milspec 1911's versus tuned 1911's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : milspec 1911's versus tuned 1911's

Ermac
01-12-2011, 14:22
Are all these features like flared ejection ports and full length guide rods really make the gun more reliable? Are they even needed? I have shot Colt's with these features and I was not impressed with the reliability. A SA GI 1911 I shot on the other hand was one of the most reliable 1911's I ever shot.

Bearlaker
01-12-2011, 14:26
Flared ports usually prevent brass from hitting the shooter in the forehead, but if the extractor is properly tuned, it's not an issue.

Full length guide rods are supposed to look cool, I guess. They aren't needed.

faawrenchbndr
01-12-2011, 14:40
Full length guide rods have been argued for years.
I've tried the GI & a full length,......I prefer the GI

samuse
01-12-2011, 14:56
I don't think a lowered and flared ejection port will make it more reliable but it will keep the brass in better shape and spit it out to the side when a longer ejector is used.

I'm not sure what a full length guiderod is supposed to do.

IME, 1911 reliability has been pretty easy to iron out, especially with ball ammo.

This works for me:

-properly tuned/radiused extractor
-properly tuned ejector
-correct feedramp geometry
-chamber reamed to G.I. spec and polished
-23lb mainspring
-16lb recoil spring
-9 1/2lb mag springs in good mags (Checkmate G.I., hybrids, Wilsons, Tripps)
-decent ammo (WWB, Federal A.E., etc...)

Trent
01-12-2011, 17:23
What samuse said above and add lubrication. I've noticed many gun owners used to glocks or other polymer weapon systems don't use any lube on the slide or other contact points when shooting-- different sidearm with different needs.

Typically good mags and proper lubrication cure most 1911 ills. If not, check the extractor; that usually cures the remainder. If it's an older pistol the feed ramp may require polishing for hollow points.

If it's a Kimber, have the chamber reamed. It's out of spec. :supergrin:

Most of the changes have to do with what the shooter desires for his own personal tastes. I usually have better sights put on due to my middle-aged eyes and a different trigger on anything I buy. Other changes depend upon the 1911 I purchase.

bac1023
01-12-2011, 18:04
A Mil-Spec already has the lowered and flared port.

TSAX
01-12-2011, 19:02
Most of the changes have to do with what the shooter desires for his own personal tastes. I usually have better sights put on due to my middle-aged eyes and a different trigger on anything I buy. Other changes depend upon the 1911 I purchase.

:agree:

I have a friend who tuned his extractor, polished his feed ramp and over lubed (really his 1911 was dripping with Gun Slick) before he even shot the gun.

We both bought the same Kimber and I didn't need to do any of this. He heard that some 1911s needed this and went with it. I understand if there are issues and you need to do this but mine didn't have brass hitting me in the face it hit the guy next to me :supergrin:

Sights are one thing everyone definitely with all the options and variations has people wanting their preference. So I see this as the most changed item on a 1911. Even some people buy a custom $2000 to $3000 and change out the sights because its not the right combo for them.