Can someone review my SBR plans??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can someone review my SBR plans???

Mr. Gekko
01-16-2011, 18:49
Hey everyone, I have done some research on my own and just looking for some feedback from anyone who has gone through the NFA process to make sure I am not missing anything.

I bought a lower a month ago that I tested out with another upper and everything is good. I next plan to have it engraved with my information as the SBR manufacturer. Once I get it back, and I am happy with the work, I'm going to send out the paperwork. Once I have the stamp, I will look around for an upper.

I know it is a no-no to already have an upper in my possession since I have the lower and another AR. If I found a good deal before getting the stamp, would it be ok to have it shipped and stored in a friends safe (who does not own any AR's) until I get it? I know the safest route would be to wait, but I was just wondering if there would be any issues with doing that.

Thanks for any feedback.

Careby
01-16-2011, 19:02
I am not a lawyer, but my general rule of thumb is never to possess a collection of parts that can only be assembled in an illegal configuration. If you have an AR rifle lower and no 16+" upper, do not also possess an <16" upper or barrel. If your lower has never had a shoulder stock affixed, you may be able to configure it as an AR pistol until your paperwork is approved. As far as having an SBR barrel or upper stored at some other location, while it would probably keep you out of trouble, I don't really like the idea.

MisterPX
01-16-2011, 19:30
DO you have a pistol lower? If not, sending the upper elsewhere would work.

Was the SBR lower built form a stripped lower, or a complete? Curious, becasue one of the other ways to test your setup is to use a stripped lower, build your SBR as a pistol, then you know if the upper/lower combo will work. Something to consider for your next SBR

Mr. Gekko
01-16-2011, 19:47
DO you have a pistol lower? If not, sending the upper elsewhere would work.

Was the SBR lower built form a stripped lower, or a complete? Curious, becasue one of the other ways to test your setup is to use a stripped lower, build your SBR as a pistol, then you know if the upper/lower combo will work. Something to consider for your next SBR

I dont have a pistol lower and the one I plan to use was complete. I read about the pistol lower option, but I was not 100% comfortable doing that for my first NFA. I will keep that in mind for the future though. Thanks for the reply. :wavey:

NeverMore1701
01-16-2011, 19:54
You'd be fine storing the upper at a friend or family member's house as long as they don't have any ARs.

Captains1911
01-16-2011, 20:22
nevermind, I misread

rjrivero
01-16-2011, 21:32
You have the answers to your original question. I would recommend you send your lower to THESE GUYS for the engraving. They do it with lasers, so you don't have the sharp edges of the engraver to worry about cleaning and taking the anodizing/oxidizing chemicals inconsistently.

http://www.customizedcreationz.com/services/laserengraving.html

Mr. Gekko
01-16-2011, 22:02
You have the answers to your original question. I would recommend you send your lower to THESE GUYS for the engraving. They do it with lasers, so you don't have the sharp edges of the engraver to worry about cleaning and taking the anodizing/oxidizing chemicals inconsistently.

Thanks everyone! I just want to make sure I am doing everything right since this is will be my first NFA firearm. I appreciate the replies and welcome any more suggestions. :wavey:

lawman800
01-19-2011, 02:43
That was my issue when a buddy was going to jump on some cheap 7" uppers for $300 and I told him don't do it unless you want to chance that "constructive" construction NFA rule since he has a few AR rifles and no pistol lower.

Sucks for me too because I am also missing out on the deal until I find my pistol lower.

boomhower
01-19-2011, 03:00

Make sure they can engrave deep enough. For NFA stuff there is a minimum depth it must be.

NeverMore1701
01-19-2011, 03:42
Make sure they can engrave deep enough. For NFA stuff there is a minimum depth it must be.

From their site:

ATF legal engraving for all types of form's required. The engraving is all laser engraved to a depth of .010 ( ATF requires a minimum of .004 ), so this is well beyond what the ATF requires.

All engravings are $50 and include up to two lines of information.

big_gun_man
01-22-2011, 13:36
What exactley do you have to have engraved in the lower, I am thinking about buying a PTR 91 and then buying an A2 stock to make it an SBR. What all would I have to do, I thought that you just had to apply for the tax stamp and that was it.

Thanks in advance.

MisterPX
01-22-2011, 14:37
You engrave the manufaturer's info (you, if you file teh form 1) Can be on frame, receiver, or barrel. AR's are mostly done on rec. becasue of the ease of swapping uppers.

As to your PTR, I think it'd be easier and cheaper to pick up a HK51 clone, than to have an 18" barrel on a PTR cut dwon with furniture.

bullet3z
02-03-2011, 15:41
You would have to engrave the receiver since this is where the SN is located. There are rules to the size, depth and location that has to be engraved.

Most common way to do it,

T. Bone
your city, state.

or

Mickeymouse trust or LLC
your city, state.

MisterPX
02-03-2011, 17:08
You don't "have to" mark on receiver. See my earlier post.

02-03-2011, 17:20
OP, I'm not sure why you would want to spend the money engraving the info before your application gets approved. If it doesn't, then you just wasted your money, imo.

Careby
02-03-2011, 17:30
OP, I'm not sure why you would want to spend the money engraving the info before your application gets approved. If it doesn't, then you just wasted your money, imo.
It's a good idea so if the engraving is messed up, or the receiver is lost in the mail, you can replace it without additional NFA paperwork & expense. And some worry that once the form is processed the receiver becomes an NFA item and shouldn't leave your custody.

As far as uncertainty whether the application will be "approved", you aren't asking for permission, you're paying a tax.

Glockdude1
02-03-2011, 17:33
Once you have had your info engraved on the lower, it will be very tough to sell in the future, if you choose to sell it. Very few buyers will buy a SBR with someone else's info on it.

:cool:

02-03-2011, 18:35
It's a good idea so if the engraving is messed up, or the receiver is lost in the mail, you can replace it without additional NFA paperwork & expense. And some worry that once the form is processed the receiver becomes an NFA item and shouldn't leave your custody.
To each his own. NFA items go to engraving all the time.

As far as uncertainty whether the application will be "approved", you aren't asking for permission, you're paying a tax.
This is .gov you're dealing with. I don't expect reason and logic from them.

And Glockdudue1 brings up a very good point.

Mr. Gekko
02-03-2011, 20:05
It's a good idea so if the engraving is messed up, or the receiver is lost in the mail, you can replace it without additional NFA paperwork & expense.

That was my opinion as well.

To each his own. NFA items go to engraving all the time.

This is .gov you're dealing with. I don't expect reason and logic from them.

And Glockdudue1 brings up a very good point.

Both of you bring up good points and I appreciate them. Once it is engraved, I know I willl be "married" to it and I accept that. After dealing with the FAA for several years, I do have to agree with your interpretation of government agencies. No standard at all to follow, just each persons interpretation of the reg's.

Thanks for the replies again, keep them coming if you have them. :wavey:

02-03-2011, 20:44
Btw, don't forget, send in 2 applications, one for them to keep, and one for them to send back to you, with the tax stamp affixed.

bullet3z
02-03-2011, 22:32
You don't "have to" mark on receiver. See my earlier post.

You are correct that you do not have to do the receiver only. But I would, since the serial number is on the tax stamp. Per NFA rules you can do the frame, receiver or barrel. But sunce it is easy to switch uppers on the AR I would do the receiver. That way I could then switch to any other upper at any time I wanted to. If I marked the barrel then I could not switch out the upper without getting the new one engraved. Just my opinion and trying to help out the OP.

Careby
02-04-2011, 09:01
Once you have had your info engraved on the lower, it will be very tough to sell in the future, if you choose to sell it. Very few buyers will buy a SBR with someone else's info on it.

:cool:
That's part of the price of playing the SBR game. It's easier and cheaper to "make" an SBR by filing a Form 1 than to buy one from a manufacturer. And if you file a Form 1, it is your info that has to be engraved. On an AR, the lower receiver is as good a part to "ruin" as a barrel or upper, with the added advantage that you can swap SBR uppers all day long without additional engraving. I don't think most Form 1 SBR makers expect to ever sell, and the engraving may even have sentimental value to an heir.