A few (specific) questions: Help me finish my 870 build [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A few (specific) questions: Help me finish my 870 build

Warp
01-12-2011, 02:47
Edit: Dang, I can't edit the title?

This is what I have so far. The bag contains trijicon night sights (ghost ring rear) that I will have my local shop install soon. The gun if of course a 12 gauge 870 in the HD configuration with the addition of a Knoxx stock, which I just received for Christmas and have not used yet.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/25ed7494.jpg

I will pick up a 4 shell sidesaddle, possibly from TacStar. I may or may not install the for end that came with the stock.

I would like a single point sling. I really like the looks of the Rocky Mountain Tactical "Delta Tactical Sling (https://www.rockymountaintactical.net/?page=shop/details&product_id=31&category_id=f49a9043a73d43a2ec59bc1e65065ff5&)". I don't like the $42 price tag so much...have to see about that. Is it worth it?

Question: I would also like a mounted light. I have a flashlight to use (Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2) that should work with most 1" mounts. I am looking at something simple and inexpensive, such as this (http://www.tacstar.com/universal-barrel-mounts.php). I would buy the Olight brand pressure switch to use with the light. Does anybody have any experience, or know anything, about this mount?

That is the most I ma willing to spend money on at the moment. I may look into a PowerPak cheek piece with shell holder in the future.

Sound like a good plan? :)

aippi
01-12-2011, 10:57
The Rocky Mountain Tactical gear is quality stuff and well worth the money. Compare with the other stuff out there and you will find you can spend a lot more and you will still not get a better sling.

The Power pack cheek piece only works with optics to get you up higher. It will not work well for you on that weapon.

If this weapon lis going to be used for Home Defense leave the GR sights off of it as they have no place on a fighting shotgun. Keep the weapon basic and it will serve your need for up close and personal situations inside your home. If it is not going to be used as a defense weapon then putting all that stuff on it will give you a fun range toy.

Bill G
01-12-2011, 12:56
The Rocky Mountain Tactical gear is quality stuff and well worth the money. Compare with the other stuff out there and you will find you can spend a lot more and you will still not get a better sling.

The Power pack cheek piece only works with optics to get you up higher. It will not work well for you on that weapon.

If this weapon lis going to be used for Home Defense leave the GR sights off of it as they have no place on a fighting shotgun. Keep the weapon basic and it will serve your need for up close and personal situations inside your home. If it is not going to be used as a defense weapon then putting all that stuff on it will give you a fun range toy.

I agree J.D. keep it simple and do not use the Ghost Ring sights for home defence. If a guy wants sights I suggest doing what I did. I Use the 18.5" police barrel with rifle sights and I installed Night sights for a faster sight alignment in low light conditions. I also suggest a good weapons light ore Tactical flashlight for target idenification and leave the sling off for home defence it will only get you in trouble in this area. Again keep the weapon simple it will serve you better, Just my 2 cents...

Take Care All,
Bill G

Warp
01-12-2011, 13:13

I agree J.D. keep it simple and do not use the Ghost Ring sights for home defence. If a guy wants sights I suggest doing what I did. I Use the 18.5" police barrel with rifle sights and I installed Night sights for a faster sight alignment in low light conditions. I also suggest a good weapons light ore Tactical flashlight for target idenification and leave the sling off for home defence it will only get you in trouble in this area. Again keep the weapon simple it will serve you better, Just my 2 cents...

Take Care All,
Bill G

Thank you for the input. I keep it in the bedroom and it is near the top of the list for home defense but that is not the only thing it may be called upon for. We do a fair amount of cross country driving to visit family and I always bring it along, hidden but readily accessible in the back seat. It is also my go-to SHTF long gun.

Random example: I was at my parents house about a month ago. They live way out on the outskirts, basically in the country but still in a neighborhood. Anyway my dad let the dogs out in the fenced area and he reported that they were barking up a storm while something made rustling sounds out the woods. He picked up a flashlight and went to investigate. I put my boots on and grabbed my shotgun + flashlight to go watch him/them...just in case. A mounted light and better sites would have been very nice to have. A sling too, I reckon.

So anyway, it's more than just an HD shotgun that sits under the bed and goes to the range every 6-12 months. I like the idea of sites that are properly suited to longer ranges and, of course, can be seen in the dark. I know the standard bead site isn't too bad. 50 yards is the longest I have shot with it but that is probably far enough. It works alright for that outdoors during the day, but not necessarily if it's darker.

I haven't ever fired a shotgun with ghost ring sites before, unfortunately. Why do you suggest not putting them on an HD weapon? Speed of acquistion vs a front site only?

The sling probably wouldn't be kept on the gun whe it sits in the house on standby, but for the other uses a sling is definitely a good option to have. And with SHTF and other various uses a single point that lets me keep it in a bit of a ready position seems like a fine idea.

So...additional thoughts?

Bill G
01-12-2011, 13:35
Thank you for the input. I keep it in the bedroom and it is near the top of the list for home defense but that is not the only thing it may be called upon for. We do a fair amount of cross country driving to visit family and I always bring it along, hidden but readily accessible in the back seat. It is also my go-to SHTF long gun.

Random example: I was at my parents house about a month ago. They live way out on the outskirts, basically in the country but still in a neighborhood. Anyway my dad let the dogs out in the fenced area and he reported that they were barking up a storm while something made rustling sounds out the woods. He picked up a flashlight and went to investigate. I put my boots on and grabbed my shotgun + flashlight to go watch him/them...just in case. A mounted light and better sites would have been very nice to have. A sling too, I reckon.

So anyway, it's more than just an HD shotgun that sits under the bed and goes to the range every 6-12 months. I like the idea of sites that are properly suited to longer ranges and, of course, can be seen in the dark. I know the standard bead site isn't too bad. 50 yards is the longest I have shot with it but that is probably far enough. It works alright for that outdoors during the day, but not necessarily if it's darker.

I haven't ever fired a shotgun with ghost ring sites before, unfortunately. Why do you suggest not putting them on an HD weapon? Speed of acquistion vs a front site only?

The sling probably wouldn't be kept on the gun whe it sits in the house on standby, but for the other uses a sling is definitely a good option to have. And with SHTF and other various uses a single point that lets me keep it in a bit of a ready position seems like a fine idea.

So...additional thoughts?

You ask the question and this is my reason for not useing Ghost Ring sights. I use the 18.5" Police barrel with rifle sights and night sights installed this still gives me a defence gun with sights for a distance shot if needed. I have used Ghost Ring sights and they site in well but you loose your peripheral vision in a up close situation due to your eyes being drawn to the rear Gost Ring, this is not what I want to happen up close. With the rifle sights out on the barrell this does not happen and you still have good sights for longer shots or shots with slugs at longer distances. The police barrel with rifle sights was made for a reason with the sights on the barrel not on the reciever like the rear Ghost Ring sight set up. Just my 2 cents again..... Many will disagree here but I find this to be the case. Again keep it simple as it will serve you well.

Take Care,
Bill G

B Coyote
01-12-2011, 13:44
If you have the ghost rings and want to install them, go ahead.

The shotgun sight debate is endless, with everyone having their preferences. *I* don't like ghost rings, but you might. *I* like XS Express sights, but you might not. The only thing you can do is test for yourself. (Unfortunately once you've installed them, you're pretty much stuck with them. Fortunately, guns are tools and can be replaced if you don't like the outcome.)

One other thought: if you are using this shotgun as your home defensive tool, consider taking it to the range more frequently than six to 12 months.

bc

sciolist
01-12-2011, 15:07
I agree that GR sights are undesirable on this type of gun. I can shoot slugs pretty well at 50 yds with just the bead on my 870, and closer targets are no problem. The low-profile XS sights look like they would be a good compromise, but GR's seem like a real liability to me.

Warp
01-12-2011, 16:05
One other thought: if you are using this shotgun as your home defensive tool, consider taking it to the range more frequently than six to 12 months.

bc

Definitely.

I made that statement mostly to impart that it is more than a dedicated HD gun that doesn't do anything.

Unfortunately I believe that most people who keep a shotgun around the house don't even get in every 6-12 months.

Victoriagotagun
01-12-2011, 16:55
I would like a single point sling. I really like the looks of the Rocky Mountain Tactical "Delta Tactical Sling (https://www.rockymountaintactical.net/?page=shop/details&product_id=31&category_id=f49a9043a73d43a2ec59bc1e65065ff5&)". I don't like the $42 price tag so much...have to see about that. Is it worth it?

You realize that the Delta sling is made to work with vests right? If you want a real basic and cost effective single point sling then Wilderness makes one for $25 and Boonie Packer has one for $15.

Warp
01-12-2011, 17:03
You realize that the Delta sling is made to work with vests right? If you want a real basic and cost effective single point sling then Wilderness makes one for $25 and Boonie Packer has one for $15.

I am not familiar with it but based on the description "With 3 different configurations, including a single point MOLLE vest sling, a regular single point sling, and a tactical two point quick adjust sling," it sounds like only one of the three configurations is oriented towards use with a vest.

I'll check out the Wilderness product though. I have a couple of their belts and am very happy with them.

B Coyote
01-12-2011, 17:18
I think the term liability in regards to ghost ring sights is harsh. They're basically aperture sights. If I recall correctly, the AR15/M16 family of weapons has similar sights, but no one says they're a bad thing there even when those weapons are used for CQB.

There are a LOT of professional instructors who suggest ghost ring sights for shotguns, and there's a reason for that.

bc

Bill G
01-12-2011, 17:28
I think the term liability in regards to ghost ring sights is harsh. They're basically aperture sights. If I recall correctly, the AR15/M16 family of weapons has similar sights, but no one says they're a bad thing there even when those weapons are used for CQB.

There are a LOT of professional instructors who suggest ghost ring sights for shotguns, and there's a reason for that.

bc

I agree the term liability may a little harsh, even though I have my reasons for not useing them on a defence shotgun as stated above, again this is personal preference. Other than the reason I stated above for me they are a fine sight system and do well for many. I do like them on AR type rifles and others. I also do fine with them on shotguns but I will state again I do not care for how Ghost Rings draw your eyes to them taking your peripheral eye sight away at close range, this is were a defence combat shotgun shines. Again it's a personal choice for all.

Take Care All,
Bill G

Warp
01-12-2011, 18:08
I've done a bit of reading regarding Ghost Rings today as a result of this thread. I mostly searched topic headings in the tac/HD shotgun section on shotgunworld's forums. I will have them installed and practice practice practice.

Speaking of practice, I am looking up buckshot on ammunition to go (I like them but can shop elsewhere). I (and my gun) really like Federal LE Tactical and Remington managed recoil but they are too expensive to practice with in bulk.

The best I have found is $0.50 per round for 00 buck. Here (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/250rds-12-gauge-rio-royal-2-34-9-pellet-low-recoil-oo-buck/cName/12-gauge-2-34-buckshot). However it is low recoil. I'm not sure if I want to use that for most of my practice or not.

Or S&B (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/100rds-12-gauge-sellier-bellot-2-34-12-pellet-oo-buckshot/cName/12-gauge-2-34-buckshot) though the price per round is a little higher.

CTD also has this (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/61965-1.html)
Are there any better options?

Bill G
01-12-2011, 18:25
I've done a bit of reading regarding Ghost Rings today as a result of this thread. I mostly searched topic headings in the tac/HD shotgun section on shotgunworld's forums. I will have them installed and practice practice practice.

Speaking of practice, I am looking up buckshot on ammunition to go (I like them but can shop elsewhere). I (and my gun) really like Federal LE Tactical and Remington managed recoil but they are too expensive to practice with in bulk.

The best I have found is $0.50 per round for 00 buck. Here (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/250rds-12-gauge-rio-royal-2-34-9-pellet-low-recoil-oo-buck/cName/12-gauge-2-34-buckshot). However it is low recoil. I'm not sure if I want to use that for most of my practice or not.

Or S&B (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/100rds-12-gauge-sellier-bellot-2-34-12-pellet-oo-buckshot/cName/12-gauge-2-34-buckshot) though the price per round is a little higher.

Best of luck, you will have a nice shotgun and it never hurts to practice practice and more practice...Finding shells that work well in your weapon is good too..

Take Care,
Bill G

sciolist
01-12-2011, 19:15

bc

I did qualify that statement as a 'seems to me' - with no sarcasm intended, BTW. :-) Also readily admit I'm quite new to the shotgun.

Our local club does mixed steel matches for pistol and shotgun all winter, so I had to take up the shotgun to stay in the mix. The thing is so much fun to shoot, I can't leave it at home when I go out to shoot my pistols...

Just based on the 500 or so rounds I've put through it, the ability to get on target quickly with a relatively gross picture seems like one of the weapon's strengths. I did try shooting an 870 with GR's, and found the rear to be distracting. Maybe I just need more experience. Really like the look of those low-profile rifle sights, though.

B Coyote
01-12-2011, 20:24

For defensive use, the Federal 00 Buck with the Flite Control wad is extremely popular. Get some and pattern it starting at 3 yards going out to 25 or 30 yards. Know what it will do in YOUR gun.

For practice, I use whatever bulk pack is on sale. Work on keeping the gun topped off and select-a-slug drills.

bc

Warp
01-12-2011, 20:30
For defensive use, the Federal 00 Buck with the Flite Control wad is extremely popular. Get some and pattern it starting at 3 yards going out to 25 or 30 yards. Know what it will do in YOUR gun.

For practice, I use whatever bulk pack is on sale. Work on keeping the gun topped off and select-a-slug drills.

bc

I have some. I bought 50 rounds a couple of years ago. It patterns very well. I may pick up some more and/or some of the low recoil variety as well.

When you say whatever bulk pack is on sale that sounds like target/game loads (birdshot) and that is a no-no at all of the indoor ranges I use. I'll settle for some sellier and bellot buck I suppose

B Coyote
01-12-2011, 20:47
I'm fortunate to have access to two outdoor ranges to practice.

If they don't allow birdshot, there's nothing wrong with S&B.

bc

MrMurphy
01-13-2011, 01:45
I'm a ghost ring guy. Honestly at the moment i don't even own a shotgun. I use an AR for defense as i've got far more time on one.

In shotguns though, for YOUR role, yes, a large bead (XS Big Dot being my preference) is more logical.

A good light, and a 2 point sling. One point slings are great for breachers and not much else, they're a gun leash. Drop the gun without wearing hard armor and you will like as not, nut check your self. I've managed (almost) to do it with a loaded M4/M203 and hard armor on, not having any armor for standoff between you and the weapon means you might take yourself out of action without meaning to. :)

Basic 2pt sling, good light, bead. Honestly I wouldn't even go with the Knoxx, but if you already have it, oh well. I prefer a Speedfeed IV-S. Bigger safety, and a Surefire or Ergo rail fore-end for your light.

aippi
01-13-2011, 09:07
So little understanding of these weapons. The fact a rifle has a peep sight in no way means a peep sight or as they are called in the armorers manual "peep sight, aperture large, ( ghost ring) is a good sight on a close quarters weapon. Do some of you even understand the ranges that a shotgun is effective at?

GR's have no application on a shotgun. They are not the combat sight some people claim them to be. They are next to the worst sight you can put on a shotgun with any optics being the first worst. The rear sight is a few inches from you eye which plays havoc on your peripheral vision and some of them even have side panels around the rear sight that tunnel your vision.

Any concerned they may be in a gun fight one day better learn to shoot with both eyes open. So if you have GR's on a shotgun and plan to fight with that gun you need to learn to bring the weapon up from the low ready and when that sight pops up a few inches from your eyes you need to stop it from taking the focus of your eyes from possible threats out there. You have to learn to sight through that rear apparture with both eyes open at all time.

It these GR's are the end all sight for a shotgun why are they not on Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clay shotguns????? The guys who shoot those sports are some of the best shotgunners around and they are the ones I would fear most in a close quarters fight involving shotguns. They just think about you and you are hit.

Bottom line here is understanding the shotgun. Oh yea, it is a shotgun not a long range combat rifle designed for 500 yards. Different weapons different sights.

MrMurphy
01-13-2011, 10:37
People have been using aperature sighted weapons for close combat for a long time. Not just on shotguns. It's a training issue more than anything. I've cleared rooms with an M16, M249, M4, all with iron (aperature) sights as well as optics. I'd prefer an Aimpoint. Yes, they are slightly slower than a bead. For a shotgun at the range he would likely use it, it is more or less un-necessary I agree.

However, if you're going for the multi-role shotgun (slugs, less lethal, etc) that's where GR's come into play. IF YOU ARE TRAINED i have no issues with someone running GRs on the gun. I know several guys who have killed more than one bad guy with GR equipped shotguns while doing LE work. They don't shoot skeet, they shoot targets at close range under all conditions in practice.

For the ultimate in close range fast acquisition i'd stick an Aimpoint H-1 on there, though a Big Dot bead is nearly as fast.

For someone with a typical house gun, bead+target=bang. If you're willing to train with it, like anything else, I don't have a problem with ghost rings or aperatures. If all you're ever going to shoot is buckshot at under 30 yards, beads work fine. If you're trying to use buck, slugs, and everything else, you're in trouble. A solid center mass slug hit at 100 yards is doable (repeatedly, boringly) with ghost rings. I've yet to run into anyone who can do it with a bead past about 50.

I use a rifle for defense simply because of training (years of doing it for real with an M4, and thousands of training hours) but the key is BE FAMILIAR WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.

Bill G
01-13-2011, 11:01
So little understanding of these weapons. The fact a rifle has a peep sight in no way means a peep sight or as they are called in the armorers manual "peep sight, aperture large, ( ghost ring) is a good sight on a close quarters weapon. Do some of you even understand the ranges that a shotgun is effective at?

GR's have no application on a shotgun. They are not the combat sight some people claim them to be. They are next to the worst sight you can put on a shotgun with any optics being the first worst. The rear sight is a few inches from you eye which plays havoc on your peripheral vision and some of them even have side panels around the rear sight that tunnel your vision.

Any concerned they may be in a gun fight one day better learn to shoot with both eyes open. So if you have GR's on a shotgun and plan to fight with that gun you need to learn to bring the weapon up from the low ready and when that sight pops up a few inches from your eyes you need to stop it from taking the focus of your eyes from possible threats out there. You have to learn to sight through that rear apparture with both eyes open at all time.

It these GR's are the end all sight for a shotgun why are they not on Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clay shotguns????? The guys who shoot those sports are some of the best shotgunners around and they are the ones I would fear most in a close quarters fight involving shotguns. They just think about you and you are hit.

Bottom line here is understanding the shotgun. Oh yea, it is a shotgun not a long range combat rifle designed for 500 yards. Different weapons different sights.

I Agree J.D. and you made the point about Ghost Rings a lot more clear than I did in my post above abount them. You are a 100% rite on the money with your point of view on this one in my opinion..

Take Care All,
Bill G

B Coyote
01-13-2011, 19:17
Here's my take on it. YMMV, and apparently does in a couple cases...

To say ghost rings have no application on a shotgun is wrong. They can and do have their use for a good percentage of shooters. For a lot of users, the ghost ring sight is going to be the fastest type of iron sight. It's as accurate as a rifle sight, and easy to use because so many shooters are familiar with aperture sights (reference M16/M4/AR15 rifles). Yes, they do obscure the target more than a bead, but not substantially. The very large opening in the sight and the thin-ness of the sight ring itself minimizes the amount of the target and peripheral area hidden. The large front sight (high visibility-type) should be easy to find and still be good for precision shots. The ghost ring is a compromise sight. It's supposed to be faster than a traditional rifle sight, and more precise than a bead.

Bead sights are extremely fast in that they don't block much of the shooter's vision, but still give a reference point for the direction their shotgun is aimed. Sure they're very fast, but lack in practical accuracy, which to me is important. I may need to take a long shot with a slug and frankly *I* have difficulty shooting slugs well with bead sights.

JD, I like most of what you have to say here, and from what I hear you build a HELL of a nice custom shotgun. I fully respect your opinions, but I'm simply going to agree to disagree, for the most part. I honestly don't think that ghost rings are the end-all/be-all of shotgun sights, and I don't like them for my own gun, but I do think they present a very usable compromise to shooters who want more precision than a bead with more speed than a rifle sight.

bc

Warp
01-20-2011, 15:05

bc

I have some. I bought 50 rounds a couple of years ago. It patterns very well. I may pick up some more and/or some of the low recoil variety as well.

When you say whatever bulk pack is on sale that sounds like target/game loads (birdshot) and that is a no-no at all of the indoor ranges I use. I'll settle for some sellier and bellot buck I suppose

A little bump with ammunition information here. I dug, and dug, and dug when deciding where to spend my limited $$$ for buckshot. This is what I came up with.

Practice (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/34353-5.html): Fiocchi 2 3/4" 9 pellet reduced recoil 9 pellet 00 buck at 1150 FPS. $5.16/10 rounds plus shipping.

I also ordered some Sellier and Bellot (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/61961-1.html) from Cheaper Than Dirt. I bought the last 140 rounds of the 12 pellet #1 buck that they had for a mere $4.42/10. I also got some 12 pellet 00 that was the same price as the Fiocchi listed above.

Defense (http://www.policehq.com/Products/FC-132LE): Federal LE 132-00. Low recoil 9 pellet 00 buck with patented flitecontrol wad. $4.00/5 rounds plus shipping. It cost me $98 for 95 rounds, shipped (shipping was quite expensive). This is the best buckshot at the best price I could find, IMO. I already received my shipment and it is most definitely the LE132 everybody over on shotgunworld adores.

I got some Federal PD132 00 (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=63491) from CTD, though it was more expensive at $5.61/5. From what I could find this stuff may be almost identical to the LE132. It looks like the LExxx ammo is only intended, by Federal, to be sold to LE, so the PD series is the civilian/private citizen version only more expensive. Maybe it is nothing more than rebadged LE?

It will be a few weeks but once I get my gun back (site install) I will pattern all of these and report back. Summary of loads to get patterned: (all 2 3/4" 00)

Remington 8 pellet reduced recoil, 1200 FPS
Winchester Ranger 8 pellet reduced recoil
Federal LE127 00 9 pellet full power with flite control, 1325 FPS
Federal LE132 00 9 pellet reduced recoil with flite control, 1145 FPS
Hornaday TAP 8 pellet lite mag with versa-tite wad, 1600 FPS
Federal PD132 00 9 pellet reduced recoil with flite control, 1145

B Coyote
01-20-2011, 16:56
I'd be interested to see the results of your patterning.

bc

Warp
01-28-2011, 16:19
Well, due to various factors I don't have much of a range report. At least not compared to what I had hoped to get.

Here is the distance I fired the following shots from. I tried to guesstimate 30' as there was no sure way to tell.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/6ba9697a.jpg

1 LE127
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/d2d173f7.jpg

The above + 1 LE132 and 1 PD132
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/bb4b519e.jpg

The above + 1 Ranger low recoil and 1 Remington managed recoil
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/861badb9.jpg

The above a little while later using some Sellier and Bellot and Fiocchi (as well as federal) in the torso and a headshot with the federal + some slugs (and lots of wads)
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/3d6a6d7f.jpg

I did not photograph (I was using my phone anyway) anything else.

As expected the Federal loads were the tightest, hands down. All three seem to pattern very well. The remington low recoil and ranger low recoil pattern better than average but nothing like the federal. The cheapest-I-could-find stuff (S&B and Fiocchi) spread out a bit.

B Coyote
01-28-2011, 16:41
That LE127 is impressive.

bc