Surge protector fail... Questions inside. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Surge protector fail... Questions inside.

GlockSupremacy
01-11-2011, 21:36
I came back from a vacation to find my desktop dead...won't load bios or windows. Just turns on with the fans spinning and lights on. No signal to monitor, keyboard does not light up. The computer is a Dell inspiron 530.

I am pretty sure the motherboard, a fox conn g33mo2 is fried. My questions are what else likes to go out when a surge protector fails? Processor?

Will fox conn sell a Dell specific mother board to me?

Do surge protectors guarantee protection?

This is the first time i have gotten burned by a surge protector and it sucks....the computer is fairly built for a Dell and I am a college student, so i am looking for a cheap fix.

Currently typing this from the school issued iPad, since it is the only internet source i could bring home.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Lotiki
01-11-2011, 21:42
Motherboards die. If the power supply is working well enough tp power fans then your surge protector isn't the problem. Open up the side and see how easy it is to spin the fans on your mb and if they all spin on power up, Sounds like your chipset may have overheated.

Also,
http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2789

BobbyT
01-11-2011, 21:43
I put g33mo2 into Froogle and came up with tons of results:

http://www.google.com/search?q=g33mo2&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=g33mo2&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=shop:1&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf&biw=1132&bih=1037&psj=1&fp=9bef8cda26d1a6ec

stevemc
01-13-2011, 04:03
Many surge suppressor companies offer protection if their device fails. You have to call them to find out what they are willing to do. People sometimes make the mistake of thinking surge suppressors last forever. They don't. They are typically there to take the bullet, then fail. I have had good luck with the Tripp Lite brand. Customer support is really good also.