Where to look for police trade in ARs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where to look for police trade in ARs?

brickboy240
01-18-2011, 13:05
I have noticed some here, saying that you can find police trade in ARs for 650 dollars..if you look around.

Since I am guessing this might be a good deal, versus a CMMG bargain bin AR or other lower tier AR, this might be my route to getting an AR-15.

This rifle will be a plinker/range toy and possible back up SHTF gun to my custom AK and a replacement for my aging Mini-14. I do NOT want to spend more than this...if its not possible...I'll stick with what I have.

Any links to places where I might find a decent police trade in AR in the 650 dollar range would be appreciated.

I plan on keeping open sights, so an A2 upper is not a big deal. Something in the Bushmaster Patrolman's Rifle range would be just fine.

Thanks in advance for the info.

- brickboy240

ghostman1960
01-18-2011, 13:35
CDNN had some Colt police trade ins in their last catalog. I don't think they were that cheap though.

brickboy240
01-18-2011, 13:45
I have found a few "buy it now' deals on Gunbroker for Bushy Patrolmans carbines in the 700-725 range. some of these even had detachable handles.

Not bad and definitely what I am looking for and I might have to go this route, if I cannot find anything for 650.

I know...I know...spend another 200, 300 bucks and I could have a _____ but this is just a plinker, knock around rifle...not a SWAT entry piece or a 3 gun match shooter. Its going to ride on my ATV and get rained on and dirty and knocked around and treated like my AK.

650 is my budget but I might have to spend 700. I am also leery of Gunbroker.

Is the CMMG Bargain Bin a better route?

- brickboy240

tx787
01-18-2011, 13:47
I don't think there are that many agencies turning in AR's, in fact there are many still just starting to adopt them. CMMG Bargain Bin is not a good route. I think your best bet is to check local stores and gun shows and maybe some of the larger online dealers that deal in trade-ins like OMB, etc.

mjkeat
01-18-2011, 14:20
I personally have never seen a decent AR at a decent price at a gun show. They are generally overpriced and lower quality. For an extra $100 you can purchase a Spikes complete upper and stripped lower along w/ the parts needed to build the lower from Aimsurplus an

brickboy240
01-18-2011, 15:08
Who is OMB?

(sorry...I come from the AK world....took me a while to figure out what BCM meant! LOL)

I agree with the gunshows....total rip off. I see DPMS and Bushy basic ARs for a grand or so. Lots of "franken-ARs" and other "project guns" no thank you.

The reason I was looking for a police trade in, is because their trades are usually worn on he outside, but hardly shot and like new on inside. I have three pistols that were police trades and they look really worn on the outside but their internals were perfect.

I'll keep looking...

- brickboy240

Wood
01-19-2011, 09:37
Who is OMB?

(sorry...I come from the AK world....took me a while to figure out what BCM meant! LOL)

I agree with the gunshows....total rip off. I see DPMS and Bushy basic ARs for a grand or so. Lots of "franken-ARs" and other "project guns" no thank you.

The reason I was looking for a police trade in, is because their trades are usually worn on he outside, but hardly shot and like new on inside. I have three pistols that were police trades and they look really worn on the outside but their internals were perfect.

I'll keep looking...

- brickboy240

ombexpress.com

huskerbuttons
01-19-2011, 11:17
I personally have never seen a decent AR at a decent price at a gun show. They are generally overpriced and lower quality. For an extra $100 you can purchase a Spikes complete upper and stripped lower along w/ the parts needed to build the lower from Aimsurplus an

^^What he said.^^

faawrenchbndr
01-19-2011, 11:45
The lase one I saw was a Bushmaster Patrolman........40% od the finish was missing.
The Officer selling it worked with a friend of mine in Melborne FL. Honest guy, very few rounds fired.
He was rather firm on the price, for another $175 I could buy a new one.

CAcop
01-19-2011, 13:54
Kiesler's has some LE trade ins from time to time. Summit Gunbroker always has something good on their site, they might get them.

Glockin26
01-19-2011, 23:05

This is what I'm doing. Best part is i bought my lower locally so no FFL and everything else is no tax.