magwell, Dawson front sight, trigger job/parts, checkering, Nowlins barrel and refinish (flat black AK).

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1004738330_kNBze-L-2.jpg

u4ea
01-10-2011, 18:27
I don't know if I would use it for a ccw. Probably gonna buy yet another G19 for that. I want the gun as stock as possible. I want to buy the gun and a few hundred rounds of ammo. Maybe a nice new grip. I may be being dumb here, but I really prefer it to be brand new.

Quack
01-10-2011, 18:31
do you have use for the light rail?
if not, get the normal TRP.
since you want it close to stock, just replace the trigger parts with tool steel. C&S makes good semi "drop-in" kits.

TKR Reptiles
01-10-2011, 18:38
Why spend so much? Here is one for $1100.00

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110044

rockabillyrider
01-10-2011, 18:51
Oh no, not this crap again!:crying:

Quack
01-10-2011, 18:54
Oh no, not this crap again!:crying:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3303688087_5a96c336cc.jpg

rockabillyrider
01-10-2011, 18:57
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dZS8uKFEDoQ/TBjLWKoIvgI/AAAAAAAAAKg/kYQQ1rqrZcQ/20svupx.jpg

Clay1
01-10-2011, 19:13
I could be all wet here and I should just stay out of this thread about the 45 but you sound like a newer shooter who is excited about shooting and you want to really train and shoot, not just talk about it.

I don't want to pour cold water on your 45 excited state, but realize that factory ammo costs about 2.5 times what 9mm ammo costs. It takes thousands of rounds to train.

You mentioned that you wanted to shoot some competition shooting. IDPA has Custom Defense Pistol (CDP) where a 45 is thee caliber, but in USPSA a 40 is what most shoot who shoot in the Limited division.

Find out which game has the greatest access close to you and buy the gun to run in that division. Remember one thing, this isn't your LAST gun, but just your NEXT gun. More firearm purchases will follow if you have the hunger.

If someone were to come to me and ask about competition shooting and getting started I would definately push them toward a 9. Go learn the games and in IDPA you shoot in Stock Service Pistol and in USPSA you would shoot in production. You will learn, draw, sight picture, trigger control breathing, movement, engaging multiple targets etc. A $600 Glock 34 and thousands of rounds will get your further along your training progress than a very expensive 45 that you complain about ammo prices so you don't really train.

When I was training heavily I shot 15000 rounds in a season. Thats over 1000 rounds a month. So you are prepared to pay $25/box for 45 acp? If the answer is yes cool, but I would need a second mortgage these days to pull a trigger that much with a 45.

Now if you don't want to really shoot it and train, no problem. Get whatever you WANT, because you don't need any other reason besides you WANT a new firearm.

Like I said, probably should just shut up and go back to relaxing with the family. Good luck to you on whatever you decide and I appologize for shoving my opinion in on this thread. I just thought that I was reading something between the lines of your thread that prompted me to ramble for a bit.

Rick

rsxr22
01-10-2011, 20:42
I don't know if I would use it for a ccw. Probably gonna buy yet another G19 for that. I want the gun as stock as possible. I want to buy the gun and a few hundred rounds of ammo. Maybe a nice new grip. I may be being dumb here, but I really prefer it to be brand new.

If your looking for a target style gun then by all means, get the Operator. I like 1911's w/ and w/o rails. Rails are a great addition if using for HD so you can add a light.

Your not dumb, but I personally always try to buy used, unless Im ordering a semi-custom spec'd out the way I want it. The truth about it is, the average person does not shoot their gun very often. That being said, it allows you to get a gun that is EXTREMELY hard to wear out, at an even more affordable price.

rsxr22
01-10-2011, 20:44
If your looking for the things I listed, you might also want to take a gander at the STI Tactical, which might even be a better built gun then the TRP. Plus if your liking rails, you might also like the double stack capacity that the Tactical will give you. Brazo's Custom or Oak Hill Enterprises probably has the best pricing on STI's. Very well built right here in the states, Texas to be exact, if that means anything to you.

stukibuilt
01-11-2011, 13:11
OK....so what do you want out of the gun?
range, carry or HD?

the TRP that i have was less than $1500 used, but it had $710 worth of work done by the SACS. Nowlins barrel, slide/frame tightened, tools steel hammer/sear, 3.5# trigger job, refinish, and it's pretty close to a Pro. so if you find a pre-owned TRP, you can add a barrel, trigger job/parts and still be under $2000 and have a gun close to a Pro.

for Home Defense, i was looking at a MC Operator over the TRP Operator for a few reasons, which were the standard barrel (TRP Op has Bull) and the sights (TRP Op has adjustable). when i was looking for a MC Op or LWT Op, i stumbled across the Pro Op for $1525. How could i say no? it's exactly what i was looking for in my HD gun along with the price that i was thinking (after having the MC Op checkered and refinished)

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1099073438_RFwCB-L.jpg

now if it's a range gun, i would get the RO and have some work done. I liked my Trophy Match, but it was stainless. in my experience, it seems that SS guns loosen up (or not as tight) quicker than steel guns. So with the RO, i would make a budget TGO-1 by adding a S&A magwell, Dawson front sight, trigger job/parts, checkering, Nowlins barrel and refinish (flat black AK).

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1004738330_kNBze-L-2.jpg

I hate to derail the topic, but I've noticed that about every time I've seen you post a photo on this and 1911 forums I end up getting insanely jealous. :supergrin:

The TRP is a great gun. If you have any reservations about any of the options, I'd get the RO and have some work done to it. I personally don't like rails and would rather use a hand held light because I can move it off center of my body. That was how I was taught so you have the ability to keep from giving the BG a bright white target that is right in front of my chest. YMMV.

u4ea
01-11-2011, 18:27
I am picking up a TRP tomorrow. I've been reading about them, and this caught my eye.

My only complaint is that the TRP comes with a two-piece full-length recoil spring guide. However, a quick call to Brownells will have the system replaced with a standard length guide and plug. It is an easy fix and well worth the call.

Is this something to think about? Thanks guys, I am glad I made my choice.

Quack
01-11-2011, 18:45
I am picking up a TRP tomorrow. I've been reading about them, and this caught my eye.

My only complaint is that the TRP comes with a two-piece full-length recoil spring guide. However, a quick call to Brownells will have the system replaced with a standard length guide and plug. It is an easy fix and well worth the call.

non-issue.
It's along the same lines as "I hate FCS", "I swapped out the MIM", "I swapped out the ambi safety", "I don't like bull barrels", I don't like adjustable sights"....it's personal preference.

u4ea
01-11-2011, 18:46
Cool. Well thanks to the guys like rsx, Quack and others who have helped me instead of mocking me for my pitiful 1911 knowledge and redundant questions. :)

Quack
01-11-2011, 18:49
i spent today loitering at RSX's shop after my long day of work (a whole 2 hours) :animlol:

rockabillyrider
01-11-2011, 19:58

:deadhorse:

rockabillyrider
01-11-2011, 20:03
Cool. Well thanks to the guys like rsx, Quack and others who have helped me instead of mocking me for my pitiful 1911 knowledge and redundant questions. :)

:violin:

Hokie1911
01-11-2011, 20:15
I'd say skip the TRP (I'm not a fan) and for that kind of chedda, get a Custom Carry.

rockabillyrider
01-11-2011, 20:29
I'd say skip the TRP (I'm not a fan) and for that kind of chedda, get a Custom Carry.

:faint:

Quack
01-11-2011, 20:31

same thing, different fitting, unless you are talking about the FCS.
you shot my TRP and that went through the SACS, so if you didn't like that, what makes you think that you'll like the CC?

rsxr22
01-11-2011, 20:34
U4EA,
Your quite welcome and you will definitely enjoy the TRP. I put a few rounds through mine that were flawless like always.
Hokie=Hata!

Quack
01-11-2011, 20:38
bobby, got an email back from drake. he's a little backed up on work because he just had hernia surgery, but offered up my EMP for some work ;)

Hokie1911
01-11-2011, 20:41
same thing, different fitting, unless you are talking about the FCS.
you shot my TRP and that went through the SACS, so if you didn't like that, what makes you think that you'll like the CC?

I would get it without the 20LPI. :thumbsup:

rsxr22
01-11-2011, 20:42
bobby, got an email back from drake. he's a little backed up on work because he just had hernia surgery, but offered up my EMP for some work ;)

Just cant stand being outdone huh? Sounds like a complex!

rsxr22
01-11-2011, 20:43
I would get it without the 20LPI. :thumbsup:

Why? its a $1400 gun and a free manicure everytime you shoot it.

Hokie1911
01-11-2011, 20:43
Just cant stand being outdone huh? Sounds like a complex!

Did you decide what you want to do with your EMP?

Quack
01-11-2011, 20:47
Why? its a $1400 gun and a free manicure everytime you shoot it.

hokie has girly hands and doesn't want to roughen them up.

Hokie1911
01-11-2011, 20:48
hokie has girly hands and doesn't want to roughen them up.

Quack...master of the obvious. :tongueout:

Hokie1911
01-11-2011, 20:50
Was with my pop at a show in Richmond on Saturday and was taking to him about your TRP and was like "...yep, that's why I didn't care for it" as soon as I picked one up. :rofl:

glock2740
01-11-2011, 20:52
There are no stupid questions. Most of us are here to help out. Anyone mocking you for asking questions is a ********* and you can just ignore them. :supergrin: I love my TRP and have thought about getting the railed TRP. I like the bull barrel and adj. sights on it, but I don't have a light, and the only lights I like are $200-$300. Plus, I al;ready have plenty of railed guns for lights, with more capacity than a 1911 for HD. (Glocks, M&Ps and XD/XDm's). Get what you want and what is gonna work for your own personal situation. Then post some pics. :cool:

Hokie1911
01-11-2011, 20:54
If we mock you...that means we like you. :thumbsup:

rsxr22
01-11-2011, 21:03
Did you decide what you want to do with your EMP?

Yes I did!! Then I mentioned it to Quack and now hes copying and getting it done quicker than I because I have 2 other semi customs that should be in within a month.

I figured I would do cosmetic changes. Golfball FS and MSH, re-fit extractor, 10-8 rear, 10-8 trigger, wilson BP single side safety, gunner's and re-sprayed all black. Im going to pass on the magwell considering that the gun is for carry and the more i practice the better i am getting with my reloads.

Oh ya, Im going to golfball the ENTIRE FRAME AND SLIDE, EVERY INCH!! Copy that Don! :tongueout:

Quack
01-11-2011, 21:06
how can i be copying, i've sent Drake emails over a year ago and then 6 months ago. both times he said he wasn't setup to work on the EMP yet. so who's copying who?
you had no idea who Drake was before i mentioned it :tongueout:

BTW, i hope Brian golf balls his pinewood derby car. i'm thinking that will do the trick ;)

rsxr22
01-12-2011, 19:40
how can i be copying, i've sent Drake emails over a year ago and then 6 months ago. both times he said he wasn't setup to work on the EMP yet. so who's copying who?
you had no idea who Drake was before i mentioned it :tongueout:

BTW, i hope Brian golf balls his pinewood derby car. i'm thinking that will do the trick ;)

Touche Don!

Lol hes treating these cars like hes building a lambo!

Nickpisp
01-12-2011, 20:12
If we mock you...that means we like you. :thumbsup:

That's just what everyone told you so you'd stop crying. :rofl:

Hokie1911
01-12-2011, 20:25
That's just what everyone told you so you'd stop crying. :rofl:

Good one......noob.

:tongueout:

u4ea
01-25-2011, 16:36
Picked up the TRP and I love it. It's gotten me thinking I should save some coins to buy a Professional. How much am I missing out with my TRP compared to a Professional?

Hokie1911
01-25-2011, 16:39
Picked up the TRP and I love it. It's gotten me thinking I should save some coins to buy a Professional. How much am I missing out with my TRP compared to a Professional?

Don has both so he can give you some perspective on the differences.

Quack
01-25-2011, 16:41
Yep, but both have been through the SACS

u4ea
01-25-2011, 16:43
I am pretty sure that I will never be good enough to get 100% out of the TRP so the Professional is probably overkill for me. Good bragging rights, though.

Hokie1911
01-25-2011, 16:48
I am pretty sure that I will never be good enough to get 100% out of the TRP so the Professional is probably overkill for me. Good bragging rights, though.

There is no such thing as overkill.... :rofl:

http://www.onpointsupply.com/images/laserlyte_kabar_pistol_bayonet_1.jpg

u4ea
01-25-2011, 16:49
lol..

Hokie1911
01-25-2011, 16:50
Nevermind.

http://www.militaryimages.net/photopost/data/642/swiss_army_gun.jpg

thecableguy
01-25-2011, 18:39
Nevermind.

http://www.militaryimages.net/photopost/data/642/swiss_army_gun.jpg

I didn't know Quack had an AR. :rofl::rofl:

Goldendog Redux
01-25-2011, 18:47

I would not get a TRP because they just turn to crap after a while...
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/mflagg/Guns/IMG_0209-2.jpg?t=1296002771

midliferally
01-25-2011, 19:55
I have several hundred rounds down range fired with my first 1911,the TRP. I love the gun and would risk my life on it ( I guess I do, its in my nightstand!). I have since bought a Dan Wesson, and am shopping for a Wilson Combat. But I still have a soft spot for my first love, my TRP. I hope you enjoy yours as much a I do mine. Cheers!

rockabillyrider
01-25-2011, 20:19

Congrats on the new TRP and have fun!

20South
01-25-2011, 20:24

If you are going to order new, you have plenty of time to save with a 12-14mo lead time!

rsxr22
01-25-2011, 20:34
Wonder why their backlog is so much longer than everyone else's? Is it because they have more orders than any of the shops or less smith's then the other guys?

suprmatch
01-25-2011, 20:55
I've been on the fence about picking up a RO for a while now. I decided that I want to step it up to a TRP. Kind of a happy medium between the RO and the Professional. I can't narrow it down to which TRP model to get. I am thinking the Operator, but is there anything to think about? Does a rail with a light attached have ANY negatives like those seen with .40 Glocks and a light? I am sorry for asking this here, but I am hoping someone like Quack or bac can post some info and pictures to help me out. This will be a one stop gun for me, so I can't just buy one of each and decide which works out later like some of you big $$$ guys. :) Budget is 2k for the gun and any tweaking or modifying it needs to be 100% solid and accurate. I dunno if the TRP comes dialed in, or if it needs to be tweaked. I handled a RO and decided I'd just prefer a TRP. Maybe I will get a RO down the line, but I just want to step my game up this time.

If your gonna send it to a smith for "tweaking" than just save a few more bucks and get a Springfield professional and you won't need to "tweak". I did and havn't looked back. I can't find anything I need to improve on the professional.

20South
01-25-2011, 21:11
Wonder why their backlog is so much longer than everyone else's? Is it because they have more orders than any of the shops or less smith's then the other guys?

Its the government contracts and the time to build. I understand any government order takes priority and gets any completed inventory plus front of the line for however many it takes to fulfill the order.

nolt
01-25-2011, 22:44
no problems like with the G23 because the frame doesnt flex like the G23.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_1_74g6ME2-E/TQj4dU6BUpI/AAAAAAAAAyc/uDRm32nFBwc/TRPOp_x300.jpg

u4ea
01-31-2011, 09:58
I put 500 rounds thru the gun recently and it's flawless. I want to get some nice self defense ammo, but I'm not made of money so I want to try something that is not known to have issues with trp's. What do you guys with trp's use for self defense ammo? I think I read someone on here saying that GD and HS ammo has issues in these guns?

Agent6-3/8
01-31-2011, 10:27
I put 500 rounds thru the gun recently and it's flawless. I want to get some nice self defense ammo, but I'm not made of money so I want to try something that is not known to have issues with trp's. What do you guys with trp's use for self defense ammo? I think I read someone on here saying that GD and HS ammo has issues in these guns?

I carry Federal HST in my 1911's. (SA and Colt) It can be hard to come by though. Winchester Ranger seems to be the easiest to come by and is an excellent round. Remington Golden Sabers are another very good option. Really, if you stick to a 230g JHP from one of the "big 4" (Win, Rem, Speer, Fed) you won't go wrong.

Something just as important to reliable feeding as the round you pick, is the mag. IMO, Tripp Research makes the best, followed by Wilson's ETM and 47D's.

u4ea
02-02-2011, 16:48
Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a buddy who wants to trade me his gun for mine, and $150 cash on my end. His gun has ~3000 rounds thru it, but it looks flawless. No scratches or anything. It's the same gun shown here, I believe:

http://www.nelsontactical.com/products/les-baer-1911-premier-ii-5%C2%94-model-45-acp-p-1009.html?zenid=0acitigl79fdgepebprpcvt227

Is there anything this gun does better than the TRP? He said the TRP might actually be lower quality due to MIM parts (no idea what this means) but he had an old TRP that he sold. He said he shoots the TRP better and is more comfortable with it, but the Baer is the better gun overall in general. Thoughts?

Quack
02-02-2011, 16:51
the Les Baer would be a better gun
$150 + TRP would be a great trade.

the TRP has MIM (Metal Injection Moulding) parts, while Baer doesn't.
MIM really isn't much of an issue, but a tool steel hammer/sear is more desirable

u4ea
02-02-2011, 16:54
the Les Baer would be a better gun
$150 + TRP would be a great trade.

the TRP has MIM (Metal Injection Moulding) parts, while Baer doesn't.

Cool. I think I will take him up on it. He said we could go to the range with a few boxes and I could give it a test run to see how I like it. If it's the higher quality gun, I guess I can't lose. I kind of like how the TRP looks a bit better, but function is more important than form to me so I think I will take him up on it. Thanks, Quack!

u4ea
02-02-2011, 16:56
Does the Professional have MIM?

u4ea
02-02-2011, 17:09
I've spent the last 30 minutes looking up info on the Baer. Seems like it's the better gun than the TRP, but that the Baer customer service leaves a lot to be desired in the event of an issue...

Quack
02-02-2011, 17:18
Does the Professional have MIM?

A few small parts like slide stop, thumb safety, mag release and I think the firing pin stop.

u4ea
02-02-2011, 17:45
Meeting up with him tomorrow afternoon. Can anyone confirm that Baer has customer service issues before I make this trade?

Quack
02-02-2011, 17:47
from what i've heard, you pay for shipping to/from Baer

Quack
02-02-2011, 17:48
also $150 can get you a "drop-in" trigger kit from C&S.

thecableguy
02-02-2011, 18:14
no problems like with the G23 because the frame doesnt flex like the G23.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_1_74g6ME2-E/TQj4dU6BUpI/AAAAAAAAAyc/uDRm32nFBwc/TRPOp_x300.jpg

:drool:
I want this.

Hokie1911
02-02-2011, 18:32
That is an AWESOME pic, Nolt. :thumbsup:

rockabillyrider
02-02-2011, 19:35
Congrats on the new TRP and have fun!

:treadmill:

Quack
02-02-2011, 20:22
:drool:
I want this.

i know a shop that has 2 pre-owned full rail TRP's for sale :supergrin:

rsxr22
02-02-2011, 20:52
Its the government contracts and the time to build. I understand any government order takes priority and gets any completed inventory plus front of the line for however many it takes to fulfill the order.

who else are they supplying besides fbi hrt? theres not that many of them and they dont get new guns every year

Quack
02-02-2011, 20:54
who else are they supplying besides fbi hrt? theres not that many of them and they dont get new guns every year

the DEA get's them too.

thecableguy
02-02-2011, 20:57
i know a shop that has 2 pre-owned full rail TRP's for sale :supergrin:

I wish I could afford one right now. I have the WC and a Saiga 12 on layaway right now.

rsxr22
02-02-2011, 21:00
Who in the DEA? My uncle is on a FAST team and uses Sig. A lot use Glock as well.

Quack
02-02-2011, 21:04
here's the thread on it. i can't find the pic i was looking for, but the DEA gets the "DEA" prefix instead of the "CRG" prefix in the serial number. there is also a "HRT" prefix out there and someone on the 1911forum has one, though they are not supposed to be for civilians.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130796

found the pic :supergrin:

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Professional1911/Fusion20/DSCF2102-1-1.jpg

airflyer
02-02-2011, 21:13
My friend is a retired DEA and his friend is current DEA and has one for duty
I am going to go to range in next couple of weeks and shoot it , they can actual get their DEA number on them I was told

rsxr22
02-02-2011, 21:22
My friend is a retired DEA and his friend is current DEA and has one for duty
I am going to go to range in next couple of weeks and shoot it , they can actual get their DEA number on them I was told

That is pretty awesome. I cant believe my uncle wouldnt already know/have one of these. He is a huge gun guy and between him and my dad, that is where i gained the appreciation for the platform.

u4ea
02-03-2011, 13:58
I met up with my friend today. He let me shoot his Les Baer. I wasn't as big of a fan of the gun as I am of the TRP, but he was desperate. He ended up giving me the same amount I paid for the gun brand new. I think I will save my coins and just get a Professional sometime this summer. :)

In the $2,500 range, is the Professional hard/impossible to beat? I doubt I will be able to even get one this summer, because I only want a brand new one. I picked up another G17 on the way home, so I have something in he meantime. I'm hooked. :]

GJ1981
02-03-2011, 14:17
In the $2,500 range, is the Professional hard/impossible to beat?

IME, no. I think there are plenty that are every bit as good, if not better.

I have several costing close or less that I think are better all around performers, keyword. I don't think the Pro is the end-all, but some do. I liked my older model Pro, but I have been FAR from impressed with my newest one.

If it's what you want, get one.

u4ea
02-03-2011, 14:19
If it's what you want, get one.

There are dozens that I want, but I can only have one. I don't know how some of you guys do it. I can't just buy 20 guns and then decide which I like. I get one shot, and I need to get the most out of my $2,500. I may just get another TRP along with 20 mags and a few thousand rounds, but I am just so intrigued by having a NICE gun.

GJ1981
02-03-2011, 14:24
I don't know how some of you guys do it. I can't just buy 20 guns and then decide which I like. I get one shot, and I need to get the most out of my $2,500.

I may just get another TRP along with 20 mags and a few thousand rounds, but I am just so intrigued by having a NICE gun.

I've been at this for a LONG time, but I sold quite a few firearms over the last few years to get what I have today.

Honestly, I'd go with the plan of buying something simple, having plenty of spare parts, and lots of ammo. If I could do things over, I would have done the same. There comes a point where enough is enough...at least IME.

u4ea
02-03-2011, 14:28
I've been at this for a LONG time, but I sold quite a few firearms over the last few years to get what I have today.

Honestly, I'd go with the plan of buying something simple, having plenty of spare parts, and lots of ammo. If I could do things over, I would have done the same. There comes a point where enough is enough...at least IME.

If I buy the Pro, I will have the better gun up front, but won't be able to spend extra money on customizing it, ammo or extra mags. If I buy another TRP, I can customize it and get a bunch of mags and ammo. Isn't a customized TRP a ripoff if I know I want a Pro anyways? Ahhh I hate these damn decisions. With a Glock, all I did was buy a few spare mags, a light and a holster and I was done lol...

GJ1981
02-03-2011, 14:36
If I buy the Pro, I will have the better gun up front, but won't be able to spend extra money on customizing it, ammo or extra mags. If I buy another TRP, I can customize it and get a bunch of mags and ammo. Isn't a customized TRP a ripoff if I know I want a Pro anyways? Ahhh I hate these damn decisions. With a Glock, all I did was buy a few spare mags, a light and a holster and I was done lol...

Better is SO subjective, IMO. There are better parts in the Pro, yes, but I don't know if I'd say they are $1000 better.

The main "upgrades" I'd do on a TRP are thumb safety, plunger tube, ditch the ILS, (if the TRP has one), spare extractor, and maybe a tool sear, etc down the road. I know who I'd have do it, but that's another topic.

I'd only buy a carbon steel one, and in that case, the Armory-Kote IS better, IMO, than the Black-T on the Pro. I've seen Black-T hyped so much I can't help but laugh at times.

The one thing that I have learned is, if you don't have the ammo, you have a paperweight. I'd go with the choice that gets you on the range/class more often.

I like Glocks in 9mm, but I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of switching to M&P's. That might be the easiest decision I've ever had to make.

u4ea
02-03-2011, 14:43
I may be dumb here, but it seems like a TRP is a BMW 3 series, while the Professional is an M3. Why spend money to turn a 3 series into an M3, when I can just buy the M3 up front. I plan to have this gun for many years, so the initial purchase price shouldn't be a deciding factor. If I could find a NIB Professional today, I'd snatch it up. I haven't looked hard, but I doubt there are any NIB Professionals to be had anywhere right now...

I was a big Glock fan, but after my brief TRP ownership and now back to the G17, I am very soured on them lol.

u4ea
02-03-2011, 14:44
Better is SO subjective, IMO. There are better parts in the Pro, yes, but I don't know if I'd say they are $1000 better.

The main "upgrades" I'd do on a TRP are thumb safety, plunger tube, ditch the ILS, (if the TRP has one), spare extractor, and maybe a tool sear, etc down the road. I know who I'd have do it, but that's another topic.

I'd only buy a carbon steel one, and in that case, the Armory-Kote IS better, IMO, than the Black-T on the Pro. I've seen Black-T hyped so much I can't help but laugh at times.

The one thing that I have learned is, if you don't have the ammo, you have a paperweight. I'd go with the choice that gets you on the range/class more often.

I like Glocks in 9mm, but I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of switching to M&P's. That might be the easiest decision I've ever had to make.

I can afford ammo, considering I only shoot once or twice a month. I just need the gun in hand to shoot it with hahah.

Hokie1911
02-03-2011, 14:49
Buy once...cry once. :thumbsup:

u4ea
02-03-2011, 14:50
lol.....

GJ1981
02-03-2011, 14:50
I may be dumb here, but it seems like a TRP is a BMW 3 series, while the Professional is an M3. Why spend money to turn a 3 series into an M3, when I can just buy the M3 up front. I plan to have this gun for many years, so the initial purchase price shouldn't be a deciding factor. If I could find a NIB Professional today, I'd snatch it up. I haven't looked hard, but I doubt there are any NIB Professionals to be had anywhere right now...

I was a big Glock fan, but after my brief TRP ownership and now back to the G17, I am very soured on them lol.

It depends on how you look at things really. The parts I'd consider upgrades are minimal, and well worth it.

It's not like a worn out frame and all that work, everything is pretty good on the TRP. No need for frame tightening, unless you have money to waste.

Either SHOULD last long than you...

Me, I don't care if it's a Glock or whatever, I just want it to work and be durable.

GJ1981
02-03-2011, 15:03
I can afford ammo, considering I only shoot once or twice a month.

Depending on how much you shoot those one or two times a month, you may never see a big difference between the two.

rsxr22
02-03-2011, 16:45
Depending on how much you shoot those one or two times a month, you may never see a big difference between the two.

I agree. If you have a passion for 1911's though, there is definitely a difference in quality to an enthusiast

Quack
02-03-2011, 19:07

not when you find an pre-owned TRP upgraded by the SACS for the cost of a new TRP.

it's pretty close to the Pro, except for the magwell, markings and FCS.

rsxr22
02-03-2011, 19:40
not when you find an pre-owned TRP upgraded by the SACS for the cost of a new TRP.

it's pretty close to the Pro, except for the magwell, markings and FCS.

We all arent as lucky as the asian sensation!

Hokie1911
02-03-2011, 19:55
We all arent as lucky as the asian sensation!

Don throwing a "hellz yeah" after scoring his Pro.

http://iamkoream.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Picture-13.png

thecableguy
02-03-2011, 19:59
Don throwing a "hellz yeah" after scoring his Pro.

http://iamkoream.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Picture-13.png

I thought this was the way he celebrated
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/_POR6550.jpg
:tongueout:

Quack
02-03-2011, 20:05
i was raped there and thats why he got a wiener in the mouth :shocked:

thecableguy
02-03-2011, 20:08
i was raped there and thats why he got a wiener in the mouth :shocked:
:shocked:
:rofl::rofl: :animlol:

rsxr22
02-03-2011, 20:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POyFvDgV2cU

Watch this Favre video! Funny as hell!!!

thecableguy
02-03-2011, 20:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POyFvDgV2cU

Watch this Favre video! Funny as hell!!!

:rofl::rofl: I never knew noodles could shoot out of my mouth that far.:rofl::rofl:

rsxr22
02-03-2011, 20:47
:rofl::rofl: I never knew noodles could shoot out of my mouth that far.:rofl::rofl:

LOL.... My Peyton Manthing

rsxr22
02-03-2011, 20:48
The crazy thing is i didnt realize it wasnt him until like 2 min through the video

thecableguy
02-03-2011, 20:50
looks just like him.

u4ea
02-06-2011, 18:32
Well, I sold my TRP and have buyer's remorse. I found this one for $1,200 shipped. Is this too good to be true? Can anyone give me any info on the seller? I hope no one buys this one out from under me after I post the link lol

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976710171/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Pistols/Springfield-Armory-Pistols/Springfield_TRP_Armory_Kote_PC9108L.htm

Looking to buy tomorrow if it all checks out!!

u4ea
02-06-2011, 18:35
I hope there is actually one in stock. It says NIB as in new in box, but no idea when it was posted and if they remove these ads when the item sells.

Quack
02-06-2011, 18:37
Says its sold.

u4ea
02-06-2011, 18:39
Figures, lol...

u4ea
02-06-2011, 18:42
I must be BLIND to have missed that "this item has been sold" link on EVERY one of the TRP on there. I am going to have to contact the people in the links you sent me Quack, but it seems like it'll be hard.

I read that the TRP is one of the 1911's with a rail that is allowed in California, so they are extremely high on the list for people there.

u4ea
02-07-2011, 11:55
So I finally tracked one down locally for $1,450. Seems a bit steep, but if I have to pay an extra $100 and change to have it in hand now, I think that's worth it. I could probably find one for $1,300 and change, but I want it today. Damn impulse buying! Is $1,479 for a new TRP a rape price?

Nickpisp
02-07-2011, 11:58
So I finally tracked one down locally for $1,450. Seems a bit steep, but if I have to pay an extra $100 and change to have it in hand now, I think that's worth it. I could probably find one for $1,300 and change, but I want it today. Damn impulse buying! Is $1,479 for a new TRP a rape price?

If it's railed that about normal. I paid $1225 for my non-railed AK TRP.

u4ea
02-07-2011, 12:05
If it's railed that about normal. I paid $1225 for my non-railed AK TRP.

Nope, no rail. I know it's probably ~$200 overpriced, but after 3 hours it's the ONLY one I can find locally after calling dozens of places.

u4ea
02-07-2011, 12:14
=| sucks

u4ea
02-07-2011, 16:11
I went to the only local shop near me that has a TRP in stock today. The guy said he'd give me a good deal of $1,475 out the door. It's the armory kote (black) and non-railed. It seems like it's $1-200 too high, but it's local and I know it's perfect. I spent 15 minutes talking to the guy before I left empty handed. I can't decide what to do. Seems like it's too high of a price, but I still want it badly and to be able to see the gun and hold it in person is one thing I love about face to face buying.

u4ea
02-07-2011, 16:20
Anyone ever paid more than something was worth just because they "needed" it? lol

Quack
02-07-2011, 16:25
Anyone ever paid more than something was worth just because they "needed" it? lol

my ex-wife :shocked: :animlol:

Hokie1911
02-07-2011, 17:31
my ex-wife :shocked: :animlol:

Funny, I was about the say the same thing about exMrsHokie. :rofl:

u4ea
02-07-2011, 18:08
I am going shooting tomorrow. I'd hate to bring my G17. I am dying for that TRP. If I pay $1,475 for it how bad is that lol.

One odd thing is that it doesn't have the greyish/silver grips that I see on most sites showing the TRP. They're brown wood grips kinda like Quack has on his TRP.

u4ea
02-07-2011, 18:10
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009375

Looks exactly like this. My old TRP had the silver grips. Odd that they are both not the same.

Nickpisp
02-07-2011, 18:22
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009375

Looks exactly like this. My old TRP had the silver grips. Odd that they are both not the same.

It's a new gun with wood grips? Mine came with the grey horned lizards. :dunno:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/Nickpisp/2010-10-19_19-18-38_333.jpg

u4ea
02-07-2011, 18:26
It's a new gun with wood grips? Mine came with the grey horned lizards. :dunno:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/Nickpisp/2010-10-19_19-18-38_333.jpg

That's what my old one came with. They said it's new and it does look new, but it has the wood grips. I am sure Quack can shed some light on it for me.

Nickpisp
02-07-2011, 18:30
That's what my old one came with. They said it's new and it does look new, but it has the wood grips. I am sure Quack can shed some light on it for me.

So is the $1475 OTD or before taxes?

u4ea
02-07-2011, 18:34
So is the $1475 OTD or before taxes?

Out the door.

Nickpisp
02-07-2011, 18:38
Out the door.

That's not bad then. Mine was like $1350 OTD. You better go get it. :supergrin:

Quack
02-07-2011, 18:40
these are the older grips that came on the earlier TRP's

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/DSC_0339.jpg

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1178457894_yrcw2-L.jpg

the crossed cannon's are probably add-on's that you can by from Springfield. never saw crossed cannon's on them before.

u4ea
02-07-2011, 18:48
Newer is usually better. Do Springfield guns come with a production date like Glocks do?

Nickpisp
02-07-2011, 19:04
Newer is usually better. Do Springfield guns come with a production date like Glocks do?

It's usually stamped on the frame under the grips. You can always call SA with the serial number too.

Quack
02-07-2011, 19:05
call SPringfield.