Reloading for a beginner [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for a beginner

Led Head
01-15-2011, 13:20
A dream of mine is coming true Friday. I will FINALLY be getting a G20! I am so excited I can't sleep. I know 10mm is one of the more harder to find rounds however and would like to get into reloading. Press/ beginner kit suggestions would be great as well. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book to get started on with reloading. I have absolutely no experience on the subject but think it would be a great stress reliever/money saver. I am a first year medical student so believe me when I say I have stress a plenty and money-- not any haha. I figured a few hours at the range on the weekends would help me "zero" back out. I also plan to use my G20 to hunt whitetail and hogs, but I will probably just buy jacketed hollow point full loads for that. I have a lot of down time in the summer and would like to start reloading some rounds. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Side note, I also have a Beretta 92 fs that I love shooting. I have seen mixed reviews, but is it economically sound to also reload 9mm? My friend is getting a G17 friday as well so I thought maybe he could use my press too to reload.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Esh
01-15-2011, 18:25
I bought the simple/cheap setup, and still use it 5 years later.

I use:
RCBS single stage press
RCBS dies
Lee scoop set
RCBS powder trickler
RCBS tray
Lee cutter/lock stud
RCBS shell plate
Balance beam scale

Besides consumables, that will pretty much get you going. I hand weigh all charges so I can't load in huge volumes, but I don't just go blasting at the range either so it works for me.

MinervaDoe
01-15-2011, 18:34
Side note, I also have a Beretta 92 fs that I love shooting. I have seen mixed reviews, but is it economically sound to also reload 9mm?
I figure reloading used 9mm brass, it costs me 11.17 cents per round to reload 9mm (plus, I taylor my loads to what is accurate in my guns). Plated bullets would be even cheaper.
That's $55.85 for 500 rounds.
I think it's economically viable.

Taterhead
01-16-2011, 11:42
You may consider the rcbs rock chucker supreme kit. It has about everything you need except calipers, dies, shell holder, and tumbler. It also includes a good manual - probably the most important piece of equipment. I noticed that they have been on sale lately. Check cabellas. I've run thousands of rounds through my rcbs press with excellent results. Just be sure to get carbide dies - great time saver and worth an extra few bucks.

billybob44
01-17-2011, 19:01
I started in the early '70's with a RCBS RockChucker, and bought mainly RCBS dies/components. As said-be sure to pay the slight extra for the carbide dies.
I have owned a Dillon RL550 for over 20 years, and have moved more toward the Dillon system over the last 5 years or so.
If you shoot a hi volume of hand gun loads, I think the Dillon system is the way to go. Yes you will pay more for the initial set up, but you will more than pay for it in volume and quality of loads.
I have heard of several times where several people would go in on a Dillon press, in shares, to get the quality loads at a reduced initial outlay.
If you are in the shooting sports for the long haul, I believe the Dillon system is the way to go.:wavey:

MakeMineA10mm
01-17-2011, 21:04
I believe if you go over to the general Reloading forum and look in the stickied threads at the top, one of them says something like: "Starter kits" or "what you need to start-off in reloading" or something similar. It's a GREAT thread with GREAT advice. Check it out.

whenmonkeysfly
01-18-2011, 10:41
I started in the early '70's with a RCBS RockChucker, and bought mainly RCBS dies/components. As said-be sure to pay the slight extra for the carbide dies.
I have owned a Dillon RL550 for over 20 years, and have moved more toward the Dillon system over the last 5 years or so.
If you shoot a hi volume of hand gun loads, I think the Dillon system is the way to go. Yes you will pay more for the initial set up, but you will more than pay for it in volume and quality of loads.
I have heard of several times where several people would go in on a Dillon press, in shares, to get the quality loads at a reduced initial outlay.
If you are in the shooting sports for the long haul, I believe the Dillon system is the way to go.:wavey:

I received a Dillon XL-650 for Christmas and love it! I've been using a Forster CO-AX single stage press for the past few years and found loading 200-300 handgun cartridges slow and tedious.

That being said, I do not regret getting a single stage press prior to the Dillon because it allowed me to learn each step of reloading process. My single stage press is also my first choice when doing load development.

The Dillon has been great for loading ammo quickly. I like to shoot and Dillon XL-650 allows me to spend a lot less time reloading and more time shooting. (Last night I cranked-out 300+ rounds of 10mm in less than an hour.) :)

I will continue to use the Forster CO-AX for small batches of rifle/handgun loads I'm tweaking. (It's a great single stage press!) Then it's to the Dillon for some serious ammo production.

Burien
01-18-2011, 21:10
Get a Lee Pro-1000 will handle all your rounds, easy to use about $150 with one set of dies, then you need a scale, and calipers load data is free on line all over.

aggiekcc
01-19-2011, 22:38
I also started reloading just for the 10mm. I got the Lee classic turret and I love it. I use it in progressive mode and it works great! I will give you a pieice of advice that I figured out the hard way though....the initial setup for the dies usually applies to 40 cal only! You will buckle and crush the first tries at reloading if you set up the dies the way they tell you to since the 40 cal and 10mm dies are the same. Look up some of my old posts to see what I mean or shoot me an e-mail. Good luck and enjoy the 10mm! It is greatness.