Saw a couple of 5901A1's today , REALLY want one... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Saw a couple of 5901A1's today , REALLY want one...

ScrappyDoo
01-12-2011, 17:31
...So I stopped at a LGS as I was driving past... Just really wanted to see if anything caught my eye...

They had 3 Mossberg 5901A1s, one was plain IMHO, the other was plain and speedfeed stock, so both I didn't really like.

The third I liked quite a bit... it was an 18.5" , Ghost Ring Sight shotgun, nice parkerized gray color, it felt AWESOME in my hands... I want a Benelli Supernvoa and that's what I think I should wait for but no one has one, so I have to order one , and this one is just waiting for me there.

But when I look through Mossberg's listing of 590A1's , a few also I like, the 20.5" barrel models are all very nice... as is the 590A1 SPX .. and this store also had the 20" barrel, 9-shot, recoil-reducing-pistol-grip-stocked model this summer, I almost bought that, it was very very nice... I really liked it.

So part of me thinks I should just go buy it, cause I like it. Part of me is like, you know you want the Benelli Supernova Tactical, order that, go get a 590A1 sometime in the future. What do you guys think?

hogarth
01-12-2011, 17:54
I got the exact one you're lusting after a couple of years ago. 18.5 with GRS, parkerized. It's a heavy beast, but I like it. I preferred it to the longer model as this way it's shorter, handier, and less muzzle heavy. I've added a Surefire forend, a sidesaddle, and a shorter LOP Hogue buttstock. It is quite nice. It's pricier than the 500 (I think I paid $405 for mine, then added the extras), but I like the metal safety, trigger guard, parkerized finish, and the sights were just a bonus.

Boeydafunk
01-12-2011, 19:17
I have the same one as above. 18.5 barrel, ghostring sights, sweet parc finish sidesaddle and sf foreend. Its a sweet setup but am selling it to a friend for the more beast like nine round model. This time no saddle or light. You get what you want but for a hd or tac setup its hard to beat that a1

JGguns
01-13-2011, 06:16
I am hopefully picking up my 9 shot model 590a1 today. This will be my first 590, i can't wait to shoot the beast. Mine will have the grs, and the speedfeed stock on it. I would say get what you want, if you still really want the benelli get it. Cause if your anything like me you will settle on something else then kick yourself for doing it. That being said I never met a shotgun I didn't like and I am sure the 590a1 won't disappoint.

drumr04
01-13-2011, 10:41
I have the 9 shot 590A1 and it's a very solid weapon. With a 20" barrel it's a little muzzle heavy but when I'm shooting it I don't really notice the weight.

mdfd
01-13-2011, 11:13
You really can't go wrong with a 590A1. I looked for one when they first came out but could not find anything reasonable so I ended up with a reg 590 20" 9-shot. I installed the metal safety swap as well as a Meprolight front sight in place of the bead, and a Wolf tube spring. It's been 100% for me.
Benelli's are nice guns but bang for the buck the Moss has it beat with no compromise in reliability...

GACajunGlocker
01-13-2011, 11:53
I bought the 18" barrel version 590A1 with the regular rifle sights. I "fondled" ones with the Ghost sights but just could not get comfortable with the sight picture. I am going to replace the rifle sights with night sights from AmeriGlo...the 3 dot set. A bit pricey but I like the sight picture much better. It matches the sight picture on all my Glocks...they all have 3 dot night sights as well.

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/shotgun-sights/mossberg/night-sights/complete-sets

TheGrimReaper
01-13-2011, 15:03
They are nice aren't they?

ScrappyDoo
01-13-2011, 17:18
OK so here's the latest:

I thought about it overnight and was going to think about purchasing the Ghost Ring'd version. I decided I'd see what they'd do for price because... the one I really liked, the 18.5" I BELIEVE 6-shot compact, Ghost Ring'd 590A1 they have, has a nice big scratch through the middle of the receiver and it's got a little bit of wear on it and a dull finish (for being brand new) ... I am willing to deal with this especially as my utility shotgun, but not at full price $450.

After a bunch of run around on the phone (and more than one attempt at "Come in and we'll talk about it, naw come in and we'll give you a good price) I finally get aphone call back with a price of 10% off, LOL No thanks. I sent a long and eloquent email detailing my desire for 33% off for the large scratch, numerous smaller scratches and overall dilemmas to the parkerization , and possible necessity of refinishing or gunsmith TLC, which would be around ~~ $300... but would accept a 25% discount , price of $337.50, if they would, to get the deal done.

I doubt they take that deal of $337.50 but we'll see!

Noblinger
01-14-2011, 23:11
lol 33%

Foxtrotx1
01-15-2011, 03:39
lol 33%

haha yeah.

glocked-up
01-15-2011, 07:09
After learning all the differences between the 500, 590, 590A1. I knew a 590A1 20" barrel 9 round capacity w/GRS is what I really wanted. Would have settled for a 18.5" 590 or A1 with or without GRS to save on the price difference. After looking around for the better part of this week I found what I wanted, the 590A1 w/GRS on sale (on sale for this particular store anyways) for what I was willing to pay $429.

PlasticGuy
01-15-2011, 12:50
OK so here's the latest:

I thought about it overnight and was going to think about purchasing the Ghost Ring'd version. I decided I'd see what they'd do for price because... the one I really liked, the 18.5" I BELIEVE 6-shot compact, Ghost Ring'd 590A1 they have, has a nice big scratch through the middle of the receiver and it's got a little bit of wear on it and a dull finish (for being brand new) ... I am willing to deal with this especially as my utility shotgun, but not at full price $450.

After a bunch of run around on the phone (and more than one attempt at "Come in and we'll talk about it, naw come in and we'll give you a good price) I finally get aphone call back with a price of 10% off, LOL No thanks. I sent a long and eloquent email detailing my desire for 33% off for the large scratch, numerous smaller scratches and overall dilemmas to the parkerization , and possible necessity of refinishing or gunsmith TLC, which would be around ~~ $300... but would accept a 25% discount , price of $337.50, if they would, to get the deal done.

I doubt they take that deal of $337.50 but we'll see!
If you were trying to waste their time and irritate them, it sounds like you did a good job.

To the original question, the 590a1 is an excellent combat shotgun. I've got an 18.5" that was built by Vang Comp, and a box stock 20" version. Both have ghost ring sights, short Hogue stocks, and side-saddles, and the Vang has a SureFire forend. I like the 20", but I love the Vang.

bsg1
01-16-2011, 23:12
although i prefer the Remington 870 and own 2 of them... the Mossberg is a fine shotgun imo. there is plenty of aftermarket support for the Mossberg; not so with the Benelli.

i also have high regard for just about anything Benelli has put out, and own a Benelli M1 Super 90. the Supernova is high quality and the finish is very nice as well.

you didn't really expect the dealer to consider knocking 33% off the price did you? it seems like you want the Benelli. if that's the case... then go for it.

your best game plan would be to shoot both shotguns and then decide.