vltor..vs CTR stock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : vltor..vs CTR stock

Fwdftw
01-12-2011, 18:10
Pros cons?

Ive had the ctr..never had the vltor lookin for opinions for my new set up on the 14.5

Tucson_1
01-12-2011, 18:23
VLTOR wins for the cheek weld and storage, CTR wins for low drag. Kind of two different animals.

NeverMore1701
01-12-2011, 18:26
I don't like the width on any of the stocks with the battery tubes.

Bushflyr
01-12-2011, 18:27
Well, I've not used a CTR, but most of my builds use the Vltor E-mod. I've used other stocks and they all seem to force me to either drop my head or put up with the sharp, pointy toe of the stock digging into the pit of my shoulder. The E-mod has a nice rolled toe that I can place up high on my shoulder and keep my head fully erect without discomfort.

If you're curious I would definitely recommend giving the E-mod a try. You're definitely not losing anything to the CTR and the potential upside is pretty big.

E-mod left vs UBR right, FWIW.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/bushflyr/65%20Grendel/IMG_4566.jpg

Fwdftw
01-12-2011, 18:32
Low drag Tuscon?

Tucson_1
01-12-2011, 18:36
Low drag Tuscon?

Light weight, low bulk. Look up "High speed low drag" in the military context. Think "lean and mean".

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-12-2011, 19:21
The ctr is light, nice, and easy. The Emod is ugly and bulky...but it sure is comfortable

BBJones
01-12-2011, 23:34
EMOD is pretty heavy. You might want also consider an IMOD. Less weight and same cheekweld.

01-12-2011, 23:47
VLTOR wins for the cheek weld and storage, CTR wins for low drag. Kind of two different animals.
What he said.

01-12-2011, 23:49
Btw, I don't particularly care for the VLTOR Emod (for reasons stated above), but I do like their original Modstock.

Alaskapopo
01-13-2011, 00:11
Pros cons?

Ive had the ctr..never had the vltor lookin for opinions for my new set up on the 14.5

The VLTOR Emod is my favorate stock for feel. I have them on most of my AR's.
Pat

ronin.45
01-13-2011, 00:13
I've owned the Vltor mod-stock(clubfoot) and the CTR. I prefer the solid lockup of the CTR. I don't have an issue with cheekweld on either. I also don't need the storage.

crazymoose
01-13-2011, 05:19
It really depends on the bone structure of your face. I find standard stocks, the CTR, and the UBR to be extremely uncomfortable. I like a wider cheek rest, and usually go with the EMOD or the SOPMOD. The ACS is pretty good, as well.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Tucson_1
01-13-2011, 16:26
I've owned the Vltor mod-stock(clubfoot) and the CTR. I prefer the solid lockup of the CTR. I don't have an issue with cheekweld on either. I also don't need the storage.

I've had the VLTOR Clubfoot for a several years and I've liked it but I recently moved it from my 5.56 rifle to my S&W 15-22 which has a scope. I moved it to the scoped rifle for the improved cheek weld and I moved the MOE stock from that rifle to my 5.56 rifle. I'd like to check out the CTR for the improved lock-up that you're talking about. I like the sleek look of the Magpul design.
Before switching them around:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/jloftus/ARandTrainer.jpg

WayaX
01-13-2011, 21:17
It's really apples to oranges. A more apt comparison is the Emod vs the ACS. In which, get whichever brand name gives you more tacticoolness.

But back on point...

The Emod is heavy, therefore it goes well with an AR that you plan on hanging a bunch of things off of (light, laser, ipod, toaster, etc). The CTR is significantly lighter, and if used on a weapon with a rail system, makes the gun feel front heavy. The opposite is true if using an Emod on a gun with plastic handguards and no tactical goodies. Also, if you have nothing to power with batteries, the Emod loses a lot of it's appeal. But as people stated before, they're not really all that comparable.

For my AR-15, I use a Magpul ACS since I have a light, optic, and magpul AFG to balance the gun out. I got a decent deal on the ACS, otherwise, I would've just as readily gone for the VLTOR.

surf
01-14-2011, 00:24
As we can see much is user preference and to each their own.

Like many here, I own numerous stocks including most mentioned in this thread. For myself in a carbine, weight is weight and bulk is bulk and balance is overrated IMO. So I prefer lighter and the Vltor Modstock, IMOD or the CTR is a better choice. In some of my SPR type rifles I will go for a heavier stock and tend to prefer my UBR's. I do like the pillow feel of the Emod and the Sopmod's but they are just too heavy and my EMODs are still too long for when I want the stock fully collapsed when in full gear. IMO they are also too bulky for pure speed when doing combat type shooting. The size of the stock is just too much of an interference when really snapping the weapon around. Again for myself on a carbine weight is weight and bulk is bulk.

Michigun
01-15-2011, 22:26
I'm a VLTOR fan myself.

TedG
01-16-2011, 07:29
The IMOD is a very good stock, and I like the storage ability.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/2010-12-281.jpg

faawrenchbndr
01-16-2011, 08:06
Both are nice,......if I had to choose I'd pick the Vltor.
I prefer the MagPul UBR though