1911 to customize [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 to customize

gomerpyle
01-15-2011, 23:15
So I've recently talked my work into getting a couple Haas CNC machines, new computers, and design software (we were living in the stone age). I pretty much have free reign on any "side" work I want to do. My owners are gun fanatics so they'll be happy with my extra curricular work, they have some nice 1911's themselves. I'm thinking about getting a 1911 to tinker with and make my own parts. What are your recommendations on a platform to start with?

Ruggles
01-15-2011, 23:16
I say Colt or Springfield would be the best best money / quality wise.

glock2740
01-15-2011, 23:18
Very cool. Wilson makes slides and frames. Caspian is good too. Do your machines allow you to engrave?

bac1023
01-15-2011, 23:20
I like Colt for that purpose.

gomerpyle
01-15-2011, 23:27
Very cool. Wilson makes slides and frames. Caspian is good too. Do your machines allow you to engrave?

That's funny you mention engraving. This week we just got a laser engraver that we're hopefully going to do our lifter engraving with. The lady came in to train me and my boss and her program she had loaded for demo was Surefire's. She just sold them all their equipment. Hopefully we get at least 1 machine ($50,000). Just depends on our profit margin after purchase. I'm trying to cut down on outsourcing this year, it's costing us a small fortune. So yes, hopefully in the future I can do engraving.

Quack
01-15-2011, 23:29
Colt.

gomerpyle
01-15-2011, 23:42
I was thinking Springfield just because they're easier to find. As far as tolerances & material go, what would make colt better? Not trying to cause a dispute on whose better, just a general synopsis on why. I'm a newbie when it comes to customizing 1911's. Companies like Morris Customs base their work on colts so there has to be a reason.

Quack
01-15-2011, 23:45
Get a RIA to ruin first, then a Colt. :rofl:

gomerpyle
01-15-2011, 23:46
Get a RIA to ruin first, then a Colt. :rofl:

:chatter:no faith! I was mostly thinking starting with grip safeties, thumb safeties, slide releases' and triggers. Maybe venture into barrel bushings, MSH's, slide to frame fit, etc. But only after I examine what works and what doesn't. I don't want to compromise a particular gun just to make parts right now. I'm not trying to be the next Les Baer, just trying to do something fun and different with my spare time. Like I said I'm a newbie when it comes to things like this with 1911's and looking to change that. What I don't know, I find intriguing and a challenge.

GeorgiaRedfish
01-16-2011, 00:13
My new to me Springer as an awesome slide to frame fit. The only thing about the Springer Beavertail safety is harder to fit (for GI and Milspec) I believe, more filling and sanding.

quantico
01-16-2011, 17:01
My advice would be colt. They are in many ways the industry standard. My first 1911 building was on a colt. Ed brown pistols along with wilson hold the tightest tolerances from pistol to pistol so those are possible second level pistols to work. With.

Cobra64
01-16-2011, 23:44
I like Colt for that purpose.I could send him mine. :rofl: