Building a new AR but could use some advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Building a new AR but could use some advice

JTLIII
01-12-2011, 08:06
Well, with my tax return being quite nice this year I'm going to treat myself to a new AR. However, I'm unsure of what I want for the upper receiver/handguard. I don't use lasers or lights but I do use eotech and hopefully a magnifier also BUIS. So I want a full length rail up top. Rifle will be a range toy, maybe participate in 3-gun matches with as well.

I guess what I'm looking for are my options for a handguard.

I like the Daniel defense 12.0 lite rail but don't really need the side rails, and will only be putting a AFG on the bottom rail. Is there a free float tube that has a full length rail up top and maybe a moveable rail section on the bottom?
I am also considering getting a monolithic uppr from mega or vltor and trying out the laser stuff.... Don't know whatto do...

Suggestions?

NeverMore1701
01-12-2011, 08:43
You're looking for a Troy VTAC FF tube, I'd say the 11" would be right for you.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2DMID%2D16LW+BFH+VTRX11&PhotoNumber=3

JTLIII
01-12-2011, 09:08
Very nice is it possible to move the lower rail more towards the magwell though? I prefer my grip further back. If that is possible I may have found my new rail

NeverMore1701
01-12-2011, 09:20
Yep, you can move the rail section all over, add more, what/where ever you like. My favorite handguard.

mjkeat
01-12-2011, 10:44
Try these together. Lower profile and you dont have to mess with those add-a-rail sections. I have owned 3 of these rails and will continue to use them on future ARs. And they are very light weight. Perfect for 3-Gun.

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/collections/rail-systems/products/troy-trx-extreme-battlerail-13

http://store.impactweaponscomponents.com/wecomo.html

NeverMore1701
01-12-2011, 10:49
Same handguard, just with the round holes instead of oval. And the IWC products are top notch, I have one on my Noveske.

Bushflyr
01-12-2011, 11:00
Ditto. I used to use the JP V-Tac on all my builds. Then the Troy V-Tac came along. :cool: Definitely my fave. The only gripe I had with the JP was having to bolt on the top rail. Not horrible, but not ideal. Then the Troy came along and fixed that. And just for good measure they made it lighter, smaller diameter, and cheaper. :thumbsup:

BBJones
01-12-2011, 13:03
Very nice is it possible to move the lower rail more towards the magwell though? I prefer my grip further back. If that is possible I may have found my new rail

FYI - AFG is meant to be used further out on the rail and not close to the magwell. Just offering that if you haven't used one before. If you have and prefer it that way, please ignore my comment.

mjkeat
01-12-2011, 18:51
FYI - AFG is meant to be used further out on the rail and not close to the magwell. Just offering that if you haven't used one before. If you have and prefer it that way, please ignore my comment.

Exactly^

JTLIII
01-12-2011, 19:22

I didn't knkw that and I use mine currently on my sage stock m1A close up. More comfortable that way

faawrenchbndr
01-13-2011, 06:14
I prefer the JP TAC over the Troy.
If you decide to go with the Troy Extreme,.....pay attention to the directions.
If you even slightly over tighten the tension screws the rail will crack, then it's junk.
Please do not ask me how I know. :rant: