Which is higher quality -- Les Baer or Ed Brown? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which is higher quality -- Les Baer or Ed Brown?

Freedom101
01-19-2011, 20:31
What are the pros/cons of a Les Baer and Ed Brown 1911? Which is more reliable?......more hand fitted or more consistant build quality???

Any info is appreciated.

Quack
01-19-2011, 20:34
Ed Brown is a nicer overall package.
If you are looking for a hard use gun, then the Baer.

I prefer the Springfield Custom Shop guns over either of them.

Ruggles
01-19-2011, 20:41
Quack gives good advice. I prefer m Brown over the Baer I had. I sold the Baer after I got the Brown as I felt the Brown was a better gun IMO. I prefer Wilson over both I think, hard to say whihc I would buy next a Brown or Wilson. Really can not go wrong with any of the guns mentioned so far IMO.

P.S. Stay away from flat triggers on 1911, they are for guys mostly trying to compensate for lack of "something" physically :)

GJ1981
01-19-2011, 21:03
I won't say which is "best" overall since it's subjective.

Baer

Pros - Kart barrel, usually cheaper in price, can be ordered with 20 LPI checkering. There quite a few high round Baer's floating around, they seem to hold up pretty well.

Cons - Fewer options, lousy sights (IMO)

Brown -

Pros - More options, nicer bluing

Cons - Will cost a little more than a Baer. I've seen quite a few Kobra Karry's with tight extractors. If you want to count it.

bac1023
01-19-2011, 21:07
Browns are more refined for sure.

Baers are tighter, generally speaking. I tend to prefer the way Baers shoot for me, at least.

Both are great 1911s.

R0CKETMAN
01-19-2011, 21:09
Easy, for the money, aka ROI, Baer. Why you ask? Just as good or better than a Brown for quite a bit less.

Officer's Match
01-19-2011, 21:13
Compared to a Les Baer, Ed Brown's aren't hand fit. That is not necessarily bad - Brown's are pretty much home made from CAD design to final assembly. But if a hard fit and hand fit is what you want, a Baer is much more in line than a Brown.

HAIL CAESAR
01-19-2011, 21:24
I won't say which is "best" overall since it's subjective.

Baer

Pros - Kart barrel, usually cheaper in price, can be ordered with 20 LPI checkering. There quite a few high round Baer's floating around, they seem to hold up pretty well.

Cons - Fewer options, lousy sights (IMO)

Brown -

Pros - More options, nicer bluing

Cons - Will cost a little more than a Baer. I've seen quite a few Kobra Karry's with tight extractors. If you want to count it.

Good post.

It is really like this;

Do you like vanilla or chocolate ice cream? Both are great but different, depending on your tastes.

quantico
01-19-2011, 21:29
I think both are well made accurate high end 1911's. I think the ed brown looks better and has a higher attention to detail. I think the baer is more suited to rough use as a duty gun. The baer starts out very tight. The brown feels extremely smooth and moves easily.

glock2740
01-19-2011, 21:41
:popcorn:

AZ Husker
01-19-2011, 21:42
I've had both. The Brown is much more refined and smoother. The Baer was a bear when new it was so tight. I'm amazed it even fed ammo. It did loosen up with use, and probably lapped itself into a perfect fit. A friend wanted a higher end gun, so I sold him the Baer. We never bonded like I did with the Brown. Resale value is much better with the Browns.

PlasticGuy
01-19-2011, 23:38
Browns are more refined for sure.

Baers are tighter, generally speaking. I tend to prefer the way Baers shoot for me, at least.

Both are great 1911s.
I've got two Baers and one Brown, and I agree with this completely.

While my Brown is smoother and a little better finished, my Baers shoot better for me. I would buy another Baer in a second. While my Brown is not for sale, I don't think I will ever feel a bond with it like I do both of my Baers. Of course, it's all subjective. The very next post might be a guy saying the exact opposite.

MD357
01-19-2011, 23:53
I prefer Baers, but honestly, either will be reliable, accurate and last longer than 95% of people care to shoot it.

DAT85
01-20-2011, 04:58
I have 4 Baers and 1 Brown so I guess I am little biased in this but I will admit that the level of finish(bluing anyway) is better on the Brown products.As far as accuracy,I shoot the Baers a little better than the Brown.

Customer service wise,Brown eats Baers lunch.

I had a slide flattened and serrated a trigger job sights replaced and the pistol re-blued and back in my hands in 1 week from Ed Brown. :wow:

Regards,
DAT85

TSAX
01-20-2011, 05:03

samuse
01-20-2011, 06:51
What makes some people think that a Baer would be better suited to "hard use" than a Brown?

bac1023
01-20-2011, 06:58
It is really like this;

Do you like vanilla or chocolate ice cream? Both are great but different, depending on your tastes.

Well said, Al. :cool:

bac1023
01-20-2011, 07:03
What makes some people think that a Baer would be better suited to "hard use" than a Brown?

I'm not sure that they are. However, they do have much more the feeling of a "working man's" 1911 than a Brown does.

That's just my opinion, of course.

RMA
01-20-2011, 07:34
I have 3 Baers and love them all! The Baer product shoots very well for me since day one. No Brown's but I would consider the Kobra Carry but would probably be farthest on my must have list at the moment.

NDLAWRENCE
01-20-2011, 07:43
P.S. Stay away from flat triggers on 1911, they are for guys mostly trying to compensate for lack of "something" physically :)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Officer's Match
01-20-2011, 13:14
I have had a few of each, loved them all, and honestly preferred the Baers. I don't believe that Brown hard fit's the barrels like Baer does, and I like the hardness of the steel in Baer's slides and frames. Both are great though.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-20-2011, 13:24
I personally do not WANT a 1911 built as tight as the Baer's I have seen. I really like my Brown. I can take everything apart without a bushing wrench, but the gun is very accurate and built well.

bac1023
01-20-2011, 13:40
I personally do not WANT a 1911 built as tight as the Baer's I have seen. I really like my Brown. I can take everything apart without a bushing wrench, but the gun is very accurate and built well.

Come on, wrestling with a bushing wrench is part of the fun of high end 1911 ownership. ;)

I actually need one for several of my 1911s, not just the Baers.

gpo1956
01-20-2011, 13:43
I'm not sure that they are. However, they do have much more the feeling of a "working man's" 1911 than a Brown does.

That's just my opinion, of course.

I'm sorry, but what, exactly, is a working man's gun and what makes Baer more so than the Brown? Other than personal preference and price, there is not a lot of difference between any of the semi-customs. Baers are normally tight, the others not so sight. Hard-fit is an old AMU term for a method of barrel fitting. It does not necessarily denote being tight and hard to manipulate. They mostly use different versions of the same parts to manufacture. I've never had a physical problem with any of them, although I do have personal preferences for certain parts, such as MSH's and grip and thumb safeties. Ed Brown can be a ***** to deal with, but then again, so can Les Baer. You'll probably never find yourself on the phone with Bill Wilson. Baer's are typically more accurate with a certain load than the Wilso's or Browns, but I've found that the Wilsons and Browns are generally more accurate with a lot of different loads than the Baers. Personally, I think the Baer is the best buy and most gun for the money, but on every one I've owned, I've spent additional money changing out parts to suit my personal tastes, so it pretty much becomes a wash for me. But I really would like to hear what makes the Les Baer a working man's gun.

bac1023
01-20-2011, 13:57
I'm sorry, but what, exactly, is a working man's gun and what makes Baer more so than the Brown? Other than personal preference and price, there is not a lot of difference between any of the semi-customs. Baers are normally tight, the others not so sight. Hard-fit is an old AMU term for a method of barrel fitting. It does not necessarily denote being tight and hard to manipulate. They mostly use different versions of the same parts to manufacture. I've never had a physical problem with any of them, although I do have personal preferences for certain parts, such as MSH's and grip and thumb safeties. Ed Brown can be a ***** to deal with, but then again, so can Les Baer. You'll probably never find yourself on the phone with Bill Wilson. Baer's are typically more accurate with a certain load than the Wilso's or Browns, but I've found that the Wilsons and Browns are generally more accurate with a lot of different loads than the Baers. Personally, I think the Baer is the best buy and most gun for the money, but on every one I've owned, I've spent additional money changing out parts to suit my personal tastes, so it pretty much becomes a wash for me. But I really would like to hear what makes the Les Baer a working man's gun.

Its just an opinion. Its more a feeling than anything concrete.

It feels more "raw" and less refined. The checkering is uneven and clearly done by hand. The parts fitting and finish is different. The grips and even the grip screws just point to a gun that's built for shooting and hard use. That's not saying that Browns aren't as durable, but a Baer has more "personality", if you will. Its just the way I look at it.

I disagree that there isn't much difference when it comes to the semi-customs. I think there is quite a bit of difference. All are high quality, but they have their distinct differences. Otherwise, threads like this wouldn't have much purpose, would they?

Officer's Match
01-20-2011, 13:59
Well, of course this proves nothing, but I've seen a lot more hard use / high round count Baers than Browns, not to say there aren't well used Browns out there, but LB fanatics tend to get the shakes when they see 'em clean 'n pristine. Once the bluing is nearly gone, they just start to look good.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-20-2011, 14:00
Come on, wrestling with a bushing wrench is part of the fun of high end 1911 ownership. ;)

I actually need one for several of my 1911s, not just the Baers.

I had a gun redone by Tripp Research (he actually ignored my directions AND screwed up the finish - and it came back just as bad after I gave them a 2nd chance) that came back WAY too tight in the bushing. I don't want a gun that I HAVE To use a bushing wrench on... Especially one that is hard to turn the bushing with even with the wrench.

My Custom Springfield is VERY tight on slide to frame fit (for the first 200 rounds, I had to push the slide a couple of milimeters after every shot for it to completely clsoe - but that went away after 200 rounds). But, I got a bull barrel installed on purpose, so I wouldn't have to deal with a bushing.

Quack
01-20-2011, 14:02
the Baer is raw like a Ford Mustang, while the Brown would along the lines of a BMW.

and the reason why i say Baer is like a Mustang ;)

http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/9576544+w750+st0/p72870_large+1995_Ford_Mustang_GT+Front_View.jpg

bac1023
01-20-2011, 14:04
My Custom Springfield is VERY tight on slide to frame fit (for the first 200 rounds, I had to push the slide a couple of milimeters after every shot for it to completely clsoe - but that went away after 200 rounds). But, I got a bull barrel installed on purpose, so I wouldn't have to deal with a bushing.

Yeah, I need a bushing wrench for my TGO1. Its at least as tight as my Baers.

I think Springfield makes some of the best semi-customs around. They all make some stand-out models, but, generally speaking, I like them better than any of the big four. :)

Quack
01-20-2011, 14:06
Yeah, I need a bushing wrench for my TGO1. Its at least as tight as my Baers.

I think Springfield makes some of the best semi-customs around. They all make some stand-out models, but, generally speaking, I like them better than any of the big four. :)

My TGO-1, Pro and SACS TRP all with Nowlins barrels need a wrench to turn the bushing.

you and me both ;)

Ed Brown is a nicer overall package.
If you are looking for a hard use gun, then the Baer.

I prefer the Springfield Custom Shop guns over either of them.

bac1023
01-20-2011, 14:17
the Baer is raw like a Ford Mustang, while the Brown would along the lines of a BMW.

and the reason why i say Baer is like a Mustang ;)

http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/9576544+w750+st0/p72870_large+1995_Ford_Mustang_GT+Front_View.jpg

Yeah, Baer is a muscle car fanatic.

In fact, the Boss 45 model comes with a Boss Mustang model, or its an option, at least.

http://lesbaer.com/boss45.html

bac1023
01-20-2011, 14:20
My TGO-1, Pro and SACS TRP all with Nowlins barrels need a wrench to turn the bushing.

you and me both ;)

Yeah, I think Springfield Custom is the best semi-custom builder overall. Like I said, they all make stand-out models (Super Grade, SRP), but Springfield is my favorite overall.

Guncrafter is pretty darn good too. :)

midliferally
01-20-2011, 14:42
I was looking at both of these companies as well. I had formed an opinion but didn't have alot of feedback to quantify it. Thanks for the thread. Now if I can decide between the Brown and the x-tac, or a NIB or LNIB Springer custom. I roadrace a Subaru so I can't align myself with a particular camp on the car front. God this is fun... Money into noise, just like racing cars......

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-20-2011, 15:34
Well, I REALLY like Brown, and I don't like the forever wait of Springfield. But, when holding the gun 1 handed, I sorta prefer the feel of the grip safety on my Custom Springer> I know everyone is ga-ga over the Brown grip safety. And, it is nice. But, I just like the feel of the SPringer better.

However - for detail visually, Brown does a better job I think.

Quack
01-20-2011, 15:43
I was looking at both of these companies as well. I had formed an opinion but didn't have alot of feedback to quantify it. Thanks for the thread. Now if I can decide between the Brown and the x-tac, or a NIB or LNIB Springer custom. I roadrace a Subaru so I can't align myself with a particular camp on the car front. God this is fun... Money into noise, just like racing cars......

A Subaru would be a Springfield...I've surprised many of Mustangs with my wagon :supergrin:

bac1023
01-20-2011, 15:44

They're close. Brown builds a cleaner looking 1911 than Springfield does for sure.

Attention to detail is a wash, in my opinion. If anything, I give the nod to Springfield.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/002-15.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/006-11.jpg

Quack
01-20-2011, 15:45
Well, I REALLY like Brown, and I don't like the forever wait of Springfield. But, when holding the gun 1 handed, I sorta prefer the feel of the grip safety on my Custom Springer> I know everyone is ga-ga over the Brown grip safety. And, it is nice. But, I just like the feel of the SPringer better.

I noticed that even though Springfield and Wilson have the same grip safety contour, the Springfield feels better. I noticed this when I replaced the GS on my TRP-C

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-20-2011, 15:51
I noticed that even though Springfield and Wilson have the same grip safety contour, the Springfield feels better. I noticed this when I replaced the GS on my TRP-C

Cool. Didn't you put a Brown on your Remington, though?

I know Springfield uses a different cut on the frame, though.

I contemplated ordering a railed Kobra eventually. I sorta like the feel of the Springfield better - but it will cost me more AND I don't want to wait a year again.

Quack
01-20-2011, 15:54
Yep, I like the Brown GS, and the R1 was already high cut like it was made to take an EB safety.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-20-2011, 15:56
They're close. Brown builds a cleaner looking 1911 than Springfield does for sure.

Attention to detail is a wash, in my opinion. If anything, I give the nod to Springfield.

Well, initially, I was disappointed with the idiot scratch and the HUGE gap under the thumb safety. But, after I sent it back, that was resolved.

I had them change the Wilson safety that they commonly use to their own brand of thumb safety, as I knew there would be NO gap that way (I prev had an MC Operator). But, as I had seen several Pros before, I'm not sure how I ended up with that big of a gap originally.

Hokie1911
01-20-2011, 15:57
Cool. Didn't you put a Brown on your Remington, though?

I know Springfield uses a different cut on the frame, though.

I contemplated ordering a railed Kobra eventually. I sorta like the feel of the Springfield better - but it will cost me more AND I don't want to wait a year again.

I actually emailed George about that last night. I had already emailed and got a quote for a Kobra to match the specs on my Kobra Carry. Asked him about a rail for the Kobra and it's only +$90.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-20-2011, 16:02
I actually emailed George about that last night. I had already emailed and got a quote for a Kobra to match the specs on my Kobra Carry. Asked him about a rail for the Kobra and it's only +$90.

Yea. Brown claims $100, but George does offer a discount. I have a quote from him for a Gen 3 railed 5" Kobra. I may or may not get it - I haven't decided yet.

I might go with carbon steel, though. Mine is very, very minor -0 but there does seem to be some peening issues with the Browns in stainless steel. I may just bypass it all and get a carbon framed setup. They prev sold them this way if you requested. I assume they still do.

bac1023
01-20-2011, 16:21
I might go with carbon steel, though. Mine is very, very minor -0 but there does seem to be some peening issues with the Browns in stainless steel. I may just bypass it all and get a carbon framed setup. They prev sold them this way if you requested. I assume they still do.

I always prefer carbon steel 1911s.

Almost all my high end models are. My Kobra Carry is one of the few that's all stainless.

chrisman17
01-20-2011, 16:26
I love a good ol' Brown Baer pissing match!

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-20-2011, 16:44

Almost all my high end models are. My Kobra Carry is one of the few that's all stainless.

Yes, most high end models typically use carbon steel.

ajgranda
01-20-2011, 16:56

Can you tell me why? Do you feel SS is more prone to wear? THX

Quack
01-20-2011, 17:29
SS can't be fit as tight as carbon steel and SS will loosen up quicker.

jsanti13
01-20-2011, 18:30
Get an older Brown that was made using Les Baer frame and slide then you have the best of both.

bac1023
01-20-2011, 18:55
Can you tell me why? Do you feel SS is more prone to wear? THX

Its just not as hard a material.

Les Baer won't even give their best accuracy gaurantee on a stainless model.

Freedom101
01-20-2011, 19:23
For those who have bought the Baer or the Brown....is the retail price on their websites what you actually pay? Are they any cheaper if you by through a dealer? What would be the best way to purchase a 1911 from either maker???

thecableguy
01-20-2011, 19:37
For those who have bought the Baer or the Brown....is the retail price on their web sites what you actually pay? Are they any cheaper if you by through a dealer? What would be the best way to purchase a 1911 from either maker???

Shoot drc767 a member here a PM or go to migunslingers.com and send George an email. I have never bought from drc but many many here have and can vouch for him, but I and others here have also dealt with George and he is a also a standup guy to do business with. Can't go wrong with either of them.

Hokie1911
01-20-2011, 19:46
-Dave (drc767) is a GREAT guy to buy from and several guys here will attest to that after buying from him.
-George at www.migunslingers.com is where I ordered my Brown from.
-John at www.proload.com (now www.cj1911heaven.com) is well known for his Baer deals.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-20-2011, 19:53
As said above, george will give you a price below MSRP if you contact him. He can't advertise those prices.

Otherwise, most brick and mortar stores Do charge MSRP.

I bought my custom springer thru George. I would have bought my brown thru him, but he didn't deal in credit cards at the time - now he does.

Johan Beer
01-20-2011, 22:07

Probably just that they are less expensive and would probably not feel as guilty about shooting the crap out of it.

Johan Beer
01-20-2011, 22:14
A Subaru would be a Springfield...I've surprised many of Mustangs with my wagon :supergrin:

Suburu's rock. For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone doesn't own one. Talk about best value for the money......

bac1023
01-21-2011, 05:27
Probably just that they are less expensive and would probably not feel as guilty about shooting the crap out of it.

That wasn't my point.

I was speaking about my SRP 1.5", which is more than most Browns.

WideAwake
01-21-2011, 06:04
Did someone say "Best 1911 for the money"? That would be a Dan Wesson!

Hokie1911
01-21-2011, 07:54
Did someone say "Best 1911 for the money before they jacked the prices"? That would be a Dan Wesson!

Fixed it for you. :thumbsup:

WideAwake
01-21-2011, 08:03
Fixed it for you. :thumbsup:

They still sre if you buy a stainless. That duty coat is overpriced. Retail on black nitride is $200. They should be able to get it done for $100 in bulk.

Officer's Match
01-21-2011, 11:06
Get an older Brown that was made using Les Baer frame and slide then you have the best of both.

Likely the case with my old NP3'd one with the Roger's FCS snakescales.

In any event, I do think Browns are plenty tight enough for most folks and most uses. That said, I must admit finding an appeal in the hand 'smith hours that a Baer has in its barrel fitting, particularly at the link/lug end. That little "snick" into battery is just something I like about a Baer. And for me, too tight doesn't exist (assuming it cycles properly, which all my Baers have) as it will only loosen with use, never tighten. A well shot-in Les Baer is to me the ideal working 1911, as is a SACS (which given the family tree makes sense).

Rinspeed
01-21-2011, 11:28
Well, of course this proves nothing, but I've seen a lot more hard use / high round count Baers than Browns, not to say there aren't well used Browns out there, but LB fanatics tend to get the shakes when they see 'em clean 'n pristine. Once the bluing is nearly gone, they just start to look good.

That said, I must admit finding an appeal in the hand 'smith hours that a Baer has in its barrel fitting, particularly at the link/lug end. That little "snick" into battery is just something I like about a Baer. And for me, too tight doesn't exist (assuming it cycles properly, which all my Baers have) as it will only loosen with use, never tighten.

Both are good posts Shannon and pretty much sum up my feelings. I wanted a Brown but the more I thought about it and the more digging I did the clearer it became that I really couldn't justify the extra $500 over the Baer.

MD357
01-21-2011, 14:29

When they were aroud $1000 that was true, now they are in Baer territory and a Baer is a step up.

WideAwake
01-21-2011, 14:52
When they were aroud $1000 that was true, now they are in Baer territory and a Baer is a step up.

My eyes can't see how. Have you handled a Valor?

Hokie1911
01-21-2011, 14:57

The Valor is a great gun, no doubt (my favorite production 1911). But for $1,500ish you are still only getting a production gun....and for that kind of chedda, you are close enough to Baer cost to easily justify the difference for a far superior gun.

USAF 94535
01-21-2011, 14:57
brown for sure. one of the guys in my squadron has a dad with 5 ed pistols and we went shooting them. let me say that ed brown is number 1 in my book. i shot only 1 les baer so i can't do too much of side by side . the baer was not as smooth for my as the brown.

MD357
01-21-2011, 15:22

I don't "handle" 1911s my friend..... I shoot them. :cool:

GeorgiaRedfish
01-21-2011, 15:41
Llama is 1911 King.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-21-2011, 15:43
Llama is 1911 King.

Yes, and jennings is the top non 1911 handgun.

GeorgiaRedfish
01-21-2011, 15:48
Yes, and jennings is the top non 1911 handgun.
Or Hipoint, come on give credit where credit is due.

bac1023
01-21-2011, 19:05

Not anymore.

They have gone up significantly.

bac1023
01-21-2011, 19:07

The Valor is a nice 1911, no doubt, but its no Les Baer.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-21-2011, 21:22
Or Hipoint, come on give credit where credit is due.

No, Jennings is the cream of the crop :rofl:

bac1023
01-21-2011, 21:25
Llama is 1911 King.

:rofl:

WideAwake
01-22-2011, 09:26
The Valor is a nice 1911, no doubt, but its no Les Baer.

The Les Baer is a nice 1911 no doubt but it's no Valor. If you can be specific it sounds the same both ways.

Officer's Match
01-22-2011, 09:33
The Les Baer is a nice 1911 no doubt but it's no Valor. If you can be specific it sounds the same both ways.

I do think the Valor is fairly close to a production line equivalent to a LB. If SA would use all non-MIM parts in it's TRP like DW does, I'd put the TRP even closer to a LB. But there is really no replacement for the hand fitted tolerances that you get in a Baer. And for me, there is just a feel that a LB gives in my hands - subjective and hard to describe.

GeorgiaRedfish
01-22-2011, 10:28
Sorry but I think I'll trust Bac on the subject. He has fondled more 1911s than Hefner has blonds.

MajorD
01-22-2011, 10:31
I think it comes down to porsche vs ferarri - both in the same class with minimal +/- between the two.

MD357
01-22-2011, 10:41

To those that understand what they are looking at it's the other way around. Carbon steel, Kart barrels, are a few advantages for starters. Plus, if someone had "fondled" a few Baers, they'd see how well they are fit.

What is it about COTEP koolaid that rots the brain?

Rinspeed
01-22-2011, 10:53

:whistling:

NDLAWRENCE
01-22-2011, 10:54
How does dan wesson compare to baer or edbrown?

GeorgiaRedfish
01-22-2011, 10:58
How does dan wesson compare to baer or edbrown?
Read..

BFN
01-22-2011, 11:01
Baer has everything I want in 1911, nothing I don't want. I got two Baer. I believe the 4350 carbon steel for barrels is better than the 416 stainless, and I like the tightness and accuracy. They look good and are made to be used for tens of thousands of rounds.:embarassed:

bac1023
01-22-2011, 20:08

Seriously? :headscratch:

:upeyes:

bac1023
01-22-2011, 20:09
To those that understand what they are looking at it's the other way around. Carbon steel, Kart barrels, are a few advantages for starters. Plus, if someone had "fondled" a few Baers, they'd see how well they are fit.

Yeah, Dan Wesson builds a nice 1911, but they aren't in Baer's league.

Rinspeed
04-04-2011, 15:28
I disagree that there isn't much difference when it comes to the semi-customs. I think there is quite a bit of difference. All are high quality, but they have their distinct differences. Otherwise, threads like this wouldn't have much purpose, would they?

What we need a a semi-custom shoot out, ya that's it. :whistling:

ilgunguygt
04-04-2011, 16:07
ouch.:rofl:

Shortimer
04-04-2011, 16:38
Settle the debate & build a Les Brown:

bac1023
04-04-2011, 17:29
What we need a a semi-custom shoot out, ya that's it. :whistling:

:thumbsup:

I'm all for it, Jeff. ;)

bac1023
04-04-2011, 17:30
Settle the debate & build a Les Brown:

Brown used to use Baer frames. :supergrin:

Hokie1911
04-04-2011, 17:49
Both are cranky old guys. CAGE MATCH!!!

bac1023
04-04-2011, 19:58
Both are cranky old guys. CAGE MATCH!!!

I'd pay to see that. :rofl:

GVFlyer
04-05-2011, 23:53
I have both and, subjectively, I think Brown uses softer steel.

bac1023
04-06-2011, 03:36

I would probably agree with that, especially the carbon steel.

Officer's Match
04-06-2011, 05:20
I would probably agree with that, especially the carbon steel.

I actually had a problem with EB's SS in a KC - peening around the slide stop notch on the slide.

samuse
04-06-2011, 05:41

This is something I have personally seen and know of more than one case of.

Rinspeed
04-06-2011, 06:19
I actually had a problem with EB's SS in a KC - peening around the slide stop notch on the slide.

I've seen several cases of this as well.

bac1023
04-06-2011, 06:26

I remember that, Shannon.

bac1023
04-06-2011, 06:27

I've seen several cases of this as well.

I'm not real big on stainless 1911s, period.

Officer's Match
04-06-2011, 09:19
I'm not real big on stainless 1911s, period.

Not my preference either, but I thought SS was typically "harder" than carbon. I was frankly bothered by that peening even though it wasn't a severe problem and was easily remedied.

bac1023
04-06-2011, 09:50
Not my preference either, but I thought SS was typically "harder" than carbon. I was frankly bothered by that peening even though it wasn't a severe problem and was easily remedied.

I think its the other way around. Carbon should be harder. I know Les Baer only guarantees the best accuracy with carbon steel guns.