Over cleaning AR15s? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Over cleaning AR15s?

themighty9mm
01-19-2011, 22:45
Ok I get the AR15 can and does run dirty. Just needs to be lubed. Got that part. However, I am of the mind set of I prefer my stuff to be clean. Not to the point where I am taking every pin out such as a full detail clean, but a basic feild strip and clean as reasonably possible after every outting. I keep reading about people over cleaning the AR15 and how it is bad. So why is it bad? A PITA maybe but bad? How is it any worse than feild strip and clean a pistol after shooting it?

PlasticGuy
01-19-2011, 23:41
The only way you can clean an AR15 to the point where it is bad would be to use cleaners and brushes so agressive that you damage the finish or the chrome lining in the bore.

themighty9mm
01-19-2011, 23:50
Thats kinda what I thought. I know from my berettas chrome lining is pretty tough, and would take a good deal of effort to mess up with a brass brush

Halojumper
01-20-2011, 00:00
Yeah, keep this in mind, for years overzealous armorers have been making troops clean their guns down to the microscopic level and I've never seen any problems that could be attributed to doing that, in 24 years of playing that game. However, there was this one time when the armorer was being over picky. But I lived in the barracks and he lived off post, so after a couple of unsuccessful attempts to turn in my rifle, I just went back to my room, set down the gun and chilled for a while. I wasn't going anywhere and I knew he'd eventually want to go home. Around 19:00 he gave up and came looking for me and said "just turn it in". :)

Nakanokalronin
01-20-2011, 00:01
I wouldn't bother with the gas tube since more harm than good can come from it. Anything inside will blow out next time you use the rifle. The carbon build up behind the bolt is another place to not do any aggressive cleaning.

themighty9mm
01-20-2011, 00:14
Yeah, keep this in mind, for years overzealous armorers have been making troops clean their guns down to the microscopic level and I've never seen any problems that could be attributed to doing that, in 24 years of playing that game. However, there was this one time when the armorer was being over picky. But I lived in the barracks and he lived off post, so after a couple of unsuccessful attempts to turn in my rifle, I just went back to my room, set down the gun and chilled for a while. I wasn't going anywhere and I knew he'd eventually want to go home. Around 19:00 he gave up and came looking for me and said "just turn it in". :)
Lol I know exactly what you are talking about

themighty9mm
01-20-2011, 00:17
I wouldn't bother with the gas tube since more harm than good can come from it. Anything inside will blow out next time you use the rifle. The carbon build up behind the bolt is another place to not do any aggressive cleaning.

Yea, I made an attempt one time after about 500 rounds or so. Stuck a pipe cleaner in there came up 100% clean decided I just wont bother with it again. Not sure what kinda aggressive cleaning people are doing to these guns to mess them up. A rag some q-tips, maybe a pipe cleaner and brass rod/brush. How aggressive can you get with those items?
I use my rifle semi heavily, and am not always gental with it. I try to take care of it, but it does get used. At the end of the day when play is done. Time to clean. I have read several times about people saying to no over clean. What are people doing to over clean? Are they using chisles, or screwdrivers or something? If they are thinking you are going to screw up the barrel by a couple passes of a brass brush and rod, what is the bullet doing? Thats alot more force than I could ever dish out. Maybe they are talking about inside the receiver? If a rag is going to destroy the receiver is that really an item anybody wants to bet their life on? Or maybe are these reports just from people who just flat dont want to clean their tools? Not trying to be a smart ass just trying to figure out what they are talking about

Nest
01-20-2011, 00:23
I clean mine to almost new condition every time I fire it. Just because I like to take care of my stuff. Like the others, I don't bother with the gas tube. Not only does it blow out excess carbon, but I'm not too sure if enough of the pipe cleaner fibers coming loose in the tube could cause some kind of blockage in the gas system when you fire the rifle. Either way I don't bother with it. I to get all of the carbon off the bolt, and most of it from inside the bolt carrier. It helps that my bolt and carrier are chrome, so not much work involved there. Like I said, keep my tool taken care of, and they last just like any tool. I have a 6 year old Kimber that has a coupel thousand rounds through it, and it looks brand new. A couple people who really know guns looked at it once and asked me if I had just got it.

faawrenchbndr
01-20-2011, 06:26
I've NEVER had a clean weapon fail on me!:whistling:

TedG
01-20-2011, 08:00
Don't use S/S brushes.

Halojumper
01-20-2011, 08:26
I've NEVER had a clean weapon fail on me!:whistling:

That's an unsubstantiated, implied causal relationship!

fuzzy03cls
01-20-2011, 09:29
Only AR I keep clean is my goto AR. My others I only clean them after 1K rounds.
I used to do fine cleaning. That got old quick as I learned about my AR's & what they can do. If I'm cleaning a AR now I just lightly use some cleaner, a rag, a chamber brush & the patch down the barrel. Takes me all of 10 minutes if I take my time. I have done it in 5 min.

faawrenchbndr
01-20-2011, 11:16
That's an unsubstantiated, implied causal relationship!

:rofl:

Eurodriver
01-20-2011, 11:31
Something in the back of my head feels funny if I have a dirty weapon sitting in the safe. It just doesnt work for me.

surf
01-20-2011, 11:37
Most of the damage that I see is from carlessness or lack of knowledge. The more common damage that I see done....

Incorrect / overly agressive carbon scraping, especially with certain carbon scraping tools. This usually pertains to the bolt and carrier.

Damaging the throat or chamber area with cleaning rods, especially the steel USGI types, or with chamber brushes.

Normal or correct cleaning is not an issue.

tx787
01-20-2011, 13:27
I had someone at the range comment that my AR15 had too much CLP in it. I found this odd.

faawrenchbndr
01-20-2011, 14:38
I had someone at the range comment that my AR15 had too much CLP in it. I found this odd.

If you over lube it in a normal US environment the rifle will only spit all the excess back at you.
It can be messy but no harm done.

deputy tom
01-22-2011, 18:45
I believe that if you take care of your equipment your equipment will take care of you.Too clean? tom.:whistling:

Captains1911
01-22-2011, 21:58
It all depends on how you clean. Over-scraping, using multi-piece uncoated cleaning rods without a bore guide, and nicking the barrel crown are just a few examples of cleaning methods that will cause more harm than good. What matters is not how often you clean, but rather how smartly you clean.

smokin762
01-22-2011, 22:20
I only give my ARís a good cleaning after 1,000 rounds. In between trips to the range, Iíll run a patch down the barrel, wipeout the receiver, spray down the bolt and carrier with action cleaner, then I use compressed air to dry it and then I spray it down with CLP. Kind of like a whores bath.

I never had any issues with this method and it never effected the accuracy.

RMTactical
01-22-2011, 22:53
Basically, people think that the AR15 needs to pass a white glove inspection and it simply doesn't. If you are trying to clean your AR15 this way every time you shoot it you will likely cause excess wear to the weapon.

I wipe it down, run a boresnake, and re-lube after I shoot them. I rarely even disassemble the bolt from the BCG.

rkwrichard
01-23-2011, 08:26
Keep it clean and lubed.. As long as you are not cleaning with a screw driver, hammer, and sandpaper your rifle will last a lifetime..

And if parts do wear out --replace them remember this is an AR not custom one of a kind hand made gun (even though we think all our guns are unique)..

Don't bet your life on a dirty gun... Clean and function test...

oldsoldier
01-23-2011, 08:38
In my 30 years experience in the Army I learned that you can improperly clean an AR type rifle to the point of damaging it. You can damage any weapon overcleaning, if that's what you want to call it, if you put your mind to it. I've seen some amazing things used to clean them. None of them were issued items or chemicals. I've seen machine gun barrel muzzles in the old M73 cleaned in a 5 gallon bucket of sand and oil. That works good on the tip of the operating rod of the AK47 by the way. :whistling: I've seen bluing and parkerizing removed. I've seen the inside lowers of the M16 cleaned so hard it was down to bare aluminum. Bolt keys flared at the opening with screw drivers. Weapons dumped in emersion heaters with boiling water. Naval jelly and all sorts of harsh chemicals used. You name it and some GI somewhere probably tried it. It doesn't take all that crap to keep the average gun running.

MajorD
01-23-2011, 08:41
there was a good article about overcleaning in the current issue of the american handgunner- yes over cleaning can be a problem- in the .mil we tend to overclean- my rifle in basic training many moons ago-they are cleaned a LOT more than they are shot was very loose and the extractor pin would fall right out with slight pressure placed on the side of the extractor- of course I had fail to extract peroblems with the rifle all basic- they finally replaced the extractor and sping after the rifle was loanded and used by another soldier. white glove clean accomplishes little. during 2 combat deployments even after firing a fair number of rounds 10 minutes of cleaning brought it back to ready to go with no issues.

CAcop
01-23-2011, 12:00
My Colt AR-15 armorer had a barrel and front sight base he had cut in half to use for demonstration purposes on the gas system. He said it was a berrel deadlined by the USMC because the crown was toast from overcleaning. Apparently it was a boot camp rifle that the crown got damaged from overcleaning. Apparently they were sitting in the shower cleaning their guns to pass inspection.