A few questions about Colt, from the ignorant. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about Colt, from the ignorant.

Teecher45
01-12-2011, 14:28
1) is my new (bought at Christmas) Commander made in the US, or assembled here? Or how much of each?
2) How much MIM?
3) is it okay to shoot +P loads through it?
4) am I stuck with the sights that came on it or can night sights be put on it?
5) why does my Colt Commander come with a lifetime warranty and my Colt 6920 (AR) come with a year warranty?
Just things I've wondered for a little bit. Thanks guys/girls!

Nickpisp
01-12-2011, 14:39
1) is my new (bought at Christmas) Commander made in the US, or assembled here? Or how much of each?
2) How much MIM?
3) is it okay to shoot +P loads through it?
4) am I stuck with the sights that came on it or can night sights be put on it?
5) why does my Colt Commander come with a lifetime warranty and my Colt 6920 (AR) come with a year warranty?

1) Made and assembled here.
2) Very little
3) Not sure
4) You can get night sights for it
5) AR's are made by a different division of Colt, maybe that's why.

Teecher45
01-12-2011, 14:48
sorry, just thought about it...
6) can you suggest a good set of very narrow grips, probably rubber for CC?
7) if I use a plastic (kydex) holster will this hurt my finish (blued)? I don't mind a little wear over the years, my father has a .38 (S&W) that has some leather holster wear and I think it adds character. Will the plastic result in the same or will it scar/scratch? I'm thinking about both CC (maybe Crossbread) and just around the farm holsters.
Thanks...

Trent
01-12-2011, 18:04
1. All of it is made and assembled in the U.S.
2. Three parts that take no stress in the base model (1991A1); less in the higher
end models.
3. Yes, I shoot it exclusively in the one I carry and have for at least five years
with no issues. It shot normal pressure rounds and +P without issue for the
previous ten years.
4. You can put any sites on it you like, or that you can find someone to do the
work with the sites you prefer.
5. Because they are different weapon systems completely with decidedly
different end line purchasers targeted and expected as well as it being
separate divisions.

Greyhoundman
01-13-2011, 18:12
6. VZ Grips
7. Kydex will scratch in to a standard blue finish

CAcop
01-13-2011, 18:20
1) is my new (bought at Christmas) Commander made in the US, or assembled here? Or how much of each?All USA
2) How much MIM?Check 1911forums.com they hve a list
3) is it okay to shoot +P loads through it? Yes but as with any gun the more hot load the faster it wears
4) am I stuck with the sights that came on it or can night sights be put on it?I take it you have the staked on sights. You can put in staked on night sights. It's not too hard but it will take tools of varying types and sucess. If I really wanted to put night sight on my 1991A1 I would just send the slide off to any number of good gunsmiths to do it
5) why does my Colt Commander come with a lifetime warranty and my Colt 6920 (AR) come with a year warranty? Different divisions probably but also from my Colt AR-15 armorer Colt will get AR-15 rifles sent back in vastly different condition than they were shipped as. For example a PD shipped a bunch of 6920 rifles back because they weren't working right. When Colt opens up the box they find Middy uppers on them. Colt doesn't make Middys. Colt sent them back because the PD had sold off the 6920 uppers to pay for the Middy uppers. I think for 1911s it is really hard to screw up a gun that much they can't get it working again.

See above

CAcop
01-13-2011, 18:25
sorry, just thought about it...
6) can you suggest a good set of very narrow grips, probably rubber for CC?No idea but I go to Brownells and Midway for ideas.
7) if I use a plastic (kydex) holster will this hurt my finish (blued)? I don't mind a little wear over the years, my father has a .38 (S&W) that has some leather holster wear and I think it adds character. Will the plastic result in the same or will it scar/scratch? I'm thinking about both CC (maybe Crossbread) and just around the farm holsters.My duty 1991A1 ia pretty worn from a Safariland 6280 holster. I have never really tried kydex with it. If you plan on shooting it or holstering it there will be wear. People like to ay Glocks don't loose their finish but they do if you holster them enough. Our issued Glocks get pulled out of the holster probably on average 2-4X a day (end of day and varous other reasons) a few years of that the finish is worn where the locking blocks in the holster hit the slide.
Thanks...

see above

Teecher45
01-18-2011, 08:00
Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

G36_Me
01-19-2011, 22:10
my suggestion; keep the gun the way it is and buy another one configured the way you want it. these guns are awesome.