New glock owner. Ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New glock owner. Ammo?

Big.40
01-13-2011, 21:57
I am a new handgun/Glock owner. This is probably a dumb question but I am unsure seeing how I am such a newbie. I read you can't shoot lead rounds out of a Glock. I have a Glock 23. Are Lead tipped rounds only reloads? I went to Walmart to buy some cheap ammo and all they had was Remington UMC .40 S&W 180 GR. JHP, they were cheap $34 for 100 rounds so I bought them. Can these be shot out of the Glock?? There is lead exposed in the hollow point and will that interfere with the barrel??? Or do all hollow points have exposed lead centers?

JR
01-14-2011, 14:14
Don’t shoot lead bullets out of your Glock barrel. The factory rifling is not conducive to use with lead bullets.
You can not conclude the ammunition is reloaded or factory by looking at the bullet (tip).
Big box stores do not sell reloads. You can bet their ammo is factory new.
UMC ammunition is factory new. If it has a plated or jacketed bullet (tip) it is safe to use in your Glock.
Premium hollow point bullets are jacketed, hence the designation JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point). This is most likely the ammo you are describing because you can see the jacket and see the lead core. They are safe to use in your Glock factory barrel.

You are confused as to what constitutes a lead bullet. First you need to understand the basic bullet categories: Solid, Jacketed, Plated or Lead.
For the sake of argument, the following (basic) description will apply:
1 Solid bullets are the same material inside and out therefore referred to as "solid". They are safe to use in your Glock factory barrel.
2 Jacketed bullets start out as a cup. The cup is then filled with lead and then the jacket and lead are sweged together. They are safe to use in your Glock factory barrel.
3 Plated bullets start out as solid lead and then have a coating applied over the entire surface of the bullet. They are safe to use in your Glock factory barrel.
4 Lead bullets are solid lead inside & out. They are easily identified when compared to the other type bullets. They are NOT safe to use in your Glock factory barrel.