Thoughts on the new Kimber full sized frame Ultra CDP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the new Kimber full sized frame Ultra CDP?

glock2740
01-16-2011, 00:15
Doesn't look too bad, but, since I already have a CDP Pro, what makes it worth buying? If I'm gonna have a full sized frame, then why not have the 4" barrel? And if I'm gonna have a 3" barrel, then why not have the officer frame? :dunno:Just curious as to what you guys think?

stumpjumper
01-16-2011, 06:39
I have a Colt Defender Plus (full size frame and 3" barrel) and carry it more that my CBOB.

G27RR
01-16-2011, 07:03
Doesn't look too bad, but, since I already have a CDP Pro, what makes it worth buying? If I'm gonna have a full sized frame, then why not have the 4" barrel? And if I'm gonna have a 3" barrel, then why not have the officer frame? :dunno:Just curious as to what you guys think?

I have to agree with your questions.

glockenbill
01-22-2011, 20:04
I work in a gunstore and range also own an ultra CDP 3" .Never heard of a full frame Ultra .There all officer sized frames .I just checked their product list & saw none listed. ??

Ruggles
01-22-2011, 23:52
Yeah news to me as well, have not seen this Kimber. DW made one and as mentioned Colt as well I believe. Kimber makes a compact frame with a 4" inch slide in place of the UC 3" slide.

Some folks think the slide length is harder to conceal other think the frame length is more an issue thus the shorter frames and the bobtail modification. I could see where those who think the frame length is more critical to concealing would want the short slide with regular frame. The shorter frames often leave a finger hanging off at the bottom.

For me the frame length is more of an issue than slide length.

bac1023
01-23-2011, 00:01
I think its ridiculously stupid, quite honestly.

AZ Husker
01-23-2011, 01:33
For what...the loss in velocity, sight radius, accuracy, and balance?

Ruggles
01-23-2011, 01:39
I think it also goes back to somebody wanting to do something, anything different with the platform. After 100 years it is getting harder and harder to come up with something on a 1911 that has not been done before :rofl:

awpk03s
01-23-2011, 01:50
Yeah, 3" barrel on a full size Gov't frame is just plain dumb if you ask me.

simulatedjim
01-23-2011, 12:40
It is called an Ultra "+" I guess if you have large hands you may like it.

GeorgiaRedfish
01-23-2011, 12:43
Retarded concept. I have big hands and have no problem with the officer's frame.

PlasticGuy
01-23-2011, 15:39
I remember when Colt tried this concept. I never understood giving up everything that makes it shoot well, while keeping a full sized grip that's hard to conceal. Stupid.

TKR Reptiles
01-23-2011, 15:43
I think its ridiculously stupid, quite honestly.

I couldn't agree more... WTF is the point in have a full sized grip on a 3" barrel!!! The grip is the part you have to try to conceal, not the barrel!!! Ridiculous...

AZ Husker
01-23-2011, 19:09
The full size grip with a 4" barrel is called the "Pro", Kimber's equivalent to the Commander. Here they're talking about a full grip with a 3" Ultra barrel. Stupid idea!

TKR Reptiles
01-23-2011, 19:38
The full size grip with a 4" barrel is called the "Pro", Kimber's equivalent to the Commander. Here they're talking about a full grip with a 3" Ultra barrel. Stupid idea!

OPE! Thanks for pointing out my typo... I meant to hit the 3 lol...

glock2740
01-23-2011, 20:59
I work in a gunstore and range also own an ultra CDP 3" .Never heard of a full frame Ultra .There all officer sized frames .I just checked their product list & saw none listed. ??

Yeah news to me as well, have not seen this Kimber. DW made one and as mentioned Colt as well I believe. Kimber makes a compact frame with a 4" inch slide in place of the UC 3" slide.

Some folks think the slide length is harder to conceal other think the frame length is more an issue thus the shorter frames and the bobtail modification. I could see where those who think the frame length is more critical to concealing would want the short slide with regular frame. The shorter frames often leave a finger hanging off at the bottom.

For me the frame length is more of an issue than slide length.

I couldn't agree more... WTF is the point in have a full sized grip on a 3" barrel!!! The grip is the part you have to try to conceal, not the barrel!!! Ridiculous...
Look at the inside cover of the latest March GUNS magazine, with a Kimber Super Carry Pro on the cover at the newstand now and get back with me. I don't print the Kimber ads. I just comment on them. No, it's not on their website, which is ALWAYS a year behind. While your at it, check out the back cover Kimber ad of the same magazine and look at the new Super Carry HD Pro and Custom, that are also NOT on their website.

glock2740
01-23-2011, 21:23
http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/GUNS/GUNS0311/?page=90

Click on the << button and go to thr cover with the CC Pro on it. The turn the page. Bingo.

glock2740
01-23-2011, 21:43
Here you go guys. Crappy cell phone pic, but I don't make this stuff up guys.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/cdp.jpg

ajgranda
01-24-2011, 09:23
Here you go guys. Crappy cell phone pic, but I don't make this stuff up guys.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/cdp.jpg

Thanks and :shakehead:

GeorgiaRedfish
01-24-2011, 09:43
All the draw backs of a 3 incher with the conceal-ability of a fullsize. Makes sense to me.

glock2740
01-24-2011, 11:40
Better picture.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/Displaycase004.jpg

TKR Reptiles
01-24-2011, 11:42
I have seen the pics first hand in a magazine, and still think it is a retarded design... Just my .02...

thecableguy
01-24-2011, 12:02
Better picture.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/Displaycase004.jpg

I wonder what genius thought that would be a great idea. :upeyes:

glock2740
01-24-2011, 12:30
I have seen the pics first hand in a magazine, and still think it is a retarded design... Just my .02...
Ditto. It doesn't add to concealability, and if you wanted a short slide, with a full size frame, then just get the CDP Pro, like I did.

TKR Reptiles
01-24-2011, 12:46
Ditto. It doesn't add to concealability, and if you wanted a short slide, with a full size frame, then just get the CDP Pro, like I did.

EXACTLY! I don't even understand why they thought that was a good idea with the Pro already being available... Nobody in their right mind would want to lose an inch on the barrel, but keep the same size handle... Now the Pro Compact, that was a good idea... 4"inch barrel on a Ultra frame... That is more concealable...

glock2740
01-24-2011, 12:57
EXACTLY! I don't even understand why they thought that was a good idea with the Pro already being available... Nobody in their right mind would want to lose an inch on the barrel, but keep the same size handle... Now the Pro Compact, that was a good idea... 4"inch barrel on a Ultra frame... That is more concealable...
I agree 100%. Were there requests for such a gun? I've never heard anyone ever say they would want something like that. :dunno:

Jack Black
01-24-2011, 14:06
Maybe something like that would conceal better in a horizontal shoulder rig? I don't know, I'm just trying to figure out what they're thinking. I think it's a dumb idea.

TKR Reptiles
01-24-2011, 15:24
I agree 100%. Were there requests for such a gun? I've never heard anyone ever say they would want something like that. :dunno:

Maybe something like that would conceal better in a horizontal shoulder rig? I don't know, I'm just trying to figure out what they're thinking. I think it's a dumb idea.

I honestly think it goes back to what someone already said... They were sitting around and thought "what can we do that nobody has ever done before?"... They just didn't realize the reason nobody had done it before is because it is a bad idea...

AZ Husker
01-24-2011, 18:54
I agree. The Compact was one of the best designs Kimber ever made, but they didn't push it like the Ultra. All the benefits and none of the problems.

Officer's Match
01-24-2011, 19:17
I agree. The Compact was one of the best designs Kimber ever made, but they didn't push it like the Ultra. All the benefits and none of the problems.

Agreed. I loved the CDP Compact I had.

Quack
01-24-2011, 19:53
I spoke with the designers at Kimber earlier today. it was an interesting conversation that i had with them. They designed it for reliability, balance and backup. The said that it wasn't reliable enough, so they designed it to be balanced so it can be used as a boomerang as a backup plan. :animlol:

glock2740
01-24-2011, 20:34
I spoke with the designers at Kimber earlier today. it was an interesting conversation that i had with them. They designed it for reliability, balance and backup. The said that it wasn't reliable enough, so they designed it to be balanced so it can be used as a boomerang as a backup plan. :animlol:
Were you talking to one of the Custom Shop smiths? :whistling: :)

TKR Reptiles
01-24-2011, 21:33
Were you talking to one of the Custom Shop smiths? :whistling: :)

I think he dialed the wrong number and got connected to the SACS...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

thecableguy
01-24-2011, 21:42
I think he dialed the wrong number and got connected to the SACS...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You sure it wasn't Fusion?