Quick question about [missing or broken] springs and detents [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about [missing or broken] springs and detents

ScrappyDoo
01-11-2011, 09:01
Hi,

I have to bring my new Bushmaster to the gunsmith for a few installations and stock pinnings that I knew I would when I bought it. I got cute and tried to do a few things myself a few weeks ago and , I knew I shouldn't but I did, and I think I lost a detent from the pistol grip/stock area and also broke a spring, I have the spring but I THINK it's not usable again (of course it's possible I'm wrong,)

Now my question is, are these parts interchangable from brands and do average gunsmiths have these types of things? The reason I ask, if I HAVE to I will buy a 5-10 dollar Bushmaster Spring Kit and then a $40 Bushmaster "detent and pin" kit , and bring with and say, here's them all just in case, but if not and the gunsmith should have these all and just take the one spring and one detent/pin he needs from his kit, I'd rather go that way.

And of course I also meant to ask, if the Bushmaster springs and detents would be different than other companies/brands springs/pins etc?
Thanks much thanks much,

NeverMore1701
01-11-2011, 10:49
The lower parts interchange fine, and any decent gunsmith should have them on hand. Might be worth it to give him a call before hand though, might save you some waiting if he doesn't.

ScrappyDoo
01-11-2011, 10:58
Thanks very much NeverMore that was a very very helpful answer and about what I wanted to hear : expected to hear .. Much appreciated.

trlcavscout
01-11-2011, 11:47
I was a General motors automatic transmission tech for 9 years handling small check balls/springs etc. The first few time I did "upgrades" to an AR I had stuff flying everywhere! I launched a rear detent pin spring across my garage about 15 feet and it was sitting on the lawn mower, took my like 45 minutes to find it.

Once you remember where all the springs fly out of its easy to do anything to an AR.

surf
01-11-2011, 12:05
As mentioned call and ask the smith. If not the parts can be purchased individually for only a couple of dollars from several sources such as Brownells, Midway or I like to deal with this company. If its on their site at the time of order its in inventory. Fast shipping and great customer service. Can't say enough about these guys.

http://dsgarms.com/Category/20_0/Lower_Receiver_Parts.aspx

ScrappyDoo
01-11-2011, 15:05
TCS Man that makes me feel a lot better (Not that your problem makes me feel better that you had problems, lol you know what I mean!) and also Surf, I COMPLETELY agree about DSG Arms, they outfitted me with about $300-$350 worth of mostly Magpul furniture, accessories, etc. for my new Bushmaster... That's what I was working on putting on and then I decided to try to take of the A2 stock, and install the new Carbine kit I had that they included with my new Magpul CTR Stock... and I shouldn't have done that.

And now I am looking at a project for the gunsmith! LOL.

mjkeat
01-11-2011, 15:05
THey also make kits w/ the springs and detents you'll need. It happens all the time.

MisterPX
01-11-2011, 16:36
If you have the time, gun shows are actually the place for springs and detents.

m2hmghb
01-11-2011, 18:05
The first few times I screwed with my AR buttstock the spring and detent went flying. I ended up buying 3 spare springs and 2 spare detents. Good luck with everything.

ScrappyDoo
01-11-2011, 20:53
M2M no harm right ? Iam worried that I put the buttstock and the large circular thing on wrong (with the $30 CQB sling plate on there) and it wont come off, but I am not even trying for fear of making anything worse, going to let gunsmith do everything and he can show and tell.

And whereabouts in the Jers are you, I'm in what used to be the country-suburbs North of Trenton

lawman800
01-12-2011, 02:39
Order yourself an extra LPK or at least the $30 spring and detent kit if you intend on playing with it yourself. My buddies who have no experience with AR's have already had to go shopping for extra springs and pins which get lost or bent or actually self destructed and those things are not cheap nor easy to find as individual items as most shops here don't carry just 1 pin or 1 spring.