Local shop AR build?'s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Local shop AR build?'s

B_RAD
01-17-2011, 21:18
I'm wanting to get a AR style but have a few questions. A local store is putting some together using S&W lowers with Double Star uppers and parts. I've heard that there are only a few manufactures that make these parts and that some may be made on the same line then sent to S&W, Bushmaster, Colt and so on. Is this true? Does the parts riffle mentioned sound like a good deal for a sub $700 price tag? Are there any brands to avoid?

Thanks

mvician
01-17-2011, 21:24
Parts aren't parts and not every gun store Bubba knows how to put an AR together correctly. I'd personally pass on a "gunshop" build.

zhix
01-17-2011, 22:11
It is true some of the parts of different brands come from the same manufactures, but the guys that will tell you "they're all the same with just different brand names" are either ignorant or trying to sell you crap.

IMO if they are building ARs and selling them for under $700 there is know way quality parts are being used, not to mention building it right like mvician said. And if its a parts gun anyway, don't go buy the name on the lower to judge quality.

I would not buy one of these, but I know people that if you put any two guns side by side that look similar they would go with whichever one is cheaper. You don't have to get top of the line, but you can get something at least decent if you spend an extra $100 or so.

B_RAD
01-17-2011, 22:17
I'm not one of those. I want quality to a certian point. I don't want to spend the 2K on a Wilson but I'll drop 1k for one that is solid. I've been looking at the S&W w/MOE. I've heard good things about BCM and RRA. I had a Bushmaster and liked it. Any suggestions?

trlcavscout
01-17-2011, 22:31
I would spend an extra 150 and get a BCM, or get the S&W ORC on sale in the 750 range.

That said I had a Doublestar 15, shouldnt have sold it. It had a keyhole upper (I know they are all built to different specs, but every AR I have had has had a key hole upper), an H bar barrel and ran as good as my Colt I just sold. I know its not a top tier but for what it was, it was! It was a 1 moa rifle and it was such a good rifle I sold it to a friend of mine.

zhix
01-17-2011, 22:47
Stag Arms and S&W M&Ps are of good quality IMO and have comparable specs. but Stags are usually cheaper. You can have a Stag for under $825 including tax. I can't speak from experience but BCM are supposed to be about the same price range and of higher quality and specs.

I might get an RRA but only if I was having them build it exactly how I wanted it. I have a few years old Bushmaster that is fine for my needs but I have heard enough that I would not buy a current production rifle. Bushmaster apparently didn't get the memo that they are no longer the popular brand of AR and are getting a reputation for worsening quality, seeing as their prices have went up.

jdodd
01-18-2011, 07:32
My 2 cents…

I would avoid any shop that does not have a reputation for excellent customer service and experience with the AR-15 Platform. Almost anyone can slap an AR-15 together…the difference between a bubba gun and a quality build is sometimes a click instead of a bang.

BCM is an all around good choice no matter what you are looking for… You really need to sit down and ID 1) Your exact budget 2) Required specs/features (barrel length, optics, etc...). We can then better help you find a manufacturer / builder to suit your needs.

-J