boiling stored water? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : boiling stored water?

JinVA
01-16-2011, 13:40
I have heard contradictions - if you add bleach to stored water it will be ok to drink...but you should boil ALL stored water before drinking.

What's the deal with water?

I've drank plenty of bottled water which was sitting around for 6 months and noticed no difference. Maybe tap water is worse.

JC Refuge
01-16-2011, 14:10
Boiling water is the best method for killing microbes and parasites. High-end water filters would be comparable to boiling water.

Household bleach, in an emergency, can be an effective drinking water purifier (half a teaspoon per 5 gallons of water). Important to note--household bleach loses efficacy by 6 months after it is manufactured, whether the bottle has been opened or not--so if that is how you are going to purify water, you have to keep a very fresh supply of bleach on hand.

Bleach is NOT a good water preserver (see previous paragraph) due to it's rapid decomposition. There is now a proprietary water preserver (http://store.prepared.pro/waterpreserverconcentratefor165gallons.aspx) out there that keeps stored tap water pure effectively for at least 5 years.

Storing tap water beyond 6 months is likely to result in the growth of microbes and algae, even in the best containers (such as clean blue water barrels approved for water storage). Call it, literally, a crap shoot if you choose to drink water that has not been adequately treated for human consumption.

JC Refuge
01-22-2011, 15:28
Sorry--somehow I originally overlooked your comment here about commercial bottled water.

Any expiration dates on commercially bottled drinking water are primarily aimed at some miniscule degradation or change in taste of the water. The FDA considers commercially bottled water to have an indefinite shelf life.

The Red Cross and the Dept. of Homeland Security recommend people who use tap water for their own bottled emergency storage to change-out the water every six months.