I carry a G19c, would you carry a compinsated model??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I carry a G19c, would you carry a compinsated model???

Folsom_Prison
10-04-2010, 22:27
I carry a G19c. I was browsing google and ran into some other forums. They didnt reccomend carrying the compensated model due to the flash of the muzzle and slide. I really don't feel it's a issue IMO. What do you guys think??

AZ Husker
10-04-2010, 22:30
I carry a G32C. The stories about blinding flash and burned flesh are hugely overblown.

Folsom_Prison
10-04-2010, 22:34
I carry a G32C. The stories about blinding flash and burned flesh are hugely overblown.

I agree!! IMO the flash only lasts for a second!! It's not like it sticks around for minutes and you can't re sight and shoot your next round.

Doc Holliday
10-04-2010, 22:42
No I would not carry a compensated model.

I want everything going out the front of the gun, not out the top and possibly bounced back towards me. (bullet shavings, hot gases and gunpowder)

Folsom_Prison
10-04-2010, 23:04
No I would not carry a compensated model.

I want everything going out the front of the gun, not out the top and possibly bounced back towards me. (bullet shavings, hot gases and gunpowder)

Really, huh. I shot my G19c yesterday and didn't have any issues with bullet shavings, hot gases or gunpowder!!

RON in PA
10-05-2010, 00:17
While I don't currently own a G19C, when I did I compared it to a 38 special revolver in low lighting conditions. Guess what, the revolver had more flash coming from the barrel-cylinder gap than the flash coming from the G19's port. This is highly over-rated IMHO.

DJ Niner
10-05-2010, 00:38
I carry a G32C. The stories about blinding flash and burned flesh are hugely overblown.This. ^

The flash can be completely neutralized by careful ammo selection (most premium defensive loads flash very little, if any). Training can minimize the remote possibility of injury problems caused by the ports, just as knowledgeable defensive revolver shooters have dealt with magnum barrel/cylinder gap blast effects for decades.

I own a G17C and G19C, and have carried both at various times.

sigchaser723
10-05-2010, 00:57
The difference is that a revovolver has flash comming from the cylinder gap while the c models have it comming from the top of your weapon along the same plane as your sights. Under low light this could potentially deminish your night vision and lead to a problem aquiring a proper sights picture after the first round. I don't want to carry a c model for that reason and one other which is I don't see the point esspecially with a 9mm it just seems pointless but if it works for you then go for it.

old wanderer
10-05-2010, 02:40
I heard nothing but doom and gloom about tanking my 20c to Front Sight for a 4 day class that included night shooting.

Other than a few students that tried to go through the class with foam ear plugs and got next to me, the gun ran through almost 700 rounds without a hicup, and was really fast on follow up double taps. My next in line students with the foam plugs complained about the noise. but they could move away.

I could see the little fire jets coming up an inch or so during the night shoot, but running the AcroAir Ghost Ring tritium sights, I had no problem picking up my front sight for a 2 or 3 shot.

Don;'t have a 9mm so cannot comment on shooting the compensated model, but have shot a lot of 10mm and 40Sw in the compensated barrel and especially with the 10mm my 2nd shot is less than .3 seconds after the 1st with the compensator. With the non-compensated barrel it is over .5 seconds so almost twice as long.

JohnHoliday
10-05-2010, 02:57
The difference is that a revovolver has flash comming from the cylinder gap while the c models have it comming from the top of your weapon along the same plane as your sights. Under low light this could potentially deminish your night vision and lead to a problem aquiring a proper sights picture after the first round. I don't want to carry a c model for that reason and one other which is I don't see the point esspecially with a 9mm it just seems pointless but if it works for you then go for it.

another person that hasn't shot a C model before, just regurgitating info he/she heard on the internet.

I've shot a C model in the night, is it no worse then shooting a regular model.

99% of the people that talk bad about the C models on here have never shot one, so take what you hear for what its worth.

ede
10-05-2010, 03:21
no i wouldn't carry one. i don't like them. my worry would be more about dirt and debris getting in the openings than flash or noise.

Larry V
10-05-2010, 04:22
Theirs no need for a compensated model 19!

D.S.Brown
10-05-2010, 04:57
Yes! At some point I will own a G23C. I've shot them before in lowlight, and amazingly was not blinded the "flash." The only time I noticed it was when I was actively concentrating on looking for it, as opposed to focussing on my front sight.

I've shot 4" .357 magnum revolvers with quality ammo during daylight hours. The FIREBALL that emanated from the cylinder gap, and the front of the barrel was HUGE and quite noticeable! No I wasn't blinded then either, but I have to wonder what it may have been like in a lowlight scenario.

Best,

Dave

Jr.
10-05-2010, 05:14
I shot my ruger 2 1/4" .357mag and my 19c, both loaded with federal sd ammo. The .357 looked more like a flame thrower and the 19c looked like a BIC on crack. I feel very confident in using it for HD.

And as to Larry V, I dont need a 9mm "C" but my wife sure does and thats why the 19C exists because some people do need it.

Bill Lumberg
10-05-2010, 05:24
On the internet, compensated models are unsuitable for carry, or on the other end of the spectrum, police duty. In the real world, they are quite suitable for both.

I carry a G19c. I was browsing google and ran into some other forums. They didnt reccomend carrying the compensated model due to the flash of the muzzle and slide. I really don't feel it's a issue IMO. What do you guys think??

DannyR
10-05-2010, 05:29
I would not hesitate to carry a "C" model Glock.

Bruce M
10-05-2010, 05:38
My limited understanding is that firing a ported gun from a "hip - retention" type position might increase a possibility of stuff getting into one's eyes. I am curious if there are any people or departments who regularly fire from that position who do use a ported gun.

cubbyjg
10-05-2010, 05:58
if you are confident in your skills and can handle the extra muzzle flash, then I say go for it. carry what you are confident with. ive never shot one before so I can't comment on the muzzle flash, etc. all I say is practice, practice, practice.

Bill Lumberg
10-05-2010, 07:13
Zero issues from the hip, from CAR, or from retention in general.

Doc Holliday
10-05-2010, 07:13
Really, huh. I shot my G19c yesterday and didn't have any issues with bullet shavings, hot gases or gunpowder!!

Well, good for you.

I don't even want the CHANCE of that happening, if I have to use the gun in a SD situation.

As I said, I prefer everything go out the front, away from me and towards the bad guy.

adaman04
10-05-2010, 07:18
Have you ever shot from retention, having your pistol indexed at your rib cage? It’s not bad at arms length but who said you’ll be shooting the pistol at arms length?

I don’t care for the C models because I’ve found the open slide allows more lint, etc to get in to the gun than the standard models. I wouldn’t trade it because of this or anything, but just food for thought.

Cambo
10-05-2010, 08:07

Spoken by someone who doesn't understand the physics of porting/compensation and who has never fired one. Compensated models remove muzzle flip, sending recoil straight back into the hand, giving you a faster, more accurate second shot. They make compensators for .22 pistols. Why? Because EVERY caliber fired will generate muzzle flip to some degree.

TedG
10-05-2010, 08:53
Well, good for you.

I don't even want the CHANCE of that happening, if I have to use the gun in a SD situation.

As I said, I prefer everything go out the front, away from me and towards the bad guy.

:thumbsup:

JTMarlonINC
10-05-2010, 11:05
Spoken by someone who doesn't understand the physics of porting/compensation and who has never fired one. Compensated models remove muzzle flip, sending recoil straight back into the hand, giving you a faster, more accurate second shot. They make compensators for .22 pistols. Why? Because EVERY caliber fired will generate muzzle flip to some degree.
Spoken by someone who owns a compensated (standard size) 9mm....:rofl:

GunFighter45ACP
10-05-2010, 11:44
I'd have no issues carrying a compensated pistol; provided of course, that it's a reliable, & proven in my hands, quality pistol that I can accurately hit what I'm aiming at with.

To me though, the real question about compensated pistols is not whether or not a real or perceived muzzle flash would cause temporary blindness, is debris blasted up into my eyes/line of sight, etc., the real question to me is, why? If a "C" model is all you've got, or is the one you train the most with, or are the most accurate with, then I'd say sure, go ahead & carry it. But, if the reason why one wants to carry a "C" model is to throw more caliber down range, 'assuming' that a compensated .40 or .45 cal, etc. will recoil like a softer shooting caliber, then I'd say "no": Save your $ or leave the "C" model at home & carry the gun that you're more proficient with".

cowboy1964
10-05-2010, 11:47
If want to carry a C model try shooting it in blackness if you can. Then judge for yourself.

Darkangel1846
10-05-2010, 11:50

It's not an issue! The supposed flash blinding you at night has pretty much been disproved, but it still has life in the gun world. I suggest you do a shoot in low light to see how it works for you. It doesn't bother me at all.:wavey:

infiniti0505
10-05-2010, 12:01
Well, good for you.

I wear my sunglasses at night, so Im good :whistling:
http://www.quizlaw.com/blog/images/hartSunglasses.jpg

Folsom_Prison
10-05-2010, 12:13
While I don't currently own a G19C, when I did I compared it to a 38 special revolver in low lighting conditions. Guess what, the revolver had more flash coming from the barrel-cylinder gap than the flash coming from the G19's port. This is highly over-rated IMHO.

Thanks for sharing your comparison. I agree it's overated, I just thought it was kinda funny what some of the crazy stuff people were saying on other forums and wanted to see gt's take on it.

Folsom_Prison
10-05-2010, 12:17
It's not an issue! The supposed flash blinding you at night has pretty much been disproved, but it still has life in the gun world. I suggest you do a shoot in low light to see how it works for you. It doesn't bother me at all.:wavey:

Ok, good to hear. I really don't think it's a issue either. It's not like the c models are the only guns that might have a little flash in the dark IMO.

Larry V
10-05-2010, 12:29

Actually I have fired a compensated 19 6 times. Speaking for me and only me, a 19 is like a cap gun. I have no need for a compensated barrel.

Folsom_Prison
10-05-2010, 12:41
Actually I have fired a compensated 19 6 times. Speaking for me and only me, a 19 is like a cap gun. I have no need for a compensated barrel.

Two reasons I picked up the G19c. It's the only model of 19 my dealer had and he gave me a hell of a deal on trade for my 23. I have no issues with the muzzle flash.

Folsom_Prison
10-05-2010, 13:29
Well, good for you.

right on, to each his own.

Larry V
10-05-2010, 13:59
Two reasons I picked up the G19c. It's the only model of 19 my dealer had and he gave me a hell of a deal on trade for my 23. I have no issues with the muzzle flash.

I love the 23 , I have 2 of them , one is an RTF2.

rem2429
10-05-2010, 14:07
I'd buy a non-ported barrel for carry.
You won't notice the flash or noise if you need it, but if you are in a wierd position, like contact shooting, you may notice debris in the eyes. You will not likely practice shooting with the ports pointed towards your face, but the real world can get real ugly.

Sonnytoo
10-05-2010, 14:08
You've got a 4.02" barrel. Porting robs you of velocity. Loss of velocity robs you of "mushrooming" capability with HP's.
I guess, if I carried this, that I'd try to use "short barrel" ammo that utilizes faster-burning powder. I'm not a fan of porting but it has its advantages.

NonPCnraRN
10-05-2010, 14:33
I thought an aftermarket threaded barrel with a AR birdcage type flash suppressor attached would be novel. Probably a waste of money, but novel. I thought it would look cool on a G27.

Zertek
10-05-2010, 14:46
I don't think so

KillStick
10-05-2010, 15:11
I carry a 23C most of the time and have never had a problem with dirt or materials in the barrel. I have also never been blinded by a huge flash of light. What I have noticed is that the felt recoil is less to me and has helped me to get back on target. I have only positive things to say about the C models one of them being that they are just as reliable and have that special look to them that makes me love the gun.

Thx-1138
10-05-2010, 15:21
One of my two carry guns is a G39 with a Stock G38 barrel modified with muzzle ports.

Compensation doesn't bother me. Shooting at night, low light, etc...

The ports are forward-angled, so anything not 'going out the front' is actually going forward anyway.

Since I'm left-handed, when shooting from retention I angle the gun away from my body to eliminate the possibility of the ejector port fouling on my shirt; this happens to also eliminate any problem with exhaust gases from the ports, so shooting from retention with compensation is not an issue.

infiniti0505
10-05-2010, 15:51
You've got a 4.02" barrel. Porting robs you of velocity. Loss of velocity robs you of "mushrooming" capability with HP's.
I guess, if I carried this, that I'd try to use "short barrel" ammo that utilizes faster-burning powder. I'm not a fan of porting but it has its advantages.

Not by much, not enough to even worry about...
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16082982
G17:

Avg 1205 FPS

G17C:

Avg 1146 FPS

Folsom_Prison
10-05-2010, 15:55
I love the 23 , I have 2 of them , one is an RTF2.

My 23 was a rtf2, I really didn't like the texture. That's one of the reasons I traded it.

Folsom_Prison
10-05-2010, 17:09
Infiniti, thanks for posting that!!

Larry V
10-05-2010, 17:09
My 23 was a rtf2, I really didn't like the texture. That's one of the reasons I traded it.

Iliked it so much I got a 22 RTF and A 21SF RTF2. The 21 is sweet.

MJB
10-05-2010, 17:12
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Folsom_Prison
10-05-2010, 17:14
Iliked it so much I got a 22 RTF and A 21SF RTF2. The 21 is sweet.

The only thing I didn't like was I had wear a undershirt. If I didn't it would rub me raw. It wasn't something I thought about when I bought it.

wptemple
10-05-2010, 17:31
Can anyone actually refer to a case of a comped Glock putting "debris" into somone's eyes? Unless you align the sights by puttin the bottom of the slide under your chin I would not worry about this. You have a better chance of being hit in the eye by an ejected case out of any autoloader.

If this train of thought continues please make sure that no one is recommended a revolver. A revolver passes more crap than a ported glock with quality ammo. Run jacketed ammo with quality powder (any factory sd ammo) and you will be fine.

I have shot hundreds of rounds from a low hip position out of a 23C and the only difference is that the sound is louder. Slightly twisting the body and holding the pistol sideways with the slide away from your duty belt, jacket and obstructions is being taught by many which then also directs the noise / blast away from you. This was NOT taught due to the comp but to keep the slide from being snagged and causing a failure.

uc1twinbee
10-05-2010, 17:39
No, I would not!

SCC
10-05-2010, 17:49
I would carry a "C" model Glock .

mattyd123
10-05-2010, 18:01
Would I carry one? Yes...As soon as I get around to ordering a 23c I will....Yeah and I know those of us who shoot 9mm aren't men and there's no need to compensate a 9mm etc...But why wouldn't you want whatever caliber you choose to have less recoil? Is it necessary, no....Does it still make a difference...yes...less recoil=value added in my book...just like stippling, weapon mounted lights, and lasers...

I love hearing the stories about the flash slowing down follow up shots and blinding you and this and that...Even when you shoot a non comped pistol at night theres already plenty of muzzle flash if it were to distract you...

69HEMI-R/T
10-05-2010, 19:45
I regularly carry a g32c and it is my favorite carry pistol. Bear in mind I have a few and that includes 12 Glocks. The "c" part is the least of my worries and will continue to be for my G32c .

I do not carry my G31cc but only because it is a little big. Yes, it really is a "CC": model from the factory. The double "C" stands for "Compensated Competition" and has adjustable sights and a true 3 1/2lb trigger installed from the factory. Again, the C part of the pistol is no problem whatsoever.

If you like it, carry it without worrying. The "C" models are outstanding.

tchick
10-05-2010, 20:09

^^^^ This ^^^^

With the trigger reset a Glock can already get a quick second shot off.

cciman
10-05-2010, 20:14
No No No

Infallible
10-05-2010, 20:40

Have you shot one? While "need" may a subjective and all encompassing term, the "C" model Glocks in 9mm are an absolute baby to shoot. My G19C is my favorite shooter.

sigchaser723
10-05-2010, 21:34
another person that hasn't shot a C model before, just regurgitating info he/she heard on the internet.

I've shot a C model in the night, is it no worse then shooting a regular model.

99% of the people that talk bad about the C models on here have never shot one, so take what you hear for what its worth.
Let me give you a momment to remove your foot from your mouth. Nowhere in my post do I say I have never shot a c model in fact I have shot a couple most notably the 23c which I tried in a low light senario the weapon belonged to a friend who was kind enough to allow me to try it since I was thinking about buying one. The senario was at an indoor range with most of the lights off to simulate a night shoot not ideal but not horrible since its all we had. I fired 165gr gold dots and frankly to me the sights were harder to aquire after the flash from the port but once again that's me I told the op if it worked for him then to go for it. Additionally I have fired several other ported guns both semi and revolvers and while they would work well in a comp I just didn't like the idea of carrying them. Frankly you seem to be in the catagory of people who feel they become psycic when their fingers touch the keyboard

sigchaser723
10-05-2010, 21:40
Let me give you a momment to remove your foot from your mouth. Nowhere in my post do I say I have never shot a c model in fact I have shot a couple most notably the 23c which I tried in a low light senario the weapon belonged to a friend who was kind enough to allow me to try it since I was thinking about buying one. The senario was at an indoor range with most of the lights off to simulate a night shoot not ideal but not horrible since its all we had. I fired 165gr gold dots and frankly to me the sights were harder to aquire after the flash from the port but once again that's me I told the op if it worked for him then to go for it. Additionally I have fired several other ported guns both semi and revolvers and while they would work well in a comp I just didn't like the idea of carrying them. Frankly you seem to be in the catagory of people who feel they become psycic when their fingers touch the keyboard
If that came across as abrasive then I apologize but frankly I for one am sick of people who don't know me making judgment calls over a forum. If you don't agree with something I say that's cool to each their own just because something works for me doesn't mean it will for you and the same holds truebthe other way too. If you want to question somthin I post go ahead I am not the type to get pisses about that just man up and ask instead of being childish and assuming you know all. Rant complete thankyou for your time :)

shotgunred
10-05-2010, 21:48
I don't understand why someone would need a C model in 9mm.

You should carry what ever you practice with.

DJ Niner
10-06-2010, 00:35
I don't understand why someone would need a C model in 9mm.

...Like a lot of gun-related things, it's not always about need. And along the same lines, many (or most?) shooters simply cannot make use of the small but significant advantage a ported/compensated weapon provides.

Larry V
10-06-2010, 04:45
Have you shot one? While "need" may a subjective and all encompassing term, the "C" model Glocks in 9mm are an absolute baby to shoot. My G19C is my favorite shooter.

SACharlie
10-06-2010, 04:55
You will find that most people who dont like C models have never owned one.

I have 22 C and carrying for a long time , Shot at night and day no problem.
No problem with things flying out the front either