Mossy 500 recoil w/ 00 buck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossy 500 recoil w/ 00 buck

glockrod
01-16-2011, 20:59
Shot my 18.5" barrel with standard Winchester 2-3/4" 00 buck.

Recoil is pretty stout. Not terrible(for me), but more than my wife will want. Even birdshot has much more recoil on the short barrel. I will try some low recoil rounds as well.

My question is - how much does the recoil reduction stock really reduce felt recoil?
I want to have my wife practice with this gun in the event of the need to use the gun, but if it kicks like a mule, she will be hesitant to pick up the shotty.

Please advise me.

Rod

etravix
01-16-2011, 21:34
I can tell you from experience that using a nice recoil pad will soften the felt recoil greatly. This is the one I use on a 20" Remington 870.

http://www.limbsaver.com/ (http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/products/firearms/recoil_pads/index.php)

>>>

Aceman
01-16-2011, 22:13
For recoil....

#1 if it's an HD weapon, low recoil buck. No need for even regular power at indoor distance. I use these.
#2 The stock helps if you like them. I don't, but many swear by them. Personal issue.
#3 Push/pull technique plus proper pocketing on the shoulder. Honestly, proper technique can do as much or more than the others put together. Pay attention, do this right, and even 3.5 will feel more mild.

But go with whatever combo works best for you. I think a lot of people either don't know how to seat / push-pull or just depend on the stock etc...

All three put together equals one easy shooting gun!

bsg1
01-16-2011, 23:20
I can tell you from experience that using a nice recoil pad will soften the felt recoil greatly. This is the one I use on a 20" Remington 870.

http://www.limbsaver.com/ (http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/products/firearms/recoil_pads/index.php)

>>>

+1 on the Limbsaver.

Glock27NY
01-17-2011, 06:43
Knoxx stock works extremely well but I didnt like the way it looked so I bought Mesa Tactical recoil reducing stock. In my opinion, it reduces felt recoil even more than Knoxx+ you can use any ar15 pistol grip/stock. Its pricey though.

PlasticGuy
01-18-2011, 08:04
I bought my wife a 20ga version of an 18.5" Mossberg 500 combat shotgun. Between the shorter stock and lighter recoil, it is a much better choice than just using lighter loads in my 590a1.

Gombu
01-18-2011, 08:45
I would recommend a youth model 500 in 20 ga.

MacG22
01-18-2011, 12:55
For recoil....

#3 Push/pull technique plus proper pocketing on the shoulder. Honestly, proper technique can do as much or more than the others put together. Pay attention, do this right, and even 3.5 will feel more mild.

But go with whatever combo works best for you. I think a lot of people either don't know how to seat / push-pull or just depend on the stock etc...

All three put together equals one easy shooting gun!

Just like how people struggle with snubs, using the right technique is better than ANY other engineering adjustment you can make. Put the two together and my 120lb wife can shoot 3 inch slugs and have no major recoil issues.

glockrod
01-18-2011, 14:00
-Ok, the push/pull. Works great for me. I am used to it. I dont have a problem with the recoil. My wife, with no other training than what I have given her, is not likely to do well. Mostly because in a high stress situation(you know, the likely one that you would be in when having to use the gun) will cause people to revert back to their worst habits. Namely, I feel that that would be bad for my wife in the event she needed to shoot. After the first round, she could be more scared of the gun than the guy trying to kill her. Although I am aware of the positive effects of stress making you not notice recoil in these situations, I dont want to take the chance.

-20 gauge. I really like that idea, but... a new gun is out right now.

-Limbsaver. I like this, but I feel I would need to shorten the stock a little. Plus it is $40+/- shipped. I am on the fence.

-Knoxx recoil stock. I like this option best, even with reduced recoild rounds. I have no problem with the pistol grip(since I am an AR/AK fan) and I really like being able to adjust length of pull. Only thing is that they are $115+/-, unless I possibly find one used somewhere.

G23c
01-18-2011, 17:38
some training and more range time?

realitycheck390
01-18-2011, 21:30
glockrod, I got a knoxx stock on my 870 and LOVE it. My dad even said he felt like it had less felt recoil than his remington semi-auto 12 gauge. I cant remember the number on it. He loved it and is planning on getting one for his mossy persuader.
I actually got mine for like 86.00 bucks on amazon.com Ill try and find the link for you.

Khao
01-18-2011, 21:42
Another vote here for the knoxx spec-ops stock. My shoulder loves it.

rockriverrenegade
01-18-2011, 22:07
The limbsaver is a great inexpensive way to go. Easy to install and really does help.

a81lp
01-18-2011, 22:08
Another vote here for the knoxx spec-ops stock. My shoulder loves it.

+1, makes my mossberg 500 much more pleasant to shoot

twag4
01-18-2011, 22:17
I have a knoxx spec-ops folder, and I love it. Some complain about reaching the safety, but practice handles that. Definitely less recoil, I can even shoot it pistol grip with the stock folded and it is not uncomfortable for me. The recoil system that Knoxx has is very good.

9MMISFINE
01-18-2011, 22:29
When I do tactical shotgun shooting I use a modified isosceles stance and put my right foot about a foot and a half behind my left and put my weight forward. I try to keep my right foot as strait as possible to combat the recoil. If your wife doesn't shoot alot I would ease her into the hard hitting 12ga.

realitycheck390
01-18-2011, 22:44
Well its 92 but with free shipping, http://www.opticsale.com/blackhawk-specops-adjustable-shotgun-stock-moss-moss-12g-19924-prd1.html

And it is brand new.

glockrod
01-19-2011, 08:06
Talk about a reality check!:rofl: Thanks for the info on that stock. That is the best price I have found on a new one. I am still looking to find something used. I dont see how the stock could be damaged, but is there something to look out for on a used one?

With this info, I think I am going to try the Knoxx with low recoil rounds.

No matter how much I try to show my wife the proper positioning, she is just very unnatural with a shotgun. The only weapon she truly shoots well is a revlver. If I dont make it super easy, it will never happen. The plus side is that the gun will also be very easy on me to shoot as well.

Rod

LEAD
01-19-2011, 08:08
I use a limbsaver and even shooting slugs out of my 500 is a breeze.

JFrame
01-19-2011, 11:06
Another +1 on the Knoxx SpecOps stock. I put one on my Mossberg 500, and liked it so much I also put one on my NEF Pardner. :)

Now I'm considering getting their Axiom stock for a Remington 700 .308 action.

B.Reid
01-20-2011, 11:29
Get some low recoil bird shot loads for her to practice with. If see ever needs it for home defense she will never feel the recoil. Just don't scare her with the heavy loads.

-gunut-
01-21-2011, 02:10
I tried the knoxx and hated it. Uncomfortable, lack luster recoil reduction, and I didn't like how the shotgun moved around when shooting. Proper technique, practice, and a good recoil pad is all you need.