Kimber External Extractor.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber External Extractor..

silversport
01-19-2011, 04:56
would you buy a used Kimber 1911 with an external extractor???...

used Kimber 1911 with external extractor...current owner says he has had absolutely no issues with his external extractor on this pistol...I have read all the horror stories on Kimber's EE but have also read that many with them that haven't had any issues yet...won't...

Some report that IF they did have issues, a trip back to Kimber might yield them a new slide (an any other parts to make it right) but this is a gamble too as Kimber might only do this out of good will since the standard warranty does not extend to the subsequent owner's...

How do you feel about refinished pistols as well...?

There are two warning flags for me...EE and refinish unless I know the seller, I always wonder "What is the refinish potentially hiding." and the aforementioned EE possible issues...

...price is decent on the alloy'd frame one I saw but...just curious on what you guys thought or had experience with...I have a Kimber Custom II that has had no issues and I don't fall in the Kimber hater camp...(and the fact that I currently believe there are two warning flags SHOULD guide my thoughts but... ;) )

Bill

Rinspeed
01-19-2011, 04:59
There are so many used Kimbers for sale why bother with one that has an EE. How many rounds does he have through it.

faawrenchbndr
01-19-2011, 05:15
I had a Kimber with an external extractor. I upgraded the extractor spring
to a Wolf extra power one,....never had a single issue.

Kimber will replace the slide free of charge with a non-EE if requested

silversport
01-19-2011, 10:24
thanks for the feedback guys...certainly both sides have merit...
Bill

Rinspeed
01-19-2011, 10:27

I'm not sure that is the case on a Kimber purchased used.

asiparks
01-19-2011, 10:30
To echo Rinspeed's comments, unless it is a ridiculously low price, (another warning flag), or a super collectable piece, (which would be moot after a refinish), why buy this one ? There are zillions of used Kimbers out there from which to choose....

As far as replacing the slide, i probably wouldn't mention I wasn't the first owner. If they let a non functional pistol out, then they need to fix it regardless....

faawrenchbndr
01-19-2011, 10:47

Dang good point,.........never thought of that. :wow:
Good catch.

manly
01-19-2011, 10:55
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=247035

http://http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i438/onelapbmw/cc/4extractors3.jpg

http://http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i438/onelapbmw/stuff%202/4extractors.jpg

ambluemax
01-19-2011, 14:11
Since its not your first time around the 1911 block and you've had good expirence with Kimber, I'd say go for it and deal with issues IF they surface.

As far as the refinish...what could they be hiding? If nothing else you could always send it off to be properly refinished however you want.

samuse
01-19-2011, 14:39
I just wanna ask a question.

Has any gun in the history of modern firearms ever had a reputation for being less reliable than a Kimber with an external extractor?

Seriously.

ambluemax
01-19-2011, 15:05

Has any gun in the history of modern firearms ever had a reputation for being less reliable than a Kimber with an external extractor?

Seriously.

How do you define modern?

Tucson_1
01-19-2011, 15:46
I had a Kimber TLE II that I bought used with an EE. At the time I was not aware of the issues being reported with EEs. I was fortunate not to encounter any issues with it myself. I had several thousand rounds through it when I got rid of it to fund another project. It's the only gun I've ever put back on the market that I regret having let go... I have sort of missed some others but I REALLY wish I still had that pistol.

silversport
01-19-2011, 16:47
thanks guys...there are too many red flags for me...you brought up the obvious that there is a large pool of Kimbers to choose from...why get this one...the price is not THAT good (even the price I was thinking of offering)...it was local but I cannot count on Kimber to "good will" me a new slide (...and why should they?) should this one prove problematic...lastly...it was an alloy frame and the refinish might be hiding something so why chance it...

Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback from everyone...

Bill

samuse
01-20-2011, 05:55
How do you define modern?

Not sure really.

I do think that Kimber took the most critical part (that's also the weakest link) of a 1911 and made it worse than it already was.

bac1023
01-20-2011, 06:13
I probably would not. Kimber's EE was never perfected.

I'm a big Kimber fan, but I'd look for one with an IE.

stumpjumper
01-20-2011, 06:21
My son bought a used Kimber with the external extractor-broke after about 25 rounds- and Kimber told him they wouldn't replace the slide unless he was the original owner, but send him a replacement extractor-he sold it ofter he got it fixed.

gogriz91
01-20-2011, 18:00
I did used and have had no problem with it after 2000 rounds.

Berto
01-20-2011, 18:14
Over 2K though mine, no problems. That's the internet for ya.

silversport
01-21-2011, 05:43
...not just the internet...Kimber tried modifying their design at least three times and then gave up on it as problematic...even replacing the slide (and other parts) on so many because of problems...that's from Kimber...not the internet...

...I work with a buddy who carries the Kimber Eclipse Custom II with the EE and he has had zero issues with at least a couple thousand rounds so far...so that was not a deal killer for me...I was more concerned with what a pistol refinish (and Guncote at that) on an alloy'd receiver might be hiding...maybe nothing...maybe something...I have refinished pistols just for asthetics myself so that too was not a deal killer...

...anyway...the BIGGEST deal killer was it got sold before I made an offer...:animlol:

Bill

Rinspeed
01-21-2011, 06:06
Over 2K though mine, no problems. That's the internet for ya.

That and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee. :whistling:

Agent6-3/8
01-21-2011, 08:28

Seriously.

To be quite honest, I have a hard time thinking of a one with a poorer reputation than Kimber's in general. I'm not bashing Kimber, just speaking from my experience of owning, reading and talking with people.

USAF 94535
01-21-2011, 14:10
I had a Kimber with an external extractor. I upgraded the extractor spring
to a Wolf extra power one,....never had a single issue.

i had a used kimber and they said the factory warranty is voided when sold used. so i could not get them to fix a bad extractor. i paid a local smith to fix it. kimber has horrible customer skills.

silversport
01-22-2011, 04:11
many companies offer the warranty to the original purchaser only...it is not a secret that Kimber does as well...I don't lame Kimber for having this kind of warranty...but I have heard MANY stories of Kimber covering something even when they didn't need to warranty it...sorry yours didn't work out with Kimber but it sounds as though you got yours sorted out...

Bill

Rinspeed
01-22-2011, 04:16
kimber has horrible customer skills.

What would expect from a bunch of New Yorkers. :dunno:

telecster
01-25-2011, 10:35
I also have a Kimber Pro Eclipse II no issues with other 1000 rounds..

margo
02-18-2011, 07:33
glad I found this thread, I was looking into a kimber tonight. Not sure which extractor but at least I know to look.