Any engineers on GT? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any engineers on GT?

gomerpyle
01-12-2011, 14:12
My company is upgrading our dinosaur CAD software and computers FINALLY! We're using AutoCAD 2000. I've been out of the loop since school. Based on programs I have used, it seems Solidworks would fit us perfect. I have some pretty extravagant designs on the table now, and AutoCAD 2000 just isn't cutting it. Whatever I find for software, it needs to be able to open .dwg files. What's out there these days, and what would you recommend?

JK-linux
01-12-2011, 14:23
If you have the cash, it's tough to beat CATIA.

sirgarreth
01-12-2011, 14:24
We use both. Solidworks for the mechanical structural side of things, then AutCAD 2010 MECH for the electrical 2D portions. We use HP ELitebooks to run them.
Intel Core 2 DUO T9600 2.8
3GB Ram
It runs really good. Hope that helps. We also have Katia, but a different dept. uses that. It is much better, but also WAYYYYY more money!

gomerpyle
01-12-2011, 14:30
We used to have CATIA when our main work load was for Chrysler (this was 6 or so years ago). After the designing was done for the jobs, my company pulled the plug on our 2 seats. It was ok, but a little too much $$ for what I'm doing these days. I haven't played with anything new from AutoCAD, are they still more 2D oriented?

gomerpyle
01-12-2011, 14:34
Thanks for the help. Trying to get some basic info before going into the bean counters office and explaining what I want to buy.

prism
01-12-2011, 21:17
wouldn't the training be easier/faster/cheaper if you upgraded to another autocad product?

gomerpyle
01-12-2011, 23:04
Yes it would. My boss would really need to be the 1 trained, he's only used CATIA and AutoCad. He's a very intelligent person, so I'm sure it wouldn't take long for him to pick it up. Most of the drawing work gets thrown at me though, so what little he'd need help on I can show him. I used Solidworks/Cosmosmotion for many years, I don't really need more training. After talking with my owner and accountant for a few hours today, we're going the Solidworks route. I can't wait!

glock2619
01-14-2011, 14:42
I very much like Autodesk Inventor. .dwg's will be no problem for you to view or create. Many machine shops are still stuck on some version of Autocad, so sticking with an Autodesk product might be useful.

Last job we used ProEngineer for much of the product design. You can create some amazing surfaces with ProE. To me, ProE isn't very intuitive. For the tooling etc, we used AutoCad and then started using Inventor. I never looked back. Love the program and have just scratched the surface of it's capability.

zackwatt
01-14-2011, 15:42
Solidworks...

Palmguy
01-14-2011, 17:08
We use SolidWorks 2010/2011...no complaints...

Ragin Cajun
01-14-2011, 21:41
Happy with Auto Cad R2012. My work is all 2D. Started with R7

RC

P2K
01-15-2011, 08:34
In the aircraft industry, we use CATIA, and it works great. However, it is very expensive and depending on the size/nature of your company, it may not fit the bill. At my last job, we used AutoCAD Mechanical Desktop which was similar to CATIA in many ways. I think this has been discontinued in favor of Inventor.

gomerpyle
01-15-2011, 23:46
Thanks guys. I'm looking for more of a 3D based software. My basic work has been 2D for years, but any design work I'm NEEDING 3D. On Monday I have someone coming out to install Solidworks on our new laptops we picked up on Friday. Some Lenovo's with a lot of goodies :) couldn't be happier. Even though I hate taking work home, sometimes there just isn't enough hours in a day and it'll be helpful.

ChesterCRD
01-16-2011, 08:04
One quick note on CATIA, if you need to work remote their licensing doesn't function correctly via RDP. Where we work we have to use remote console sofware (VNC) if we use CATIA remote.

We only use it to convert customer drawings to PDF. Pretty nuts that we have to pay what it costs to do that.