Question regarding Mossberg 930 SPX [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Mossberg 930 SPX

glock031
01-11-2011, 03:39
Hey guys, i just purchased a mossberg model #85360 930 sx from Buds. My question is, is it normal for the trigger housing assembly to have side to side movement. Mine seems really sloppy loose. I can't believe i didn't notice it while at the ffl's......:dunno:

m24shooter
01-11-2011, 09:50
Some will have the play in them that you mention. I've heard several ways to correct. You can add a sidesaddle, in which case the bolts that replace the trigger group pins will take out the wobble. I've also seen someone use some aluminum tape on the inside of the receiver to provide enough snugness to remove the play.

mdfd
01-11-2011, 10:23
I have been doing quite a bit of research on the 930SPX and have yet to come across this issue. It is a bit concerning, I almost bought one from Buds as well - how common is this issue?

frankr
01-11-2011, 11:14
Yes It’s normal. I have side to side movement but I also have over 1,000 shells through my shotgun with 0 malfunctions so I am not concerned. My gun has functioned great like so many other 930 SPX owners on GT. You are going to have fun shooting your new gun. I like to shoot the Wal Mart low brass value pack for my fun shooting. That’s one of many great things about this gun. It loves low brass target loads.

VZ1600
01-11-2011, 11:44
It's normal. Mine does it as well. I have put 1000's of rounds thru it without issue.

mixflip
01-11-2011, 11:48
What they said ^. I too have over 1000 rounds through mine now and I never noticed it or even bothered to check?

glock031
01-11-2011, 12:38
Whew, glad to hear it's common and gtg.....
Thanks!

mdfd
01-11-2011, 14:45
Hey Mix or anyone else for that matter - can you post the said wiggle on one of your next videos just so we know what to expect?
TIA!

Gombu
01-11-2011, 15:29
I have never noticed the wiggle on mine. So not sure.

It does shoot straight and is reliable.

mixflip
01-11-2011, 18:24
Hey Mix or anyone else for that matter - can you post the said wiggle on one of your next videos just so we know what to expect?
TIA!

No problem, I'll have a video up some time tonight.

ScrappyDoo
01-11-2011, 21:55
I just checked mine, it does move a little, but I never noticed it until you said so..

Remember Mossbergs in general are loose for maximum reliability, vs. something all tightened up for perfect performance under perfect conditions...

As several have noted, the 930 SPX runs like a Dodge Ram 2500 Heavy Duty with a Cummins Turbo Diesel... it just keeps runnin and has the big time balls behind it... Mine runs like a champ.

glock031
01-11-2011, 22:14
Some will have the play in them that you mention. I've heard several ways to correct. You can add a sidesaddle, in which case the bolts that replace the trigger group pins will take out the wobble. I've also seen someone use some aluminum tape on the inside of the receiver to provide enough snugness to remove the play.

Could someone recommend a good side saddle made for the 930....or does one have to be modified to fit it?

WayaX
01-11-2011, 22:51
Could someone recommend a good side saddle made for the 930....or does one have to be modified to fit it?

Mesa Tactical

mixflip
01-11-2011, 22:57
TIA!

Here is that video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va8g8XZB1lw

frankr
01-12-2011, 02:17

Tacstar

http://www.tacstar.com/side-saddles.php

mdfd
01-12-2011, 03:14
Here is that video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va8g8XZB1lw

Thank you very much mixflip - that "wiggle" doesn't seem like a big deal and wouldn't dissuade me from getting one...

m24shooter
01-12-2011, 09:27
TacStar and Mesa have them for the 930. The TacStar is a 6 round, but before anybody had one that fit the 930 I modified a 4 round 870 model to fit. I've never had a problem with it, and after the 6 round TacStar was finally releases I ran one of those to see if it would work. Never had any problems with either one.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/930%20update/930saddleoblqwm.jpg
This is the 4 round TacStar that was modified. I still prefer it because it is very small and light and doesn't mess with the feel of the shotgun.

I've also run a SideArmor two round holder that works very well.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/sidearmor/holderrearfull.jpg

If you get a Mesa and it doesn't work, contact them for a new set of connectors. They've had problems with them, and it was due to the connectors they were using. Oddly enough the problem was frequently that the connectors were out of spec enough to allow increased wobble in the FCG, which led to feeding problems.

ETA: The modification for the TacStar is on my review page if you're interested in that.
I also forgot to mention the 3 Gun Gear shell carriers. They are the adhesive backed elastic shell carriers. Those work well from what I've heard. I have one for a 590, but I haven't used it on a 930.

ScrappyDoo
01-12-2011, 10:29
Hey how do side saddles work ? I've never usd one, how do they work to stay on?

Also I did hear when I bought the 930 SPX that they didn't work on the 930 SPX particularly well|? (or was that on my Benelli Supernova I forget?)

m24shooter
01-12-2011, 11:02
Hey how do side saddles work ? I've never usd one, how do they work to stay on?
Most have machine screws or bolts that replace the trigger group pins. They pass through the receiver, secure the FCG as the pins would normally do, and then screw into the shell holder plate or frame on the other side of the shotgun.
The 3GG carrier simply uses Velcro with an adhesive backing that sticks to the side of the receiver.
The SideArmor carrier attaches to the rail.
Also I did hear when I bought the 930 SPX that they didn't work on the 930 SPX particularly well|? (or was that on my Benelli Supernova I forget?)
Well, there haven't been that many carriers for the 930 out for very long. I've used two TacStar versions and they didn't cause any problems. Mesa had problems with their connectors, so that may have been the problems you heard of if it was actually a 930 issue that you were hearing about and not the Benelli. The Benelli semis with the inertia system have had problems with shell carriers due to the ID action being overloaded with too much weight.

mixflip
01-12-2011, 11:03
I think it was the Benelli SNT due to its round body shape, that had side saddle issues.

glock031
01-12-2011, 11:44
Thxs for the recommends. Nice vid, i wish my trigger assembly only had that little bit of movement. Mine is severly loose. I have some metal tape to use like a shim and i'll bolt on one of those 4-shell holders.

M24, great review. That was what sold me on the 930 spx. :cool:

Edited because i almost forgot to add. My 930 spx came with a foreend sling stud and oversized charging handle. I was surprised about these tweaks.

m24shooter
01-12-2011, 13:18
Glad you found the review informative and I hope helpful.
The newer production runs are coming out with the sling stud on the foreend and the round bolt handle. I have seen a report about a new production gun with those features but unfortunately OFM put a first gen barrel on it with the canted front sight, which one of the VPs told me were not being used anymore aabout a year and half ago.

Roostmonkey
01-12-2011, 15:18
Thoughts on the new model with pistol grip stocks? Seems it would make the safety harder to manipulate to me.

mixflip
01-12-2011, 17:49
Harder to manipulate is very subjective. For competition? Possibly yes? For defensive situations? For me, not so much since I dont walk into a deadly situation with my safety on and even if it is less ergonomic to reach...its measured in fractions of a second in difference?

mdfd
01-12-2011, 17:58
I agree w/ mixflip - it's all in the training and what you get used to. It's the same old discussion about the safety lever placement that has been had between the Moss 500 series w/ pistol grip and the Rem 870's....to each their own...
I've had a pistol grip on my Moss 590 a week after I bought it and have used it ever since with no issues...