computer has turned into a soupsandwitch :( [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : computer has turned into a soupsandwitch :(

nursetim
01-10-2011, 18:57
I have been having mucho problems with this computer.

This am, it was taking 5 minutes minimum to do anything. I ran glary utilities, that helped some. I rebooted in safe mode and deleted what I thought were the culprits. Now I am stuck in that negative screen enlarged screen from safe mode. I rebooted, nada, I pressed f8 as it rebooted, nada.

I am seriously considering giving this thing lead poisoning. Can anybody save it's life? I can get on the net with it though.

IndyGunFreak
01-10-2011, 19:37
Is it a hardware problem, or a software problem? It sounds like you think its software related. Why not reinstall Windows?

What are the specs?

IGF

nursetim
01-10-2011, 21:21
how do I reinstall widows? Can I wipe the memory? how? I have the recovery discs. Windows xp.

IndyGunFreak
01-10-2011, 21:36
how do I reinstall widows? Can I wipe the memory? how? I have the recovery discs. Windows xp.

If you have the recovery disks, it should be pretty simple to reinstall. Boot the recovery disks, and most of them walk you through the process pretty simply.

Just keep in mind, you will lose EVERYTHING. So if there's something on there you'd like to keep(family photos, music, important documents, etc.) work on getting them off of there first.

IGF

nursetim
01-10-2011, 21:42
I did the saving thing already. Just put the disks in? Here goes, if you do not hear from me soon, you'll know what happened. Thanks

nursetim
01-11-2011, 06:47
I am still stuck in the safe mode nightmare. Somehow, I am missing the key code for the disk that I have. Am I hosed or what? The negative image is messing with my eyes.

Help me Obiwan Kanobi, you're my only hope. :supergrin:

Sgt. Schultz
01-11-2011, 07:26
I am still stuck in the safe mode nightmare. Somehow, I am missing the key code for the disk that I have. Am I hosed or what? The negative image is messing with my eyes.

Help me Obiwan Kanobi, you're my only hope. :supergrin:The key should be on a sticker on the bottom of the computer.

IndyGunFreak
01-11-2011, 08:04
If you can't find the tag....

http://majorgeeks.com/Magical_Jelly_Bean_Keyfinder_d2612.html

Download that app and run it. It may return several keycodes, so make sure you write down the right one for Win XP

nursetim
01-16-2011, 15:39
I give up. I am out of my league on this. Maybe I just need a really big magnate to wipe it clean.

MySiK26
01-17-2011, 10:45
If you're specs are REALLY outdated, you may consider just getting a new or used but not too outdated computer/laptop. I just bought a 1 year old macbook for $500, and bought the newest version of Snow Leopard OS X, and did a clean install.

MySiK26
01-17-2011, 10:46
If you can't find the tag....

http://majorgeeks.com/Magical_Jelly_Bean_Keyfinder_d2612.html

Download that app and run it. It may return several keycodes, so make sure you write down the right one for Win XP

good to know! Thanks.

IndyGunFreak
01-17-2011, 10:55
I give up. I am out of my league on this. Maybe I just need a really big magnate to wipe it clean.

Did you do what I told you in PM? Get your key, find an XP ISO for your version of XP (note, this is not illegal since you have a legit key), and use your key to reinstall Windows. I've fixed so many PC's this way I can't even count. If your machine will get to safe mode, and will surf the internet... it seems extremely unlikely this is a hardware problem.

This should honestly take less than 3hrs to fix, and 2hrs of that is probably going to be updating XP after you clean install it.

PM me if you need/want some help.

IGF

gemeinschaft
01-17-2011, 20:37
Did you do what I told you in PM? Get your key, find an XP ISO for your version of XP (note, this is not illegal since you have a legit key), and use your key to reinstall Windows. I've fixed so many PC's this way I can't even count. If your machine will get to safe mode, and will surf the internet... it seems extremely unlikely this is a hardware problem.

This should honestly take less than 3hrs to fix, and 2hrs of that is probably going to be updating XP after you clean install it.

IGF

+1

I would also recommend that any data that you saved needs to be scanned thoroughly before moving back to your machine. It would really suck to go reinstall Windows and the drivers only to end up with the same infection.

There are some good tools out there.

If you get to a point where you hate Microsoft, join the dark side and install Ubuntu on your machine, it's free to download and doesn't take a rocket scientist to use, plus it is not likely to get viruses.

IndyGunFreak
01-18-2011, 09:34

IGF

I would like to add, the one thing that is really important here, is that the XP version on your "broken" PC(that the key goes to) matches the ISO you download(XP Home SP1, 2, 3, XP Pro, etc..). There are torrents of XP ISO's all over the place, and like I said, if you're using your key, it is perfectly legal to use them.

I've got a couple ISO's, that I have used multiple times on different PC's. Usually what I do before I use it (since it formats the drive before you enter the key)... is fire up the ISO in Virtualbox. Go through the install process in Vbox, then enter the key off the computer in Vbox when the time comes. This gives me a "trial run" to see if it continues the install or rejects the key. If it accepts the key and continues... I just stop there, burn the ISO to a disk, and reinstall XP on the computer. If it rejects the key, I try one of my other ISO's in the same manner. This keeps me from bricking a computer before I know I have a working XP install.

IGF

gh0st614
01-20-2011, 10:42
Forget all this hard work, just download a windows XP activated ISO

IndyGunFreak
01-20-2011, 11:27
Forget all this hard work, just download a windows XP activated ISO

That would be illegal.

spartan985
01-20-2011, 17:31
I just wanted to say " soupsandwich"
:rofl::rofl::rofl: