New BCM rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New BCM rifle

jedi573
01-14-2011, 11:22
Hey all,

Got a new rifle for work. Shopped around a while before deciding on Bravo Company. I went with their "EAG" carbine, which is a sort of tribute to Pat Rogers' idea of a good fighting gun.

Not pictured is an Aimpoint ML3 (2 MOA dot) that I haven't mounted yet; ditto with the sling.

I haven't taken it out yet. Ordered it last week and got it today.

More thoughts to follow once I have more time to sit down and write it out properly. But in a nutshell, fit and finish is excellent. Trigger is single-stage and not bad without being broken in. Magpul stock, Tangodown grip and stubby foregrip (which I use as a "hand stop" by bracing my hand in front of it), Surefire light, Troy rear BUIS. Midlength gas system, 14.5" barrel with permanent muzzle brake.

For those not familiar with this model, here's a link to the product page:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-A4-AR15-Bravo-Company-carbine-EAG-Pat-Rogers-s/151.htm

It's fairly light and pretty agile. Balances well. My first AR-15.

And here's a quick happy snap. Yes, I put it on the counter and then stood on a chair to get a shot.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3737/bcmcarbine01halfsize.jpg

Andy like.

Let me know what you guys think!

Andy

Note to mods - this is also in Cop Talk. If that's a no-no, feel free to delete this one. Thanks. :)

TexanOutWest
01-14-2011, 11:37
Flawless!

Tex

mjkeat
01-14-2011, 12:04
Awesome! Its nice to see guys buying quality. Beautiful rifle man.

jobob
01-14-2011, 12:27
You purchased well, Grasshopper!

TedG
01-14-2011, 13:46
EXCELLENT CHOICE!

Good luck, and keep your head down.

deputy tom
01-14-2011, 14:00
Nice set up.tom.:supergrin:

trlcavscout
01-14-2011, 15:43
Very nice!

mikekjg
01-14-2011, 16:04
Very nice, indeed. The BCM 14.5" middy is a work of art.

NeverMore1701
01-14-2011, 17:24
Great choice, great gun!

Mr. Gekko
01-14-2011, 19:17
Looks great. Congrats!

Dobie
01-14-2011, 19:45
First AR - you have chosen wisely :cheers:

trifecta
01-14-2011, 19:54
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjlt6-Mp82F60x6dZ2Y4IzWFbUck1z2d0zVaLsXoSvhjD08fXm

You have chosen wisely.

Aries4570
01-14-2011, 20:24
Thank you for posting a pic. That is the first Black EAG rifle I have seen, which is the model I am interested in. Beautiful!

pleaforwar
01-14-2011, 21:34
Great rifle. Now go out and shoot the hell out of it (i.e. the gift cert is sold with them for a reason).

Good pick on the Aimpoint, I have one also and love it.

After running it through a few thousand rounds give us an update on how it works for ya!

RMTactical
01-14-2011, 22:40
I like it.

steve1911
01-14-2011, 23:15
Nice!

1911club#410

jedi573
03-28-2011, 07:41
I have three days of rifle training this week, looking forward to it. The gun came with a two-point sling, but I'm putting a one-point on it for now to see how I like it. The sling point forward of the receiver is at the rear of the rail rather than the front, so it would be pretty tight across the lower for a two-point.

I expect to shoot a few thousand rounds through it if I can. Trial by fire, as they say.

I'll snap some more photos for before, during, and after to keep you guys up on how it performs.

:)

Andy

Glockdude1
03-28-2011, 08:03
Nice rifle.

:thumbsup:

ancient_serpent
03-28-2011, 08:18
I'm so jealous, that's the rifle I want next. Nice buy!

Javelin
03-28-2011, 08:23
Very nice!

:thumbsup:

Captains1911
03-28-2011, 08:51
With all the crap floating around in the forums lately, it's refreshing to see somebody who did their homework and listened to people who actually know WTF they are talking about. Nice job and conrats :thumbsup:

2glock40s
03-28-2011, 13:19
Excellent choice! I just got my BCM about two weeks ago or so. Haven't got sights yet or an optic. Still trying to decide if I want a fixed rear or flip up rear. I've heard with a non-magnified optic its best to go with fixed but I'm not sure if I will be able to get used to looking through the rear sight, then optic then front sight. Seems kinds busy to me. Anyway, great looking gun! Congrats.

glockster99
03-28-2011, 13:23
Cool Rifle and good choice........

Goodspeed(TPF)
03-28-2011, 13:36
How much? :dunno:

jamaicanj
03-28-2011, 14:31
Looks good. Congrats!

furioso2112
03-28-2011, 14:35
if your experience is like the vast majority of other BCM users here, including me, you will be very satisfied.

Just don't dump that coffee on it - it might go full-auto HA!

UniversalBrow06
03-28-2011, 15:05
I don't understand, why didn't you just get a Bushmaster?

JUST KIDDING!

Such a nice setup you have there.

pag23
03-28-2011, 17:21
Very nice.....hope you enjoy!

micdude
03-28-2011, 19:32
:iloveyou: BCM

stopatrain
03-28-2011, 19:38
Very nice!

dc2integra
03-28-2011, 19:42
Nice AR.congrats

Brianharless13
03-28-2011, 19:57
Cool rifle.

jedi573
04-01-2011, 14:38
Training went well. Threw about sixteen hundred (1600) rounds in two-and-a-half days.

Two malfunctions, one shooter-induced and one due to ammunition. The first was a hand near the ejection port that bounced the shell right back inside; a quick clearance and back in action. (After a "Watch that hand!" note to self.)

The second was a bit more complicated; the gun was running a little dry, and part of a casing ripped off inside the gun. A piece of brass got stuck under the extractor and caused the next cartridge to get struck halfway. Had to bang the stock against the concrete before I could get the charging handle racked to remove it. Re-lubed and back at it.

I did only minimal cleaning and lubrication during the three days.

I made a few changes to the gun from its original configuration. I dumped the stubby foregrip, and also lost the Surefire light on the offset angle mount. I instead put a Streamlight TLR-1s I had in the box on the bottom rail. I also am running a single-point sling now instead of the two-point VTAC that came with it. I'm using the stock a bit shorter too, as going prone with the body armor became a little awkward with it out as far as I had it originally.

Overall I like it a lot. Ten out of ten (10/10) center mass hits at 225 yards, using the Aimpoint with 2 MOA dot.

Great gun. Highly recommended.

Pictures to follow.

:)

Andy

pleaforwar
04-01-2011, 16:28
Andy,
What course did you take? Was it the EAG course in Casa Grande?

jedi573
04-01-2011, 19:04
Dan,

The course was some in-service training put on by my agency.

Andy

jedi573
04-10-2011, 06:13
Here's the rifle as it is now. I took off the V-TAC offset light mount with its Surefight light, and also got rid of the stubby foregrip. I put a Streamlight TLR-1S on the bottom rail instead.

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/8501/bravoeagcarbine.jpg

No pictures of the "during," as it wasn't allowed during the course. I'm doing some more range work with it this week, and hope to shoot another five hundred rounds or so through it. This should bring it to above two thousand, which isn't a bad start. :)

The Aimpoint works very well. It's my first time shooting with one, and I like it a lot. Very intuitive—literally "point and shoot." The 2 MOA dot is just about the right size for the distances I'm working in.

I found myself going closer with the stock than I expected, as the body armor makes moving it around a little more difficult with it extended.

Andy

EL COLONEL
04-10-2011, 08:54
What didn't you like about the offset light or the stubby grip ?

stopatrain
04-10-2011, 09:03
Nice!

ArmoryDoc
04-10-2011, 09:10
Great rifle and an excellent way to break it in !

jedi573
04-10-2011, 09:10
What didn't you like about the offset light or the stubby grip ?

When I first got it, before I shot it, I mounted the gun by having my left hand forward of the foregrip (using it as a hand stop) and activating the light with my left thumb.

In practice, however, the body armor and extra layers made me pull the stock in closer, and made that long reach past the foregrip more difficult. On top of that, although the offset light mount was great for shooting on the right side (that is, left hand on the forearm), it was impossible for me to reach when shooting on the left side.

In this rifle training, half of our shots were from each side. As one of the qualifications was a night fire—plus the fact that I work at night—the ambidextrous light became a necessity.

So I ditched the right-hand-only offset light mount and put the Streamlight handgun light underneath. To get a consistent grasp, I've been putting my forward hand to the rear of that light, which meant that far-forward foregrip didn't do much good out there.

I might put it back on closer to the magazine well on the bottom rail; I haven't decided yet. But for now it's bare. I have more rifle training this week, so I'll play around a little with the setup and see what works well; I'll let you guys now. :)

Andy

boomhower
04-10-2011, 09:14
How much? :dunno:

$2k according to the website.

pleaforwar
04-10-2011, 10:49
Jedi,

1) Have you ever considered running a 2 pt sling?

2) Where is your support hand placement? Directly behind the light or are you using a magwell grip?

jedi573
04-10-2011, 18:00
pleaforwar,

I have; the gun came with a padded V-TAC two-point sling. I also have a MI rail-attach sling point I am going to put on the left side near the front. I will try the two-point sling in this next training series to see how it works for me. :)

I've been gripping it just behind the light, but I'm still getting used to the weapon—and the platform—so I'm trying different things, and am open-minded.

Andy

jedi573
04-12-2011, 18:21
Had some more training with it; fired another six hundred rounds, bringing the total to twenty-two hundred (2200).

No malfunctions. The gun is a little front-heavy but balances well, and its center of balance keeps the front sight (well, the dot on the Aimpoint) smoothy in the fire arc.

The gun is quite accurate; from the fifty to one hundred yard range, quite a few of the strings were making big, ragged holes.

I ended up not trying the vertical foregrip closer to the magazine well; I left it off. As far as trying a two-point sling, I forgot to bring the rail-mounted sling attachment, so I continued with the single-point sling.

Overall, it's a very nice gun. As far as the options go, if I could have done it over, I would have found a way to order the same weapon but without the vertical foregrip, two-point sling, and offset light mount with the light included. As these are back in the "box of random gear" I would have had a considerable savings if I hadn't gotten them to begin with.

The EAG rifle is a package deal, as I understand it; I can't say whether or not they would leave a few of the add-ons at the shop and ship without them for a reduced price.

Anyway. You get what you pay for; I'd recommend the Bravo Company EAG carbine to a friend. :)

Andy

WayaX
04-12-2011, 19:41
Your current light position will cause a barrel shadow over the face of your target, which sucks for identification. Moving it back will make it worse. My recommendation is off-set with a good rail mounted (not taped) switch.

Nice rifle by the way.

up1911fan
04-12-2011, 19:56
Great choice, BCM makes top notch gear!

jedi573
04-12-2011, 21:22
Your current light position will cause a barrel shadow over the face of your target, which sucks for identification. Moving it back will make it worse. My recommendation is off-set with a good rail mounted (not taped) switch.

Nice rifle by the way.

Thanks for the recommendation. We did a significant amount of night fire drills during the last qualification. Although there is some shadowing, the throw on the light made it a non-issue past two yards or so.

At the seven yard line, the targets were very well illuminated. The light was usable out to a hundred yards, although it wasn't very ideal, obviously!

The TLR-1S has a decent spot, and puts out one hundred sixty (160) lumens. A lot of bang for the buck, in my opinion.

An offset light with switch might be something I'll try down the line if it seems necessary. I'll see if I can set up some examples of target illumination with this setup for you.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Andy

pleaforwar
04-13-2011, 09:31
Andy,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

1) Re: 2pt Sling
If I were you I would pick up a couple QD attachments for the 2pt. It skips the time required to setup/remove the burnsed loop. I used to run single points myself, but with a 12.5"+ rifle it is not a comfortable option and doesn't offer an real tangible advantage, esp. with an adjustable sling like the one you got in the package.

2) RE: Flashlight
I have used the TLR and G2 setup, but always on one side of the rail, never on the bottom. For example, I have my TLR1 on the ejection port side of the rail, as you can see here:
http://pleaforwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/cttd.jpg

And this is my setup with the G2:
http://pleaforwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/paint1.jpg

I can reach the G2 with my left thumb, and the TLR1 with my left middle-finger. Both are not difficult to operate.

So, it begs the question, have you put some serious time into trying other setups, or did you find a quick solution to something that may have not been a problem? I'm not questioning you, I just think there are many more efficient ways to utilize the light. YMMV.

Grip Stipple
04-13-2011, 11:29
Excellent choice! I just got my BCM about two weeks ago or so. Haven't got sights yet or an optic. Still trying to decide if I want a fixed rear or flip up rear. I've heard with a non-magnified optic its best to go with fixed but I'm not sure if I will be able to get used to looking through the rear sight, then optic then front sight. Seems kinds busy to me. Anyway, great looking gun! Congrats.

I suggest a Daniel Defense A1.5. That is what I use behind my Eotech XPS 2-0. It also works well with an Aimpoint.

Grip Stipple
04-13-2011, 11:40
Here's the rifle as it is now. I took off the V-TAC offset light mount with its Surefight light, and also got rid of the stubby foregrip. I put a Streamlight TLR-1S on the bottom rail instead.

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/8501/bravoeagcarbine.jpg

No pictures of the "during," as it wasn't allowed during the course. I'm doing some more range work with it this week, and hope to shoot another five hundred rounds or so through it. This should bring it to above two thousand, which isn't a bad start. :)

The Aimpoint works very well. It's my first time shooting with one, and I like it a lot. Very intuitive—literally "point and shoot." The 2 MOA dot is just about the right size for the distances I'm working in.

I found myself going closer with the stock than I expected, as the body armor makes moving it around a little more difficult with it extended.

Andy

It's your rifle, but I would put it back to the original configuration. I think you will grow to like the set up with a little more practice. The only thing I would probably change with the light is moving it up to the FSB, and than putting the MI front sling mount where the light was located.

pat701
04-14-2011, 05:35
Price please

boomhower
04-14-2011, 06:32
Price please

The gun is $2k.