failure to feed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : failure to feed

brisk21
01-18-2011, 21:39
Ok just for the record im not trying to start a ****storm here. I just want to know from someone who actually knows what they are talking about what the most common reason is for a failure to feed in a 1911 pistol. Again, I love the 1911. I own several and mine have been 100% reliable since 500round breakin. Just wondering is it typically the mag spring being too weak, limpwristing, or something else.

Mayhem like Me
01-18-2011, 21:56
Most likely Magazine issues, the 8.00 part is the most likely culprit.

Anything from bad follower ,spring tension, catch cut too short, feed lips messed up....

guymontag
01-18-2011, 21:59
I don't know the most common reason, but here is someone who knows what they are actually talking about:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=51276&page=1

Hilton Yam lists potential and typical causes.

I hope that may help.

PhoneCop
01-18-2011, 22:03
The most common reasons for failure to feeds are failure to ejects, failure to extacts, and failing to properly insert the magazine.

At least I find that if I insert a magazine and don't have a failure to eject or extract the damn thing feeds every time.

(not that I have failure to extract or ejects, sometimes I forget that magazien thingy)

Ruggles
01-18-2011, 22:11
Just so I can have a say.

Extractor tension can play a part.

:)

PlasticGuy
01-18-2011, 22:20
1) Magazine
2) Ammunition
3) Extractor

In my experience, these three things account for 90% of the ftf's in 1911's.

Cobra64
01-18-2011, 22:24
Ok just for the record im not trying to start a ****storm here. I just want to know from someone who actually knows what they are talking about what the most common reason is for a failure to feed in a 1911 pistol. Again, I love the 1911. I own several and mine have been 100% reliable since 500round breakin. Just wondering is it typically the mag spring being too weak, limpwristing, or something else.

Why not try process of elimination to narrow down the cause? :)

brisk21
01-18-2011, 23:04
Because I don't have a problem. I just want to learn a little more about the 1911. I figured it was usually mag related but I wanted to hear what you guys think.

GOOFA
01-19-2011, 06:03
Do yourself a big favor when breaking in any firearm. Use known quality ammo that has never been known for being marginal or good enough for the shooting range. Inexpensive ammo like Federal Champion is great for the range but when it come to diagnosis or breaking in a new firearm or any serious shooting, stay away from inexpensive ammo, it may leave you with false indications that your firearm is having failures. These cheap ammo's meet the very minimum specs and you can feel the difference between Champion and the next step up like American Eagle. With the high cost of ammo, we all like to get the most for our dollar, myself included. But when breaking in a new firearm, use an above average ammo that will give you reliable feedback.

COLDSTEEL165
02-01-2011, 01:19
Cobra mags from Virgil Tripp will solve any FTF problems with any kind of ammo, worked for me.

samuse
02-01-2011, 02:09
I think the most common cause of FTFeed is out of spec feed ramps and/or "match grade" chambers.

Followed by every different combination of homemade ammo, spring weights and wadcutter mags.

This works 100%:

-G.I. spec chamber
-properly tensioned and radiused extractor
-in spec 230 grain FMJ
-23lb mainspring
-16lb recoil spring
-Stock Colt sear spring
-G.I. spec full tapered feedlip mags
-9 1/2lb mag springs
-properly lubed with Breakfree CLP

ArmoryDoc
02-01-2011, 07:42
I think the most common cause of FTFeed is out of spec feed ramps and/or "match grade" chambers.

Followed by every different combination of homemade ammo, spring weights and wadcutter mags.

This works 100%:

-G.I. spec chamber
-properly tensioned and radiused extractor
-in spec 230 grain FMJ
-23lb mainspring
-16lb recoil spring
-Stock Colt sear spring
-G.I. spec full tapered feedlip mags
-9 1/2lb mag springs
-properly lubed with Breakfree CLP

This is it. Pretty well covers all the bases. Mag lip geometry and spring tension are way up there.