Changing sights on a Glock 23 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Changing sights on a Glock 23

flipside101
01-15-2011, 11:28
I was told when I bought my 23 that only a dealer is capable of adjusting the sights and changing them. Is this true? I was curious about the 3 dot sight set-up (night sight I think they are) and if it's better than the stock white square sight. They told me it takes a special punch tool of some sort?? Are all glocks the same as far as sights?

Bucky89
01-15-2011, 11:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMIns_eB0c&feature=fvst

They told you only they could do it because they wanted your $10 for 5 minutes worth of work.

Trgtguy
01-15-2011, 11:44
Removing the factory sights on a glock is easily done with a drift punch and brass hammer, that exactly fits the sides of the sight and doesn't slip off and marr the finish of the sights ,if they are of the plastic version. This in mind , Warning , if you have night sights ,they have a glass vial inside that will break ,if you try to tap them out yourself. For this you need a sight adjusting tool [ most gunsmiths have them] that gently pushes the rear sight out of the dovetail. The front sight is screwed on [usually] depends on the generation Glock it is ,or may be pinned on with a plastic expansion plug seen from under the slide that spreads the bottom of the sight out and makes it tight in the slide. Some people on the threads will try to tell you , Just hammer your night sights out yourself, DON'T DO IT ! it's too easy to break the tritium vials !

jaytee 10mm
01-15-2011, 11:46
Removing the factory sights on a glock is easily done with a drift punch and brass hammer, that exactly fits the sides of the sight and doesn't slip off and marr the finish of the sights ,if they are of the plastic version. This in mind , Warning , if you have night sights ,they have a glass vial inside that will break ,if you try to tap them out yourself. For this you need a sight adjusting tool [ most gunsmiths have them] that gently pushes the rear sight out of the dovetail. The front sight is screwed on [usually] or may be pinned on with a plastic expansion plug seen from under the slide that spreads the bottom of the sight out and makes it tight in the slide. Some people on the threads will try to tell you , Just hammer your night sights out yourself, DON'T DO IT ! it's too easy to break the tritium vials !
I agree get a front sight armoures tool from lwd 20$ and a rear sight tool 130$ I tried without......get the tools

flipside101
01-15-2011, 11:51

They told you only they could do it because they wanted your $10 for 5 minutes worth of work.
Well that was pretty easy. I have those tools already...:embarassed:

Are those sights more accurate?

flipside101
01-15-2011, 11:54
Well I guess I will do some shooting first with the original sights and see what happens.

Thanks for the info guys

Bucky89
01-15-2011, 11:56
Well that was pretty easy. I have those tools already...:embarassed:

Are those sights more accurate?

It typically just depends on the user's preference and past experience.

Glock4President
01-15-2011, 12:20
Try the glock night sites. They rock. And they are treated in tennifer, just like the rest of your glock. They also have the best warranty on the market.

Crom
01-16-2011, 09:43

Thanks for posting that video.