Surefire 60 and 100 round mags. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Surefire 60 and 100 round mags.

NeverMore1701
01-14-2011, 18:32
Anyone chomping at the bit to try them? I'm not, due to their price, but would like to hear how others like them.

txleapd
01-14-2011, 18:42
Just because Surfire slaps their name on something doesn't give me wood to go throw money at it... but that's just me, personally.

denn1911
01-14-2011, 18:47
Although I am interested in them, it's not for their name brand. I will be checking them out first chance I get, but I'll be doing research on them. I'm hoping that they are reliable long term. If they prove themselves, I may add some to my inventory.

Dobie
01-14-2011, 19:10
Just because Surfire slaps their name on something doesn't give me wood to go throw money at it... but that's just me, personally.
Has Surefire let you down? Just curious.

I am game

txleapd
01-14-2011, 19:20
Has Surefire let you down? Just curious.

I am game

I just don't see the need to go out and drop $120 on a cumbersome 60 round mag that I don't need. Surefire builds solid products, but I don't have to run out and buy the newest one, just because it has "Surefire" written on the side.

Dobie
01-14-2011, 19:41
I just don't see the need to go out and drop $120 on a cumbersome 60 round mag that I don't need. Surefire builds solid products, but I don't have to run out and buy the newest one, just because it has "Surefire" written on the side.
Cumbersome compared to what? 30 round P mags?
Its not even out yet. If the price is off for you dont buy.

I will have some if its reliable.

USMCsilver
01-14-2011, 19:42
Hmph. I'll keep my Beta-C. At least I can use it on a bench.

txleapd
01-14-2011, 19:55
Cumbersome compared to what? 30 round P mags?
Its not even out yet. If the price is off for you dont buy.

I will have some if its reliable.

You seem like I upset you. Not my intent. I'm Sorry if my not being overly impressed with Surefire upsets you. Have you seen pictures of it? It looks cumbersome to me. The 100 round looks impossible. Good luck finding a mag pouch for either...

I can buy eight 30 round Pmags for the price of one of those. I have also trained to reload, so it doesn't intimidate me to the point that I feel the need to shove a 60 round mag in my gun. I think it's an answer to a question never asked, and Surefire is banking that people will pay an insane price because it has their name on it.

I'm not telling you not to buy it. It's my opinion that it's another example of over priced and unneeded gear that some people will drool over because of name brand recognition. I respect your opinion. Respect mine.

If you don't want to hear different opinions, lightfighter is always accepting new members.

01-14-2011, 20:05
I agree with txleapd on all points. Google for pics, and you'll see what he means.

Dobie
01-14-2011, 20:15
I have seen the pics and video....again it not even out yet.
Upset? Over what? Something thats not released yet that you dont want - whatever. I will give it a chance, thats more than you will apparently.

txleapd
01-14-2011, 20:27
I have seen the pics and video....again it not even out yet.
Upset? Over what? Something thats not released yet that you dont want - whatever. I will give it a chance, thats more than you will apparently.

You're right. I'm not going to give it a chance. Why should I pay $120 to skip a reload? I guess I'll miss the chance for it to make me cool... Oh well.

surf
01-14-2011, 22:12
Of course I have not tried the mag yet. For my purposes 60 rounds on a rifle is cumbersome but manageable on a Redi-Mag type of set up. However there seems to be one big difference in where the weight is located on the Surefire mags. With the Redi-Mag or a double cinch set up the weight is higher on the receiver of the weapon. It appears that Surefire set up that will put the weight at a position on the rifle that will more dramatically affect the rifle balance and maneuverability in a negative manner. I would imagine that for a combat shooter, or someone who might use the rifle for extended periods of time, this set up would be more of a disadvantage especially in CQB or when alternate shooting positions change frequently. I am quite positive that 100 rounder won't be any better. I also wonder about feed reliability with the added weight or more correctly the added lateral pressures put on the magazine. This may be a lesser problem if Surefire has it worked out, but something to think about.

I definitely think it will sell as a novelty item, or might even do well in the gaming community, but I don't think it will have much practical application in the LE or military or defensive shooting worlds.

AK_Stick
01-14-2011, 22:19
I'm defenitly looking at those 60 round mags from Surefire, and Magpul.

Those may be just the ticket for guys like me.

MikeinCincy
01-15-2011, 10:18
I will probably buy one of each to begin with. If I am satisfied (which I always have been with Surefire products), then I will perhaps buy more.

G19 Elite
01-15-2011, 11:37
I wouldn't rule out trying the 60 round mag. But I dont see myself carrying 3-5 of those mags on my kit. Maybe just keep the 60 rounder in the gun, toss it in the dump pouch and then reload with traditional mags after that.

PlasticGuy
01-15-2011, 11:44
I wouldn't rule out trying the 60 round mag. But I dont see myself carrying 3-5 of those mags on my kit. Maybe just keep the 60 rounder in the gun, toss it in the dump pouch and then reload with traditional mags after that.
I was thinking the same thing. Having 50-60 rounds in the gun and ready to go sounds great, and I can carry 30 round mags if I need reloads beyond that. Skipping my first reload doesn't sound like a bad idea, as long as reliability isn't compromised.

MARSH1
01-16-2011, 04:08
Video of mags in action here. We will have them as soon as they are available.

Marshall

http://www.surefire.com/video-channel#highcapacitymagazine

surf
01-16-2011, 11:23
Wait till the double cinch comes out then you can hump 200 rounds on the weapon. :)

NeverMore1701
01-16-2011, 12:01
What you talkin bout, can just duck tape as many together as you want.....

surf
01-16-2011, 13:19
Now your going old school on us.

If we do the standard duck tape end to end overlap on the 100 rounders we will have our own monopod to shoot from the standing position. I am so gonna rock that and video it! :rofl:

vafish
01-16-2011, 13:47
I wonder how long it will be until someone makes a clamp to hold 2 of them together?

surf
01-16-2011, 13:56
I know I am kidding here, but it is hard to judge the mags without doing a thorough T&E on one. I can see how the 60 may have some benefit in certain applications, so it really is hard to judge it right now. I will no doubt be getting these to test so I will know more after I have a chance to give them a fair vetting. I am quite sure they will be popular in the gaming community. I will also say that I do not think that Surefire would put out an item without being comfortable about its reliability. Surefire is top notch when it comes to this.

surf
01-16-2011, 13:58
I wonder how long it will be until someone makes a clamp to hold 2 of them together?I am quite sure I can adapt some of my old school mag cinches to work with them.

Edit - If it doesn't work from a practical shooting aspect, the rifle and loaded mags could also double as a boat anchor. :supergrin:

GenoTac Ind.
01-16-2011, 14:27
$120??? Thats 8 pmags at $15 each = 240 rds...

ArtificialGrape
01-16-2011, 14:36
Any idea on why they won't ship to Colorado? I've never had capacity issues here. Perhaps some municipalities that restrict them and Surefire doesn't want to have to keep track?

Thanks!

NeverMore1701
01-16-2011, 14:44

That's kinda how I see it.

Glockdude1
01-16-2011, 15:07
Interesting.

60 Round Mag
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VMdraHwAbeg/TPzIgE3iceI/AAAAAAAAD_Q/sEVdRdIfOz8/s1600/Surefire+60-round.jpg

100 Round Mag
http://ar15tactical.net/mags/surefire_HCM_100-round.jpg

I will wait until the price comes WAY down. I already have quite a few PMAGS, I can wait.

Should be available in March 2011.

:cool:

vafish
01-16-2011, 15:59

Or 15 C-Products GI style metal 30 round mags ($7.95 at Aim Surplus) = 450 rounds.

MCKNBRD
01-17-2011, 08:29
On another gun forum that I'm on, one guy made a comment asking why they didn't just improve on the C-mag; I replied that on one hand, you could say that they DID improve the C-mag...its a hundred round magazine that WORKS.

Is it too large for prone? Yep. Is it a bit ungainly for vehicle use? Yep. But, in the context of suppressive fire, its an EXCELLENT choice (if it works as advertised). Heck, were I traipsing around indian territory in a HMMWV convoy (ambush magnet), I'd love to have a couple of these on me. Where? I dunno. But I'd figure out a way to have them if they were a force multiplier. With this thing, your carbine/rifle becomes a fairly effective suppressive fire weapon until things can be sorted out and a counterattack pressed. In terms of an ambush, the first 15-20 seconds are CRITICAL. If you can get the enemy to keep their heads down and position your guys, you will find yourself in a MUCH better tactical situation.

I've yet to see soldiers/marines shooting prone in a city, unless they're snipers or SDM on a rooftop; those guys wouldn't use this magazine anyway.

This is a decent answer to a specific question. Unfortunately for most civilians, its a question they neither ask nor fully understand. Therefore, Surefire will be dismissed as 'missing the mark' and 'not being realistic' by those that don't know. Those that DO know, however, will see the utility and practicality of these things. I'd be willing to bet that more than a few of these mags will be heading over to the sandbox in VERY short order. If they aren't there already.

Byrdman

Glockdude1
01-17-2011, 08:48
I feel for the grunt that ends up carrying those mags in his vest.

http://pocomilitary.com/catalog/images/Canada%20Military%20Surplus%20Tactical%20Camo%20SWAT%20vest.bmp

http://184.72.239.143/mu/4aaacdac-223f-6b38.jpg
Pic "borrowed" from another site.

:wow:

KalashniKEV
01-17-2011, 16:14
I feel for the grunt that ends up carrying those mags in his vest.

http://pocomilitary.com/catalog/images/Canada%20Military%20Surplus%20Tactical%20Camo%20SWAT%20vest.bmp

Me too. Good thing we aren't using airsoft gear.

(yet) ;)

cyrsequipment
01-17-2011, 16:32
I just love the title of this article....

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/12/06/surefire-introduces-the-john-holmes-of-rifle-magazines/

cyrsequipment
01-17-2011, 16:35
Me too. Good thing we aren't using airsoft gear.

(yet) ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The winner!!!!

Glockdude1
01-17-2011, 18:04
I just love the title of this article....

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/12/06/surefire-introduces-the-john-holmes-of-rifle-magazines/

From the text: "Surefire Introduces the John Holmes of rifle magazines."

:rofl:

mixflip
01-17-2011, 23:44
I just shot a 60 and 100 rounder today at Shot Show media day at the range. It ran flawless for me but I did see a few malfunctions with at least one shooter. The gun had been shot all day so I am sure it was gummed up with carbon fouling. The Surefire rep had to lube the bolt to get it back in action. (typical of the AR/M16 platform of course - run it wet!!!)

Agent6-3/8
01-18-2011, 21:45

Or 15 C-Products GI style metal 30 round mags ($7.95 at Aim Surplus) = 450 rounds.

Exactly...

Personally, I don't see the point. 60 and 100 round mags will add quite a bit of weight to the gun and make shooting from the prone position difficult. To each his own, but I personally have absolutely no use for such a mag.

I swear, with all the tacticool gimmicks on the market, sometimes I think the AR 15 platform has "jumped the shark".

humanguerrilla
01-18-2011, 22:56
good reviews from shotshow on the 60 rounder. Sounds not too much longer and heavier.

B.Reid
01-19-2011, 07:38
http://www.surefire.com/video-channel#highcapacitymagazine

Hedo1
01-19-2011, 18:22
At $120 I'd probably pass on them or wait until Magpul comes out with one and lowers the price point. I'd probably pay up to about $40 for one and that's about it.