Help! - C: drive partition filling up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help! - C: drive partition filling up

Jumper
01-18-2011, 14:30
My home computer C: drive is filling up and I'm getting low disk space warnings. Its a system I built a couple years ago and is running Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium edition. I partitioned the primary hard drive into C: drive and E: drive. I intentionally made the C: drive partition small ~ 50GB, as I wanted to have only the operating system installed on it. All storage and programs were to reside on E: or one of the other 2 drives. I was thinking that if I ever had to reload the operating system I wouldn't lose any of my programs, files etc because they were not on C drive with the OS. I may have neglected to set some defaults in the OS to tell it to store data on E: drive instead of C: or, my planning was faulty. Either way, I find myself running out of room and the computer is acting pretty sluggish. I think I need to extend the partition on C: drive. I have more physical room on the disk but Windows can't extend the partition into it because it would have to move the neighboring partition E:, and it can't do that. Can anyone recommend a program to extend the active partition containing the OS? Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

IndyGunFreak
01-18-2011, 15:37
You got an Ubuntu Live CD laying around by chance?

It has a partition editor on it, and you can use it to resize your partitions. Just be advised though, from the sounds of what you want to do, this is going to take an enormous amount of time.

IGF

gemeinschaft
01-18-2011, 15:53
I would identify what it is that is causing you to run out of space:

1. Is it a bunch of files that you are saving in your documents folder (MP3s, video, pictures)? If Yes, see below.

If it is simply Videos, MP3s and other media files, you can set up folders on your E drive and simply reroute the default filepath to those partitions.

Here is a link for you to peruse http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/91aa8b26-2b09-4e56-955c-679b297832e1/

2. If you identify that you are running out of space on your partition due to installed programs, that is another ball of wax.

I built a Media Center for my brother that has a 1Tb HD and I partitioned 40gb of space for the OS. I redirected his Documents, Pictures, Music, etc... to the remaining partition and it works great.

Let me know if I can help you out.

JimmyN
01-18-2011, 16:04
Move your 'My Documents' folder (I think with Vista it's just 'Documents') over to the E: drive. That is probably the biggest bulk of your files and taking up the most space.

Then you can just tell Windows the new location for your 'Documents' folder on E: drive, and it will use that location instead of the default location on C: After that when you click on your 'Documents' folder, or a program accesses the folder they will automatically go to the new location on E:

Jumper
01-18-2011, 18:24
Move your 'My Documents' folder (I think with Vista it's just 'Documents') over to the E: drive. That is probably the biggest bulk of your files and taking up the most space.

Then you can just tell Windows the new location for your 'Documents' folder on E: drive, and it will use that location instead of the default location on C: After that when you click on your 'Documents' folder, or a program accesses the folder they will automatically go to the new location on E:

Looks like that worked. I freed up about 5G's. Thanks for the advice.

gemeinschaft
01-18-2011, 18:30
Looks like that worked. I freed up about 5G's. Thanks for the advice.

5Gb's is not that much room, I'd be interested to hear what else you can free up.

IF you use Internet Explorer, when was the last time you emptied your Temp Internet Files?

Jumper
01-19-2011, 05:15
Temp internet files get dumped quite often. CCleaner!
I think most of the storage files have been moved off of C:. The majority of the rest of it is the OS and program files. I may be able to move some programs to E: but that probably means uninstall/ reinstall.

Sgt. Schultz
01-19-2011, 08:24
Check the user temp folder, CCleaner doesn't always empty it. In the Start - Search box type %temp% and press Enter ... this opens the Temp (C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\Temp) folder

Something else you can do is delete your system restore points, launch Disk Clean - More Options tab.

JimmyN
01-19-2011, 17:47
Another thing you could do is move your swap file (virtual memory) from C: drive. I don't know what percentages Vista uses for the swap file, but that would probably free up another couple of gigs. I personally don't like to have the swap file on a drive that is getting full anyway, but that's just me.

Your swap file config should be in your performance settings somewhere. I would defrag E: drive first, before moving the swap file to that drive.

Sgt. Schultz
01-19-2011, 20:27
Another thing you could do is move your swap file (virtual memory) from C: drive ... Your swap file config should be in your performance settings somewhere.

To get there ... Start - Run type "SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe" minus the quotes - Enter

Also if hibernation is enabled you can free up a couple of GB by turning it off. From the Start menu, right click on the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. At the command prompt type “powercfg -hibernate off” without the quotes.

etravix
01-19-2011, 23:33
One last think to check is your system restore settings. You can gain space but deleting unneeded restore points or turning off system restore.

Linux3
01-20-2011, 06:02
My home computer C: drive is filling up and I'm getting low disk space warnings. I intentionally made the C: drive partition small ~ 50GB, as I wanted to have only the operating system installed on it. I was thinking that if I ever had to reload the operating system I wouldn't lose any of my programs, files etc because they were not on C drive with the OS.
Well, this is not a real good plan.
If you have all your applications on \E: and you reload your O.S. you will still have to reinstall all your apps because the registry, after your new install, will not know about anything you previously installed.
True you will not lose your data files and that's good but your programs will be taking up space in a useless way.

Real, real stupid idea that registry.

Patrick Graham
01-20-2011, 16:42
Reduce the percent system restore is using

Jumper
01-21-2011, 07:09
Thanks for all the help. I've got about 8GB free space now.

Patrick Graham
01-21-2011, 07:19
My home computer C: drive is filling up and I'm getting low disk space warnings. Its a system I built a couple years ago and is running Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium edition. I partitioned the primary hard drive into C: drive and E: drive. I intentionally made the C: drive partition small ~ 50GB, as I wanted to have only the operating system installed on it. All storage and programs were to reside on E: or one of the other 2 drives. I was thinking that if I ever had to reload the operating system I wouldn't lose any of my programs, files etc because they were not on C drive with the OS. I may have neglected to set some defaults in the OS to tell it to store data on E: drive instead of C: or, my planning was faulty. Either way, I find myself running out of room and the computer is acting pretty sluggish. I think I need to extend the partition on C: drive. I have more physical room on the disk but Windows can't extend the partition into it because it would have to move the neighboring partition E:, and it can't do that. Can anyone recommend a program to extend the active partition containing the OS? Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

fistpoint
01-25-2011, 05:22
The "problem" can be seen by checking the properties of a folder called "Winsxs". You can find it in: C, Windows.

Vista grows enormously in size after time, mostly the addition of dll files to ensure program functionality with older stuff.

Initial install of Vista 32bit grew from 10GB to 16GB back when I used it. My Vista 64bit I use now is currently at 23.5GB after 14 months and starting at 15GB initial install.

Google "vista winsxs"

Sgt. Schultz
01-25-2011, 05:37
Download TreeSize Free ...

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

... and you can see where all your space is going.

Be sure to download the zipped executable and not the installer, no need to add to your problem.

Jumper
01-25-2011, 13:34
Nice program. Works good. Thanks.

Pierre!
01-27-2011, 06:41
Mmmm.... File Management at it's best!