fouling with a short gas system. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : fouling with a short gas system.

just a shooter
01-14-2011, 10:23
I am planning a fun project and I have a question.

I am building a 11.5 inch barrel AR15 5.56 with a pistol length gas system, adjustable gas block, and a suppressor. the suppressor is an older Ceiner that sleeves the barrel 5" from the muzzle, so that's why the pistol length gas system.

my question is, will the gun experience increased gas fouling or unburnt powder in the gas tube due to the short gas tube and the added back pressure of the suppressor relative to the short barrel?

is there a potential reliability issue beyond the other factors of mechanics?

and if it looks like I might, what would be a recommended powder or loaded ammunition that would help mitigate the fouling?

Thanks.

MisterPX
01-14-2011, 12:33
WHen you add a can, you will increase the amount of crap that getssent back into your receiver, that's a given.

Your gas tube gets "cleaned" by 50K PSI of hot gas everytime you fire, and will not show increased fouling.

crazymoose
01-14-2011, 14:30
All things equal, the gas setup you describe will put greater wear and tear on the parts, will operate less reliably, and will foul more. The suppressor will create even more back pressure and fouling. However, all things are not equal. The adjustable gas block should mitigate these effects quite a bit. How much, I don't know.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">