Latest Purchase - 642 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Latest Purchase - 642

SuperSleuth
01-16-2011, 14:18
I just wanted to share news of my latest purchase, a new no-lock 642, that I picked up yesterday. Here's a picture:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg151/gotlyrics/SW642.jpg

It has Spegel boot grips right now. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet (hopefully sometime this week), but I'm going to try a few different grips I have to see if any ones in particular work best for me. Needless to say, I'm hoping the Spegel grips win. :supergrin:

Glock 17L
01-16-2011, 14:32
Congrats on the 642-1 SuperSlueth..
I'll see you over at the S&W Forum..

I love the Centennial S&W Snubs & Craig Spegel's Grips..

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6232/642940g19.jpg

BTW I'm HEADKNOCKER @ The S&W Forum..

Joshhtn
01-16-2011, 14:36
I just wanted to share news of my latest purchase, a new no-lock 642, that I picked up yesterday. Here's a picture:

It has Spegel boot grips right now. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet (hopefully sometime this week), but I'm going to try a few different grips I have to see if any ones in particular work best for me. Needless to say, I'm hoping the Spegel grips win. :supergrin:

Very nice!!... Congrats!!

bac1023
01-18-2011, 19:47
Congrats! :cool:

SuperSleuth
01-18-2011, 22:09
Thanks, everyone. I went shooting yesterday and tried a few different rounds. I'll just say I will definitely not be using Buffalo Bore's +P FBI load again! My hand is still sore. Short-Barrel GDHP were fine, though, so that's what I've got in it now.

phonejack
01-19-2011, 19:45
good for you!

tortoise
01-21-2011, 21:47

the perfesser
01-22-2011, 17:38
I am currently trying the Hornady Critical Defense standard pressure in my 442. Pleased thus far from a very small sample.

Berto
01-22-2011, 18:57
The Buffalo Bore +P loads rock ya a bit.:supergrin:

I like the Spegels too, have them on a few guns.....

Kit Gun
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8549/cleaningfootball42234gpi.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/466/smithandwessoncollectio.jpg

den888
02-03-2011, 11:32
Congrats!

Walt408
02-04-2011, 13:50
Congratulations!!! I have one in my pocket with a holster from Aholster ( http://www.lefthandholster.com/index.html ). Enjoy!

SagKC
02-04-2011, 16:03
Nice, congrats! Beautiful grips!

Lawrence Keeney
03-13-2011, 10:23
Youre lucky, Ive never seen one WITHOUT a lock.

Shootinbil
03-13-2011, 16:08
I have one with the lock and I just shot it last week. I put 150 rounds down range. It shot great:cool:

JayAK
05-19-2011, 20:12
I couldn't resist any longer so I ordered one. I pick it up tomorrow after work!

JBaird22
07-21-2011, 22:39
I got one for myself for my birthday. I qualified with it today and all I can say is I need better grips. The factory ones leave much to be desired (mines a 642-1 with the standard rubber grips). Mine shot well but that trigger is way easy to slap and since this is my first wheel gun and having come from semi-auto's the lack of a reset or rather the reset that is all the way out is kinda crazy. I like it though. Good pocket gun.

fastbolt
07-30-2011, 14:30
Guess I missed this thread back when you posted it.

Congrats. Great little S&W snub.

I liked my original 642-1 so much that when I learned the company had pulled out a few thousand older frames from parts stock to make new 642-1's, I got on the phone to order one. Unfortunately, the company told me that they'd already shipped out all the new guns made from that run, but they suggested a couple of distributors who had received some. I got a LE distributor to find one for me and now I have a pair of 642-1's. ;)

Interestingly enough, I found I actually like my M&P 340 more than my 642. Not because it's chambered in .357 Magnum, but because it offers a couple of optional features I couldn't get with the 642. I looked at it as sort of an "improved" 642, of a sort.

I like the stronger scandium frame.

I especially like the XS front night sight and the U-notch rear sight. I can make faster sight acquisition and hits with the M&P 340 than I can with my 642's, even with the front ramps painted on the 642's. Something about the bright white plastic ring around the front tritium capsule, and the way it nestles into the wide U-notch, makes it very quick & easy to see, especially during fast-paced shot strings & drills.

I like how the gun is a bit lighter than my 642's. It's just enough to be noticeable when carried in a pocket holster. This is done by the yoke being alloy instead of steel and the barrel being the new sleeved design, with an alloy shroud over the steel barrel liner. (The trade off is a bit more felt recoil and torquing in the hand, often felt as the trigger guard hammering up into the bottom of the index finger.)

As a matter of fact, I liked my original M&P 340 so much that I just bought another one, but this time I bought the variation that doesn't have the internal lock. While I've never had an issue with the lock in mine (using either Magnum, +P or standard pressure loads), nor ever personally handled one belonging to someone else that had an ILS problem, or talked with another LE revolver armorer who reported having one with an ILS problem, having a second M&P 340 without the ILS does mean the gun has 5 less parts I have to check during periodic inspections. ;) )

I'll keep the original M&P 340 with the lock for a secondary, meaning it'll mostly see use as a "range beater" as I continue to try and wear it out.

2740dmx
07-30-2011, 16:22
Thanks, everyone. I went shooting yesterday and tried a few different rounds. I'll just say I will definitely not be using Buffalo Bore's +P FBI load again! My hand is still sore. Short-Barrel GDHP were fine, though, so that's what I've got in it now.

Ya! The Buffalo Bore .38+P round does pack a wallop!
I carry it in my Ruger SP101 snub, and it is a perfect round, due to the heavy construction of the SP.

I also use the Speer Gold Dot 158gr .357 magnum loads in the SP, and those will hurt your hand after a box or two goes downrange.
(My hand is sore today, after a couple hundred rounds downrange yesterday...but it had been awhile since I practiced with the snub.

Lately, I am all about the snub, and practicing at nearly contact distances.

SuperSleuth
07-30-2011, 18:20
My 642 is holding up pretty well. The only real hiccup I had was a problem with the extractor rod. It came loose and I couldn't get it tightened; it felt like the threads were stripped. I bought a new rod and everything is fine now. The finish is peeling off pretty bad on the back strap and on the frame under the cylinder latch. The only change I've made since I added the boot grips was replacing the cylinder latch for the older style; it works a little better for the reload technique I use. I'm considering having the chamber mouths chamfered. I've managed to put almost 700 rounds through it so far with quite a bit of dry-fire practice.

I really want to get another one as a back-up in case of repairs as well as to spread out any wear-and-tear. I've thought about getting a 442 for the longer-lasting finish, but I also have concerns about rust, so it's kind of a toss-up.

Warp
08-06-2011, 23:03
Ya! The Buffalo Bore .38+P round does pack a wallop!

It sure as hell does. I received 3 boxes of it last week. After putting a mere 10 rounds through my 642 I ordered a pair of Pachmayr Compac grips. With the stock plastic boot grip (I think that's what that's called) it just plain flat out hurt. I've fired Speer Gold Dots, GA Arms Gold Dots and Winchester's FBI load (all +P) and the buffalo bore +P 158s are in a completely different strata

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/bb0a80b0.jpg

bnkrtstk
08-06-2011, 23:22
I busted my brother's chops when he bought as his only gun. I inherited when he passed away and I carry that more than any other gun I own.

G27Chief
08-07-2011, 17:32

Very nice!

SuperSleuth
08-07-2011, 19:28
Very nice!

Thank you. Unfortunately, it doesn't look so nice anymore. 700 rounds and a few months of carrying in hot, humid weather and the finishing is coming off from the backstrap and the left side of the frame between the grips and the cylinder release latch. Not to mention holster wear from practicing.

It still shoots great, though.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg151/gotlyrics/642-130g-10y-06212011.jpg

I'm particularly proud of this grouping. 25 rounds of PMC 132gr FMJ fired in 5-shot strings at 10 yards, standing, two-hand grip, shooting as quickly as I could maintain a decent sight picture. It was the first 25 rounds of the session and it had been 6 weeks since my last range session. :supergrin:

There's still room for improvement, though.

Warp
08-07-2011, 19:39
That'll do.^^

Do you find your groups to be better at the beginning or end of the session? I usually find I shoot best first thing. The longer it has been since I shot last the less true this is, of course...but generally it seems that mental and physical fatigue set in before long and things go downhill

SuperSleuth
08-07-2011, 20:46
That'll do.^^

Do you find your groups to be better at the beginning or end of the session? I usually find I shoot best first thing. The longer it has been since I shot last the less true this is, of course...but generally it seems that mental and physical fatigue set in before long and things go downhill

Thanks.

I usually shoot better at the beginning. The shots that start going up from the main group in that target were fired towards the end of that particular exercise. However, I find changing exercises help. For instance, after those 25 rounds were fired, I switched to one-handed point shooting at 6 feet, rapid-fire. Inserting some dry-fire exercises help, too. I also try and put a few minutes rest in between exercises. I usually just pace around my shooting area, maybe stretch a little. Then again, I rarely shoot longer than an hour and I keep most of my sessions to no more than 100 rounds total to stave off mental and physical fatigue; I try to keep it even shorter if I'm shooting +P. I try and focus on quality rather than quantity (though I'm not always successful at that).

The other thing that works for me is dry-fire practice. Even if I can't get to the range for a month or more I can usually squeeze in three or four 10-to-15-minute sessions of dry-fire drills per week, oftentimes more than that. Earlier today I did about 30 minutes of dry-fire drills incorporating drawing, "shooting," moving, and "reloading" using dummy rounds.

Warp
08-07-2011, 20:57
That's good. You are training smart.

SuperSleuth
08-07-2011, 23:32
Thanks. I'm just trying to make the best of the limited resources I have.

chuck pullen
08-08-2011, 17:37
Had one, sold it, still regret it.

6StringGeek
08-08-2011, 17:42
Congrats. They are cool little guns. Mine is a firecracker in my hand, but it's doable.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/6StringGeek/642.jpg

voiceofreason
12-17-2011, 16:52
Nice grips!