View Full Version : Get-Home Kit

TedG
01-17-2011, 19:13
You never know when.....

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/BOBKIT2.jpg

fivestar
01-17-2011, 19:57
Looks good!

One question, though... What kind of riser do you have for your Aimpoint? I have one which looks similar mounted to my PA Micro Dot. I can't co-witness with BUIS however. My rear sight is also the Magpul sight.

TedG
01-17-2011, 20:07
It's a LaRue and BUIS is exactly in the lower 1/3.

RWBlue
01-17-2011, 20:45
"Get-Home Kit" So you take this every where you go?

What is in the bag?

IMHO, the setup is too pretty. It screams, break me in.

RyanNREMTP
01-17-2011, 20:51
Nice setup. That should get you home no matter where you are.

fivestar
01-17-2011, 20:58
It's a LaRue and BUIS is exactly in the lower 1/3.

Thanks for the information!

TedG
01-17-2011, 21:14
"Get-Home Kit" So you take this every where you go?

What is in the bag?

IMHO, the setup is too pretty. It screams, break me in.

This is the bag that is always in my vehicle and is for the short term.

Firstaid Kit
Light Sticks
Flashlight
Leatherman
Space Blanket
Water
Box of ammo
Paracord
Energy Bars
Garmin Etrex
Compass
China marker
Butane Lighters
Pocket Knife
Laminated Copies of Passport, DL, CCL
Camera
Batteries
G34

RyanNREMTP
01-17-2011, 23:04
A lot of that is what I carry in a black bag in my vehicle. Then I also have a vest that carries my extra mags and a flashlight.

As soon as my wife gives me my allowance, I want to start hoarding money. But I doubt that will happen.

steve1911
01-17-2011, 23:26
Looks good,

1911club#410

Randolph da man
01-18-2011, 05:26
you need some condoms...

to put over your muzzle :D

box of ammo ?
why not a couple of spare loaded Mags ? (clips, for you glockers) :p

jdodd
01-18-2011, 07:15
Is that a fatboy versipack? I have been looking at that style from max but no dealers in the area to get a hands on.

How do you like it? Did you buy the velcro holster option with it? Also, im very interested in how many AR mags you can put in the main compartment?

Also...check your PMs. :supergrin:

-J

JASV.17
01-18-2011, 07:38
Nice rifle, great looking set-up.

Given your location, I'd add some sunblock to your bag, though.

K. Foster
01-18-2011, 08:28
Ted
It’s good to be prepared but what situation do you anticipate having to get home from?

cowboy1964
01-18-2011, 09:35
Where's the 1000 rounds of ammo for the zombies?

TedG
01-18-2011, 15:40
Ted
Itís good to be prepared but what situation do you anticipate having to get home from?

I live in South Florida and it can get a little hairy with near and direct hurricane hits.... power out for weeks; no traffic control; thefts and assaults. Breaking down on Alligator Alley can require hours of some very lonely walking to civilization. There are a lot of reasons, but the best is just simply being prepared.

TedG
01-18-2011, 15:43
Is that a fatboy versipack? I have been looking at that style from max but no dealers in the area to get a hands on.

How do you like it? Did you buy the velcro holster option with it? Also, im very interested in how many AR mags you can put in the main compartment?

-J

Yes, it is a Fatboy. It has the universal holster mount. I don't carry AR mags in it, but it can hold a bunch, I'm sure. Maxpedition is excellent equipment for hiking, etc. Their optional add-ons make the equipment extremely versatile. I buy my stuff on eBay to get the best deals. :wavey:

TedG
01-18-2011, 15:48
Where's the 1000 rounds of ammo for the zombies?

Yeah, that's something that always gets me. I keep ammo around for going to the range. If the day-of-the-Zombies ever comes, I'll only have 140 rounds to carry, not thousands. The guys that think they're going to carry 60 pound packs, a 9 pound rifle, and an extra 1k rounds of ammo are kidding themselves. Light-weight is what my goal has always been.

K. Foster
01-18-2011, 16:33
I live in South Florida and it can get a little hairy with near and direct hurricane hits.... power out for weeks; no traffic control; thefts and assaults. Breaking down on Alligator Alley can require hours of some very lonely walking to civilization. There are a lot of reasons, but the best is just simply being prepared.

Totally agree. Iíve been broken down a couple times, myself. I carry some of the same stuff you do but include mechanic tools (even though Iím not a good mechanic) and warm clothes, this time of year.

ijacek
01-18-2011, 20:59
This is the bag that is always in my vehicle and is for the short term.

Firstaid Kit
Light Sticks
Flashlight
Leatherman
Space Blanket
Water
Box of ammo
Paracord
Energy Bars
Garmin Etrex
Compass
China marker
Butane Lighters
Pocket Knife
Laminated Copies of Passport, DL, CCL
Camera
Batteries
G34

What??? no Spanish-English/English-Spanish Dictionary??? That's Blasphemy!!! ...unless of course you speakee :supergrin:

glock22357
01-20-2011, 18:28
That looks like a decent investment to risk getting stolen out of your vehicle, or if your vehicle is stolen itself. BUt then I'm sure you've thought of that.

I do like the idea though, and it's a very nice set-up.

DieselNut
01-20-2011, 19:34
Here's mine:
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/Josh216_photos/b80426ad.jpg

NeverMore1701
01-20-2011, 19:53
Mine is a 72hr pack, 12ga pump gun, and either my Beretta 92 or Kel-Tec P3AT, whichever is on me at the time. Granted, my commute is only about 3 miles, and my truck is kept up very well, but never hurts to be prepared. I'd like to replace the 12ga. with a rifle (preferably an AR), but they're expensive.

AFPD118
01-20-2011, 19:55
nice set up

cyrsequipment
01-21-2011, 07:41
Here's mine:
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/Josh216_photos/b80426ad.jpg

You're going to get home with only ONE beer? I hope you never get more than 75 yards from your house....

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-21-2011, 13:49
He's got 12 packs buried in the dirt along his escape routes. Duh... I'm making a similar pack. I usually have my glock and 2 mags, Leatherman, pocket knife, camp knife, and trauma kit on me. But once my Diplomat is done, it'll be cocked and locked and ready to go in a seat mount.

Bushflyr
01-21-2011, 14:48
Guys. If you feel you MUST have some sort of long gun in your vehicle at all times either make sure it's a cheap one, preferably purchased at a garage sale, or install some sort of vault. The chances that you'll need a rifle to get home are minuscule, the chances of your vehicle getting broken into and your toys stolen are relatively high.

The Versapack will hold 6 30 rd mags. If you strap on a Rolly Poly dump pouch you've got a great little go-bag. The standard VP doesn't have the holster option, that's the jumbo. While you can fit a compact pistol (G19ish) in the back pouch, it's pretty tight and tends to hang up on the draw. I'll sometimes toss a J-frame in there but it's still not ideal. I much prefer the S-type as it hangs on the left side better.

TedG
01-21-2011, 18:08
He's got 12 packs buried in the dirt along his escape routes. Duh... I'm making a similar pack. I usually have my glock and 2 mags, Leatherman, pocket knife, camp knife, and trauma kit on me. But once my Diplomat is done, it'll be cocked and locked and ready to go in a seat mount.

That's why you need the Garmin Etrex GPS.

DieselNut
01-21-2011, 18:31
You're going to get home with only ONE beer? I hope you never get more than 75 yards from your house....

LOL I thought someone would get a kick out of that. I figured someone would be scratching their head at the nagant revolver.

cyrsequipment
01-21-2011, 18:48
LOL I thought someone would get a kick out of that. I figured someone would be scratching their head at the nagant revolver.

those are nice little guns. I'd have one if I could come up with a decent supply of ammo.

NeverMore1701
01-21-2011, 19:02

They're damned quiet with a suppressor too.

Spiffums
01-21-2011, 19:19
This is what I want a lil Draco for........ and 1k rounds for Zombies LOL.

Quigley
01-21-2011, 23:56
In my truck I always have a large coat, my Glock 27 with three loaded mags, a lighter and a box of ammo. On my person I always have a knife and my P3AT. If I have to head home I dont plan on sticking out like a sore thumb just waiting to get pulled over or harassed. If I need to I can put the G27 on my hip cover it with my coat and stick the box of ammo and the 2 extra mags in my pockets and head on foot if I had to. Otherwise it is at most a 20min drive to my house through back roads where I have all the necessaries waiting for me.

mac66
01-22-2011, 11:00

-J

Just a suggestion, take a look at the 5.11 Push Pack which is similar. I looked at both and chose the 5.11. It has two outer pockets for water bottles instead of one like the fatboy. I had mine for a couple years and it has been handy as both a EDC bag and on jaunts in several foreign countries.

samuse
01-23-2011, 21:30
Cool stuff.

I live in the U.S.A.

My get home kit is an extra fuel filter, spare serpentine belt, spare tire, air compressor and some tire plugs (tools onboard too).

I usually have plenty of water and snacks available too.

DieselNut
01-24-2011, 06:09
Cool stuff.

I live in the U.S.A.

My get home kit is an extra fuel filter, spare serpentine belt, spare tire, air compressor and some tire plugs (tools onboard too).

I usually have plenty of water and snacks available too.

You drive a diesel truck?

samuse
01-24-2011, 07:20
You drive a diesel truck?

seven three:whistling:

nursetim
01-24-2011, 07:46
Besides bushflyr's excellent post, I'll add a camouflaged case to carry the long gun or better yet a sub2000. It fits in a briefcase uses G22 mags ;) and should fill your needs well.

DieselNut
01-24-2011, 08:59
seven three:whistling:

Sa-weet 5.9 here.

Weezer
01-25-2011, 14:46
So you're saying if your vehicle breaks down you are going to start walking to get help with an AR-15 in your hands??

Good luck getting someone to stop and help you while you are holding your rifle.

Quigley
01-25-2011, 16:47
So you're saying if your vehicle breaks down you are going to start walking to get help with an AR-15 in your hands??

Good luck getting someone to stop and help you while you are holding your rifle.

I think he is more referring to if an EMP burst knocks out all the power in the US and his vehicle stops working because of it while simultaneously the hordes of rioters/ zombies start coming out of the wood work and he has to fight his way back to his house.

RMTactical
01-25-2011, 16:50
Good looking setup.

TedG
01-25-2011, 16:54
I think he is more referring to if an EMP burst knocks out all the power in the US and his vehicle stops working because of it while simultaneously the hordes of rioters/ zombies start coming out of the wood work and he has to fight his way back to his house.

FINALLY! SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS!

:whistling:

roar
01-26-2011, 21:11
Guys. If you feel you MUST have some sort of long gun in your vehicle at all times either make sure it's a cheap one, preferably purchased at a garage sale, or install some sort of vault. The chances that you'll need a rifle to get home are minuscule, the chances of your vehicle getting broken into and your toys stolen are relatively high.

The Versapack will hold 6 30 rd mags. If you strap on a Rolly Poly dump pouch you've got a great little go-bag. The standard VP doesn't have the holster option, that's the jumbo. While you can fit a compact pistol (G19ish) in the back pouch, it's pretty tight and tends to hang up on the draw. I'll sometimes toss a J-frame in there but it's still not ideal. I much prefer the S-type as it hangs on the left side better.

I can easily fit 8 USGI magazines in my fatboy. They take up all the space in the main compartment however.