GLOCK Beaver Tail Backstrap [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GLOCK Beaver Tail Backstrap

Foxtrotx1
01-18-2011, 15:23
Is this a comfort thing? Do many people get slide bite from GLOCKs? :dunno:

I should add that A GLOCK official Beaver tail Back strap was announced today.

Butch
01-18-2011, 15:27
I don't know if there's a lot that do, but I've seen a few.

One friend of mine was often bleeding after a match, it was the rough bottom edge of the slide where the serrations were rubbing on the meaty part of his hand.

tango44
01-18-2011, 15:33
This????
http://shop.gripforceproducts.com/images/1291529430819-716355514.jpeg

http://gripforceproducts.com/

I'm very tempted to try one!

CRUZ CONTROL
01-18-2011, 15:49
The OD ones dont even come close to matching , but my step father has this problem he always gets slide bite some how . Im goint to get him one it could only help Im sure !

civileng
01-18-2011, 16:10
Looks interesting. I might try one sometime.

Joshhtn
01-18-2011, 16:12
Interesting.

bigghoss
01-18-2011, 16:19
my hand came super close but I think I've only gotten nicked once. my hands aren't that meaty though so I can see how it might be necessary.

DWARREN123
01-18-2011, 17:27
I have never had slide bite from a Glock and I wear XL or XXL gloves. May be the way folks grip them.
I have had slide bite from a couple of other brands.

KindaBigBullet
01-18-2011, 17:35
I should add that A GLOCK official Beaver tail Back strap was announced today.

You don't need training wheels

fifty2you
01-18-2011, 17:37
Tagged

Bill Lumberg
01-18-2011, 18:47
This.

MrVvrroomm
01-18-2011, 18:52
There's some twitter traffic right now from the 2011 shot show. Glock is showing a beavertail palm swell for their Gen 4 pistols.

Looking for pics now.

glockvit
01-18-2011, 18:52
Definitely don't need one.

manly
01-18-2011, 18:56
hmmmm...

http://http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i438/onelapbmw/stuff%202/GlockCompact.jpg

PaLEOjd
01-18-2011, 18:57
There's some twitter traffic right now from the 2011 shot show. Glock is showing a beavertail palm swell for their Gen 4 pistols.

Looking for pics now.

Pics are already posted on here in another topic.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306523&page=5

Butch
01-18-2011, 19:00
Pics are already posted on here in another topic.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306523&page=5
This was posted from a member from calguns from from the show.
G17 Gen4 25th Anniversary.
http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/1161018359_z2hay-O.jpg

:)....

Foxtrotx1
01-18-2011, 21:02

Thanks for the suggestion but me and my Gen 3's have a tens of thousands of rounds down range just fine without slide bite. I'm just curious why GLOCK did it.

JACKINMYGLOCK
01-18-2011, 22:50
Dumb Dumb Dumb! Really a beaver tail? Put a dress on your glock if you need a beaver tail!

Butch
01-18-2011, 23:51
Dumb Dumb Dumb! Really a beaver tail? Put a dress on your glock if you need a beaver tail!
You apparently don't care if other people's hands get rubbed raw by the bottom of the slide serrations huh?

Don't worry, you don't have to use one, and consider yourself lucky you don't need one.

JACKINMYGLOCK
01-19-2011, 00:06
You apparently don't care if other people's hands get rubbed raw by the bottom of the slide serrations huh?

Don't worry, you don't have to use one, and consider yourself lucky you don't need one.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

crazymoose
01-19-2011, 03:15
Every 9, 40, or .357 Glock I've ever shot has chewed a groove into the web of my hand if I shoot for more than 50 rounds at a time. I'd definitely go for one of the beavertails.

Bill Lumberg
01-19-2011, 07:32
No substitute for a proper grip, but inexpensive and easy to install if you feel you need one. Let us know what you pick.

trlcavscout
01-19-2011, 07:41
I like how it is integrated into the backstrap. It will help some shooters to get a higher grip which only helps accuracy, I know most people can shoot quarter sized groups at 3yds all day long without it :rofl:It is definitley better then the aftermarket ones that add 1/2" to the grip size.

NDGlock
01-19-2011, 07:50
This is interesting and will be useful to those of us with large hands. I have preferred the Glock 19 grip because the 17 has that hump. My big hands actually hang slightly off the bottom of the G19 grip, which doesn't force the meaty part of the hand up under the slide.

If I get slide bite, it's always when using the 17/22/31 frame.

BuckyP
01-19-2011, 08:14

Seriously, I don't get the beavertail hate, especially when it's O.P.T.I.O.N.A.L.!! Consider how big the beavertail is on an M&P? I for one like the idea. My hands are small enough that I don't "usually" get slide bite. However, when shooting static steel matches (many many draws), I usually have some bleeding before the end of the match.

BuckyP
01-19-2011, 08:17
No substitute for a proper grip, but inexpensive and easy to install if you feel you need one. Let us know what you pick.

Proper grip, as defined by who? I know more than one National Champion whose gotten bitten by the GLOCK slide. Problem is, you can't put an aftermarket piece on in some disciplines. The factory attachment is going to be a welcome addition.

Nakanokalronin
01-19-2011, 09:04
Seriously, I don't get the beavertail hate, especially when it's O.P.T.I.O.N.A.L.!! Consider how big the beavertail is on an M&P? I for one like the idea. My hands are small enough that I don't "usually" get slide bite. However, when shooting static steel matches (many many draws), I usually have some bleeding before the end of the match.

Because anything that infringes on the looks of the beloved Glock has got to be bashed down into the ground. I would like to see Glock come out with a thumb safety model just for the sole reason of seeing 100 posts a month of people pulling their hair out.

I got one of those beavertails linked earlier in this thread for my G19. Why, because about a month ago after shooting my G19 I looked down at my hand at it was cut open and bleeding on the right side where the slide comes back and like Jesse Ventura....I ain't got time to bleed.

I still have a mark there so after seeing those 3rd Gen aftermarket beavertails in a post I decided to try one. It works great and really does not add bulk but keeps my hands far enough from the slide.

People can balk at proper shooting grip but they forget that a proper shooting grip is to get high up on the gun and people with bigger hands may get bit, just like hammer bite on a GI 1911.

If you don't get bit on either platform then great. Enjoy your....http://pinstripebindi.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/burger-king-tiny-hands.jpg

ETA: It was the Grip Force Products backstrap that I put on my G19.

BuckyP
01-19-2011, 09:08
Because anything that infringes on the looks of the beloved Glock has got to be bashed down into the ground. I would like to see Glock come out with a thumb safety model just for the sole reason of seeing 100 posts a month of people pulling their hair out.

:rofl::rofl:

srice425
01-19-2011, 09:19
its like putting an earring in the ear of the ugly kid at school. does it make him look worse? no. does it make him look and better? no. hes still the ugly kid, but now he looks a little different.

glocks will always be the "ugly kids", a dovetail isnt gonna make or break it. itll help some and some wont like it. i think the biggest thing on this forum is that it has such heavy traffic, ppl run out of things to talk about and its alot easier, and sometimes more fun to bash something rather than talk nice about the same damn thing day after day after day... you can only talk so long about a pistol that hardly ever changes.:rofl:

turbo54
01-19-2011, 10:49
I can't for the life of me figure how someone could get bit by a Glock or a 1911. I choke WAY up on any gun I shoot, have big hands and have never been bit by an automatic.

I got bit by my smith 500 once because I had my left thumb pointing forward directly behind the cylinder. Maybe smith oughtta make a wing thing to keep users thumbs away from that spot.

windplex
01-19-2011, 11:15
I am glad glock offered gen 4 grips and now the beavertail the gen 4 will help me even though I don't need the beavertail. I applaud glocks response to our needs.

I suspect originally Gaston may have used his own hand -- and magazine needs -- as a guide for the G17 and so his design started. No bite on him so no need seen for the beaver tail -- no mention on the gov't contract so no feature.

If anyone ever bought from patagonia in the 90's you would notice that the shirts had short arms -- too short. the founder is a midget with short arms. He sure seemed to design it for himself and not for folks like me with longer than average arm length or even average length. Columbia jumped on this opportunity.

My point is humans vary greatly. What fits me wont fit you and so on it goes. Three guys who wear the same size gloves may well have different fits for the weapon. Three 6'5" guys will fit in a car differently due to what parts of their body are long and short.

You can design for 90th percentile of the population's ergonomics (common) so your product fits 90 percent of the population and still have 10% that it does not work for. And some of the 90% it does work for might prefer a different design anyway. Now keep in mind that 10% of the glock hand gun market is a huge niche -- hence the Robars and others who customize Glock frames.

So keep in mind everyone is different and so grip options are out there and popular.

Flipz
01-19-2011, 11:26
Personally I think its a great idea. If I had a Gen4 Id use it even if it brought the grip back to the Gen3 in size as I have no problem with the Gen3 frame. Id say I have average to large size hands. I have never gotten slide bite from any gun but thats not the only reason to have a beavertail.

It also helps when drawing from a holster to get a high grip automatically. My Sig P226 Elite has a beavertail and I find that it guides my hand into a high grip automatically when drawing from a holster.

The addition of a beavertail to the Glock frame certainly is not for everyone. But thats they beauty of Glocks MBS. Different sizes and shapes for different people. Just plug and play with the one you choose. Variety is the spice of life.

Nakanokalronin
01-19-2011, 13:28
I you use gloves, position your hand just right or re-position your hand after every shot then you might get slide bite. I train by drawing from a holster or inserting a mag and getting on target as quickly as possible. If I sat there for a minute and held it just right, I know I could prevent slide bite. Thats target shooting though,which is not the reason I bought a Glock. Glock, the DB380 and GI style beavertails on 1911s are the only guns that bite my hand. Every other gun that I get a high hold on does not do this. Its all in the design.

albinlee
01-19-2011, 13:46

This was my initial impression by far but after further consideration, iI can see how a person with chubby hand fat might have this problem. With that in mind, if this helps keep more people as glock lovers than so be it. It gives the gun a smith and wesson MnP look to it.:upeyes:

windplex
01-19-2011, 14:12
my neighbor's hands look like baseball mits. i'm sure he would get bitten.

Nakanokalronin
01-19-2011, 14:42
This was my initial impression by far but after further consideration, iI can see how a person with chubby hand fat might have this problem. With that in mind, if this helps keep more people as glock lovers than so be it. It gives the gun a smith and wesson MnP look to it.:upeyes:

I see what you did there. Its not only a problem for fatties. :rofl:
I have large hands and really dig my hand up as high as it can go weather its being withdrawn from the holster or just casual range time. If I took it easy or used the Glock with a slightly lower hand hold which goes against the way I use semi-autos, than I'm sure slide bite would never happen. I own Rugers, S&W, Colts, various 1911s, Sig P238, XDs,TT-33, P1 etc and only the Glock 19, a DB380 and GI grip safeties/hammers have bit my hand.

JoeInKS
01-19-2011, 18:32
Guys, I have large hands and even with the largest palm swell I still periodically get bitten by the slide during USPSA, bowling pins, etc. Frankly, that's one of the reasons that I've enjoyed the S&W M&P so much........ I never got nailed by its slide. Up to this point, the only add-on that I had seen for the Glock was, to me, a ridiculous looking contraption. At least the palm swell blends better with the frame on the Gen 4. Thank you Glock for realizing that there are people with larger hands that really like to get as high a grip as possible.

Wastelander
01-19-2011, 18:39

Can't speak for anybody else, but I've gotten slide-bite so bad that I have a permanent scar on my right hand. Was so focused on getting the rounds on target that I didn't notice the slide tearing open my skin.

JML2365
09-01-2011, 21:28

One friend of mine was often bleeding after a match, it was the rough bottom edge of the slide where the serrations were rubbing on the meaty part of his hand.

Who might that be? :whistling: I also have permanant scars on my right hand. I just got back from day one of a two day School and it only took about 100 rounds to start bleeding. Thinking of getting a beavertail on my duty gun.

.38 super
09-01-2011, 21:34
I also had slide-bite when I got my first Glock, never see the "official" Glock beavertail on a actual gen4 pistol...
Love the Grip Force adapter...
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17855449&postcount=2

HotRoderX
09-01-2011, 21:41
I have gotten slide bite a few times when shooting my Glock off hand so beaver tail is welcome addon. When should stores start offering these I would really like to order a set.

SauerChoi
09-01-2011, 21:43
ah gun forums, where all the badass of the badasses come to share their knowledge...:upeyes:

Snaps
09-01-2011, 22:08
They make it for the g4 21 as an intrigated option I'll get one

Butch
09-01-2011, 22:54
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC00956.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC00969.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC00966.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC00971.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC00975.jpg

Brucev
09-02-2011, 05:37
Good idea. Expecting everyone to adapt themselves to one and only one frame shape is a good way for a firearms manufacturer to isolate themselves from the market. Henry Ford discovered that he had to offer more than black cars. Same with any other manufacturer. Glock is using good sense. Don't you wise every other gun manufacturer did?

GlockSlap
09-02-2011, 10:43
Great idea. A buddy of mine got nipped the other day by his 26. Not pretty.

mike g35
09-02-2011, 10:50
:)....
Hey thanks for the info on this guys I NEVER get bit but my father does. He has my a gen4 G17 and this will be perfect for him. Are they made by Glock and legal for GSSF?

Snaps
09-02-2011, 16:53
Now if it'll help me naturally point lower I'll be very happy

ScrappyDoo
09-02-2011, 16:58
Hey Mr. Butch, I have a Gen 3 G23, can I get a beavertail backstrap for mine or is it strictly for the Gen 4's? Thanks much for the info either way.

Brucev
09-02-2011, 18:16
Hey Mr. Butch, I have a Gen 3 G23, can I get a beavertail backstrap for mine or is it strictly for the Gen 4's? Thanks much for the info either way.

I suspect it is specific to the Gen. 4, but sooner or later someone is bound to come up with one for the Gen. 3. It's too good an idea. Hope whoever does it does it sooner than later!

SCC
09-02-2011, 18:18
Hey thanks for the info on this guys I NEVER get bit but my father does. He has my a gen4 G17 and this will be perfect for him. Are they made by Glock and legal for GSSF?
they are made by Glock and legal for GSSF :wavey:

Broncbuster
09-02-2011, 20:21
I suspect it is specific to the Gen. 4, but sooner or later someone is bound to come up with one for the Gen. 3. It's too good an idea. Hope whoever does it does it sooner than later!

Gripforce already makes one for the Gen1,2,3.
http://gripforceproducts.com/GEN_3.html

Lucke551
09-02-2011, 20:33
I put one on my 19 and really like it, it had nothing to do with slide bite it just makes the gun point more naturally for me. Took two minutes to put on and it's inexpensive to boot. Like everything else...not for everyone.
Stay safe...Evan

Brucev
09-02-2011, 20:55
Gripforce already makes one for the Gen1,2,3.
http://gripforceproducts.com/GEN_3.html

Thank you very much for the information and link. I do think this is one modification that I can make on my 22RTF that will give it greater utility to me and my family. Thank you very much. Sincerely. brucev.

Ictinike
09-02-2011, 22:19
Handgun is fine.

Snaps
09-02-2011, 22:40
So when are these expected?

J.P.
09-03-2011, 01:12

While I agree with your sentiment, Butch, I quite honestly cannot imagine a human with a hand that requires a Glock to have a beavertail...

I'm just basing that on the fact that I must have seriously webbed hands......I encounter slide and/or hammer bite on a wide variety of platforms. However, Glock is not one of them.

On the upside, I';m an outstanding swimmer!
:supergrin:

gajones06
09-03-2011, 01:36
While I agree with your sentiment, Butch, I quite honestly cannot imagine a human with a hand that requires a Glock to have a beavertail...

I'm just basing that on the fact that I must have seriously webbed hands......I encounter slide and/or hammer bite on a wide variety of platforms. However, Glock is not one of them.

I personally want one because I own a 1911 and a glock. An when I go to the range and shoot both of them I tend to chew my hand up when I switch back to the glock. So for me it is more about lack of versitility in my grip and since I carry both depending on how I feel when I wake up I rather not be in a situation where I need to react but hesitate because for whatever reason a light goes off an I take the time to re-position my hands. I would love to say that I have learned but I carried 1911s for so long that its more muscle memory to grip a gun high.

J.P.
09-03-2011, 03:07
I hear ya'...

ScrappyDoo
09-03-2011, 07:26
If anyone knows the good deal of what I'm lookin for please msg me, I'd be real appreaciated.

Two actually I'd give one for my POP AND his 2nd gen 19

.38 super
09-03-2011, 07:37
... I encounter slide and/or hammer bite on a wide variety of platforms. However, Glock is not one of them...
Arguing isn't my intention, but I will respectfully disagree with the statement. It did it for me and I'm coming from 1911, GI configuration gun, no beavertail, hammer bites all the time. I had too high grip on the Glock and it gets me almost all the time when I shoot it. After puting the grip Force adapter I don't see such problem anymore. Also, beavertail, with proper grip, reduces little bit muzzle flip and at least in my case - when shooting light, polimer frame pistol as Glock, the beavertail (Gripforce adptr) helped me to get the following shots quicker. Again - works for me, and this is all I care about ...

Butch
09-03-2011, 08:42
Who might that be? :whistling: I also have permanant scars on my right hand. I just got back from day one of a two day School and it only took about 100 rounds to start bleeding. Thinking of getting a beavertail on my duty gun.
Might be a good time to take some hand pictures Jim! If like, you can email some to me and I'd be glad to post them!

JML2365
09-03-2011, 12:17
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb397/jlogan365/DSC02452.jpg
This isn't as bad as it has been in the past. I cleaned my G22 last night after my second day of the class and had quite a bit of blood dried on the bottom of the slide. We shot sim guns on the second day of the training and rifles. Shot less than 100 rounds of pistol second day of training and it was mostly transition drills from rifle to pistol. You can see the scars a little to the right of the current scab. They didn't show up real well. You can also see the opposite side of the slide starting to scrape on my hand closest to the thumb.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb397/jlogan365/DSC02457.jpg

Here is my normal grip.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb397/jlogan365/DSC02456.jpg

TedG
09-03-2011, 13:11
This is my G17 with the Grip Force Adapter. I like it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/IMG_4765a.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/IMG_4774a.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/2011-09-03.jpg

MajorD
09-03-2011, 13:45
I know a big guy with very meaty hands who does get slide bite from time to time. I myself (average to small hands) no matter how I grip (even an old style 1911 with small grip safety) I have never been bitten. Everyone is a little different I guess.

B Coyote
09-03-2011, 14:22

I'll be your imaginary human.

I get side bite on a small scale from standard Glocks, and in the SF configuration on my Gen4 it looks similar to the above posters photos. I have scars on both hands from being bitten.

bc

jamaicanj
09-03-2011, 15:59
I am thrilled with my grip force adapters

Glockz0r
09-03-2011, 16:20
As someone who's dominate shooting hand is prone to slide bite I am very interested in Grip Force's beaver tail. I always have to take a couple seconds to visually re-adjust my hand position after a couple shots to clear my hand from the slide bite zone. Shooting a friend's S&W Sigma .40 was a dream because of the large buffer zone between my hand and the slide compared to my Glock.

Anyone use Talon Grips with the Grip Force addon? Just wondering how it works out in helping keep a firm shooting platform.

Paranoid Medic
09-04-2011, 06:32
I have the grip force beavertail adaptor on my G17. I dont' get slide bite but I do like the looks and it seems to sit in my hand better. I don't know if this is because of the added thickness it gives to the Glock backstrap. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet because I am out of town, but once I get back to Indiana, off to the range I will go.

ViperGlock
09-04-2011, 06:38
I don't personally need a beaver tail but it's a good option to offer.

greenlion
09-04-2011, 07:26
I understand why some would not want one on their glocks, but I think it is really nice that GLOCK gives buyers some options beyond the two simple grip additions. I know I have grabbed too high a grip on my GLOCK 40's in a few IDPA matches and lost a bit of skin. I bet some users would like to see a straight backstrap as well, as many post as I see from people wanting the GLOCK to be a 1911. Options are good..

jamaicanj
09-04-2011, 08:39
As someone who's dominate shooting hand is prone to slide bite I am very interested in Grip Force's beaver tail. I always have to take a couple seconds to visually re-adjust my hand position after a couple shots to clear my hand from the slide bite zone. Shooting a friend's S&W Sigma .40 was a dream because of the large buffer zone between my hand and the slide compared to my Glock.

Anyone use Talon Grips with the Grip Force addon? Just wondering how it works out in helping keep a firm shooting platform.

I use the talon grips along with my GFA on my g35. I had a little trouble getting the GFA on with the talon grip installed so I trimmed away all of the talon grip that sat under the GFA And then the GFA sat flush without issue.

CommackBoy
09-04-2011, 09:22
If you want a 1911, get a 1911. If you want a glock, stay with what glock gave you.

gajones06
09-04-2011, 09:56
If you want a 1911, get a 1911. If you want a glock, stay with what glock gave you.

There is always someone opposed to people taking something and making it suit them as best as possible...tisk tisk

:brickwall:

.38 super
09-04-2011, 10:10
If you want a 1911, get a 1911. If you want a glock, stay with what glock gave you.Thank you Glock! And it is a pure perfection, isn't it ...? One size fits all, for everyone ...
I guess, I'm allowing myself to have a different opinion ... :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

09-04-2011, 10:37
The Glock rep had one he showed us last time he was in town. Pretty cool and a whole lot cheaper than having Robar put one on the gun. Maybe I grip too high or maybe my hands are fat, but shooting glocks without a beavertail always makes my hand bleed.

greenlion
09-04-2011, 11:17

GLOCK is making the Beavertail themselves. It replaces the medium backstrap. The ugly one pictured in the beginning of the thread is an aftermarket deal.

.38 super
09-04-2011, 11:26
GLOCK is making the Beavertail themselves. It replaces the medium backstrap. The ugly one pictured in the beginning of the thread is an aftermarket deal.
Glock makes one w beavertail only for gen4, on the other hand, the ugly-one fits perfectly on the other generations ...

TedG
09-04-2011, 11:29
There is always someone opposed to people taking something and making it suit them as best as possible...tisk tisk

:brickwall:

:wavey: +1

indiegrind
09-04-2011, 11:36
I dont get the jackass comments from those who dont want to add the accessory. Dont frickin add it. Others need it to enhance and enjoy their glocks.

Snaps
09-04-2011, 12:23

Eve build one or work on a 1911? From your statement I would guess not as the two guns are nothing alike and a beavertailed. Backstrap will not change that fact

Snaps
09-04-2011, 12:30
I dont get the jackass comments from those who dont want to add the accessory. Dont frickin add it. Others need it to enhance and enjoy their glocks.

I'm with you here, I just don't get it. I wanted a colt M4 rifle, so I got it. Then put a knights arament free float rail system on it, LMT stock, troy sights, eotech sight, a AAC brake and nobody said anything. My colt 1911 sports parts from Wilson and ed brown and nobody has issues. But you want a new block option for your block and the world has ended

OctoberRust
09-04-2011, 12:57

I have a slight scar from constant scabbing due to glock slide bite. I don't mind scars on my hands, it makes me look more tacti-cool :supergrin:

pens-66
09-04-2011, 13:05

Sorry..but proper grip doesnt have anything to do with if the web of your hand is meatier than others. This option from Glock would be a nice addition for the ones that need it.. And its funny to see just because something doesn't happen to you then its the shooters inability if it does:faint:

pens-66
09-04-2011, 13:23
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC00956.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC00969.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC00966.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC00971.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC00975.jpg

Butch... any word if they will be offered for the 19/23? I'd love to get one for my Gen4 23 as I get some bite from time to time. thanks

BuckyP
09-04-2011, 14:15

Do you mean the 1911 that JMB / Colt "gave us", or the more modernized ones... you know, the ones with the *gasp* beavertail?
:upeyes:

thesid
09-04-2011, 20:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC1RMFVUPJE

Paranoid Medic
09-06-2011, 19:35
Here's my Gen 3 17 with the beaver tail.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z16/LionellMariano/IMG_3535.jpg

Snaps
09-06-2011, 19:47
so, anybody know when we should be expecting these yet?

B Coyote
09-06-2011, 19:57
I called Tech Services today. The gentleman that answered the phone didn't know about them at first, until I told him I'd seen a photo of one. I was put on hold and when he came back he said they know about them but have no idea when they'll be released into the market.

bc

SpyderTattoo72
09-06-2011, 21:38
I'd sure like to have that GripForce for both my G21SF and my G30. But they're not made for the wide frame Glocks... :whistling:

Broncbuster
09-06-2011, 21:43
I'd sure like to have that GripForce for both my G21SF and my G30. But they're not made for the wide frame Glocks... :whistling:

I agree. I would like to try one on my G21.Having shot 1911's and Sig P226 tactical both with beavertails I would like to try one on my Glocks.

amg17
01-04-2012, 06:14
Does this really help control recoil?

Officer's Match
01-04-2012, 06:51
Now if it'll help me naturally point lower I'll be very happy

You might be better off with the Grip Force version for that.

Ryobi
01-04-2012, 07:56
Never knew that. I guess all the ham handed folks I've had who magically stopped getting slide bite by the time they completed firearms training were flukes. To be honest, I've seen slide bite from small hands to big hands. Either way, with proper grip slide bite isn't an issue. That doesnt mean aftermarket beaver tails are bad. They aren't. Just no substitute for a proper grip. Sorry..but proper grip doesnt have anything to do with if the web of your hand is meatier than others. This option from Glock would be a nice addition for the ones that need it.. And its funny to see just because something doesn't happen to you then its the shooters inability if it does:faint:

BuckyP
01-04-2012, 08:01
Never knew that. I guess all the ham handed folks I've had who magically stopped getting slide bite by the time they completed firearms training were flukes. To be honest, I've seen slide bite from small hands to big hands. Either way, with proper grip slide bite isn't an issue. That doesnt mean aftermarket beaver tails are bad. They aren't. Just no substitute for a proper grip.

I know people who have won national championships to get slide bite. :dunno:

Officer's Match
01-04-2012, 08:03
I know people who have won national championships to get slide bite. :dunno:

Yeah, and just think about how great they'd do if someone trained them to have a proper grip.

:rofl:

B Coyote
01-04-2012, 09:50
Never knew that. I guess all the ham handed folks I've had who magically stopped getting slide bite by the time they completed firearms training were flukes. To be honest, I've seen slide bite from small hands to big hands. Either way, with proper grip slide bite isn't an issue. That doesnt mean aftermarket beaver tails are bad. They aren't. Just no substitute for a proper grip.

Yeah...I guess I'd better get new training, then. All those years of training and competition haven't taught me a proper grip.

Dang it.

bc

Bill Lumberg
01-04-2012, 09:55
If you don't want to change your grip, you could always get an aftermarket beaver tail. If the shoe fits, buy it. If any top competitor ever got slide bite, it must be preferable, and could never be wrong. I suggest we start calling it "WINNER's bite". Of course, this means slapping the trigger and red dot sights are going to get a free pass too. It's not my grip, it's my lack of gloves or a beaver tail, Sevigny told me so! It's gotta be a good thing!

Officer's Match
01-04-2012, 09:57
I guess you could say narrow mindedness can cut both ways then.

Bill Lumberg
01-04-2012, 10:00
Good turn of a phrase sir.

B Coyote
01-04-2012, 10:13
If you don't want to change your grip, you could always get an aftermarket beaver tail. If the shoe fits, buy it. If any top competitor ever got slide bite, it must be preferable, and could never be wrong. I suggest we start calling it "WINNER's bite". Of course, this means slapping the trigger and red dot sights are going to get a free pass too. It's not my grip, it's my lack of gloves or a beaver tail, Sevigny told me so! It's gotta be a good thing!

I *HAVEN'T* changed my grip. Never used to get slide bite. Across the years, and a few pounds heavier...slide bite.

I've been trained (both locally and by two known schools, as well as law enforcement training). I'm also an IDPA Master in SSP. I know how to shoot, and I know what a proper grip looks like.

Because you don't have the problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm the LAST guy who thinks bolting goodies onto a gun makes it better. There is a need for these beavertails... I'm good for two.

If that makes me one of your "winners", so be it. :wavey:

bc

Bill Lumberg
01-04-2012, 10:55
Anyone who enjoys shooting and looks for ways to improve is a winner in my book. Regardless of what they do or don't use.

TedG
01-04-2012, 12:49
I believe it's the best accessory I've purchased.

Subaru19
01-07-2012, 19:42
I have heard some great things about the beavertail, slide bite or not. When it comes to Glocks I am still very much an amateur but I have heard some great things about the beavertail, both for reducing slide bite and getting a better gun on the grip. Regardless of whether or not a shooter is getting cut or scratched, it seems to me that getting a higher grip on the gun is almost always a good thing for recoil reduction and improved accuracy- the beavertail is designed with this specific concept in mind.
My only concern as an interested consumer is that the edge of the beavertail might cause some irritation in the palm of the shooter's hand. On the G17 it appears that the beavertail goes down all the way to where the magazine meets the butt of the gun, but on the G19 the backstrap of the beavertail only goes down about half way, about where the center of one's palm would be located.
As a G19 owner, has anyone had any personal problems with the edge of the beavertail ?

bobcatseger
01-08-2012, 08:56
I believe it's the best accessory I've purchased.

I put this grip on my G23 and I did not like the feel of the backstrap (bumps) were a little too gritty on the hand. I merely used my dremel and sanded off the rough texture on the backstrap and made it smooth......I love it now, the beavertail does give you added control on the gun, especially on the G23 .....

Veedubklown
01-08-2012, 09:04
I've only seen a few guys that actually got slide bite from a glock, when using the propper grip. I once saw a dude do an emergency reload then regrip with an X grip... Yeeeouch!

Those dudes that have the serious meat-paws, need the bigger beaver tail. That's cool, don't see why these guys are hatin. You'll put trigger parts and spring kits in, but be like wtf when someone's hand doesn't magically fit the g19? lol.

girphoto
01-08-2012, 18:11

Sorry to say, But today I had a long chat with the head Glock Armorer at the Clearwater Florida GSSF. We spoke about just this topic. The Glock back strap Beavertail.

He said that a few prototypes were made and show at Shot Show 2 years ago.
He than went on to say that Glock is NOT MAKING THEM!
He thinks that it would be a great advancement to the gun and said that enough Glockers write into Glock CS, that they might just do it. He finished with saying that the Gen 4 prototype was made on the LARGE back strap not the medium back strap.

Oh Wheel, I did order one of the after market beavertails because I am tired of giving BLOOD every time I shoot my G26 G4.
Yes, I know that they are made for the G19 G4 but with a little modification I will get it to fit my G26.
:wavey:

B Coyote
01-08-2012, 18:12
That's terrible news.

bc

mjswift187
07-03-2012, 18:16

Looking for pics now.
I saw this today and I want one, no ifs ands or butts, any idea where someone could purchase one??????

black_dog
07-03-2012, 20:26
I saw this today and I want one, no ifs ands or butts, any idea where someone could purchase one??????
Glockstore.com They come two to a pack. The nubs are very sharp. I'm going to take some steel wool and take the edge off.

Jameson4all
07-04-2012, 17:08
The description states that it provides a beavertail and gives the glock a 1911 style grip. I guess for some people who hate the grip angle of the glock, this may be the ticket.

.38 super
07-04-2012, 21:23
Glock will not make his own beavertail backstraps any time soon. They told me this on the last year's and this year SHOT Show, I specifically asked the gentleman at the isle, I forgot his name, but it was mentioned before here by one of the members ot this forum, he spoke with him and basically repeated the same info: They will not manufacture it for now. No other explanation from Glock...

Here is the old thread:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391964

Redfire SVT
07-05-2012, 00:24
All of my Glocks render me slide-bite free!

abcstevemfj
01-11-2013, 15:00
A good option. If it doesn't suit your needs, leave it alone. If it
Works for you, great. The key word is option. A good option.:tongueout::tongueout:

Bugsy2
01-12-2013, 15:07
I went to the Glock Armorer's course last month. The instructor showed us a picture of this and said that they're coming, but he had no idea as to when.

It seems like a no brainer to me for Glock to add this as an option, at least for the Gen4 pistols....

alphabrace
02-23-2013, 17:37
So where can I buy the factory beavertail backstrap? I just bought a G22 gen 4 and it did not come with one.

MaestroDW
02-23-2013, 18:17
You can't yet. Glock-Austria hasn't authorized the sale of the beavertail backstraps as a part option; the only way to find one is to purchase a 2013 or later manufactured gen4 Glock that includes the beavertail.

onebigelf
02-23-2013, 21:25
I have one and like it. It protects my second knuckle and I like the grip. It makes the reach very slightly longer which fits my big hands better and I feel like it gives me a better index. I seat the pistol deeper in my hand because I'm not worried about losing skin.

Try it. They are cheap, easy to instal, and if you don't like it easy to remove with no sign it was ever there.

John

MaDeuce50
02-24-2013, 00:16
i have never gotten slide bite from my glocks. the gen 4 pretty much has a beaver tail though...

meb5955
03-01-2013, 07:47
You can't yet. Glock-Austria hasn't authorized the sale of the beavertail backstraps as a part option; the only way to find one is to purchase a 2013 or later manufactured gen4 Glock that includes the beavertail.

It's not all of the 2013's. I recently picked up a blue label gen 4 Glock 22 with a test fire date of Feb 13, 2013 and it didn't come with a beavertail backstrap . -Just the three different palmswell sized backstraps.

micman777
03-11-2013, 07:17
Glock now has the Beavertail Backstrap kit available from their Parts Store.

Part# 30818 for G17/22/31/34/35/37 Gen 4. Price $16.00

Part# 30819 for G20/21 Gen 4. Price $16.00

BuckyP
03-11-2013, 08:24
So I know I want one, now trying to find a GLOCK 34 GEN 4 without paying gouging prices. :sigh:

spcwes
03-11-2013, 08:39
This probably has to do more with the Generation 4 Glocks and the new grip inserts more so than anything. When we had our first shipment of Glock 22s in we had a few officers (me being one of them) that instantly put the largest grip insert available on them. I did this for many reasons but one was to increase the grip size as much as possible trying to get closer to the Glock 21 grip size as I shoot a Glock 21 almost as good as any gun made.

The very first shot I fired with the grip insert tore my web enough to make it bleed. I was not the only one and almost anyone with decent sized paws there at the range with me that day had the same issue. We choke up on the grip to drop the axis as low as possible for quicker follow up shots and train that way. I am unsure how many but most of the officers I speak with canít use the inserts because of this.

I look forward to our first shipment of the new beavertail inserts.

Colorado4Wheel
03-11-2013, 10:20
Sorry to say, But today I had a long chat with the head Glock Armorer at the Clearwater Florida GSSF. We spoke about just this topic. The Glock back strap Beavertail.

He said that a few prototypes were made and show at Shot Show 2 years ago.
He than went on to say that Glock is NOT MAKING THEM!
He thinks that it would be a great advancement to the gun and said that enough Glockers write into Glock CS, that they might just do it. He finished with saying that the Gen 4 prototype was made on the LARGE back strap not the medium back strap.

Oh Wheel, I did order one of the after market beavertails because I am tired of giving BLOOD every time I shoot my G26 G4.
Yes, I know that they are made for the G19 G4 but with a little modification I will get it to fit my G26.
:wavey:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/2013-01-15_10-46-37_931_zps639729d4.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/2013-01-15_10-45-42_605_zps77b79b41.jpg

From the 2013 Shot Show. Complete package. We actually opened it at the booth. It had the two regular backstraps and the two backstraps with the beavertail. Medium and large.

JBarbaresi
03-13-2013, 07:38
slide bite is not a grip issue, some people's hands are different geometry. as had been stated, just because it is not an issue for you doesn't mean it is not an issue for some.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_20130302_152346_zpsd5935766.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/2012-11-24_13-31-59_733.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/2012-12-18_21-12-15_220.jpg

spcwes
03-13-2013, 07:44
slide bite is not a grip issue, some people's hands are different geometry. as had been stated, just because it is not an issue for you doesn't mean it is not an issue for some.

Don't you dare bring logic into this conversation. We will rule your post as a kneejerk reaction and decide you hate glocks....:whistling:

My slide bite was on the other side of my web. I do not get it at all when using the Glock 22 without the grip inserts but get it while using all the sizes of inserts. We did have a good number of officers with the same issues.

I like the Glock 22 without the inserts just fine but with the large one it fits my hand very well and I am looking forward to my new BT inserts.

spcwes
03-13-2013, 08:07
Glock now has the Beavertail Backstrap kit available from their Parts Store.

Part# 30818 for G17/22/31/34/35/37 Gen 4. Price $16.00

Part# 30819 for G20/21 Gen 4. Price $16.00

Where are you seeing these? I sent our dealer an email to get a few packs of these on the way but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Thanks

ShallNotBeInfringed
03-23-2013, 23:33
Amazon has these made to fit gen 1, 2, 3, all models.

Amazon.com: Grip Force Gen 1, 2 & 3 Glock Beavertail Grip Adapter: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EmMZgUaRL.@@AMEPARAM@@41EmMZgUaRL

Mine came in today, & like these. Makes the grip, just a little bit larger. Does lower your hand on the grip about an 1/8th of an inch, or it does for me. Pack comes with two styles, I chose the larger one.

This is on a Glock 20 with a KRISS conversion mag that holds 34 rounds. Barrel is a KKM match grade.

Grips are

Amazon.com: Decal G20R Rubber Texture Pistol Grip for Glock 1st and 2nd Generation Models 20/21 (Black): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Nn7OD4zEL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Nn7OD4zEL

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8585152702_fb61f8dddb.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8226/8585185808_6d514e8e13.jpg

Z71bill
03-24-2013, 09:15
Do they make beaver tails for cars?

I keep slamming my hand in the door:whistling: - my wife thinks I should just learn how to shut the door properly - but I told her that some people have different sized hands. :tongueout:

She just doesn't understand -

BTW - I should have said Kahr (not car) - my PM9 is the only gun that cuts my hand - not sure if it is from the slide or the little corner at the top of the grip.

If I shoot 50 rounds of +P it always leaves a little cut - right at the place on the bottom part of my thumb where it is just skin and bone - no "meat". :upeyes:

buckeyeglock
03-24-2013, 13:55
First off, I am not trying to touch off a flame party or start a fight.

But, why is it that some people believe that if you modify the grip of you Glock, you should not be shooting them or that it is your own fault?

I ask those people, have you ever owned a handgun that you changed the grips out to fit you better? Or how about a rifle that you changed the stock out? Thumbhole perhaps? Maybe an adjustable monte carlo comb on a tactical rifle? Or how about a shotgun stock with cast built in to properly fit the shooter?

Lets step out of the firearms relm.... Do you own a motorcycle that you changed the handlebars on to fit better? Or maybe a seat that made your back hurt after a couple hundred miles and you added a backrest. The bike didn't come from the factory that way so maybe you just don't know how to ride???

I began shooting Glocks in 2003 with a G19, that I still own and shoot. At that time I used it on the range exclusively and never got bitten. I could take my time and grip the gun so it wouldn't bite.

In 2005 I obtained a CCW in my then home state of Ohio and upon taking the CCW class, and from instruction elsewhere, I noticed that when drawing from concealment, stressed reloading, etc... my grip wasn't always " perfect". I was getting bitten pretty regularly. Now I am not obese. 5"11" and 200 pounds fully clothed. My muscle inbetween my my thumb and forefinger is big pretty strong. Here is a pic of my brand new G30 a month ago before any mods and after an agressive draw from concealment:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01425_zps3d5a98f2.jpg

I started researching beavertails and found Bowie Tactical. Upon looking at pics of the beavertails and joining here, I found Brownells tutorial and was intrigued. I had glass bedded a dozen or so rifles already so I figured what the heck I would try to do it on my own. Here is my G19 and my G20 next to one another after doing the beaveartail in Accraglass and blended with Duracoat on my own.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/glocks001.jpg

I have never been bitten since. The naysayers can say I don't have a proper grip and that is fine. I use my Glocks for CCW and Home defense. IF IF IF I ever have to draw any of my Glocks to defend myself or my family, rest assured myself or the perp are not gonna be worried about my "unperfect" grip. The fact that I can put rounds where I want is all that counts.

Let me show you how its done. Here is my G30 next to G19 right before I started.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01428_zps05cafa4a.jpg

first I roughed up the backstrap with 60 grit sandpaper and cleand with Acetone.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01433_zps996c2da5.jpg

Next I built a dam with modeling clay

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01431-1_zpsfc343e9e.jpg

continued on next post

buckeyeglock
03-24-2013, 13:55
Mixed up the acraglass and poured it in

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01432_zps10ad98cb.jpg

Here it is the next day. You just wipe the clay off the accraglass and go to work with some sandpaper.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01435_zpsf596bd68.jpg

After 45 minutes and finer grits of sandpaper she is just about done. If you look closely you can see where the stock material ends and the beavertail begins.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01440_zps16fcae32.jpg

And here she is finished and ready for duracoat. 1.5 hours total time involved, maybe a tad less.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01441_zps656f4bc5.jpg

And the last pic of myself with another CCW draw. You can really see the difference. I also added some Trijicons as well.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01446_zps6d0ee09b.jpg

So if you don't like it that is fine. I don't mind. If you like it I hope this gives you inspiration to do it on my own if you don't have a snap on beavertail at your disposal.

And here she is after a 5 yard 10 round ( 9+1) magazine dump in pretty short order. Still need to drift the rear sight just a smidge.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01473_zps67b210f2.jpg

ShallNotBeInfringed
03-24-2013, 16:11

I keep slamming my hand in the door:whistling: - my wife thinks I should just learn how to shut the door properly - but I told her that some people have different sized hands. :tongueout:

BTW - I should have said Kahr (not car) - my PM9 is the only gun that cuts my hand - not sure if it is from the slide or the little corner at the top of the grip.

If I shoot 50 rounds of +P it always leaves a little cut - right at the place on the bottom part of my thumb where it is just skin and bone - no "meat". :upeyes:

Poking fun at people that get it, because you don't get it, does what exactly?

You are trying to point our ignorance, but what you have done, is point out your own.

ShallNotBeInfringed
03-24-2013, 16:17
Mixed up the acraglass and poured it in

Here it is the next day. You just wipe the clay off the accraglass and go to work with some sandpaper.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01435_zpsf596bd68.jpg

After 45 minutes and finer grits of sandpaper she is just about done. If you look closely you can see where the stock material ends and the beavertail begins.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01440_zps16fcae32.jpg

And here she is finished and ready for duracoat. 1.5 hours total time involved, maybe a tad less.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01441_zps656f4bc5.jpg

And the last pic of myself with another CCW draw. You can really see the difference. I also added some Trijicons as well.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01446_zps6d0ee09b.jpg

So if you don't like it that is fine. I don't mind. If you like it I hope this gives you inspiration to do it on my own if you don't have a snap on beavertail at your disposal.

And here she is after a 5 yard 10 round ( 9+1) magazine dump in pretty short order. Still need to drift the rear sight just a smidge.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/DSC01473_zps67b210f2.jpg

The Amazon link, is reversible, very little cost, and installs in about 25 seconds.

Your work looks good, but I would not have the balls to alter for all time, a Glock in this way.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8585152702_fb61f8dddb.jpg (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8585152702_fb61f8dddb.jpg)

BuckyP
03-24-2013, 18:21
First off, I am not trying to touch off a flame party or start a fight.

But, why is it that some people believe that if you modify the grip of you Glock, you should not be shooting them or that it is your own fault?

First off..., very nice work you have done.

Many of those that are happy to see this option offered by GLOCK are competitive shooters. Shooting in USPSA Production or IDPA SSP division, you cannot do the modification which you have described in detail. Heck, even the aftermarket bolt on is a no go.

Z71bill
03-24-2013, 18:59
Poking fun at people that get it, because you don't get it, does what exactly?

You are trying to point our ignorance, but what you have done, is point out your own.

Just having some fun. Sorry you didn't "get it"

If I hurt your feelings I am sorry

If your feelings are hurt because I made a joke about Glock Beaver Tails you need some help. :yawn:

JBarbaresi
03-25-2013, 10:43
that grip mod beavertail looks great.

ShallNotBeInfringed
03-25-2013, 12:25

Just having some fun. Sorry you didn't "get it"

If I hurt your feelings I am sorry

If your feelings are hurt because I made a joke about Glock Beaver Tails you need some help. :yawn:

It ticks me off to see people in forums go from stuff banter, to people banter.

Some of us like accessories on our Glocks, mag extensions, aftermarket barrels, trigger jobs, wild finishes, decal grips, etc, and some people seem to talk down to people that like to personalize their stuff.

ShallNotBeInfringed
03-25-2013, 12:29
It looks al shiny and new now, on a 20 year old gun, but given time, I think it will blend in, and look like part of the gun. One option is to Ssilicone it in place. I don't have the balls for that much of a mod. The silicone is recommended for hard use.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8585152702_fb61f8dddb.jpg (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8585152702_fb61f8dddb.jpg)

Z71bill
03-25-2013, 12:52
It ticks me off to see people in forums go from stuff banter, to people banter.

Some of us like accessories on our Glocks, mag extensions, aftermarket barrels, trigger jobs, wild finishes, decal grips, etc, and some people seem to talk down to people that like to personalize their stuff.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you a car? or a Kahr? or a Beaver tail?

Paul53
03-25-2013, 23:05

I wouldn't trust the opinion of a woman who married a guy that can't close a car door properly. Something wrong with her chemtrails. It's irrisputibull.

pens-66
03-28-2013, 07:24
I pick up a new gen4 19 yesterday that has a date of 3-14-13. It has the notch on the frame right behind the slide for the beavertail backstrap. I decide to give Glock a call and ask about them. They tell me that there has been no release of the beavertail backstraps for the 19/23/32 yet. So I tell them maybe they need to check Gunbroker. Why are there many for sale that have these backstraps. My answer was "I don't know
What to tell you,they haven't released them." I guess a picture
Is worth a thousand words!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/D93BA692-FE6D-41FE-81E1-6CC3EA8A92B0-488-0000002B726E41C2.jpg

RLZIII
03-28-2013, 17:57
Not sure who you were talking to, but when I called GLOCK they confirmed that the beavertail back straps are in production right now for all Gen4 models (subcompacts included). They couldn't give me a clear answer on whether or not every new gun going out right now would have them included; but they said that eventually every new Gen4 will.

pens-66
03-28-2013, 18:01
Not sure who you were talking to, but when I called GLOCK they confirmed that the beavertail back straps are in production right now for all Gen4 models (subcompacts included). They couldn't give me a clear answer on whether or not every new gun going out right now would have them included; but they said that eventually every new Gen4 will.

I imagine she didn't know then. I'll see if I get a a response to my email with pics. I'd definately like to have set.

RLZIII
03-28-2013, 18:25
I imagine she didn't know then. I'll see if I get a a response to my email with pics. I'd definately like to have set.

I've contacted a few very popular GLOCK online stores and when I did so (a few weeks ago), none had known about the release of the beavertail back straps. They all said that when they get the chance that they'll get them in stock.

DonMerlin
03-28-2013, 19:04
I put one on my Gen 2 G21 and I like it. Never had slide bite. I just like the way it looks and feels.

TedG
03-28-2013, 19:17
I think it's a great accessory and improves my grip.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/IMG_4774a.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/2011-09-03.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/WarrenSights.jpg

pens-66
04-22-2013, 18:42
I got a set of the backstraps for my gen4 19. Love them!!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/null-1.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/null.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/null-2.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/null-3.jpg

4Rules
04-22-2013, 20:23
I got a set of the backstraps for my gen4 19. Love them!!

Where from?

pens-66
04-22-2013, 20:29
Where from?

I actually got them from another member here that wasn't going to use them. You can now order them directly from Glock but for some reason they say they have them in stock but it takes 3-5 weeks before they ship them. You also can order them from here http://www.rockyourglock.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GLSP30820&Store_Code=RS. I called and she said they do have them in stock,ready to ship.

4Rules
04-22-2013, 21:31
I actually got them from another member here that wasn't going to use them. You can now order them directly from Glock but for some reason they say they have them in stock but it takes 3-5 weeks before they ship them. You also can order them from here http://www.rockyourglock.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GLSP30820&Store_Code=RS. I called and she said they do have them in stock,ready to ship.

Thank you.

4Rules
04-22-2013, 21:37
...You also can order them from here http://www.rockyourglock.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GLSP30820&Store_Code=RS.
I called and she said they do have them in stock,ready to ship.
Glock Gen4 Beavertail Backstrap Kit G23/19/32

http://www.rockyourglock.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/GLSP30820-1.jpg

Quantity in Basket: None
Code: GLSP30820
Price: $29.95
Shipping Weight: 0.03 poundshttp://www.rockyourglock.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GLSP30820&Store_Code=RS (http://www.rockyourglock.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GLSP30820&Store_Code=RS)

donsls6
05-06-2013, 07:42
Picked up my Gen4 23 Wednesday. Mine came with the beavertail backstraps INCLUDED with it. Put on the medium beavertail and love it. Never have been bit though. Love the option.

yubakram
05-06-2013, 15:29
Anyone have an update on the release for the G30 Beavertails, last month Glock stated they were coming. THX

ccoprdc
05-11-2013, 15:20
Glock will not make his own beavertail backstraps any time soon. They told me this on the last year's and this year SHOT Show, I specifically asked the gentleman at the isle, I forgot his name, but it was mentioned before here by one of the members ot this forum, he spoke with him and basically repeated the same info: They will not manufacture it for now. No other explanation from Glock...

Here is the old thread:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391964

And yet I have 2 Gen4 guns that came with the Glock beavertails
as well as the standard backstraps from my local LGS. Someone
forgot to tell Herr Glock he wasn't going to make them. :embarassed:

.38 super
05-11-2013, 16:24
And yet I have 2 Gen4 guns that came with the Glock beavertails
as well as the standard backstraps from my local LGS. Someone
forgot to tell Herr Glock he wasn't going to make them. :embarassed:
:supergrin:.... And your pint is... ?

Look, I'm probably the first-one on GT to post a picture of the G-beavertail and GF adapter from the Shot Show, almost 3 years ago, and I was always wanted to see those in production, Glock was the one bursting my bubbles for for so long and not releasing any info about their intention to manufacture it... As with many more occasions, Glock did not say anything about releasing the beavertails, so I don't undertsand the irony, specifically after this was brought up and discussed so many times in different threads.... You are missing another-one of my resent posts, where I said that I'm happy that was proved wrong about Glock not making it... It took them only 3 years... great, I'm happy now and finally after Glock fixing the RSA, extractor, ejector and now - the grip on gen4, I'll start looking for to buy one... :cool:

ShallNotBeInfringed
05-11-2013, 16:46
Beaver Tails are for Gen 1,2,3 & 4

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7425/8728793907_c31bf5b233_c.jpg

Castello Dunhill
05-11-2013, 18:13
Are they making the beavertails for the subcompacts yet?

Catul
05-13-2013, 09:10

I just picked up my Gen 4 G26 (test fire date 3/19/2013) and, to my surprise, it came with beavertail backstraps! I attached the large one (which I also use on my G17) and it feels great :)

I had no idea that Glock was providing these with the subcompacts, but it looks like the recent ones should have them.

Castello Dunhill
05-13-2013, 18:15
I just picked up my Gen 4 G26 (test fire date 3/19/2013) and, to my surprise, it came with beavertail backstraps! I attached the large one (which I also use on my G17) and it feels great :)

I had no idea that Glock was providing these with the subcompacts, but it looks like the recent ones should have them.

Wow, that's awesome! my next purchase will definitely be a Gen4 27 when I can find one with beavertail backstraps and the good finish on the slide.

.38 super
05-14-2013, 10:37
I just picked up my Gen 4 G26 (test fire date 3/19/2013) and, to my surprise, it came with beavertail backstraps! I attached the large one (which I also use on my G17) and it feels great :). Picture, please ?

domin8ss
05-14-2013, 12:51
I just read this entire thread and want to say thanks to everybody for providing input.

I'm fairly new to handguns and shooting them. I acquired my first handgun almost 2 years ago after my place of employment was robbed at gun point and 2 of my employees had a stun gun used on them until they have up their wallets, wedding rings, and pin numbers for their atm cards. Imo, my employees were more comforted than I was with me carrying a firearm to work. My biggest issue was about not getting much range time to work on proficiency. Just to be clear, I chose the Glock 21C gen 3 after shooting many handguns in various calibers and sizes.

I have recently been able to go shooting more often. I have chosen to wear gloves because of slide bite. I have never experienced this from my Glock, but I have on other guns. Last Saturday, while at the range, I really started to notice issues with grip. The Glock grip seems a little small, thus causing me to adjust my grip a little in order to put get my finger on the trigger. Over noticed after making this adjust the barrel points slightly to the left. All of the posts about the beaver tail making the grip larger is something I'm interested in trying for myself. Hopefully not having to adjust my hold in order to get my trigger finger on the trigger will newer taken care of. Plus, I really like the idea of being able to control the firearm better by having a higher hold.

Btw, I wear size XXL gloves, which feel snug to me. I have been trying to find XXXL shooting gloves, but I'm having much difficulty. Does my glove size indicate I'm a fatass? No. I'm a big guy though. 6'1Ē 285lbs. I workout 3 times per week by either running 3.5-4 miles in ~30:00 or bicycling 16+ miles. Most people look at me and think I'm ~240 lbs. I am naturally big with a large and wide frame. There is plenty of muscle here too. I'm not a body builder, nor am I ripped like one. I'm just fit. So please, those that say people get slide bite because they are fat need to back off. You don't know that for a fact. All people are built differently. I am a good example of this.

As I said, I will be buying the beaver tail and trying it out on my 21C. If it works out I will buy them for my G30S and G36 also. The idea of a larger grip and holding higher without worrying about slide bite are the main reasons for me.

Catul
05-15-2013, 07:54
Picture, please ?

Here's my G26 with the large beavertail backstrap installed; I posted some more images in my post (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20293624&postcount=4694) on the Glock porn thread.

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/1949/img0703rh.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img153/5422/img0702r.jpg

ShallNotBeInfringed
05-15-2013, 10:29
Amazon.com: Grip Force Gen 1, 2 & 3 Glock Beavertail Grip Adapter: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EmMZgUaRL.@@AMEPARAM@@41EmMZgUaRL

ShallNotBeInfringed
05-15-2013, 10:30
Amazon.com: Grip Force Gen 4 Glock Beavertail Grip Adapter: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MlGGKceHL.@@AMEPARAM@@41MlGGKceHL

ShallNotBeInfringed
05-15-2013, 10:45

Yes,

Amazon.com: Black 26-27 ** New Custom Made Gripforce Gen 1 2 3 Glock Beavertail Adapter Only Fits 26 27 33: Everything Else@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sXvE1IQeL.@@AMEPARAM@@41sXvE1IQeL

spcwes
05-16-2013, 07:54
Yes,

Amazon.com: Black 26-27 ** New Custom Made Gripforce Gen 1 2 3 Glock Beavertail Adapter Only Fits 26 27 33: Everything Else (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Custom-Gripforce-Beavertail-Adapter/dp/B007W8MBE6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1368635353&sr=8-5&keywords=glock+beaver+tail)

If you have the option of a gen 4 with the glock manufactured inserts go with them, they are night and day better than these.

Batman355
05-16-2013, 09:54
MY G19 Gen 4 test fired 01/18/13 came with the beavertails. I've never had slide bite but tried the new beavertail and decided that I like the way it feels and will leave it installed. The only blood I've ever drawn (pinched) was slaming in a magazine.

ShallNotBeInfringed
05-16-2013, 10:50
If you have the option of a gen 4 with the glock manufactured inserts go with them, they are night and day better than these.

Agreed, but most of us do not have gen 4 Glocks. My Gen 2, works great with the GripForce accessory.

.38 super
05-16-2013, 11:07
Here's my G26 with the large beavertail backstrap installed; I posted some more images in my post (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20293624&postcount=4694) on the Glock porn thread.

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/1949/img0703rh.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img153/5422/img0702r.jpg
Thank you very much ! The little -one looks absolutely great ! Best regards!

pens-66
05-25-2013, 03:48
Just thought I'd post this video for those that say that some of us have a grip problem because we are getting slide bite. Maybe you can tell these three big names that they don't know how to grip the gun ;-)

http://youtu.be/f7ViI2UWFKg

domin8ss
06-12-2013, 21:34
For those that are interested, these fit on the G30S. Now there is a subcompact that won't chew our hand up. I will get pics when I have more time.

For those that question me on calling a G30S a subcompact instead of a compact as Glock claims, I can show you side-by-side comparison photos. These firearms are exactly the same size, expect the G30S has a wider grip to allow for the double stack magazine. They are exactly the same in every other way with the G36. Oh, one more thing. The G30S has a rail for accessories such as Glock's tactical light. The G36 doesn't.

domin8ss
06-18-2013, 20:26
I finally got around to installing the beaver tails from Grip Force on the G30S and G21C. It was very easy to install on the G30S, while I had a bit of difficulty on the G21C. I used the smaller beaver tail on the G30S and the larger one on the G21C. This was solely my preference based on feel. I originally bought 2 packages because I wasn't sure I was going to use the same one on both firearms. Since I don't have a need for the second package I'm going to offer it up here for $20.00 shipped. That is a minimum of $5 savings when you consider the price with shipping cost on Amazon. First person to paypal me money wins. PM me for the address so that this thread doesn't get jacked.

navycrewbrother
06-22-2013, 12:13
I just got a new Gen 4 G27 ($438 OTD, hell yeah!) Mine also came with the backstraps. A few observations:

1) Love the way it feels! I feel like I can get a much better grip with my thumbs naturally where they want to be. I've only gotten bitten by a Glock slide once (right after I declared to my brother, a Sig guy, that it never happens to me), but the slide sure seems to come close (size 12 gloves, for reference)

2) Hate the way it looks! The edges of the backstrap don't seem to "blend" into the frame. It's very clear this is an add-on. I'm one of the few who thinks Glocks look good, but this certainly detracts. Maybe some people will be able to melt the edges.

3) I fits solidly. The little lip on the back of the frame keeps it in place, even before you put the pin in. I really want to get one for my G19, which I use for IDPA, but it was made too early to have the lip on the back, which would result in it kind of flapping.

That brings me to my question. What does everyone think of using a drop of loctite to hold the beavertail up against the back of the frame?

pens-66
06-24-2013, 19:59
What does everyone think of using a drop of loctite to hold the beavertail up against the back of the frame?

I would try using a black silicone (RTV) first. It's easier to remove should you need to.

spec357
06-25-2013, 17:12
I just got a gen4 G19 yesterday. Got some free range time with purchase, put 100 flawless rounds through it but didn't mess with the grips...Today i put the medium Beavertail on and man it's stayin....I love the way it feels!...I gotta go back to the range this weekend!

robertwhite
07-10-2013, 15:59
And for my 1st post........................... :supergrin:

I have been lurking for a while and just had to jump in on the conventional Glock grip vs. Glock beavertail grip bandwagon.

Bear with me for a little backround.

Having many years of handgun experience (LEO) and many thousands of rounds fired, my last foray into Glocks was right around 20 yrs ago when the G27 first came out. Absolutely hated the gun. Grip never really "fit" me well and wound up selling it shortly after I bought it.

At some point years ago, I held a G17 and still hated the grip. :winkie:

I have always been a .45 1911 kinda guy, and have carried a custom shop Kimber for many years, but recently I started giving a lot of thought to the "what if it doesn't go bang" theory and even though I have NEVER had a FTF, FTE or any other malfunction with my Kimber, it just felt like the time was right to look at a "plastic" gun. Along came the Gen 4 Glock 19.

The Gen 4 felt a whole lot better than the older Glocks I had tried and knowing I could always sell it, I had my guy get me one. The thinking behind the G19 was my wife could shoot the 9mm and I could always get a G30s if I liked this gun.

It felt pretty good at first in my hand, but when I put the medium beavertail on it, it was like a whole new gun. It feels very familiar due to the 1911 and after I put 75 rounds down range, I was in love. Point shooting from concealment at 7yds was spot on and follow up shots were right on without even thinking about it.

Gun functioned flawlessly, and the beavertail felt awesome. Couldn't really care about the "bite" vs. "no bite" of the slide, I am just used to a secure grip with a beavertail.

Purists can say what they want, but in this world of gun makers giving customers options, Glock has hit a home run IMHO.

It may look a bit odd to see a Glock with a beavertail, but let me tell you, it just plain works.

Just my couple pennies worth..................

pens-66
07-10-2013, 16:59
I agree with you 100% robertwhite!! Great first post. I absolutely love the new Beavertail option. I use the med Beavertail backstraps and love the way it feels and points. Glock made the already great G19 all that much better!

kev50alaskan
07-10-2013, 18:26

No not at all, I have huge hands and get slide bit a lot from glocks so a beavertail makes sences

sfguard
07-11-2013, 12:32
I love the way it makes the grip feel. I am sure it doesnt cost Glock but a few pennies to make them but the result is worth alot more IMO. It brought me back to my Glocks for sure

Genin
07-11-2013, 12:35
I don't get bit a lot but do get rub on occassion (I wear a size XL glove). I have a grip force adapter on my Gen 3 and use the factory large beavertail backstrap on my Gen 4. An added benefit I found is that I get a better, more repeatable, grip under speed/stress with the beavertails. YMMV.

SMF 22
07-13-2013, 20:00
I Know Frank Royce from Grip Force Adapter. He is one stand up guy withy a Great American product that actually works!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a Grip you get with the Grip Force Adapter. You won't be dissapointed.