Question about Spikes vs BCM [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Spikes vs BCM

Poolman21
01-16-2011, 20:37
Hey guys, I'm in the process of buying my first AR and my question is, Spikes or BCM upper? I know from the chart and reading on here that the BCM has everything, but what about the Spikes? A lot of people seem to say that Spikes also has all of the best parts and competes with the BCM. So, what does the BCM offer that the Spikes doesn't? I want top quality, and price isn't a huge concern, but if I can save $200 and have a comparable rifle, it might be enough to affect my decision.

Thanks

Captains1911
01-16-2011, 21:11
The only real thing Spikes doesn't have that BCM does is a proven track record and a reputation for running an extremely tight QA/QC program.

This isn't to say that Spikes is not as good, they just haven't been in the quality AR market long enough yet, time will tell.

With that said I would go BCM.

farmer2
01-16-2011, 21:35
I was in the same position 1 month ago. Money was tight so I really wanted to get the Spikes. However, in the end 200 dollars just wasn't enough savings to not get the best. I was so Impressed with the customer service at BCM that I can't imagine ever buying anything else. Emails are answered immediately and products are shipped the day after you order. Absolutely a top-notch company. I would advise the BCM, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Spikes.

farmer

Jer
01-16-2011, 23:55
Not even close... BCM all day. You couldn't pay me to own a Spikes products after the **** they pulled years ago. Without turning this into another Spikes bashing thread I'll just say to search... the info is out there. Or, to make life easy & feel good about what you own, just buy BCM. They're a good company that makes good products and even create new products which are very helpful.

dnuggett
01-16-2011, 23:59
BCM. Are you set on just those two?

Poolman21
01-17-2011, 00:16
BCM. Are you set on just those two?

Not necessarily. What do you think?

boomhower
01-17-2011, 00:39
What's the use? Plinker? Save the money and go with the Spikes. Something more serious and get the BCM, they are worth the premium.

Poolman21
01-17-2011, 01:25
What's the use? Plinker? Save the money and go with the Spikes. Something more serious and get the BCM, they are worth the premium.

I mean all of my guns are hopefully just plinkers, but I want to be able to rely on it for HD or SHTF as well.

Randolph da man
01-17-2011, 04:27
Not even close... BCM all day. You couldn't pay me to own a Spikes products after the **** they pulled years ago. Without turning this into another Spikes bashing thread I'll just say to search... the info is out there. Or, to make life easy & feel good about what you own, just buy BCM. They're a good company that makes good products and even create new products which are very helpful.

this.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-17-2011, 05:13
I got BCM everything and have never looked back or regretted it. A guy at work says it's just another run of the mill AR, but...we all know that the little "extra" they put into their products makes them extraordinary! Nuff said.

faawrenchbndr
01-17-2011, 07:48

this.

Count me in as well,.....while I do own a super reliable Spikes dedicated .22LR upper,
I will never give another cent to Spikes.
Do some research on google, search Spikes vs BCM, I will not post negatives here.

Ugly_Jerry
01-17-2011, 08:57
I have two BCM uppers and am extremely pleased with the quality and reliability. I don't have a Spike's but I have a friend who has one of their midlengths and he loves it.

KDawg0007
01-17-2011, 09:03
I'm on the BCM bandwagon. Great company and great products.

610ck
01-17-2011, 15:27
I have both I haven't shot the bcm yet the spikes is a 16" 1:9 twist midlength the and has been flawless. The bcm is 20" 1:7 twist . I can't wait to try it out. BCM's customer service was ok. I really have nothing to complain about. But it was not amazing either.

K. Foster
01-17-2011, 16:43
You probably won’t go wrong with either, but if you’re looking for the better of the two?...BCM.

madecov
01-17-2011, 17:09
I've got two Spikes builds and a third upper.
No issues and very pleased with all. I have not handled any BCM uppers as of yet. But I'm sure they are very high quality.

DieselNut
01-17-2011, 17:11
I've not seen a BCM first hand but I do have a spike's lower. It seems to be a nice piece for what it is.

KalashniKEV
01-17-2011, 17:17
No question.

BCM.

trlcavscout
01-17-2011, 17:28
Do what I did order the BCM upper you want any configuration. Then order a blem BCM lower, probably cheaper then a spikes and definitley better. I received my blem lower today, not a scratch on it.

fuzzy03cls
01-17-2011, 17:32
I have 1 of each. I see no differences.

jrs93accord
01-17-2011, 17:33
For several years now, I have been buying AR components and assembling them. At one point, I owned 24 assembled AR15s. Now, I only have 17 assembled ARs. I have used upper assemblies from Del-Ton, CMMG, STAG, DS Arms, DPMS, ADCO, Model 1 Sales, and LMT. I have used lowers from Del-Ton, CMMG, RRA, DS Arms, Essential Arms, Aero Precision, LMT, Lauer Weaponry, DPMS, Spike's, and a few others. I even own complete ARs from Colt, CMMG, Sabre Defence, and KMC. I have bought several products from BCM over the years, none of which have been BCM uppers or lowers. I have bought BCM BCGs, of which are top notch. BCM has built a good name for themselves and a good reputation. They carry good products. Their brand name uppers are of good quality, as is Spike's. To choose one over the other is going to a personal choice. Both are good choices. Personally, I would prefer the BCM over the Spike's, if money was not an issue. If money was an issue, I would go with Del-Ton instead of BCM or Spike's. They make wonderful upper assemblies at a fantastic value. Again, it is ultimately up to you.

MrMurphy
01-17-2011, 18:25
I've done business professionally with BCM.

That's where i'd go.

Gary G23
01-17-2011, 18:53
Absolutely positively BCM.

BCSO
01-17-2011, 23:29
......Daniel Defense.

Broncbuster
01-18-2011, 07:30
I have used both and not had any problems out of either. My last build was a Spikes lower with a DTI upper and is actually my most accurate and my cheapest.

Durden
01-18-2011, 23:18
BCM.

If I hadn't gotten the deal I did on my LMT, which has literally been perfect by the way (amazing fit & finish, and the SOPMOD stock is the cat's ass), I'd have gotten a BCM mid.

I'd also love to get a Noveske, but to be honest, I just can't justify the extra cost given the availability of BCM as a hard use rifle for hundreds less than a new Noveske or new LMT or DD.

Daekwan
01-19-2011, 09:57
The only thing negative I can say about BCM is I absolutely hate that huge white logo. I dont know why they've stuck with that, versus a more toned down logo.

Other than that their products, communication, service and warranty is top notch. They've been around long enough to have proven themselves to most people. BCM is Colt-like quality, at a better price and with many more options.

trlcavscout
01-19-2011, 10:02
The only thing negative I can say about BCM is I absolutely hate that huge white logo. I dont know why they've stuck with that, versus a more toned down logo.

Other than that their products, communication, service and warranty is top notch. They've been around long enough to have proven themselves to most people. BCM is Colt-like quality, at a better price and with many more options.

The only white BCM on the one I just ordered was on the upper, and its not to big. I like it.

jedi573
01-19-2011, 11:46
My BCM doesn't have any big white logo.

Andy

Flipz
01-19-2011, 13:55
......Daniel Defense.

+1

About to put an order in for a 10.3 inch MK18 upper once I get my tax stamp back.

RMTactical
01-22-2011, 22:59
The only real thing Spikes doesn't have that BCM does is a proven track record and a reputation for running an extremely tight QA/QC program.

This isn't to say that Spikes is not as good, they just haven't been in the quality AR market long enough yet, time will tell.

With that said I would go BCM.

Well said.

ViennaGambit
08-10-2012, 13:00
Tough tough decision. I just ordered a Spikes and BCM 16" middy upper to see them both firsthand and sell the other off. Only way I will ever feel settled about the decision...

banjobob
08-10-2012, 18:21
bcm all the way

Airhasz
08-10-2012, 18:48
Tough tough decision. I just ordered a Spikes and BCM 16" middy upper to see them both firsthand and sell the other off. Only way I will ever feel settled about the decision...

Damn...your SERIOUS...You will probably just get another lower:rofl:

Walk Soft
08-10-2012, 18:50

Not from BCM.They're not taking orders, and Spike's has a 13 week(at least) lead time.

ViennaGambit
08-10-2012, 19:23

I do have another unbuilt Spikes just waiting to be built up :)

But I can't afford two keep both :crying::crying::crying:

Maybe when I win the lottery :cool:

ViennaGambit
08-13-2012, 21:32
Not from BCM.They're not taking orders, and Spike's has a 13 week(at least) lead time.

You dont know where to shop or are looking at the wrong BCM website - I can list 3 online stores right now with BCM uppers in stock and ready to ship and at least 2 that have Spikes uppers in stock and ready to ship...

G23Adam
08-14-2012, 01:02
Spikes and BCM aren't even in the same league.

I personally wouldn't own anything with the Spikes logo on it.

Walk Soft
08-14-2012, 04:05
You dont know where to shop or are looking at the wrong BCM website - I can list 3 online stores right now with BCM uppers in stock and ready to ship and at least 2 that have Spikes uppers in stock and ready to ship...

Yes,but not lowers.