Best front post for night duty [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best front post for night duty

ruffhunter
01-19-2011, 17:07
Title says it. I was thinking about Truglo TFO or an Ashely small dot or the thin tritium post. Just want something bright, but hold a good tight group if possible. thanks ahead

deputy tom
01-19-2011, 17:13
Good post.I'd like to know too.tom.:cool:

Gunnut 45/454
01-19-2011, 17:59
I doupt you'll get anything on this -but I'd like to know as well! I've not seen anything along the iron site line for AR's ! Everyones into the rails and hanging crap off them vs using irons!:whistling:

Agent6-3/8
01-19-2011, 18:12
I once had a department issued M&P 15 with a tritium front post. I liked it quite a bit.

surf
01-19-2011, 18:56
We use the Trijicon front sights. They are a bit more of a PITA when zeroing however.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=CP25F (http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=CP25F)

AmeriGlo makes a similar one to the Trijicon and for flip up / BUI sights check out Troy.

mvician
01-19-2011, 20:17
I've put a XS 24/7 big dot on my KISS carbine that I'm putting together now.
I'm not worrying about 300 yard groups with this front sight post :supergrin:

http://www.xssights.com/store/tactical.html

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/ColtSOCOM/IWC010.jpg

MrMurphy
01-19-2011, 23:38
If you are restricted to irons, XS front stripe.

Nothing beats an Aimpoint/white light combo though, and i've used basically all of them.

I've used the XS white stripe on leverguns in the dark with and without illumination. And i've run M16A2's in the dark with basic irons and a handheld light. Compared to a weaponlight in a dedicated mount with an Aimpoint? No comparison.

If at all possible, upgrade to an optic. And i'm a guy who used solely irons for nearly 20 years till i was kicking in doors daily for a while.

Minnow
01-20-2011, 01:05
Lets think about this for a second, and others feel free to jump in and correct me as I have no experience with "illuminated" iron sights on a rifle.

You can see that neither a tritium dot or tritium stripe will come all the way to the top of the iron sight, so the dot or stripe will become your new aiming point rather than the top of the blade like on the GI sight. If you sight in off the top of the blade and then attempt to use the tritium your point of impact will be different. How much, You'll have to see. At close range which is what the tritium is for, it might not make much difference. I'd like to know the difference in point of impact at say 20-25yds. Also attempting to shoot off the dot or stripe at 100yds in daylight seems like it would be a difficult exercise as the rest of the sight blade above the tritium or white outline is blocking the target.
Myself, I'd opt for a dedicated white light and use the existing iron sights. As soon as the light comes on, your standard iron sights are instantly visible. You might even try painting your existing sight flouresant orange if you are just wanting something easier to see. I did this to my FAL front sight and it helps some and cost me about $3.50.

ruffhunter
01-20-2011, 07:31
Good Point Minnow! I had thought about that too. I am really leaning towards the Ashley stripe and the TFO as I research off this forum. Cant miss that big dot MCVICIAN. Good input guys

AK_Stick
01-20-2011, 07:43
Having used a iron sighted weapon, at night. My first advice would be get a red dot, and a light.

More than likely, it will be so dark, you'll have a hard time picking up the front sight, through the rear, and then find the target. Much less doing it in a hurry.

However, failing that, I'd go with a Troy tritium front post, and matching flip up tritium rear sight. With some sort of light ofcourse.

MrMurphy
01-20-2011, 08:15
The tritium rear will be too close to your eye and tend to fuzz out everything with the illumination.

Stick with front only. I didn't think so till i used some during a night shoot. Could not see much less hit a thing with front AND rear tritium.

Minnow
01-20-2011, 15:24
Good Point Minnow! I had thought about that too. I am really leaning towards the Ashley stripe and the TFO as I research off this forum. Cant miss that big dot MCVICIAN. Good input guys

XS is leaps and bounds ahead of Truglo in both quality and durability. The XS is cheaper to boot. Truglo only offers a 90 day warranty and once it's out, you are on your own. I've owned products from both companies and I will not own a Truglo anything. The stuff is junk. The TFO idea has been around for years, but the execution of production is a joke in my opinion.

BlackPaladin
01-22-2011, 14:37
What about the fiber optic fronts out there?

Minnow
01-22-2011, 14:58
What about the fiber optic fronts out there?

They make a brighter aiming point at dusk and dawn. During daylight hours, they are obnoxiously bright for a rifle sight. This makes shooting at distance more difficult as the target becomes obscured. If you get one, get the shortest one you can find because unless it is protected in a tube like an Acog, the longer the piece is the easier it is to snap off on a tree,etc...

BlackPaladin
01-22-2011, 15:00
Good to know! Is there a perticular brand that you would recommend? I am doing an all irons wild boar hunt in May.

Minnow
01-22-2011, 15:06
Good to know! Is there a perticular brand that you would recommend? I am doing an all irons wild boar hunt in May.

For my pig hunting in the thicket I use a XS Systems threaded peep with white striped front sight on a 44 marlin lever gun.

In the context of an AR-15;
I wouldn't use a fiber optic sight post. They simply are not durable enough in the field and they suck at longer range precision. I'd either get a XS striped front in white, paint the GI sight in flouresant orange, or just use the existing irons sights and use white lights including handheld spotlights if legal at night. A low powered optic would be better if you are open to a suggestion, unless you plan to go in the thicket chasing them. In a case like that, the XS with white stripe (0.80") and your rear peep aperture (large) would be the shiznit as far as iron sights go. The GI front sight is 0.65" if I remember correctly, so the .100 XS would seem too big to me on a rifle with distance capability.
I'd prefer something bigger than a 223 cal though if you go in the thicket after them. For hunting from a fixed position such as a stand or whatever, 223 is great simply because you can pick your shots and your not stuck in tight cover.

ruffhunter
01-23-2011, 17:44
I'm leaning towards the thin stripe Ashley and a fixed Troy on the back. For yotes I'll add a scope that I can take off. thank to all...

smokin762
01-23-2011, 18:26
The tritium rear will be too close to your eye and tend to fuzz out everything with the illumination.

Stick with front only. I didn't think so till i used some during a night shoot. Could not see much less hit a thing with front AND rear tritium.

I once read that if you use rear night sights on your AR, those rear sight dots look like giant limes up close and they become very distracting.

Beeman
01-24-2011, 00:10
I have a tritium front post on my AR and a light mounted on the rail. Putting a tritium sight on the rear is going to look like you have two blurry balls on your sight when you aim.

NeverMore1701
01-24-2011, 04:48
I have a tritium front post on my AR and a light mounted on the rail. Putting a tritium sight on the rear is going to look like you have two blurry balls on your sight when you aim.

Eh heh heh. :rofl: