What do you think I should do? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you think I should do?

gnasty1521
01-13-2011, 16:53
My receiver has developed a crack down beside the magazine tube. It doesn't seem to be in a load bearing spot, or that there is any large pressure there. I would love to make a 12.5" barrel NFA registered SBS out of it because I love the action so much, but I have a few questions. Pics here:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t192/NcGangsta/SAM_0089.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t192/NcGangsta/SAM_0094.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t192/NcGangsta/SAM_0090.jpg

1. I have shot this quite a bit since the crack was there (I thought it was a scratch), and it seems to be fine. Should I absolutely replace the receiver?

2. If the answer to number one is yes, where would I get one?

3. How in the hell do I get it to an FFL dealer from a website if Gunbroker or something is the answer to number 2.

All help is appreciated guys! Thanks in advance.

Bullman
01-13-2011, 16:57
Is it the maverick or the winchester from your sig line.

gnasty1521
01-13-2011, 17:05
The Winchester... Sorry for the mix up.

Bullman
01-13-2011, 17:09
I am not really familiar with Winchesters. Maybe someone else will have some better info for ya.

gnasty1521
01-13-2011, 17:12
...Or a receiver huh? Thanks for the reply.

Bullman
01-13-2011, 17:46
Well, I don't know if the winchesters are steel or aluminum receivers. I don't know if the bolt and barrel are the direct lockup on Winchester shotguns or if the receiver takes some of the brunt of the firing process. What I do know is if you end up getting a replacement receiver, which is hard to do with some guns since it is the serial numbered "firearm" part of a firearm, you are going to be making a serious investment. Don't know if you could weld up that crack or not.

vafish
01-13-2011, 18:38
Well, I don't know if the winchesters are steel or aluminum receivers. I don't know if the bolt and barrel are the direct lockup on Winchester shotguns or if the receiver takes some of the brunt of the firing process. What I do know is if you end up getting a replacement receiver, which is hard to do with some guns since it is the serial numbered "firearm" part of a firearm, you are going to be making a serious investment. Don't know if you could weld up that crack or not.

Winchesters have an aluminum receiver, they also have a rotating bolt like an AR15, which locks up solidly to the barrel.

I would not spend the money to SBR a cracked receiver.

I'd contact Winchester and see what they say. I don't believe they are making the 1300 anymore, but FN is selling a similar model.

gnasty1521
01-13-2011, 18:52
Winchesters have an aluminum receiver, they also have a rotating bolt like an AR15, which locks up solidly to the barrel.

I would not spend the money to SBR a cracked receiver.

I'd contact Winchester and see what they say. I don't believe they are making the 1300 anymore, but FN is selling a similar model.

That sounds pricey "FN" shotgun receiver.

OK new question... I have found a few for $50. How do I have it sent out so I can have it? Never done internet sales...

gnasty1521
01-13-2011, 19:32
Pictures added if it helps... This is sounding like a lost cause. I may have a line on another 1300, or maybe even an 870 to make my SBS from. Thanks for the help guys.

WayaX
01-13-2011, 21:26
That sounds pricey "FN" shotgun receiver.

OK new question... I have found a few for $50. How do I have it sent out so I can have it? Never done internet sales...

The receiver is the actual firearm by ATF standards. Therefore you have to arrange the seller to ship it to an FFL near you, who will then charge you a fee and you'll buy it from them just like you would any other firearm.

FN makes the Winchester 1300 as it's Tactical Police Shotgun (TPS). It's a nice gun, and isn't priced like a SCAR. They run between 600-700 dollars new. FN owns Winchester and Browning now, just for your information.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-14-2011, 05:48
Duct tape man....

On a serious note, even if the bolt and carrier took 100% of the force, I probably wouldn't be doing too much shooting with that. I'd call Winchester and see if they'll do anything for you. Seems like a manufacturer defect if you ask me....

PlasticGuy
01-14-2011, 08:42
No way would I SBR a shotgun with a cracked receiver. Also, no way would I SBR a shotgun that is not military issue. I would want a Class 3 shotgun to be durable, and hard military use is the only way to truly establish that.

I would switch to a Mossberg 590 or a Remington 870 in pumps, or a Benelli semi-auto. They are the most issued and proven combat shotguns in the world now, and would be the best basis for an SBR conversion.

gnasty1521
01-14-2011, 08:59
Yeah I am going shopping today for an 870. Plus they make great looking 4 + 1 12 inch barreled guns.