My DIY Memory Pad/Palm Swell! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My DIY Memory Pad/Palm Swell!

Michigun
01-11-2011, 16:46
Thought I’d share my DIY memory pad/palm swell...

Problem:

I needed a memory pad/palm swell on my Springfield 1911-A1 G.I. in order for me/my hand/grip to reliably depress the grip safety 100% of the time.

Solution:

After thinking on it a while... I decided on a product called “pig” which is a “Repair Putty/Multi-Purpose Epoxy Stick”... this stuff is like iron after it drys & REAL easy to work with! It’s in stick form so you just pinch off as much as you need & then work/mix it with your fingertips for a minute/2 tops... stick in on where you want it, press it in & then ruff shape it... let it dry for an hour & after that you can sand, file &/or drill on it...

I didn’t even have to remove my grip safety with this project (nor the original finish on the part as this stuff sticks to EVERYTHING) & was able to use only an ‘exacto-knife for final shaping/trimming... after the final shaping I used a black ‘paint-pen’ to color it as this “pig putty” requires no primer!

Here’s what I came up with... I left it a little on the large side on purpose... sorry for the crappy pics as my digital cam is MIA & all I have is my cell came:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/a1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/a2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/a3.jpg

DRAGON1970
01-11-2011, 18:18
Sorry dude but it looks more like PIG S#$T. Have it done right.

Hound_dogs_01
01-11-2011, 18:21
looks good to me bro. nice work!

Alex

Michigun
01-11-2011, 18:35

LOL! Dude, the gun looks like "S#$T"... it is a 'mil-spec' Springfield G.I. after all... I'd have just about as much into a new grip safety & the hammer to work with it as I have into the whole gun!

Oh, & my DIY pad/swell works just like the rest & it cost me like $5 an about 30 minutes of my time. (I'd have had more time into it if I cared to get it real nice & smooth, but there ain't much that is smooth on any of this G.I.)

looks good to me bro. nice work!

Hey, what do ya know... there are still a few gentlemen left on-line! LOL! Thank you sir.

Mr. Gekko
01-11-2011, 19:09
I will say that it is not how I would approach that problem. However, if it works for you and you are happy with it, congrats.

Michigun
01-11-2011, 19:23
I will say that it is not how I would approach that problem. However, if it works for you and you are happy with it, congrats.

You know, if there was a drop in 'mil-spec' grip safety with a 'bump' on it I'd have probably went that route... but all the ones I find have a beavertail, then need a new 'bobbed' hammer to fit that beavertail & then require the frame to be altered...

I can do the work myself, but even then it seems a lot to spend for what I've duplicated for only a few bucks... ya know?

bac1023
01-11-2011, 19:25
Very nice

DRAGON1970
01-11-2011, 19:30
LOL! Dude, the gun looks like "S#$T"... it is a 'mil-spec' Springfield G.I. after all... I'd have just about as much into a new grip safety & the hammer to work with it as I have into the whole gun!

Oh, & my DIY pad/swell works just like the rest & it cost me like $5 an about 30 minutes of my time. (I'd have had more time into it if I cared to get it real nice & smooth, but there ain't much that is smooth on any of this G.I.)

Hey, what do ya know... there are still a few gentlemen left on-line! LOL! Thank you sir.

I have fit roughly a dozen grip safeties. $30 for GS, $40 for hammer, $20 for fitting jig, $30 for cold park from Caswell, 3 hours for shaping and fitting.

Michigun
01-11-2011, 19:32
FYI, I should probably mention that this particular 1911 will be replacing the G17 in my glove box currently... you see, the G17 is a $700 (a few add-ons (night sights for 1) that ALL of my GLOCKs get) gun & if I play my cards right I won't have 1/2 that into this G.I. total... would hurt a lot less if the G.I. ends up disappearing (Hope not!) from my car.

Michigun
01-11-2011, 19:35
I have fit roughly a dozen grip safeties. $30 for GS, $40 for hammer, $20 for fitting jig, $30 for cold park from Caswell, 3 hours for shaping and fitting.

Exactly bro... that's $120 bills (without shipping)...

I got a VERY good deal on this G.I.... see my post above this one to see what I'm doing here with this G.I.

rsxr22
01-11-2011, 19:36
I am all for getting stuff done right but if thats the purpose of the gun and your happy with it, then awesome!

txleapd
01-11-2011, 19:46
Why is it "not done right" because he did it himself? If he's capable of doing what he wants, at a price he's comfortable with, and it works for him, why is that a problem? Michigun has been here awhile, and he's done all kinds of mods that work. IMHO, he's very capable...

The 1911 sub-forum has gotten as bad as the Black Rifle sub-forum. The amount of snobbery has become mind boggling. This isn't Lightfighter.

airflyer
01-11-2011, 19:57
Great job glad it works , now wear the finish off it shooting it :cool:

Michigun
01-11-2011, 20:20
Michigun has been here awhile, and he's done all kinds of mods that work. IMHO, he's very capable...

Why thank you sir! :patriot:

The 1911 sub-forum has gotten as bad as the Black Rifle sub-forum. The amount of snobbery has become mind boggling.

Haven’t spent much time in this section, since it opened, but recognized that this is what I was running into with this thread for sure... :aodnsb:

Next up on the DYI list for this G.I. is 1 of the 4 following before it'll be ready to replace the G17 in my glove box...

#1 ... a 'low lever' safety... not sure if I'll just buy 1 of the 2 that Brownells has & fit it... or modify the OEM safety (not sure if the metal will take the welding)...

#2 ... 'flare' the current magazine well...

#3 ... front night sight... at LEAST... if not a night sight set...

#4 ... gonna pick up a 'light rail' from Brownells & attach that...

Timbonez
01-11-2011, 20:26

Function over form. It's more important for a weapon to work for the user than for it to look pretty.

Michigun
01-11-2011, 20:37
Function over form. It's more important for a weapon to work for the user than for it to look pretty.

Exactly...

... I think 'flat' main-spring housings look nicer to me, but without an 'arched' on my 1911's they point low...

... I also think all of the sloped/melted rear sights look very nice, but yet they make one-handed mag drills WAY more difficult as they don't catch on your belt or boot/shoe heal...

(For the record... I actually like the no pad/bump look on the 1911 myself... but there's that 'function over form' deal once again...)

thecableguy
01-11-2011, 20:44
Why thank you sir! :patriot:

Haven’t spent much time in this section, since it opened, but recognized that this is what I was running into with this thread for sure... :aodnsb:

Next up on the DYI list for this G.I. is 1 of the 4 following before it'll be ready to replace the G17 in my glove box...

#1 ... a 'low lever' safety... not sure if I'll just buy 1 of the 2 that Brownells has & fit it... or modify the OEM safety (not sure if the metal will take the welding)...

#2 ... 'flare' the magazine well...

#3 ... front night sight... at LEAST... if not a night sight set...

#4 ... gonna pick up a 'light rail' from Brownells & attach that...

Can't wait too see the pictures man. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

DRAGON1970
01-11-2011, 21:07

Exactly..until a piece of it comes off and lodges between the safety and the frame. I have seen many rigged firearms fail in a match. Imagine what that would be like in a SD situation. To each his own.

Michigun
01-11-2011, 22:33
..until a piece of it comes off and lodges between the safety and the frame.

It's an epoxy...won't break, crack, flake or anything like that thing as it isn't a complete solid.

Jason D
01-12-2011, 17:44
Whatever works for you.
A beavertail with the bump would probably require you to have your frame cut.

HAIL CAESAR
01-12-2011, 22:17
I say...if it works...and serves your function.....IT'S A GOOD DEAL. It ain't pretty, but it gets the job done.

faawrenchbndr
01-13-2011, 05:04
Looks ok,........pig putty is hard as nails!

Uncle T-bone
01-13-2011, 16:51
Very nice

There you go! If BAC says it's very nice, then that should be good enough for all of us! End of thread! :cool:

CAcop
01-13-2011, 17:29
Whatever works for you.
A beavertail with the bump would probably require you to have your frame cut.

Wilson has a drop in. I have it on my duty 1911. I didn't bother doing it all pretty because it is going to get beat to **** in my holster on patrol. I would imagine a car gun isn't going to lead a pampered life either.

samuse
01-13-2011, 17:31
I think if you took the grip safety off and took your time, you could make it look real nice.

Flat black or some sight black would match the parkerizing pretty well too.

TSAX
01-13-2011, 21:23

:agree: