Moving to LV, Nevada... your input appreciated. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to LV, Nevada... your input appreciated.

Trigariumrex
01-13-2011, 10:29
Hello Glocktalk braintrust, it has been quite some time since I last posted. The wife and I are seriously considering moving to the Silver State and we were hoping that we can get some feedback from Nevada residents.

Quick background on us:
In May of 2010 my wife and I had our first baby boy. Both of us were also born and raised in Los Angeles, CA. For the past couple of decades, I like to think I fought the good fight... I am a gun-toting, conservative minded, law abiding-pay my taxes citizen. However, with the birth of my son opening my eyes, I no longer care to deal with the political and economical problems in Kali. I just want to provide my family with the best quality of life possible.

Why we're considering the move to LV.
A few years ago the parental units retired in Summerlin, Nevada. If the wife and I go forward with the move we would live in the Summerlin region. In summary the main reasons we would move and can move:

Since I work from home and the wife is in one of the most sought after professions (Speech Language Pathologist) finding work is not a problem.
Taxes - right now we're paying almost 10% in sales tax and income tax is taking way too much from us. Just recently the new Kali governor is already aiming to increase taxes across the board, cut education further, and increase fees for things like DMV, utilities, etc.
In Summerlin we would finally be able to afford a house and a dream home at that.
The grandparents. They're in their golden years and we'd love for them to enjoy their grand-kiddo. Not to mention they would be helping me and the wife.
Even though we'll miss our friends and family we know that it's just a short drive away and we know they'll visit as everyone goes to LV.
Oh how I've longed to have some of my gun rights back!

Some concerns I'm having, hoping someone here can provide me with answers:

We know that LV is the foreclosure capital of the US. However, it actually helps the wife and I get into the home we want. With that being said, do you think LV will ever truly recover?
We also know that LV is hurting economically (just like every other state) but is it as bad as the local news and idiots here in Kali make it out to be?
If you raising a child and living in LV how has your experience been?
Lastly, is there anything else we should be aware of (ie. political issues, other economical issues, etc).

Thanks for taking the time to read... and a thank you very much for any helpful feedback.

hagar
01-13-2011, 13:28
Sounds like you have a good reason to go, have stable income prospects and can buy into the housing market cheap, so go for it!:cool:

Yes, the housing market WILL recover, but my guess is another 3-5 years. Good time to be buying now.

I'd love to go back to AZ, lived there 14 years, but #2 above is missing from the equation..:crying: Even if offered a job there, I would not trust an AZ company with a 10 foot pole, if I retire there it will be on my own money.

Trigariumrex
01-14-2011, 13:57
Sounds like you have a good reason to go, have stable income prospects and can buy into the housing market cheap, so go for it!:cool:

Yes, the housing market WILL recover, but my guess is another 3-5 years. Good time to be buying now.

I'd love to go back to AZ, lived there 14 years, but #2 above is missing from the equation..:crying: Even if offered a job there, I would not trust an AZ company with a 10 foot pole, if I retire there it will be on my own money.

Thanks for the reply hagar. We're definitely ready to relocate. Unfortunately, my wife's family is fighting us tooth and nail about moving. In the end, we feel this is the best move for us.

I really do hope that the housing market will eventually recover. For now, I don't mind it being on the downside as it allots me and my wife the ability to buy a house on the cheap. The Los Angeles housing market is completely ridiculous. Some people are just not willing to accept that the home they bought is worth less than what they paid for during the boom. It's been guesstimated that house prices here in LA need to come down another 10-20% before the market can recover.

Goldendog Redux
01-14-2011, 14:56
It is like a four hour drive from LA to LV (I saw the Hangover) so family can easily visit.

Make the move, knowing that you are moving into a blast furnace in the summer with better gun laws that LA.

I guessing if you have the cash you can go ape crap buying a place down there right now. LA is a great city but you probably wont miss it.

I live in Northern Nevada and don't make it to Vegas much.

Good luck,

MF

Quiet
01-15-2011, 10:15
The housing market will recover, but won't get as crazy as it was before. Now is a good time to buy. You could get a 4 bedroom 3 bath house that was built 2-3 years ago that sold for $400,000 for around $200,000.

Summerlin is one of the better parts of Clark County.

It's hot during the summer and cold during the winter. It's a desert after all.

Cost of living is about the same as in SoCal.

If I could find gainfull employment that pays the same or better than what I'm currently at, I would relocate there as well.

Join the forums at nevadashooters.com

If you do move to Vegas, get involved with the gun issues. Too many antis from CA/NJ/NY/MA have relocated to Clark County and are trying to change it to be like where there from. Also, need to vote in the right Clark County Sheriff in order to get rid of the Clark County handgun registration program.

After establishing residency in Clark County or after living in Clark County for more than 60 days, you have 72 hours to register all your handguns with the LVMPD. Goto any LVMPD substation to register your handguns, cost is free and takes less than 15 mins.

osiruscyn
01-15-2011, 14:21
Summerlin is a decent area, but then again with all the foreclosures, people are buying homes and then renting them out so you get some summy people n summerlin that you normally wouldn't have there.

Crime rates suck. Crime all over no matter where you live.

The economy does suck. Prices on a lot of things are going up. Not mush i the way of jobs.

We have no state tax, registration at the DMV here sucks because it's wicked high. Most things are open late, if not all night so that's convenient when you have kids that are sick.

Theres sme things to do with kids like gymboree, child's play. Summerlin has a lot of parks and play grounds for kids. Organized sports leagues are abundant. Town Square has a place for kids to play.

The schools in Vegas aren't real great, if good at all.

I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old, i'm probably going to try and send them to a private school.

There's a private outdoor shooting range at the end of Charleston, real close to summerlin. $150 a year to join. There's the public outdoor range the county runs at the north end of decatur. There's also an outdoor range in boulder city. Some of the gun stores in town have ranges as well.

New Frontier Armory and Kelly's Gun Vault is probably the only good gun stores in town. New Frontier has better prices but is way out on 5th and Centennial.