Unit Supplying Weapons/Ammo for Matches [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Unit Supplying Weapons/Ammo for Matches

ezterra
01-17-2011, 23:53
So, I was on some AKO forum about shooting competition. There is an AR that actually states that your unit can supply ammo and even your issue weapon for civilian shooting competition. I forgot which AR it was, but I can find it again later. However, it doesn't specify what kind of matches are "approved". It does mention CMP, NRA, and other military sponsored matches like Camp Perry. However, I can't seem to get info on if I can get my unit to provide ammo for local matches like USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge/GSSF or tac rifle matches. Does anyone have info on this? If not I might actually try contacting USAMU and see if they can provide me some info. I would really like to get some of my soldiers interested in shooting matches because it really does help with weapon familiarization and manipulation. It also gives you confidence and competence in shooting in a "simulated" stressful environment.

Thanks.

Sgt_Gold
01-18-2011, 00:32
AR 350-66 is Army-wide Small Arms Competitive Marksmanship. This covers policy and where the training funds come from. AR-190-11 is Physical Security of Arms, Ammunition, and Explosives. This covers how you have to secure government weapons signed out for sustainment training events. I was involved in competitive marksmanship and the sustainment training matches with the NYARNG. I'll be moving to a small arms readiness group in the USAR, so let me know if there is any other info you need.

The hard part is going to be getting your unit to let you spend time and funds on non military training. You may want to contact your local IDPA or IPSC clubs and see if you can 'borrow' someone's pistols for local matches. I bought my own Beretta because the Army is never going to give me enough trigger time. You can also look into your state's NG and see if the have an Adjutant Generals Match, and where and when the regional USAR match is held. You can shoot both these matches even if you aren't eligible for awards.

DustyJacket
01-18-2011, 05:55
My unit provided me with an M14, thousands of rounds of linked ammo, and a fargin' heavy steel container, when I was on the rifle team. We competed against Army units and civilians.

For the pistol team, they issued nothing, and we drew it at practice or the matches.

My unit was big into shooting competition.

You just need to find a unit active in such things to give you info. If your unit does not want to do it, then you have a heck of a selling job ahead of you.

ezterra
01-18-2011, 10:38
Thanks for the ARs. I forgot to bookmark it and I wasn't looking forward to trying to google them again. Anyway, I don't think anyone in my command is aware of the ARs. Being in a small unit (<30 people in my company) and having decent amount of funding, I don't think it should be a hard sell to at least get them to provide ammo.

So, provided my CoC is on board with me, there shouldn't be any issue shooting the matches I mentioned, right? The AR does not specify which matches are authorized, right?

Sgt_Gold
01-18-2011, 11:02
Your arms room issue weapons won't be accurate enough the be truly competitive. 600 yards is outside of the maximum effective range of an M16 or M4, even with match ammo. If you can find a club shooting reduced distance matches you can get some good training in with an M16 or M4. Action shooting is good also. IDPA, IPSC, whatever, and you don't have to worry about having a 'tuned' gun.

ezterra
01-18-2011, 13:59
Yeah, I'm thinking more along the lines of action shooting. Last summer I shot a pretty big regional match called "SWAT Rodeo". It was a two day tactical rifle match. You had to be LE or MIL to compete. It had a 600 round count. It would have been really nice to have my unit support me in this. It cost me an arm and a leg for ammo. Not to mention food, lodging, gas... I paid everything out of pocket, and I think I actually represented the Army well. Going into the last COF I was sitting in the top 10 out of 50 some shooters. However, I had a total breakdown and shot the last stage completely wrong resulting in over 100 seconds in procedural penalties. It put me back somewhere in the middle. I can't remember exactly. OUCH!!!