Benelli M4 and Nova questions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M4 and Nova questions.

mlyon55
01-19-2011, 13:11
Went to the local toy store today to find something that I just had to have. Luckily this store does not have the basic idiot behind the counter but seasoned hunters and officers that do know a little. They showed me a Benelli M4. Wow :wow: looks to be a solid gun then I had to do a double take on the price. $1600 Now I do not mind paying these kind of prices for a worthy firearm, but what makes this thing so much better than my 1187p? I know that it has the recoil reducing deal in the stock and the 1187 may not be a fair comparison. But I need someone to justify this to me so I can have an excuse to buy it.

The same question goes for the Nova tactical pump. What makes it better than the 870?

I love my Remingtons haven't failed me yet in the feild or competition. But what makes these Benellis so much better? Not looking for answers such as thats what the military uses or the price tells you its better. Looking for an actual comparison from someone who has shot these guns. I would even throw the Mossy 930 spx into the bunch. I do not own one but you all have convinced me that it too needs a place in my safe. So help me out here tell me the difference other than surface scratch stuff.

BTW not trying to make this a pissing match between the two or three guns just looking for first hand opinions. Even if I buy one I will always be a Remington guy when it comes to birds or bumps in the night the 870 or 1187 is what I will be grabbing.

mpow66m
01-19-2011, 13:43
''The same question goes for the Nova tactical pump. What makes it better than the 870?''

I own a Nova pump and have had no probs w/ it.Shoots well.Put a mag ext. on it,sling, and side saddle and a BBL mounted FLght. use it for HD and with a few minor adjustments my slug gun for hunting.I wont say its better than a 870 but i will say its just a reliable.The 870 is a legend and deserves the praise.What i like about the Nova is the shell stop button on the forestock.Plus you can pinch the rnds. right out of the the SG without manipulating the pump,u nlike the 870(atleast the ones ive used).870 has tons of barrels for little cost,wanted to get a new barrell for Nova.....cost more than the Shotgun.but overall the Nova ia an reliable shotgun and worth money.On the otherhand you have to think as an 870 as you would a Glock or AK-47,reliable,inexpensive parts and alot of em,indestructable and it earned its reputation in combat afar for decades and in hunters homes and has saved many a homeowner from things that go bump in the night.

mlyon55
01-19-2011, 15:19
And thats the way I feel about the 870 as well. I do like the forearm latch on the Nova that was a good idea on Benelli's part. Just trying to figure out if I am bettering my situation with one of these or am I getting something just as good or reliable as the Remingtons. :dunno:

blaster_54738
01-19-2011, 16:09
I got my SuperNova Tactical over another 870 or Mossberg 500 because they both felt cheap to me. My 870 also wouldn't feed all the time, I'd be at the range pumping away on the slide and nothing would get chambered. Not very good in a home defense situation and I tried everything I could think of, took it to a trusted gunsmith and he had no idea. My SN has fed everything I've put to it and never had a hiccup. Now my 870 was probably a fluke but it rubbed me the wrong way so I went with the Benelli

mixflip
01-19-2011, 17:27
Well I went with the Benelli SNT because of...

its rugged polymer outer shell (very Glock mag like),

its 3 lug rotating bolt head (very AR like),

its chambering for up to 3 1/2" shells

its mag selection button to allow the user to drop in a specialty round without
unloading a round from the mag,

its GRS which actually did really good for a 18" self defense shotgun, the other day shooting clay pigeons, lol.

its recoil system built into the buttstock,

its included sling swivels,

its ergonomics, its got that Italian sexiness going on in my opinion,

its shell elevator that "stays up" when loading. No thumb bite like on the 870 spring loaded elevator!!!

its super easy field strip compared to my Mossberg's action bars that always flopped out when I went to reassemble it,

its location of the safety "in front" of the trigger which is instinctive and easy to reach,

its location of the slide release button "in front" of the trigger which isnt easily accidentally hit like it was on my Mossberg.

The only thing I wasnt in love with was the price which is classic Benelli but as they always say in the AR15 world... you get what you pay for. Buy once cry once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKIUaiLc0yU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlTrx8c-eOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3eruJ1QMLU field strip

MacG22
01-19-2011, 17:33
Nova pump system is absolutely worth it. The Switch is a brilliant design that everyone will be copying one day. Further, it is the epitome of simplicity. You can break the whole thing down, without any extra tools, in just seconds.

I've owned them all and love the moss and 870s. Nothing bad to say about them. But if comparing them like this, there are just too many things the benelli offers to turn it down if you find a good price.

Same for the autos. I own a nova pump and the m2.

mpow66m
01-19-2011, 18:14
Benelli=future,870=past:supergrin:

mlyon55
01-19-2011, 19:44
Hey this is great guys. So the next pump will be the SNT, but whatabout the M4?

Please keep them coming this is exactly what I was looking for.

MacG22
01-19-2011, 20:05
I have an M2 that I love. Truly. It's been amazing. But I haven't compared it to the semi rem or moss. It's my only experience. However, it is definitely LOVED.

mlyon55
01-19-2011, 20:38
Well whats the difference in the M2 and M4?

BBJones
01-19-2011, 21:09
Well I went with the Benelli SNT because of...

its rugged polymer outer shell (very Glock mag like),

its 3 lug rotating bolt head (very AR like),

its chambering for up to 3 1/2" shells

its mag selection button to allow the user to drop in a specialty round without
unloading a round from the mag,

its GRS which actually did really good for a 18" self defense shotgun, the other day shooting clay pigeons, lol.

its recoil system built into the buttstock,

its included sling swivels,

its ergonomics, its got that Italian sexiness going on in my opinion,

its shell elevator that "stays up" when loading. No thumb bite like on the 870 spring loaded elevator!!!

its super easy field strip compared to my Mossberg's action bars that always flopped out when I went to reassemble it,

its location of the safety "in front" of the trigger which is instinctive and easy to reach,

its location of the slide release button "in front" of the trigger which is also to easily accidentally hit like it was on my Mossberg.

The only thing I wasnt in love with was the price which is classic Benelli but as they always say in the AR15 world... you get what you pay for. Buy once cry once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKIUaiLc0yU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlTrx8c-eOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3eruJ1QMLU field strip

+1 Only other thing I would like to add is the SNT does have a relatively long length of pull. If you like to stand relatively square and have short arms, it may be to big for you. Other than the LOP issue for some people it is well worth the little extra money.

ScrappyDoo
01-19-2011, 21:11
diff between M4 and M2 is the operating system or the action etc.

M2 = recoil operated aka "inertia driven" , this requires the "recoil" off the shooter shoulder to produce the "inertia" to work the action ... Reliable but also capable of not working if say you limp-shoulder it and don't give it some force to recoil against to get it moving. Also the M2 is avail in a field version in addtion to a Tactical version ( the benelli m2 tactical is probably the sexiest firearm I've ever handled... Ohhh baby!)

the M4 is Gas operated aka "ARGO " aka Auto Regulated Gas Operating, Benelli's gas deal.

BBJones
01-19-2011, 21:13
Well whats the difference in the M2 and M4?

M2 = inertia driven
M4 = gas system

tons have been written about the pluses and minuses of each. Google is your friend on that.

mlyon55
01-19-2011, 21:45
Google is your friend on that.

Yeah but I try not to believe everything I see on the internet or TV. I just wnated to hear from some first hand shooters of the two guns. Definently liking what I see on the SNT. The M2 would be out I do not believe my wife or any of the children could handle the inertia system.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

triggerjerk
01-20-2011, 08:43
Keep saving for the M4.
You won't shoot your other shotguns once you get it.

I haven't shot my Nova since I picked up an M4.

mixflip
01-20-2011, 23:09
I shoot both my Benelli pump and my 930SPX fairly equal but I love my shotguns equally too so I guess thats not normal? lol.

Bowtie
01-20-2011, 23:35
I've shot my sons issue M4 and in my honest opinion, it does nothing my Mossy 930SPX wont do..His dept bought them with the understanding they would cycle less lethals....NOPE. Many on his dept that have shot my 930 says if they had to buy them, they would get the 930SPX.. I am in no way saying its better than the M4. I'd love to have one just to say I have one but I'll never pay 1500 for it.

deserttactical45
02-04-2011, 21:01
Hands down the Benelli M4 is the best semi auto shotgun on the market with that argo gas sytem. I own a supernova tactical and i love it awesome shotgun. I wouldnt say its better than an 870 but its just as reliable for sure. You cant go wrong with either gun they are both well made, reliable, and effective weapons.

polizei1
02-23-2011, 14:47
There's a reason the Marine Corps uses the M4. It's awesome! Super easy to clean too, I love it.

mdfd
02-23-2011, 14:55
I found an M4 for $1210 brand new at my local dealer. Not sure if I want to pay even that much at this time, but it sure is a sweet boomstick! Only thing I do not like about it is it's limited capacity in stock form. Sure an extended mag tube can be added but parts for Benelli are typically very pricey and IIRC you will need to make sure of 922(r) compliance if you go that route...

SGT HATRED
02-23-2011, 15:02
I just picked an M3 today! I'm so happy I found another 1. I traded my other M3 about 6 months ago and have missed it ever since...
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/2011-02-23141614.jpg

PlasticGuy
02-24-2011, 20:06
I've got a lot of time on combat shotguns, both at work and on my personal time. The Benelli M4 is one that I wanted for quite a while, but resisted due to the high price. I finally bought one, and I love it. It is one of very few guns I've owned that actually live up to the hype. It's just as reliable as my M1 and M2, but with much less recoil. It's also less finicky with lower powered ammo.

furioso2112
02-24-2011, 21:56
SNT = under $400 out the door
similar ergonomics and quality as the M4 (which is touted by every person I have talked with as the most fun shotgun they have ever handled)

which costs $1600.

For me and my use, I'm good with my SNT, + ext. mag, + Mesa tactical rail and + Mesa Tactical shell holder, etc. still enough better of a deal for me than the M4.

But I'll love me an M4 one day.