Sbr? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sbr?

B.Reid
01-16-2011, 13:17
When you apply for a tax stamp do you have to say what length the barrel will be? And if so could you put a longer barrel on it later. Say your stamp says 10" but later you put a 12" barrel on it. Is this OK? If so why wouldn't I apply for a 7.5" just in case I decide to go that short later?

MisterPX
01-16-2011, 14:27
You'll needa barrel length on your form 1. You can change barrel length later, but not "permanantly", without notifying ATF.

Ie; You list 12', you make a 12' SBR. HEre and there, you install your 14.5', or 7.5' barrel, no problems. It's wehn you sell your 12' barrel, and only have the 14.5 and 7.5, that the change needs to be sent to ATf, since your barrel change is no longer temporary.

boomhower
01-16-2011, 15:40
As MisterPX said, it can be changed after the fact. Same with caliber as well.

KDawg0007
01-16-2011, 16:10
As long as you can return it to the configuration you specified in the form 1 you can change it. In other words, if you say 10.5 in the paper work you can put a 7.5 or 12 upper on it, as long as you keep the 10.5 upper you should be in good shape. I am not a lawyer though so take it for what it is, my interpretation of the regulations.

cyrsequipment
01-17-2011, 14:54
You'll needa barrel length on your form 1. You can change barrel length later, but not "permanantly", without notifying ATF.

Ie; You list 12', you make a 12' SBR. HEre and there, you install your 14.5', or 7.5' barrel, no problems. It's wehn you sell your 12' barrel, and only have the 14.5 and 7.5, that the change needs to be sent to ATf, since your barrel change is no longer temporary.

Can you have all three barrels on hand? Especially with another AR in the house?

Fireman1291
01-17-2011, 14:57
So far, yes. Thats the ruling. But the "experts" at the ATF like to play around and change rulings every 5 min.

B.Reid
01-17-2011, 14:59
Can you have all three barrels on hand? Especially with another AR in the house?

Sounds like it will be OK since you have the registered lower. But this is kinda why I asked the question. Seems to me I would want to register it for the shortest barrel I plan to use.

Jon_R
01-17-2011, 15:25

And if ATF shows up at my front door and asks to come in and look around I would decline the request regardless. If they have probable cause a crime is being committed they can get a search warrant.

IMO to explain parts you would just need a plausible reason to explain why you have them. To swap them onto your registered SBR lower which is legal would be a plausible explanation. I also have a stripped AR "virgin" lower so a short upper in excess of my SBR could be for a legal pistol build. Having a short upper on hand and only non SBR rifles your reason of someday you might do an SBR or you plan on getting an AR pistol is not as plausible of an explanation so you might have some issues with that one.

Jon_R
01-17-2011, 15:31
Sounds like it will be OK since you have the registered lower. But this is kinda why I asked the question. Seems to me I would want to register it for the shortest barrel I plan to use.

You just need to register it with whatever you are going to start with. You basically if asked / required to put it in the "permanent" config that your paperwork shows you need to be able to. If your form says 11.5 and you only have a 7.5 then you can't. If your form says 7.5 and you only have 11.5 then you also can't.

If you get rid of the upper that allows you to get to what your paperwork shows then send a letter to ATF that you are changing the permanent config to whatever you have then.

cyrsequipment
01-17-2011, 16:27
Interesting, thnak you for the input, I was always under the impression that if you have more than one "short" barrel and another AR that is not registered as an SBR, then your were in defacto possession of an unregistered SBR...

If that is the case, then it opens up a whole bunch of possibilities for me. Thanks. I'm still going to check with the ATF before I go out and buy another barrel for my SBR, but thank you very much.

scottMO
01-17-2011, 17:42
Interesting, thnak you for the input, I was always under the impression that if you have more than one "short" barrel and another AR that is not registered as an SBR, then your were in defacto possession of an unregistered SBR...

If that is the case, then it opens up a whole bunch of possibilities for me. Thanks. I'm still going to check with the ATF before I go out and buy another barrel for my SBR, but thank you very much.

As long as you have a non sbr upper (16" or longer) for each "non sbr" lower, the concensus is that you should be fine, since you have a legal way of configuring the "normal" rifle/lower.

Having an extra non sbr lower, w/out a 16" upper, but with extra shorty uppers COULD have the interpretation of constructive intent...

cyrsequipment
01-18-2011, 05:01
As long as you have a non sbr upper (16" or longer) for each "non sbr" lower, the concensus is that you should be fine, since you have a legal way of configuring the "normal" rifle/lower.

Having an extra non sbr lower, w/out a 16" upper, but with extra shorty uppers COULD have the interpretation of constructive intent...

Ok, so any "unfinished" lowers I have floating around could cause me problems? That makes sense. Thank you.

Jon_R
01-18-2011, 07:50
Ok, so any "unfinished" lowers I have floating around could cause me problems? That makes sense. Thank you.

You mean your AR pistol lowers. :whistling:

NeverMore1701
01-18-2011, 08:40
Here's my plan for later in the year:

Buy BCM lower, sans stock.
Send off for engraving.
When it gets back, send off ATF paperwork.
Buy pistol buffer tube and 11.5" BCM upper.
Enjoy as pistol for a few months.
When paperwork comes back, put on regular tube and stock, enjoy as SBR.

B.Reid
01-18-2011, 10:25
Here's my plan for later in the year:

Buy BCM lower, sans stock.
Send off for engraving.
When it gets back, send off ATF paperwork.
Buy pistol buffer tube and 11.5" BCM upper.
Enjoy as pistol for a few months.
When paperwork comes back, put on regular tube and stock, enjoy as SBR.

Where do you send it for engraving?

scottMO
01-18-2011, 10:51

Orion Arms or Ident Marking are 2 of the more popular ones. I strongly suggest having it marked 1st, before sending the forms, and using a professional to have it done. there are to many horror stories abt things mis-spelled, dremel engraving, etc...

B.Reid
01-18-2011, 10:59
Orion Arms or Ident Marking are 2 of the more popular ones. I strongly suggest having it marked 1st, before sending the forms, and using a professional to have it done. there are to many horror stories abt things mis-spelled, dremel engraving, etc...

Ok, What has to be engraved on it?

01-18-2011, 11:40
Ok, What has to be engraved on it?
The name of your trust and its location:

The Joe Smith Revocable Living Trust
Dallas, Texas

rjrivero
01-18-2011, 12:37

I have lowers done by Orion. They use a traditional cutting tool. I would consider using a place that does LASER ENGRAVING. The edges are much cleaner and the finish ends up being nicer as well.

http://www.customizedcreationz.com/

The cost is the same.

cyrsequipment
01-18-2011, 13:48
You mean your AR pistol lowers. :whistling:

Nah, I can't play that type of game, I have to keep everyting FAR above board. Good idea though.

NeverMore1701
01-18-2011, 13:52
Nah, I can't play that type of game, I have to keep everyting FAR above board. Good idea though.

A stripped lower is a receiver, not a rifle or pistol until you build it into one, according to the ATF.

cyrsequipment
01-19-2011, 05:44
A stripped lower is a receiver, not a rifle or pistol until you build it into one, according to the ATF.

Oh, I understand. I just have a LOT of stocks laying around... and I work in Law Enforcement so if I were to ever get searched (like based on info posted on this board) I would not want to be standing there and be required to justify anything that is slightly "iffy"... either to the ATF or to my employers.

Right now I just have a single SBR registered lower, and a single "short" barrel. and when I get things a little more squared away I might get a few more barrels to play around with.

Thank you