Verizon Iphone...FAIL [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Iphone...FAIL

jpa
01-12-2011, 10:14
Like anything Verizon does, they half-ass the first implementation to sucker everyone into the new product, then bring out the version that actually does what people want 4 months later.

1) Stupid phone is CDMA based on the 3G network instead of using the LTE 4G technology they've been hyping. No phone and internet at the same time and slower internet speeds = major FAIL

2) Pricing and features available haven't been released yet and it's only like 3-4 weeks til the product becomes available = big FAIL

3) 2 year contracts suck and of course if you want to upgrade 6 months down the road when the new version comes out that does everything the iphone is supposed to do, that's another new contract. FAIL!

This is just my rant...for now I'm sticking with my blackberry or I may buy a used droid from someone who is jumping on the iphone bandwagon too early. Anyone else thinking about the verizon iphone?

Cooks128
01-12-2011, 10:18
I'll stick with my Iphone with AT&T and my Verizon Blackberry for work...that is until my company moves to Verizon Iphones...which is in the works. When that happens...I'll be carrying two iphones.

zackwatt
01-12-2011, 10:21
I'll stick with my Iphone with AT&T and my Verizon Blackberry for work...that is until my company moves to Verizon Iphones...which is in the works. When that happens...I'll be carrying two iphones.

Yea you can talk on the Verizon one, and browse on the AT&T one.

Mayhem like Me
01-12-2011, 10:41
Waiting for the Droid Bionic with a Dual core available in March .. will be an improvement over the existing I phone and I much preffer the android operating system and open sourcing of the apps

itstime
01-12-2011, 10:54
With android phones are pretty sweet in their own rights now and the ones coming out soon will be amazing. This iPhone they are bringing to the market asap and not waiting for a 4g one is majorly stupid.

I should edit that and say whoever buys one is. Really wait and get one that will actually work better. Verizons 3g isn't that fast at all.

BarrySDCA
01-12-2011, 11:14
plus who wants sloppy seconds? anyone on verizon who wanted an iphone is probably with ATT now. and there are much better smart phones available these days.

Patrick Graham
01-12-2011, 13:21
Like anything Verizon does, they half-ass the first implementation to sucker everyone into the new product, then bring out the version that actually does what people want 4 months later.

1) Stupid phone is CDMA based on the 3G network instead of using the LTE 4G technology they've been hyping. No phone and internet at the same time and slower internet speeds = major FAIL

2) Pricing and features available haven't been released yet and it's only like 3-4 weeks til the product becomes available = big FAIL

3) 2 year contracts suck and of course if you want to upgrade 6 months down the road when the new version comes out that does everything the iphone is supposed to do, that's another new contract. FAIL!

This is just my rant...for now I'm sticking with my blackberry or I may buy a used droid from someone who is jumping on the iphone bandwagon too early. Anyone else thinking about the verizon iphone?

And, from what CNets says, you can't talk on the Verizon IPhone and surf the net at the same time.

I don't understand 3G on the IPhone after all the hyping Verizon has done about their 4G.

Toyman
01-12-2011, 17:24

1) LTE? You get that in what, 20 cities?
2) Pricing isn't going to be much different than AT&T.
3) I'll give you that, it's retarded to release now when iPhone 5 will probably come in june.

Wolfpack1
01-12-2011, 17:39
Apple has been working with Verizon and the 3G phone for a long time. The only reason they are releasing it, is to recoup some of the costs they incurred in the R&D process. They know people will buy an outdated phone at a premium price. That is pretty much how all of Apples products work... as I type this from my Mac Book.

Rabbit994
01-12-2011, 17:52
I'll preface all this with "I'm on Sprint, have HTC Evo and think iPhone is Fisher Price SmartPhone"

First, Verizon LTE as currently deployed is data only. While Verizon announced some Android LTE SmartPhones, it's unknown if they will make calls on LTE or simply use it for data similar to Sprint method. In any case, you will have to have two radios, one CDMA, one LTE. Which leads me to point #2

Second, iPhone 4 CDMA is simply GSM radio replaced with CDMA. Doing 4G iPhone would have required two radios, one CDMA, one LTE. My guess is iPhone 4 doesn't have room. Everyone who has taken apart iPhone 4 has noted how "tight" it is in the phone. Also it's possible that iOS telephony stack isn't updated to support LTE.

Third, unable to use data while talking is known issue with CDMA system. It's been in place for a while and for most people is pretty minor. Power users notice it (I have) but most don't.

Finally, are you surprised Verizon is locking you to 2 year contract? They are going for early adapters and plan to gorge them as much as they can.

stooxie
01-13-2011, 19:13
Guys, it's business. You think VZW/Apple would be doing this if they didn't think there was a market?

They'll sell plenty of phones and that's that.

-Stooxie

TexanOutWest
01-13-2011, 19:21
Waiting for the Droid Bionic with a Dual core available in March .. will be an improvement over the existing I phone and I much preffer the android operating system and open sourcing of the apps

I second that emotion! Been drooling for a Bionic to replace my Droid "Classic". :supergrin:

Tex

DreamWeaver88
01-13-2011, 19:26
Finally, are you surprised Verizon is locking you to 2 year contract? They are going for early adapters and plan to gorge them as much as they can.

What carrier subsidized phones can you get that don't require a 2 year contract?

DW

hamster
01-13-2011, 20:30
Lets face it. The only reason Droid sold at all was because it was an alternative for the iPhone for those who could not get one. I love android, but the general market out there isn't made up of computer nerds like me.

iPhone brought smartphone technology to the mainstream and in doing so became a household name.

As for the Verizon CDMA version. It would not work for me because I travel extensively internationally, however the no phone/internet at same time is a complete non-issue for me. I've had AT&T iPhones since they first came out (also have an Android device unlocked for use in Europe). I can count on one hand when I've had to be chatting on the phone and browse on 3G at the same time. The only time I think this is an issue is when I'm using GPS for traffic updates while chatting.

Keep in mind, the phone can still browse Wifi while on a call, making this even less of an issue. While the iPhone may be a "Fail" with the über-nerds like myself, I think for the average verizon user still using a dumb-phone it will be a very temping upgrade.

Apple & Verizon will make a killing on these.

Ken B
01-13-2011, 21:23
I started getting the emails about 'it's coming' and getting on the list for an early one...
but then I saw on CNET about the 3G crap...
i'm up for renewal, and I'm just going to debate on which Droid to get...

kinda tired of the whole "Iphone Cult" sounding thing...

W4CNG
01-13-2011, 21:54
Ok here is the real info. The AT&T iPhone 3G or 4G will do voice and data at the same time. That means when you are on a cell call you can get Text or push messages at the same time and it will beep. The Verizon CDMA will do only one of these at a time which means if you are on a 20 minute phone call the 7 text messages you just got from your office and big friends they are stuck in que until you end your Phone call you won't get them. This is really how it works and why I have an AT&T iPhone and all my family has them. Go do the Verizon thing, that will only enable my iPhone and my family's to have more time to do our unlimited thing...

W4CNG
01-13-2011, 21:57
Also for you folks looking at 4G networks with your Smart Phones, that only works for DATA. Your phone calls on those dual mode phones will still route on the 3G or less Phone systems that have existed before 4G networks. There is no Voice Phone System on the 4G Networks.....

stooxie
01-14-2011, 07:50
Lets face it. The only reason Droid sold at all was because it was an alternative for the iPhone for those who could not get one. I love android, but the general market out there isn't made up of computer nerds like me.

iPhone brought smartphone technology to the mainstream and in doing so became a household name.

As for the Verizon CDMA version. It would not work for me because I travel extensively internationally, however the no phone/internet at same time is a complete non-issue for me. I've had AT&T iPhones since they first came out (also have an Android device unlocked for use in Europe). I can count on one hand when I've had to be chatting on the phone and browse on 3G at the same time. The only time I think this is an issue is when I'm using GPS for traffic updates while chatting.

Keep in mind, the phone can still browse Wifi while on a call, making this even less of an issue. While the iPhone may be a "Fail" with the über-nerds like myself, I think for the average verizon user still using a dumb-phone it will be a very temping upgrade.

Apple & Verizon will make a killing on these.

:goodpost:

-Stooxie

Bill Lumberg
01-14-2011, 10:50
Tried both. I've found nothing that equals or surpasses iphone.

jpa
01-14-2011, 14:10

This is the first I'm hearing of this. I didn't get to go to CES, had to work all week. Looks like a pretty impressive alternative though....

What carrier subsidized phones can you get that don't require a 2 year contract?

DW

You can get any of them without a contract, but you need to pay the "full MSRP"

I started getting the emails about 'it's coming' and getting on the list for an early one...
but then I saw on CNET about the 3G crap...
i'm up for renewal, and I'm just going to debate on which Droid to get...

kinda tired of the whole "Iphone Cult" sounding thing...

I think that Droid Bionic looks like a pretty viable option....and when that one comes out, all the existing droids are going to drop in price like a rock.

Also for you folks looking at 4G networks with your Smart Phones, that only works for DATA. Your phone calls on those dual mode phones will still route on the 3G or less Phone systems that have existed before 4G networks. There is no Voice Phone System on the 4G Networks.....

Of course 4G is only for data. Why in the world would I care that my phone call is 4G or 3G or analog cellular? I don't, as long as the party on the other end can understand me clearly.

dreis454
01-14-2011, 14:23
Until 2 weeks ago I was using a Razr2 on Verizon...My wife & I got Droid Incredibles on the buy one get one deal.

The Droid does more than I can do so I'll stick with it.

kc8ykd
01-14-2011, 16:55
Ok here is the real info. The AT&T iPhone 3G or 4G will do voice and data at the same time. That means when you are on a cell call you can get Text or push messages at the same time and it will beep. The Verizon CDMA will do only one of these at a time which means if you are on a 20 minute phone call the 7 text messages you just got from your office and big friends they are stuck in que until you end your Phone call you won't get them. This is really how it works and why I have an AT&T iPhone and all my family has them. Go do the Verizon thing, that will only enable my iPhone and my family's to have more time to do our unlimited thing...

that's not exactly true.

vz uses a system very similar to sprint (which i currently use) and their phones fall back to 1xRTT for data while in a voice call.

text messages still come through during a call, and so do emails and other data, just very slow compared to being in evdo mode for data. (144kbps vs. X mbp/s)

stooxie
01-14-2011, 17:09
that's not exactly true.

vz uses a system very similar to sprint (which i currently use) and their phones fall back to 1xRTT for data while in a voice call.

text messages still come through during a call, and so do emails and other data, just very slow compared to being in evdo mode for data. (144kbps vs. X mbp/s)

Correct. I can send and receive SMS just fine with an active phone call on my Sprint phone.

-Stooxie

razageorge
01-14-2011, 18:07
Thanks you . I'll stick to my $50 pawn shop Jailbroken on Vodafone (Europe) till something better comes along. (PS said headphone port didn't work, I just pulled broken headphone plug out!)

Iphones are cool, just set the alarm to ring at 0800, got to drive to Prague tomorrow.

bandit390
01-16-2011, 12:25
The biggest fail is the iPhone 5 will be out 4 months after the verizon's iphone 4.

bandit390
01-16-2011, 12:27

Wrong. Text messaging will still work (send/rec) while on a phone call. Other data services, like email or surfing the web, will not.

bandit390
01-16-2011, 12:32

I've always done 1 year contracts, which allows me to upgrade every 10 months. There is no proof as of now that 1 year contracts won't be available for verizons iphone.

HexHead
01-16-2011, 14:33
I've always done 1 year contracts, which allows me to upgrade every 10 months. There is no proof as of now that 1 year contracts won't be available for verizons iphone.

Probably will cost you $399 though.

JohnBT
01-16-2011, 21:39
"I'll preface all this with "I'm on Sprint"...

...and my phone doesn't even have a camera. :whistling:

Everything else I have is on FiOS. When can I get my screaming FiOS internet speed on a phone?

:dunno:

MySiK26
01-17-2011, 11:34
that's not exactly true.

Yup, I still get texts while on a call.

gemeinschaft
01-17-2011, 21:45
1) LTE? You get that in what, 20 cities?
2) Pricing isn't going to be much different than AT&T.
3) I'll give you that, it's retarded to release now when iPhone 5 will probably come in june.

If you want an iPhone 5 earlier than when they even admit that it exists, hang out at a bar near Cupertino, CA... I am sure some Apple engineer will be asked to drop one again for the publicity. :rofl:

DreamWeaver88
01-18-2011, 19:58
You can get any of them without a contract, but you need to pay the "full MSRP"

I know that. You stated that 2 year contracts suck and that if you upgrade 6 months down the road you have a new 2 year contract, and that's a FAIL. That's for ANY phone, not just the iPhone.

I don't see how a contract that every phone comes with (unless you pay full price) is somehow a failure just on the iPhone.

DW

Bill Lumberg
01-19-2011, 08:39
Because it isn't. Know what you're buying ahead of time. Avoid adolescent impulse buying, jumping from phone to phone or carrier to carrier, and a 1 or 2 year contract isn't a big deal. I've always had the phones I wanted and never found myself unduly restricted .

jeffyjeff
01-20-2011, 22:21
i want one, but i care not for a contract or data plan. currently im using an old verizon phone on pagepluscelluar (super cheap prepaid verizon reseller, you can activate any verizon phone on their network) but i also carry around my ipod touch. if i could get one of the new verizon iphones, there'd be one less thing to carry around!

ATL Peach Girl
01-23-2011, 04:38
I can get a new phone with Verizon in March and plan to dump my Blackberry Storm 1 for some kind of a Droid with a physical QWERTY keyboard along with a touchscreen keyboard. I fat finger my keys all the time with my current BB phone and I done with it.

You Verizon folks......what do you recommend?? I will go fish around on the Verizon site for phone, and patiently wait for March 17th to roll around. :wavey:

PlayboyPenguin
01-23-2011, 04:41
I left the iPhone awhile ago and have not looked back. I will stick to my EVO 4G. I just cannot go back down to the smaller screen of the iPhone.

squiddie545
01-23-2011, 07:22
My wife wants an Iphone. After reading this thread, I am now unhappy that verizon is doing this. WTF. I am screwed though cuz' she wants an Iphone and told her that we will wait till verizon gets the phone. Now that it is here, V-zone looks like it will intentionally screw over a lot of people and I will be one of them.

Bill Lumberg
01-23-2011, 09:08
So far, no substitute for an iphone, but I'm not going to lie, there's no way I can type as fast on an iphone as I can on a blackberry or other physical keyboard.

dreis454
01-23-2011, 10:57
I don't see how the iphone can be much better than my Droid Incredible.

hikerpaddler
01-23-2011, 12:13
No competition yet, but I think droid/et al will catch up with iPhone. But it may take a while.

Singlestack Wonder
01-23-2011, 13:42
Unfortunately with the Droid platform, if one wishes to download and utilize apps, 99% of those require that you give Google and the app developers access to private information on your phone (contacts, numbers, etc.) to install them. I use my HTC Droid phone as just that, a phone with a contact and calendar database. While there are some apps I would use, giving up privacy for the permission to use the apps is unacceptable. While the android OS has been a refreshing entry in the market over the last couple years, Google's underlying plan was to acquire and sell user's personal information to marketing companies.

grokdesigns
01-24-2011, 12:24
Unfortunately with the Droid platform, if one wishes to download and utilize apps, 99% of those require that you give Google and the app developers access to private information on your phone (contacts, numbers, etc.) to install them.

Android, Palm, iPhone...they all access personal data, this is not just an Android issue.

Singlestack Wonder
01-24-2011, 14:17
Android, Palm, iPhone...they all access personal data, this is not just an Android issue.

This was not the case on the Palm Treo platform. Yes, the newer Palm offering is much like the andoid in this case.

darkbarrel
01-26-2011, 12:33
That's basically the same thing that happened back when they came out with the blackberry storm. I preordered the first version. Then they came out with the storm 2, and it literally put the storm 1 to shame and made me smack my face for buying it right away....

volsbear
01-26-2011, 12:42
I use Verizon and I have no plans of changing. For me, the places where I wander, Verizon has been the only 100% reliable carrier and we've tried 3 in the last 6 years. I currently have a BB Storm 2 and I hate it.

I already signed up for the Verizon iphone when it becomes available.

boomhower
01-29-2011, 20:50
I'm switching over from an EVO. I've had it with Sprint and iOS is the only OS I haven't tried yet. I've had Android, BB, webOS, and even the old Palm OS. I'm getting the wife an iPhone 4 and myself a used Droid 1 and will pick up an iPhone 5 this summer.

KharToon
02-19-2011, 19:18
Guys, it's business. You think VZW/Apple would be doing this if they didn't think there was a market?

They'll sell plenty of phones and that's that.

-Stooxie

Exactly what he said.