Primary Arms Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms Question

txleapd
01-14-2011, 18:15
I've heard a lot of good about the Primary Arms Micro Dot. Does anyone have some 411 on their Ultimate Weapon light (http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=40&categoryId=118), and Drop in Carbine Rail (http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=204&categoryId=101)?

ghostman1960
01-15-2011, 03:51
I do not know anything about the weapons light but I believe the rails are made by UTG.

RyanNREMTP
01-15-2011, 10:29
I'm kinda interested in the light now. Only drawback I can see is the battery type.

If the rails are UTG, then that is what I have on my Colt. They have been rock solid and I can say have done very well. They may not be the lightest but for my first quad rail I think I did good.

surf
01-15-2011, 10:40
Not for a duty type rifle. Low quality parts.

alexanderg23
01-15-2011, 10:45
They have awesome customer service. I had one of their aimpoint clones and one day it just went dead, I called them they sent a new one out that day and when I got it I just put the old one back in the new box and sent it back with a ups postage that was pre paid. It was everything I can ask from a $90 red dot. Held a zero and would buy one again. But obviously not same thing as a actual aimpoint.

txleapd
01-15-2011, 11:23
Not for a duty type rifle. Low quality parts.

Is all of PA's stuff low quality, or just the light and rail? If the rails are UTG, I'm not opposed to them. The rails on my duty rifle are UTG. I've had them for 3 years and they are solid. They are heavy, and I am looking to get some that are lighter, but I wouldn't call them "low quality". They are definitely inexpensive and quite capable of holding a VFG and a light.<br><br><font size=1>

DaleGribble
01-15-2011, 11:27
I have the PA Ultimate Weapon Light.

The light is bright and run time is good. The tape switch is good but the mount is crap, lots of play when mounted on my KAC rails.

surf
01-15-2011, 13:14
Is all of PA's stuff low quality, or just the light and rail? If the rails are UTG, I'm not opposed to them. The rails on my duty rifle are UTG. I've had them for 3 years and they are solid. They are heavy, and I am looking to get some that are lighter, but I wouldn't call them "low quality". They are definitely inexpensive and quite capable of holding a VFG and a light.

I would not say that about PA and all of their product. Some of their products are top of the line. I am not taking any jabs at PA, but no doubt some of their products are not of the higher quality. They would probably be the first to tell someone this. They offer a range of product to meet the needs of serious hard use duty or deployment applications to your average paper puncher. Nothing wrong with that.

I will also say that just because a particular product line is made with lower quality parts and lower build and quality control standards does not mean that every single light will go **** up on you the first chance it gets. It does however mean that you do stand a greater chance of potential failure or shorter lifespan than a product than uses higher quality components, better build standards and better quality control and testing. This is very much the case when it comes to electronics and their components such as lights and powered optics. I am also sure that the PA rep here would probably not argue that point, but would stress that they attempt to chose the best quality components and manufacturer that they can chose to offer an economical choice to the consumer. I have gone through a ton of cheap lights that all seem to come from the same two or three overseas manufacturers stamped with different company names and I am not a fan of going cheap on electronic based items for duty uses.

As for rails, well they can be light, heavy, bulky, rails in or out of spec, securely attached, quality materials or not. Again this does not mean if someone uses a UTG rail on a duty weapon that it is automatically going to fall off either. There are better and worse ways that a forerail attaches. Non-free float is less of an issue. Free floats are more of a concern. But weight, bulk and rails spec tend to be the issue for many. Not everyone cares however and that is up to the individual. I can mount a lesser quality rail on a duty rifle and it can go in and out of a squad daily. Even deployed from the squad on a regular basis and it would probably be OK. Duty use does not necessarily mean hard use. However if I am entrusting my life to a certain piece of gear, I might be more inclined to buy better quality. Because Murphy is indeed a cops biggest concern. If I were going for hard use and / or don't have the ability to get parts or replacement easily then I might opt for better quality, lighter weight etc.

locosteelersfan
01-15-2011, 18:20
I have several PA parts including the rails. I couldn't be happier will all of them.

While I agree to an extent on the "duty" thing. Lets define duty= military/leo.

Duty is not HD.

surf
01-15-2011, 20:29
Again, just my thoughts and I realize that a HD weapon will more than likely not see as much abuse as a LE duty weapon or a military weapon.

Having said that for LE I would be responsible for myself and others lives. In a HD situation I would be responsible for myself and the lives of my family. IMO the lives of myself and my family come first and rate the same attention to my choices as I would put into a duty rifle.

Edit - I also mentioned duty rifle in my original post because I realize the the OP is an LEO.

MARSH1
01-16-2011, 03:57
I do not know anything about the weapons light but I believe the rails are made by UTG.

We but the rails direct from the factory not UTG. We bundle it with three Magpul XTMs for $44.99

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=678&categoryId=193

Light reviews here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=325&t=175332

txleapd
01-16-2011, 07:23
MARSH1,

Do you happen to have any specs for your rails? I'm really interested in weight and material. Thanks!

ACC703
01-16-2011, 17:02
I have the Ultimate Weapon Light on my AR that I use on duty every day as a LEO. I have not had any problems with the light. It is super bright and fits nice and tight on my rail. It is a bit big but its not heavy. I would reccomend it without a doubt.

MARSH1
01-16-2011, 17:36
MARSH1,

Do you happen to have any specs for your rails? I'm really interested in weight and material. Thanks!

It is anodized aluminium. Not the highest grade but they lock up tight and stay that way. I am heading to SHOT early tomorrow but I will ask one of the guy in the shop to weigh it and post results.

Marshall

MARSH1
01-17-2011, 08:00
Weight 13oz

doc540
01-17-2011, 08:29
My two cents = customer service is fantatstic

When I'm considering anything for my guns, I check with PA before anyone else.

Keep up the great work!

txleapd
01-17-2011, 12:02
Thanks for the info, Marshall!